Options

I love [VIRTUAL REALITY], it's so bad.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I've been playing some non-VR titles recently that would benefit from using headphones but the only good pair I have is the set in the Rift, so last night I tried Bigscreen. Really pleased with it!

There's the warning about how the game is going to be rendered on two screens and how that may impact performance, but it wasn't an issue playing Inside. The Void is actually a perfect setting for a game like that.

I think I may end up using it more than I had originally anticipated. There is the downside of having to wear the headset, but I really appreciate the effect of blocking out external distractions, especially for horror-themed games. It's tough to find both darkness and silence in my house even after my kids are in bed, mainly because my wife is likely to have the TV on nearby.

I haven't tried playing non-VR titles on the headset yet. How do you do this? Is it through Steam or something else?

There's a free app called bigscreen on the oculus store that lets you display your desktop virtually on a.. you guessed it.. big screen.

How did I miss that? I'll check it out.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Well, this is certainly an interesting teaser:

26220888_1165201476943260_3702550599348011510_o.png?oh=b697ff2201d4e49db08a2371070681b1&oe=5AB2311B

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    give me more pixelsssszzzz

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    It's crazy that we're coming up on the 2 year anniversary, but 2-3 years is when most people were predicting a gen 2 or something along those lines. It will have to be pretty sweet for me to drop $$$ on it given my investment already, but progress is cool!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Well, this is certainly an interesting teaser:

26220888_1165201476943260_3702550599348011510_o.png?oh=b697ff2201d4e49db08a2371070681b1&oe=5AB2311B

I am hoping it is an add on to existing units mainly because I am not going to replace my current one yet but if it's a new one then cool

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I can't imagine a solution that ups the resolution without requiring a complete new HMD, which is a bummer, but as Fiatil said, I'll take progress!

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    If it comes with Lighthouse 2 I'm ok with it. I can offload my old Vive to friends/parents then.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I was one of those people predicting a Gen 2 in 2018. Better resolution, inside out tracking, lower latency. And VR game design has improved by leaps and bounds in the last 2 years! (I, for one, find it amazing that all of the stuff we thought was going to be awesome in VR - cockpit games especially - turn out to be vomit machines, and the stuff that we thought was going to be stupid/silly - like 3rd person platformers - are actually a ton of fun in VR!)

26904.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I just got an OR and if some new hotness get's announced this soon after I've bought in then I'm going to be pissed! It will be the New 3DS all over again!

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I would be surprised if it has inside out tracking given the new lighthouses and all of their investment in lighthouse in general. It may not be enough to constitute a Vive 2 either, but it should be interesting to see!

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I just got an OR and if some new hotness get's announced this soon after I've bought in then I'm going to be pissed! It will be the New 3DS all over again!

Eh, we also paid like half as much as whatever this will cost. The Rift is cool enough already that we’ll probably be happy for a while to come.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm okay with current resolutions, I want psvr to get another sensor/lighthouse ;(

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    If it also includes the new tracking AND the knuckles controllers, I might have to finally buy in. Increased fov too, even by 10-20 degrees would make that a definite, but I'm probably just dreaming.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Yeah, I was one of those people predicting a Gen 2 in 2018. Better resolution, inside out tracking, lower latency. And VR game design has improved by leaps and bounds in the last 2 years! (I, for one, find it amazing that all of the stuff we thought was going to be awesome in VR - cockpit games especially - turn out to be vomit machines, and the stuff that we thought was going to be stupid/silly - like 3rd person platformers - are actually a ton of fun in VR!)

I love me some cockpit games. War Thunder is great, though I really could use some more resolution. Justy lucky vis a vis the vomit thing I guess.

Bummed that there isn't a good stompy robot multiplayer game though.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Cockpit games are one of the few that nearly never causes illness.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I don't understand how people can check out Google Earth VR and be meh. For me, it's close to a killer app, together with Superhot and Lone Echo.

Though I can imagine that it makes a huge difference if you check out places that are actually modelled in 3D first, rather than the kind of places that are just a blurry pancake texture. It's weird that the place where I grew up, which has fewer than 3000 inhabitants, has 3D buildings while some much bigger places in the same country are flat, flat, flat.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I don't understand how people can check out Google Earth VR and be meh. For me, it's close to a killer app, together with Superhot and Lone Echo.

Though I can imagine that it makes a huge difference if you check out places that are actually modelled in 3D first, rather than the kind of places that are just a blurry pancake texture. It's weird that the place where I grew up, which has fewer than 3000 inhabitants, has 3D buildings while some much bigger places in the same country are flat, flat, flat.

That's what the enhanced stuff like the lab VR peak are for.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Sure, but there's a special magic to visiting places in VR that you actually know in real life and flying over them like a goddamned bird. That magic is lost if those places are only 2D textures without any 3D modelling.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    I wish you could actually fly over them like a bird, and not an awkwardly hovering drone. Hopefully as it develops, they keep the Google earth VR api as freely adaptable as the non-vr version.

• Options
    I thought Google Earth was amazing in the limited time I spent with it. However, it’s also the only VR experience that has made me feel actively nauseous, so I’ve put it to the side for now until I get my legs under me a little more. I agree that it’s a pretty killer app though.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Man. VRChat is so fucking weird. I kind of love it.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Man. VRChat is so fucking weird. I kind of love it.

I logged on for 5 seconds and Shrek immediately started yelling at me about Uganda or some shit. It was too much. I'm gonna need some kind of support if I'm going to go back in there.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    So finally bought in and got myself a rift about a month ago. Just getting time to really play with it now, thanks to holiday travel. I think I probably picked up a dozen or so VR games over the winter sales, so the timing was good.

Can we talk about how frigging wonderful Audioshield is? I can't get enough of it. Despite all the other great games (superhot and robo recall are both incredible) I just keep coming back to Audioshield. I've been having so much damn fun going through my music library and trying new songs. It's just fantastic! It's a bit of a workout and it's fun to try to dance like a crazy person while hitting the orbs. Are there any other similar music/fitness games out there?

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    So finally bought in and got myself a rift about a month ago. Just getting time to really play with it now, thanks to holiday travel. I think I probably picked up a dozen or so VR games over the winter sales, so the timing was good.

Can we talk about how frigging wonderful Audioshield is? I can't get enough of it. Despite all the other great games (superhot and robo recall are both incredible) I just keep coming back to Audioshield. I've been having so much damn fun going through my music library and trying new songs. It's just fantastic! It's a bit of a workout and it's fun to try to dance like a crazy person while hitting the orbs. Are there any other similar music/fitness games out there?

For me the lack of Spotify integration makes it a pointless exercise. It's been 3 or 4 years since I listened to any music that wasn't streamed.

• Options
    Played Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes for a good long while earlier with my wife and daughter. We had an absolute blast, taking turns as the defusor and manual readers. We had a couple of times where we’d defused the bomb with literally seconds left, and we cheered like we’d just defused an actual real bomb.

So much fun. VR isn’t necessarily for this one but it’s amazing how much it adds to the experience.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Played Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes for a good long while earlier with my wife and daughter. We had an absolute blast, taking turns as the defusor and manual readers. We had a couple of times where we’d defused the bomb with literally seconds left, and we cheered like we’d just defused an actual real bomb.

So much fun. VR isn’t necessarily for this one but it’s amazing how much it adds to the experience.

I've owned KTaNE for about a year, and have yet to load it up. I really need to play it, I even printed out the entire manual, which I'm sure is now outdated. Next time I have friends over, I have to make a point of trying it out.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    So, Vive Pro and Intel-based wireless later. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7oxm7b/htc_announces_vive_pro_and_vive_wireless_adapters/

I'm gonna need more info. Does increased resolution also mean increased PC requirements? Will it be Lighthouse 2.0 compatible? Will the headset be available stand-alone?

The low-resolution of current Vive is *just* bad enough in games like OrbusVR and maybe stuff like Elite that I would consider upgrading if at least 2 of those questions are answered in the way I want (No, yes, yes)

Dracil on
  • Options
    Increased resolution will absolutely require increased PC power. Guaranteed.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

For me the lack of Spotify integration makes it a pointless exercise. It's been 3 or 4 years since I listened to any music that wasn't streamed.

Can see how that's a bummer. I don't use it myself so not really an issue. It was also $10 on sale so I really can't complain about anything. It does stutter a bit when loading my library, but it's parsing a huge amount of data in a fairly quick amount of time, so again, can't complain.

Been playing a bit of Ultrawings and Dirt Rally as well. They're both great, though Dirt Rally is incredible in VR. Definitely makes me a better driver. Ultrawings is pretty fun so far, but it is taking longer than I'd like to unlock anything past the starting ultralight. Still feels pretty good to fly though.

Has anyone tried VTOL VR? Almost bought it on sale, but it looked really complicated, and I'd already spent more than I'd planned to on VR stuff.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    So, Vive Pro and Intel-based wireless later. https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/7oxm7b/htc_announces_vive_pro_and_vive_wireless_adapters/

I'm gonna need more info. Does increased resolution also mean increased PC requirements? Will it be Lighthouse 2.0 compatible? Will the headset be available stand-alone?

The low-resolution of current Vive is *just* bad enough in games like OrbusVR and maybe stuff like Elite that I would consider upgrading if at least 2 of those questions are answered in the way I want (No, yes, yes)

interesting, will certainly want to know more about the wireless adapters. I also want to see a release date for those prototype controllers Vive had going a year and a bit ago.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    I want to know if the higher resolution translates to larger fov

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm not as afraid of higher resolution performance demands as I was when these launched. I have supersampling on almost 100% of the time now with a 980 Ti -- my default is about 1.5x. If it's a made for VR game the requirements are almost always really low, and I can keep 90 frames with much less jaggy.

On the other side you have FO4 VR, which I'm not hitting 90 frames on and have SS at around 1.8. With asynchronous reprojection the sub 90 frames aren't super noticable, and it's well worth the tradeoff for how much better it looks.

Soo yeah, I can just turn supersampling down or off to compensate -- same effective # of pixels being rendered, just on a higher resolution display.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Increased resolution will absolutely require increased PC power. Guaranteed.

Only if you run at that higher resolution. A higher resolution screen run at current resolutions would still look nicer.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Ok, available as upgrade-only, compatible with LH 2.0. That's enough for me to go for it unless the price is stupid. Sometime later this year I might go for a CPU upgrade.

Dracil on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

Neat! Maybe I'll finally pickup a VR headset besides my daydream/pixel, seems like there's enough software for me to enjoy out there now.

edit: Also wireless doohickey:

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Do we know if the Pro comes with the new Lighthouse sensors and knuckle controllers? Or are those going to be separate purchases?

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Do we know if the Pro comes with the new Lighthouse sensors and knuckle controllers? Or are those going to be separate purchases?

https://uploadvr.com/first-htc-vive-pro

Standalone in Q1, bundled later in 2018. Presumably with the 2.0 lighthouses (whose main advantage, I'm given to understand, is lower cost), but I don't think anything's been announced regarding the Knuckles controllers yet. Wireless appears to be a separate add-on for sure.

• Options
    I would have to assume it supports the gen 1 basestations if it's shipping standalone -- and obviously the controllers. If that's true then hey, maybe! It's a lot more appealing than paying $800 for something bundled with stuff I already have. Obviously need to see that $$$$ figure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    How good is the market for standalone Vive 1.0 headsets, though? It would help to mitigate upgrade cost by selling my old stuff, but I don't reckon anyone wants to buy it without lighthouses, controllers, etc.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    It can always just be a backup. And there's probably always people who broke their headset and don't wanna deal with Vive repair (especially in out-of-support countries) who'll pay for a cheap pre-owned headset.

Like, if I was ever bringing my Vive around for demoing I'd probably feel less worried bringing the old headset.

Dracil on
This discussion has been closed.