As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [House] thread and the people who live in them.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    spono wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Fucking nuts are rusted to these bolts and I can't for the life of me get them to separate. I've got the tank off, but I need to get these bolts off of the tank and replace them with the new ones. I'm gonna have to either get a 2nd vice grip, get some cutting wheels for the rotary tool, or find a mechanics nutcracker. I'm leaning towards the cutting wheels.

Get a small hand held blowtorch and heat the fuckers up. They should come loose. The ceramic of the toilet shouldn't be damaged.

Don't have a blowtorch, so I went with the dremel. It made quick work of the rusty nuts, and I now have a fully functioning terlet again.

Time to whip up a batch of Sangria!

In the toilet?

TgZNhZG.jpg

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Peen 's phenomenal recommendation I am in a car traveling to my realtors office to write up a contract to put an offer in on a house in College Park, MD.

I have no idea how this is even possible but holy crap.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Radiation wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Fucking nuts are rusted to these bolts and I can't for the life of me get them to separate. I've got the tank off, but I need to get these bolts off of the tank and replace them with the new ones. I'm gonna have to either get a 2nd vice grip, get some cutting wheels for the rotary tool, or find a mechanics nutcracker. I'm leaning towards the cutting wheels.

Get a small hand held blowtorch and heat the fuckers up. They should come loose. The ceramic of the toilet shouldn't be damaged.

Don't have a blowtorch, so I went with the dremel. It made quick work of the rusty nuts, and I now have a fully functioning terlet again.

Time to whip up a batch of Sangria!

In the toilet?

TgZNhZG.jpg

Course, it's shank or be shanked.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Thanks to @Peen 's phenomenal recommendation I am in a car traveling to my realtors office to write up a contract to put an offer in on a house in College Park, MD.

I have no idea how this is even possible but holy crap.

Let us know when you sign the deal and if you need help or anything! I have tools and can help move boxes for the low cost of pizza.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Congrats! My wife says that she's jealous that (if it goes well) you're probably going to be near the Ikea.

• Options
    They accepted our offer! Holy SHIT this is moving fast!

I'm a little nervous we aren't getting the best mortgage rate - simply because of how fast things are moving and my intense constant desire to always shop around - so I guess that's the next phase. We've been offered a rate of 4.5%, which from a quick googling seems high - but to factor into that we qualify for a mortgage that only puts 3% down payment, and has no mortgage insurance.

So the way it was explained to us is since 4.5% is a bit higher, it's better right now because the average time a person lives in their first house is 7 years. By not having to pay mortgage insurance up front, and by making the 3% down payment, we will actually have MORE money in the bank during those 7 years than we would had we picked a different option (4%) that has mortgage insurance needed.

Which makes sense I suppose.

It is incredibly hard to focus on that kind of stuff when my brain is saying "Well first run to that Ikea Peen just mentioned because yes, its very close, and you wanna get some sweet couches."

Thanks for the offer @Radiation! We may take you up on it!

Home inspection is this week at some point. Our realtor has a good feeling about it because the seller had said that there was a previous offer where the financing fell through at the very end, and they did the inspection and were happy to give us the report. Obviously we're doing our own, but the realtor said it's a good sign when the sellers are that confident they'd just hand it over.

Jeez from 3 weeks ago venting in here my wife wouldn't look at houses in Maryland, to now being at this stage is INSANE to me and I cant quite wrap my head around it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    I’m the oldest in my family, one brother bought an apartment a couple of years ago and my mom just informed me that two of my other siblings are in the process of buying houses

It’s hard not to feel like a failure at adulting, sigh

Do they live in the Bay area? My wife and I make very good money and couldn't afford there.

No

Plus my brother and his family are currently living rent-free with my mom in order to save and my sister lived for years in an apartment my dad leased and only paid him 100 pounds/month. Still.

Anyway, I have to paint the living room walls! I guess teal isn’t going to cut it for the market.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

I'm a little nervous we aren't getting the best mortgage rate - simply because of how fast things are moving and my intense constant desire to always shop around - so I guess that's the next phase. We've been offered a rate of 4.5%, which from a quick googling seems high - but to factor into that we qualify for a mortgage that only puts 3% down payment, and has no mortgage insurance.

While it's higher than the market average, for only 3% down, that's not too bad a rate. And not having mortgage insurance will be a big assist.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    I’m the oldest in my family, one brother bought an apartment a couple of years ago and my mom just informed me that two of my other siblings are in the process of buying houses

It’s hard not to feel like a failure at adulting, sigh

Do they live in the Bay area? My wife and I make very good money and couldn't afford there.

No

Plus my brother and his family are currently living rent-free with my mom in order to save and my sister lived for years in an apartment my dad leased and only paid him 100 pounds/month. Still.

Anyway, I have to paint the living room walls! I guess teal isn’t going to cut it for the market.

Nah. Just paint an accent wall Island Orange. Then people can watch movies inside a movie poster!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    tynic wrote: »

While it's higher than the market average, for only 3% down, that's not too bad a rate. And not having mortgage insurance will be a big assist.

Yup, PMI is where it fucks you with < 20%.

@mxmarks

Take that 4.5% and subtract ~1% and if that is less than the rates you're finding, then you're coming out ahead of an FHA loan since they have PMI for the life of the loan now, and that adds about 1% on average to the loan's value.

Conventional loans will take that PMI off when you reach 20% equity.

You can ask for points, which are fees you can pay ahead of time to help reduce your interest rate. But I think you're probably still coming out ahead at 4.5%. That's not even a bad interest rate all things considered. But if you might be able to scrounge up another 5k, and can get 2 points for that value (usually), you might be able to get your loan dragged down to 4%.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    My work isnt letting me take Friday off to go to the home inspection, which is super shitty, and its the only day the inspector can do it in the window we have.

I guess its not the end of the world - my wife will be there - but Im pretty bummed. She said she'll video record the whole thing on her phone though so that's not nothing.

All that's left I guess is the finalization on the financing. And then the wait to close 2/28.

• Options
    Ask lots of questions during your inspection, walk around and if someone looks out of place or odd, ask about it.

Have the inspector show your wife the dates on all the appliances (hot water heater, furnace, boiler if present, etc)

Also have the inspector do a radon test in case the home needs remediation for it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    So I noticed the floor feels "soft" under the linoleum in my wife's bathroom around the toilet, so this weekend I get to tear up the bathroom floor. Her bathroom is the one place in the entire house I can't see from the basement. I've got no problem fucking around on the floor, but I don't want to fuck with the joists unless it's really necessary.

• Options
    Probably just a leak around the wax seal of the toilet and it's probably just weakened the subfloor.

You'll probably need to replace the seal, toilet, and floor at that point.

Might be worth it to just renovate the whole thing if you plan to do that in the near future.

I doubt your joists are damaged irreparably though.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hey you home improvement nuts, question on power tools.

I have and love my Dremel rotary tool and looking to expand my collection but not sure which is the best choice between the Saw-max or the Multi-max.

Most of my Dremel projects so far have been cutting, so it seems like the saw would be the best option, but it looks like the Multi can do more things like sanding and just had more flexibility overall.

• Options
    I say you should get both.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I say you should get both.

Ha, well of course. But right now I only have a GC for one. Also I'd rather get the flex shaft for the rotary so I can hang it over my bench.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I have the Ryobi version of the multi-max, and it's very useful for some things; taking tiles off a wall was _much_ easier with this because it could get in behind them, it's useful for making restricted-depth cuts, or flush cuts, or cuts in awkward places, and for some bits of sanding in corners. I don't use it very often, but when I do need to use it, it's been exactly the right tool for the job and I've been very glad to have it.

• Options
    I'd say if you do most of your work as cuts and are continuing to expect to do mostly cuts, probably get the saw instead.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Or you could just get an angle grinder.

gxk7tiiws0ts.jpg

• Options
    jesus christ no

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »
    jesus christ no

Hey, us lefties need tools too!

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    jesus christ no

Hey, us lefties need tools too!

Because you chopped off your proper hand by using that amputater shown above?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    And like my uncle showed me all you need is a few zip ties, a cheap sheet of plywood and a couple of chairs and you have a table saw.

That was my uncle that managed to hit himself in the head with an axe while working on his car.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I had a car like that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    So the bathroom I need to refloor this weekend is, in most places, 5' by 5', with a small alcove that's 2x2. Which makes vinyl rolls cost prohibitive, since they're 12' wide and only cut by length. So I think I'm going to go with this stuff instead:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Carrara-Marble-12-in-x-24-in-Peel-and-Stick-Vinyl-Tile-20-sq-ft-case-SS1212/206403338

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    So the bathroom I need to refloor this weekend is, in most places, 5' by 5', with a small alcove that's 2x2. Which makes vinyl rolls cost prohibitive, since they're 12' wide and only cut by length. So I think I'm going to go with this stuff instead:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Carrara-Marble-12-in-x-24-in-Peel-and-Stick-Vinyl-Tile-20-sq-ft-case-SS1212/206403338

Flooring stores usually sell off cuts of odd shaped lino, there should easily be pieces that fit into your bathroom.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I had a car like that.

4ddc31f45d1638c8355fab222dcff23f.jpg

?

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I may have this place to myself for the first time since I moved in. Asshole roommate finally cleared out more than a week ago, one of the other guys was out in December, and now the fellow across the hall is leaving at the end of the month. I'll have to get the internet under my name but that's the only downside here. There's a certain amount of irony because I might only be here for a few more weeks myself, but hey.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Furnace guy out for annual check up on Tuesday, detects a gas leak (super small, but still) in the 20yr+ furnace. Recommendation, since we still plan to be here awhile, is to replace it with a non-leaking, more efficient model. That's getting done today.

I glance up at the ceiling last night and notice brand new water damage and a leak from the skylight. The roof and skylight are less than three years old.

If anyone needs me, I'll be out back dumping money onto a bonfire.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I love the idea of skylights and the minute someone invents one that actually doesn't leak, I'll buy a bunch.

• Options
    they're pretty prone to leaks, but no more so than any other window with driving rain hits them

people just are butt at installing them and are lazy (especially roofers)

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    We've had a skylight right above our bed in the bedroom since we moved in. In 12 years, I've noticed it leak once, when the wind was strong and from an unusual direction, so I assume that there's a small incomplete seal somewhere under some flashing, but it's such a one-off occurance that I'm completely unconcerned about it. Every time I've been up in the attic or roof and looked at it, there's been no noticeable water damage or other signs of leaks, so as far as I'm concerned the seal is satisfactory and fit for purpose.

However, it does act as a condensation funnel, where warm moist air from the house's living areas chimneys up to a exposed exterior dome that is considerably cooler in the winter, leading to a lot of moisture collecting on the glass that way, occasionally in great enough concentration to form drips.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Way way back I played hockey with a guy who invented a type of new (then) small skylight. A small bubble that sits above the roof, similar to skylights you normally see, a reflective tube from the upper bubble to another lower bubble that protrudes from the ceiling. It lets in a lot of light (a lot more than I expected), and he was a contractor so could install them competently.
    Moved to Florida and made a bundle off them.

Fucker.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Way way back I played hockey with a guy who invented a type of new (then) small skylight. A small bubble that sits above the roof, similar to skylights you normally see, a reflective tube from the upper bubble to another lower bubble that protrudes from the ceiling. It lets in a lot of light (a lot more than I expected), and he was a contractor so could install them competently.
    Moved to Florida and made a bundle off them.

Fucker.

Sun tunnels. I expect they'd have all the same problems as skylights, just less area to screw up since they cover a much smaller roof area. If a contractor can screw up a skylight they will likely do the same for anything else on your roof.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean sky lights are great.

Until you have a hot day and then you are letting even more sun into your house.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    LIFE GIVING HEAT is once again flowing through our house.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

My dad's used those for bathrooms, laundry rooms, and a detached garage apartment. They're pretty easy to install and look nice as well. Just make sure to keep some extras in case they discontinue your pattern.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    While I'm glad to have foiled my postal deliverer's shenanigans, this is the TRUE value of a door cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmPWpEy3hJo

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I swear a typed a post about invisible dog fences in here...

... Where did I put that post?

This discussion has been closed.