Options

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I literally could not care less about the price of additional docks. I wouldn't buy one if they were $15 because even that would be a complete waste of money far as I'm concerned. Maybe I'm just cheap, but saving like five minutes tops of cord and dock carrying is worth maybe three bucks to me?

I'm far more interested in that screen holder I saw somewhere, from Hori I think? I'd pay like twenty bucks for that.

It's $13 and available on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9RTMWS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Take this with a grain of salt, obviously, but a listing for a third party headset for the Switch indicates that voice chat will also be available through the system:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5q3j8j/retailer_listing_suggests_switch_voice_chat_isnt/

There's also a Best Buy Canada listing that labels the Skyrim port as the SE edition, again take both of these rumors with a grain of salt.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/25/best-buy-canada-says-skyrim-for-nintendo-switch-is-the-special-edition/

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Is the switch's screen plastic?

I think it's glass but I'm not sure

yeah it's weird I can't find an answer for this even though people have held the thing in their hands

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Pro Controller is up for pre-order on Amazon US.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I think I just got my Pro Controller preorder in.

Go here:
    https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01NAWKYZ0

It says out of stock, but looks like there's a 3rd party seller that has one:
    vjs02jU.png

After clicking that link you'll see the 3rd party seller is Amazon, and you can put in a preorder.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    -Abel--Abel- Registered User regular
    The pro controller is also up and still available on Amazon.ca for Canadians:
    https://amazon.ca/gp/product/B01NAWKYZ0/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

yeah it's weird I can't find an answer for this even though people have held the thing in their hands

It's capacitive touch and certainly looks like glass. I would place my bet on it being glass.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »

It's capacitive touch and certainly looks like glass. I would place my bet on it being glass.

I would assume that glass is the given material for any screen or touchscreen on any electronics being released in 2017.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    From what I understand it has to be glass to be capacitive.

No I don't.
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I literally could not care less about the price of additional docks. I wouldn't buy one if they were $15 because even that would be a complete waste of money far as I'm concerned. Maybe I'm just cheap, but saving like five minutes tops of cord and dock carrying is worth maybe three bucks to me?

I'm far more interested in that screen holder I saw somewhere, from Hori I think? I'd pay like twenty bucks for that.

When it comes to buying goods or services intended to save me time, I tend to think of it in terms of wages. Essentially, looking at the time spent as work, and the money saved as the "wage" for said work. If I'm spending an average of 5 minutes a week moving a dock back and forth between 2 TVs over a typical console life of 5 years, that's ~21 hours where I'm only saving ~$4/hour. I'd say my time is worth more than that. On the other hand, if I rarely switch TVs, let's say 5 minutes a month of busy work, that's only 5 hours, saving ~$18/hour.

It may seem silly, but that's just how I see it.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Personally I'm waiting on accessory purchases. I want to see how the dual joycons in the grip actually feels like as a controller before I buy something else, especially at $90 for the pro controller in Canada.

If dual joy-cons in the grip works good/great as a normal controller, when I do need to buy a second controller I may end up spending the $texas on another set of joy cons, if only because then it opens up 4 player gaming.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options

Not necessarily. Lots of really cheap android phones run plastic screens.

That being said, it has to be gorilla glass. Plastic screens would get scratched up too easily.

And really, the first good tempered glass protector I come across will get bought for mine.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Not necessarily. Lots of really cheap android phones run plastic screens.

That being said, it has to be gorilla glass. Plastic screens would get scratched up too easily.

And really, the first good tempered glass protector I come across will get bought for mine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N11LOJB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I picked up a pro controler and then quickly cancelled it because if the joycons are at all comfortable in the grip then I would rather just use those.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Looks like the Pro Controller sold out, that was fast.

Edit: also did we already know that it has an NFC reader for amiibos? Maybe I just wasnt paying attention but that's news to me.

41-kcswIWTL.jpg

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAWKYZ0/ has not changed at all, as far as I'm aware.

• Options
    -Abel--Abel- Registered User regular
    I pre-ordered both the joycon and pro controller. Mostly because I remember picking up extra wiimotes and the Wii launch and was glad I did as they were hard to find for awhile - which was at the same time all my friends wanted to try the Wii.

I was lucky enough to get an invitation to a switch preview so am hoping I'll get hands on with both and make my decision then on which to cancel. My main concern is the size of them, as my 4 year old loves playing my Wii U and I'll want it to fit his hands too.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm curious: How often are peripheral sales counted alongside system sales during launch periods?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm curious: How often are peripheral sales counted alongside system sales during launch periods?

If you're talking about raw sales numbers, they're generally not separated out from the general "peripheral" pot unless a specific company decides to brag.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAWKYZ0/ has not changed at all, as far as I'm aware.

That's the link I used to buy mine. It sold out in 15-20 minutes earlier today.

• Options
    -Abel- wrote: »
    I pre-ordered both the joycon and pro controller. Mostly because I remember picking up extra wiimotes and the Wii launch and was glad I did as they were hard to find for awhile - which was at the same time all my friends wanted to try the Wii.

I was lucky enough to get an invitation to a switch preview so am hoping I'll get hands on with both and make my decision then on which to cancel. My main concern is the size of them, as my 4 year old loves playing my Wii U and I'll want it to fit his hands too.

See that's one beauty about the joy con setup, for a number of games, you have the ability to use 2 controllers out of the box.

That and the only game I'm planning to pick up on launch day is Zelda so I should be good for a bit.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    my biggest concern about the Switch is whether Nintendo of America has the savvy to land a Will Smith commercial

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    wonderpug wrote: »

That's the link I used to buy mine. It sold out in 15-20 minutes earlier today.

Yeah it was in stock for 30 minutes tops:
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-pro-controller-goes-up-for-sale-se/1100-6447257/

So much for it being too expensive to sell well.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    My card was declined at a restaurant earlier today, but I have plenty of money...it might be that they disabled it and are finally forcing me to switch over to a chipped card. So now I'm worried about my preorders for various things under that card. In my experience in the past, changing card information can tend to act as like...an attempt to re-order the item, depending on the storefront. Easy to lose preorders that way.

Fortunately the Switch itself is at a physical Gamestop paid in cash.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    My card was declined at a restaurant earlier today, but I have plenty of money...it might be that they disabled it and are finally forcing me to switch over to a chipped card. So now I'm worried about my preorders for various things under that card. In my experience in the past, changing card information can tend to act as like...an attempt to re-order the item, depending on the storefront. Easy to lose preorders that way.

Where do you have stuff preordered? I've mainly heard bad reports about changing payment info with Target. I don't think you should have any worry with Amazon US.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

if it's a card reissue for the chip then you should probably be ok since the card number/CCV number won't change

if it's fraud and they need to cancel that card number you might be in for some bad news bears

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

The best thing you can do is to look into your charges NOW, and if there's any fraud involved call it in ASAP.

When fraudsters hit my card it took my bank about a month to straighten it out. Best to have that behind you before the Switch preorder hits.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

The vita has a capacitive screen that's plastic, and the touch screen button thing on the PS4 is also plastic. I hope it's glass, but they've been doing everything they can to keep the costs on the thing down so who knows.

• Options
    yea if my card was declined/disabled the last thing I'd be worrying about is a preorder of a video game system/games/peripherals.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    yea if my card was declined/disabled the last thing I'd be worrying about is a preorder of a video game system/games/peripherals.

I didn't immediately come post about being worried about preorders, obviously I checked and there are no weird charges on my account. My first assumption is something wrong with their machine, or like I said requiring me to switch to the chipped card. I got it in the mail recently and didn't bother activating it yet, so that's an understandable scenario.

Video games are only relevant to this thread. I'm concerned about anything tied to a recurring fee or as-yet-uncharged stuff.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'll take Potent Portables for 300 Trebek!

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options

I didn't immediately come post about being worried about preorders, obviously I checked and there are no weird charges on my account. My first assumption is something wrong with their machine, or like I said requiring me to switch to the chipped card. I got it in the mail recently and didn't bother activating it yet, so that's an understandable scenario.

Video games are only relevant to this thread. I'm concerned about anything tied to a recurring fee or as-yet-uncharged stuff.

Oh, good deal. If that's the case, you've got nothing to worry about -- my new chipped card used the exact same number.

• Options
    yea, everything should transition smoothly and you're ready to be welcomed to the early 2000's in credit card technology!

Anyway, How about that Nintendo. I hear they have a new console that is the topic of this thread.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    yea, everything should transition smoothly and you're ready to be welcomed to the early 2000's in credit card technology!

Anyway, How about that Nintendo. I hear they have a new console that is the topic of this thread.

It's definitely a handheld-console.

• Options

It's definitely a handheld-console.

I thought it was a console-handheld.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Psyonix excited for Nintendo Switch, fingers crossed that Rocket League will come over.

Oh please God who doesn't actually exist please make this happen.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Gennenalyse RuebenGennenalyse Rueben The Prettiest Boy is Ridiculously Pretty Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Look, I learned the truth from Barkley, Shut Up and Jam Gaiden: they're vidcons. Doesn't matter how you hold them.

Gennenalyse Rueben on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Oh for a world in which one of the B:SUAJ:G games were on the Switch.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I mostly hate my smartphone because I don't want to get bothered with anything except calls or texts, but while I was DJing the school I teach at's Fashion Show (for prom), I saw an amiiboalert for the pro controller. While spinning JuJu on that beat, I was able to preorder a Pro Controller. My phone just earned its keep.

TimFiji on
    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    This discussion has been closed.