Options

[Trump Administration] Actually About Ethics in Email Administration

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/us/politics/trump-white-house-aides-strategy.html
    Mr. Priebus bristles at the perception that he occupies a diminished perch in the West Wing pecking order compared with previous chiefs. But for the moment, Mr. Bannon remains the president’s dominant adviser, despite Mr. Trump’s anger that he was not fully briefed on details of the executive order he signed giving his chief strategist a seat on the National Security Council, a greater source of frustration to the president than the fallout from the travel ban.
    He often has to wait until the end of the workday before grinding through news clips with Mr. Spicer, marking the ones he does not like with a big arrow in black Sharpie — though he almost always makes time to monitor Mr. Spicer’s performance at the daily briefings, summoning him to offer praise or criticism, a West Wing aide said.

Visitors to the Oval Office say Mr. Trump is obsessed with the décor — it is both a totem of a victory that validates him as a serious person and an image-burnishing backdrop — so he has told his staff to schedule as many televised events in the room as possible.

To pass the time between meetings, Mr. Trump gives quick tours to visitors, highlighting little tweaks he has made after initially expecting he would have to pay for them himself.

Flanking his desk are portraits of Presidents Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson, a recently acquired personal hero often cited by Mr. Bannon. He will linger on the opulence of the newly hung golden drapes, once used by Franklin D. Roosevelt — for a man who sometimes has trouble concentrating on policy memos, Mr. Trump was delighted to page through a book that offered him 17 window covering options.
    Is Sean Spicer an evil Kif?

What I'm learning from that article is that Trump is so fucking stupid that Bannon got Trump to sign a piece of paper Trump hadn't read giving Bannon significant power over national security policy. Trump is lucky Bannon didn't put Executive Order "I Trump Hereby Appoint Bannon President of America" in front of him instead.

This is the most laughably easy political power grab in history.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I know this isn't specifically trump related but this seemed the most relevant place to post it.

H.R.861 - To terminate the Environmental Protection Agency.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/861/

Please let this bill die in committee.

I do tours in Washington DC

Every time I pass the EPA HQ I tell my guests to take pictures, because the agency for protecting endangered species is about to become endangered itself

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The important part of that Times article is that Trump didn't even read that EO that shuffled around the National Security Council, and was mad about what it contained after the fact.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I know this isn't specifically trump related but this seemed the most relevant place to post it.

It will die, it's too extreme right now. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be scared that it even exists.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Anyone want to explain to trump supporters that technological advances prevent the United States from maintaining complete military superiority.

Aka, the world has gotten very small and warfare very cheap.

???

There are most certainly limits to American military power but our shit is like a generation ahead of everyone else's.

That doesn't mean nearly as much these days as you might like to think it does.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Anyone want to explain to trump supporters that technological advances prevent the United States from maintaining complete military superiority.

???

There are most certainly limits to American military power but our shit is like a generation ahead of everyone else's.

Sorry, I meant to type ABSOLUTE superiority instead of complete. Harder build an empire this century....unless you're putin.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    No drama Obama to this. What is an appropriate term for his ridiculous bullshit that's either rythmic or alliterative?

I just heard of Mango Mussolini today and I love it

Eh, I'd rather something that wasn't body shaming adjacent.

*Edit*
    Also, Mussolini wasn't as over the top. Plus he was Italian and so had good tailoring.

I'm not sure body shaming applies to copious overuse of product.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    FYI:

I may not be in a reasonably safe enough place, both personally and professionally, to change my name and marker until after I renew my nursing license, which isn't until October.

Please do your best, guys, to ensure I still can by then.

We have not yet begun to fight.

<3<3<3<3<3

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

???

The main workhorses of the US military are not the drones, stealth bombers, Strykers, or advanced naval weaponry. Those are few and far between compared to the aging humvees, our aging bomber fleet and the basic role of the infantryman.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

It will die, it's too extreme right now. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be scared that it even exists.

I hope you're right. This is the perfect bill for Trump et al to get behind and push.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Scientists, students, folks who helped our military, babies who need health care sure are pouring in

If something happens I will blame YOU you fucking saber rattling racist piece of shit

Okay one direct trump insult done for the day, sorry guys, insulting the courts gets me hot and not in a good way

Nothing about the injunction prevents the existing heightened scrutiny applied to classes of Visas. Nor does it reduce the power to deny individuals on individual reasons. Case by case denial is okay since it is, you know, individually based rather than how brown your country of birth is.

No need to calmly explain the actual real world state of affairs to me. I'm staying grounded in reality. Railing at our idiot so called president is the only way to release stress caused by the pillars of our democracy being casually assaulted

Arrrgh

I'm drinking a shitload of Budweiser tonight because their pro-immigrant commercial has inflamed the Trumpkins. Trolling them on Twitter with #BoycottBudweiser and #MAGA tags helps a lot.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Trump predicted patriots+8

Looks like falcons +25

Edit
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/828422641652527104?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
    "No football team in history has scored more points in a game than the Patriots at Super Bowl LI. Period." -- @seanspicer #SB51

SAVAGE!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    http://thehill.com/homenews/317995-trump-predicts-patriots-will-win-super-bowl-by-8-points
    Trump predicts Patriots will win Super Bowl by 8 points

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/national/trump-presides-over-red-cross-ball-mar-lago/TLr89bFABlstS4CWCk73zK/
    Trump presides over Red Cross Ball at Mar-a-Lago
    At the 60th anniversary Red Cross Ball, there was nothing political on the menu — unless you count the President and First Lady; eight foreign ambassadors to the US; nobility from England, France and Italy; several US ambassadors; a Cabinet member; and the Chilean sea bass.

Even the bombastic President Donald Trump, who likes to stir up more things than Julia Child, kept his remarks brief, moderate and cheerfully relaxed.

Amazing what 24 hours away from Washington and its weather will do for a guy.

The event “From Vienna to Versailles,” took place Saturday night at the Mar-a-Lago Club, which was done up in Old World 18th-century style, right down to the service staff in powdered wigs and satin knee breeches or Marie Antoinette dresses.
    Truly, a great populist.

"He's just wunna them straight-talkin' real fellers that tells it like it is, yessir! Why jus' th'other day me and Brandeen were talkin' about how the contributions of the bourgeoisie to the post-englightment legacy of humanities and fine arts patronage often git overlooked what cuz' of that danged ol' disenfranchisement of the proletariat vis a vis controlling the vectors of labor and access to means of production! I mean, hoo boy I tell you what, he's just one of us real salt o' th'earth heartland Americans; we all drink our Beaujolais-Villages one flute at a time, nawwudahmsayn?"

• Options
    Trump predicted patriots+8

Looks like falcons +25

Edit
    https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/828422641652527104?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
    "No football team in history has scored more points in a game than the Patriots at Super Bowl LI. Period." -- @seanspicer #SB51

SAVAGE!

"They have betrayed the NFL and the American People!"

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Today in Trump's America, Racist Note Left At San Antonio Restaurant: 'Owner Is Mexican. We Will Not Return. America First'
    A Mexican-born owner of an Italian restaurant in San Antonio said that a customer left a nasty note, vowing not to return because of his nationality.

Fernando Franco, founder of Di Frabo Italian restaurant, told KSAT that a couple dining at the restaurant for lunch on Friday left the racist message.

"The manager came to me ... and he said that last couple they left this note," Franco recalled.

"The food was tasty, and the service attentive," a message written on the couple's receipt read. "However the owner is 'Mexican.' We will not return. 'America first.'"

Franco, who is in the United States on a E-2 investors visa, told WOAI that the note was like a "slap in the face."

According to the business owner, the hateful message was connected to Donald Trump's presidential campaign, which demonized Mexicans.

"I told my staff the good thing is that they said that the food was tasty and the service was attentive so I guess that's a good thing," he observed.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Scientists, students, folks who helped our military, babies who need health care sure are pouring in

If something happens I will blame YOU you fucking saber rattling racist piece of shit

Okay one direct trump insult done for the day, sorry guys, insulting the courts gets me hot and not in a good way

Nothing about the injunction prevents the existing heightened scrutiny applied to classes of Visas. Nor does it reduce the power to deny individuals on individual reasons. Case by case denial is okay since it is, you know, individually based rather than how brown your country of birth is.

No need to calmly explain the actual real world state of affairs to me. I'm staying grounded in reality. Railing at our idiot so called president is the only way to release stress caused by the pillars of our democracy being casually assaulted

Arrrgh

I'm drinking a shitload of Budweiser tonight because their pro-immigrant commercial has inflamed the Trumpkins. Trolling them on Twitter with #BoycottBudweiser and #MAGA tags helps a lot.

People...DRINK BUDWEISER?!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It's either drink it or use it for baiting in the dumber sorts of animals

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Arrrgh

Bud Light is the best selling beer in America, and standard Budweiser isn't far behind it

• Options

Committees, it's currently being reviewed by four committees.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Found a FB post via Twitter so I'm just gonna copy the text:
    You voted for Trump because Clinton was going to be in Wall Street's pocket. Trump wants to repeal Dodd-Frank and eliminate the Fiduciary Rule, letting Wall Street return to its pre-2008 ways.

You voted for Trump because of Clinton's emails. The Trump administration is running its own private email server.

You voted for Trump because you thought the Clinton Foundation was "pay for play." Trump has refused to wall off his businesses from his administration, and personally profits from payments from foreign governments.

You voted for Trump because of Clinton's role in Benghazi. Trump ordered the Yemen raid without adequate intel, and tweeted about "FAKE NEWS" while Americans died as a result of his carelessness.

You voted for Trump because Clinton didn't care about "the little guy." Trump's cabinet is full of billionaires, and he took away your health insurance so he could give them a multi-million-dollar tax break.

You voted for Trump because he was going to build a wall and Mexico was going to pay for it. American consumers will pay for the wall via import tariffs.

You voted for Trump because Clinton was going to get us into a war. Trump has provoked our enemies, alienated our allies, and given ISIS a decade's worth of recruiting material.

You voted for Trump because Clinton didn't have the stamina to do the job. Trump hung up on the Australian Prime Minister during a 5pm phone call because "it was the end of the day and he was tired and fatigue was setting in."

You voted for Trump because foreign leaders wouldn't "respect" Clinton. Foreign leaders, both friendly and hostile, are openly mocking Trump.

You voted for Trump because Clinton lies and "he tells it like it is." Trump and his administration lie with a regularity and brazenness that can only be described as shocking.

Let's be honest about what really happened.

The reality is that you voted for Trump because you got conned. Trump is a grifter and the American people were the mark. Now that you know the score, quit insisting the con-man is on your side.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    You voted for Trump because Clinton was going to be in Wall Street's pocket. Trump wants to repeal Dodd-Frank and eliminate the Fiduciary Rule, letting Wall Street return to its pre-2008 ways.

You voted for Trump because of Clinton's emails. The Trump administration is running its own private email server.

You voted for Trump because you thought the Clinton Foundation was "pay for play." Trump has refused to wall off his businesses from his administration, and personally profits from payments from foreign governments.

You voted for Trump because of Clinton's role in Benghazi. Trump ordered the Yemen raid without adequate intel, and tweeted about "FAKE NEWS" while Americans died as a result of his carelessness.

You voted for Trump because Clinton didn't care about "the little guy." Trump's cabinet is full of billionaires, and he took away your health insurance so he could give them a multi-million-dollar tax break.

You voted for Trump because he was going to build a wall and Mexico was going to pay for it. American consumers will pay for the wall via import tariffs.

You voted for Trump because Clinton was going to get us into a war. Trump has provoked our enemies, alienated our allies, and given ISIS a decade's worth of recruiting material.

You voted for Trump because Clinton didn't have the stamina to do the job. Trump hung up on the Australian Prime Minister during a 5pm phone call because "it was the end of the day and he was tired and fatigue was setting in."

You voted for Trump because foreign leaders wouldn't "respect" Clinton. Foreign leaders, both friendly and hostile, are openly mocking Trump.

You voted for Trump because Clinton lies and "he tells it like it is." Trump and his administration lie with a regularity and brazenness that can only be described as shocking.

The reality is that you voted for Trump because you got conned. Trump is a grifter and the American people were the mark. Now that you know the score, quit insisting the con-man is on your side.

Saw that circulating a bit. Saw a well reasoned response from the right...

"lol crybaby libtard snowflakes run back to your safe spaces"

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Did nobody on Trump's staff tell him that reports came out that like half his cabinet and advisers are registered to vote in two states?

Rhah on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You think he has tome to read reports?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

"I'm not wrong, you're wrong!"

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Arrrgh

It's not a great beer, but it's an OK beer. Not just watered down water like the bulk of its price range. And with how much every store seems to be overrun with hops monster sins against craft, it's a decent go-to just-to-drink beer.

• Options

Arrrgh

Inorite?! This is actually my first time. And I haven't had a macrobrew in probably half a decade because of anti-competitive practices versus craft brewers. But my love for immigrants supercedes my love for the free market.

• Options
    It's fucking terrible. Everybody do it.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

Clearly a well thought out and rational point for point response.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Funny thing is, in this case Trump is right. The USA has plenty of blood on its hands.

...I have to say that I agree with Liz Cheney (oh God what is happening in this universe!? x.x) on this account (note that she does not say that America has done no wrong; just that drawing moral equivalence between America & Russia is wrong).

I mean, for starters, Trump is simply saying 'Well America has also killed people,' as a means of excusing atrocity, not as a means of examining (say) the moral value of America's foreign/domestic policy over the years. For fuck's sakes, his slogan is 'Make America Great Again' - not a slogan you'd use if you really wanted a nuanced look at America's sordid past.

It's the same sort of apologia you see out of someone like David Irving: talk about the awfulness of the RAF firebombing campaigns (which is absolutely true) simply to distract from the fact that the Nazis had built industrialized death camps because you know you can't defend the holocaust or any number of other German war crimes on their own merit.

On top of that, American & Russian awfulness in modern times is simply not equivalent. Foreign policy is probably a wash; Iraq probably put America ahead of Russia in terms of body count & number of regions destabilized, but I suspect the shitty behavior Olympics are mostly won in the margins by force projection capability rather than administration attitudes at the end of the day. Also, whatever it is worth, American rules of engagement doctrine & reactions to civilian deaths are a world apart from Russian ones - Obama didn't blame Russia for attacking the MSF hospital, for example, and one gets the clear impression that it was a mistake followed by remorse. When Russian troops shot down the airliner (also by mistake), they attempted to pin it on American aircraft and gave no impression at all that they were remorseful (...or if we go back to the occasion when the American navy shot down an Iranian airliner by making a similar radar contact mistake, we again see a similar tack in the fallout - the administration acknowledged that it was their weaponry at fault rather than blaming someone else. They were not nearly as remorseful at the time, but the accountability was still there).

Domestic policy is just a whole different world. Pick a decade and make a comparison; America is always the better place to live. Watergate's a pretty good example of American politics going down the toilet, for example... and it involved a burglary / phone tapping (though someone probably could have died if they'd have stumbled across Liddy breaking into the psychiatrist's office, nobody actually got hurt at the end of the day). The Kremlin in a similar situation would no doubt have simply liquidated its enemies and let everyone know that this is the price you pay for criticizes the administration. I mean, FFS, Putin literally shipped Pussy Riot off to a fucking Siberian labor camp for performing a rude routine. When was the last time anything remotely similar happened in the U.S.? One could perhaps point to the Jim Crow era and how blacks were being treated in the south, but we'd have to wind the clock back to make a similar comparison in Russia... and that's around the same time that people are starving to death & a Ukrainian pogrom is taking place.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

Arrrgh

Inorite?! This is actually my first time. And I haven't had a macrobrew in probably half a decade because of anti-competitive practices versus craft brewers. But my love for immigrants supercedes my love for the free market.

Meh. If I can get a 30-rack of Coors Light for $10, guess which beer I'm going with.

a nu start on
    Number One Tricky
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »

Funny thing is, in this case Trump is right. The USA has plenty of blood on its hands.

He's not though. Because "but you've done bad things too" has never been an excuse for the bad behaviour of others.

eg - genocide doesn't stop being wrong just because the person pointing that out is the US, who have plenty of history with getting rid of entire cultures and peoples

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I have a FB friend who voted for Stein who still insists that Hillary would have done the same thing to Dodd Frank and would also have started a war with Iran. No difference, she says.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I have a FB friend who voted for Stein who still insists that Hillary would have done the same thing to Dodd Frank and would also have started a war with Iran. No difference, she says.

I would not value their political judgement very highly.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think it's important to recognize America's history, and the awful things we have done (the Cold War has some pretty bad stuff, for example).

But using it as a justification to do bad things in the present, or work with other people doing bad things in the present, well, that obviously doesn't fly with me.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I would not value their political judgement very highly.

That's why I said FB friend. Mine seem to run the gamut of the insane political spectrum

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/05/us/politics/trump-white-house-aides-strategy.html
    Mr. Priebus bristles at the perception that he occupies a diminished perch in the West Wing pecking order compared with previous chiefs. But for the moment, Mr. Bannon remains the president’s dominant adviser, despite Mr. Trump’s anger that he was not fully briefed on details of the executive order he signed giving his chief strategist a seat on the National Security Council, a greater source of frustration to the president than the fallout from the travel ban.
    He often has to wait until the end of the workday before grinding through news clips with Mr. Spicer, marking the ones he does not like with a big arrow in black Sharpie — though he almost always makes time to monitor Mr. Spicer’s performance at the daily briefings, summoning him to offer praise or criticism, a West Wing aide said.

Visitors to the Oval Office say Mr. Trump is obsessed with the décor — it is both a totem of a victory that validates him as a serious person and an image-burnishing backdrop — so he has told his staff to schedule as many televised events in the room as possible.

To pass the time between meetings, Mr. Trump gives quick tours to visitors, highlighting little tweaks he has made after initially expecting he would have to pay for them himself.

Flanking his desk are portraits of Presidents Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson, a recently acquired personal hero often cited by Mr. Bannon. He will linger on the opulence of the newly hung golden drapes, once used by Franklin D. Roosevelt — for a man who sometimes has trouble concentrating on policy memos, Mr. Trump was delighted to page through a book that offered him 17 window covering options.

What I'm learning from that article is that Trump is so fucking stupid that Bannon got Trump to sign a piece of paper Trump hadn't read giving Bannon significant power over national security policy. Trump is lucky Bannon didn't put Executive Order "I Trump Hereby Appoint Bannon President of America" in front of him instead.

So Trump is actually Col. Blake?

radar.jpg

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

So Trump is actually Col. Blake?

radar.jpg

Colonel Blake's plane spiraled into the Sea of Japan. There were no survivors.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Trump isn't stupid so much as it is that he's a lazy fuck, though in many ways it's like W. all over again, where opportunistic assholes are primed and ready to take advantage of a weak executive. There is some small hope though in watching just how bad this administration's press has been and how quick they're cratering with the public. Turns out the ultra conservative internet bubble these assholes have been living in may be a lot smaller than they realized.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The only good thing coming out of this is we're waking up, and we're pissed.

This discussion has been closed.