As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [House] thread and the people who live in them.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I swear a typed a post about invisible dog fences in here...

... Where did I put that post?

In the Marvel thread :D

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ketar wrote: »

In the Marvel thread :D

That's better than the alternative which is I thought I made the post but didn't.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I don't want to ruin the magic for you, but those are just a stiff lead attached to an empty collar. You don't need a fence, you can just keep it in the closet.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure he was talking about a dog FENCE which is invisible, not a fence for invisible dogs. I mean, you can use any fence for that. The yard behind it will look the same either way.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2018
    ugh boston
    People post sublet opportunities on the university marketplace sometimes. Studio apartment with a kitchenette the size of my ass: $2500+
    so dispiriting.

tynic on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    "come live in my murder closet, $3k a month"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Tearing up the bathroom floor. It is coming up like loose dirt. The cheap assholes used particleboard instead of plywood. Wax seal around the toilet wasn't installed right, completely obliterated.

One bit of good news though, there's a wood subfloor between the floor and the joists.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    that sounds like a nightmare delz, good luck

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    rsxmdcavq1n5.jpg

No idea what's going on here. Is that warped PVC pipe? Was the last guy to work on this just hoping the wax ring would fill any gaps or something?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shit, that looks like a cardboard mailing tube to me.

• Options
    kind of looks like either a really old ceramic one, or, possibly, some old style metal pipe.

but yeah looks like a cardboard tube doesn't it

• Options
    Given that the flange is brass I'm pretty sure it's actually lead pipe. So I'll be replacing the flange with one of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-in-PVC-DWV-Replacement-Closet-Flange-43539/100139480

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    NOOOOOOOO! That is a hole that no human should ever need to see.

• Options
    Just got back from Home Depot with plywood, fake marble tile, and the necessary flange/seal. $160 bucks. One of the coolest things about homeownership, if you're willing to do things yourself, is that you realize there's nothing magical about a house. It's all just wood, metal, and stone.

• Options
    And one of the best parts is if you're willing to put a little elbow grease into things, it's actually fairly inexpensive to renovate and repair things. This is why I don't get landlords, sure, maybe it only costs you 50% to half ass and band aid things, but if you have to repair it ever 2-3 years.. maybe it'd be cheaper just to tear it out and fix shit.

• Options
    I'm annoyed, my 60" vizio that's 2.5 years old won't turn on anymore and it's definitely out of warranty at this point.

• Options
    nngaib4pak9s.jpg

Laid out the tile to give my wife an idea what it'll look like. For reference, my adjacent bathroom, which I probably will do eventually but not this month, has the same ugly yellowish linoleum I'm replacing here.

qypfc8d5wx2u.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I'm annoyed, my 60" vizio that's 2.5 years old won't turn on anymore and it's definitely out of warranty at this point.

Time to bust out the multimeter and soldering iron!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    could just be a burnt out fuse. Bust that bad boy open.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Yeah supposedly it's a problem with this model that the standby stuff burns out.. but I don't really want to fuck around with it either because I hate working soldering irons.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Whelp. Initially seeing those cats on our front stoop camera was cute. Now it's starting to become a bit of a worry, because there's a female who seems to be in heat, and some males looking for her after she rubbed her scent all over our stoop. I feel like it shouldn't be a hassle to borrow some traps for TNR, but apparently I have to be a "certified colony manager" for that which means a two hour class or something when I'd rather be sleeping. Ugh.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    We found a little family of kittens living under our very small front porch. Just left them alone and now they pop up in my back yard once in awhile.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Sounds like you know own kittens

Alternatively, find a no kill shelter and and catch them

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There's a stray that wanders the entire neighborhood but everytime it's cold I can hear it crying on our porch. Pretty sure it'd run if I tried to get close enough to give it food though, and Lando would flip the fuck out if I brought in a cat

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have a feral cat problem in my neighborhood it's a leftover problem from 2009 when the area I live in was abannoned
    My neighbor feeds them even though the city passively aggressively asks her not to because of the skunk and coyote problems.

• Options
    Sounds like you know own kittens

Alternatively, find a no kill shelter and and catch them

I think they're wild now. We found a half eaten rabbit in our yard in the fall.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    They offer you half a rabbit and you didn't even eat it? Rude.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    They offer you half a rabbit and you didn't even eat it? Rude.

Did I say I didn't eat it?

• Options
    I placed all the tiles I could do without trimming, then trimmed out the toilet hole. Got the new flange placed.

v9f7ct3cy7pf.jpg

But it's such a small bathroom, I'll have to trim pretty much every edge tile.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Now that's a clean hole you can really shit behind.

• Options
    Don't even bother with a toilet. Just use the hole.

• Options
    I'm totally telling my wife that.

• Options
    You'll be a trendsetter

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    ....not really...

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So I'm through the home inspection portion of buying a house and that is some scary stuff. I wasn't able to go on it, but my wife did, and she said they all agreed for a 70 year old house it's "pretty good".

The problem in my paranoid mind is it's a flip, so the inspector said it's very hard to tell if anything is damaged because it's all new. New flooring, new paint, ect. I called for homeowners insurance, to get the ball rolling, and they told me in 2015 they had a claim for water damage, and I flipped the fuck out and called the inspector and asked if he has any idea what it was. He said none - and that he did moisture checks all over and the house is totally dry. That, combined with the fact we found a sump pump (which, prior to this experience, sump pump was code for "oh god my basement floods constantly" where I grew up), I was ready to just bail. I don't know why but it really freaked me out.

My realtor talked me down when I called and demanded the current owners (who have owned the house for 8 months, just flipping it) find out what this water damage claim was. They have no idea, obviously, and they've updated and renovated most of the house, and we've had rain and snow in 8 months and everything is fine. So it's a problem they took care of.

So we submitted our pretty reasonable list of fixes and now we wait. Appraisal is on Friday from the mortgage company guy, and if that comes through I think we're in the clear? I'm nervous about it because this neighborhood is all over the place in pricing, and our price is at the upper end of it, but I'm really trying to stay calm.

The best news was when I was looking at the inspection and I said "Now on the contract it says there's a garbage disposal and an ice machine in the house, but the inspector didn't see those things."

and my realtor said "Congrats, the sellers are apparently buying you a garbage disposal and an ice machine then."

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    See if you can find out what the bathroom floor is made of. :?

• Options
    Buying a house is the worst experience.

• Options
    Buying a house is the worst experience.

Strong disagree.

Renting blows goats.

Sure, now we owe the bank ~$380k, but at least we're not paying off someone else's mortgage.

• Options
    Owning a house is great.

Going through the process of finding a house, making offers, doing inspections, getting a loan... That part blows ass.

• Options
    I tell you hwat, even selling at a loss would be preferable to being the landlord's legal punching bag

This discussion has been closed.