Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Doesn't insurance cover windshields?

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I had my windshield smashed by a rock driving to work on my Birthday a few years ago. Well not so much smashed but the divot was so large and deep the whole windshield had to be replaced. It was covered by my insurance and the windshield was replaced the next day by Safelite in the parking lot at work.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Doesn't insurance cover windshields?

Depends on the coverage you have. In my case, no, I gotta pay out of pocket.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Sometimes it does, but from the policies I've had, even if it did the deductible was like 90% of the cost of replacing the windshield.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Man, you guys get screwed hard. Car insurance policies have generally had "1 free glass replacement per year" since I can remember. Basically it's very common here where if you get a large stone chip or a small crack in your windshield you just wait until it's almost time to renew your policy, then fuck up the windshield yourself and call the company.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Man, you guys get screwed hard. Car insurance policies have generally had "1 free glass replacement per year" since I can remember. Basically it's very common here where if you get a large stone chip or a small crack in your windshield you just wait until it's almost time to renew your policy, then fuck up the windshield yourself and call the company.

Proooobably why a lot of companies don't offer any more.

Also, depends on the area, no insurance I'm aware of has a glass replacement option here in Alberta, and I think it's due to the shear volume of gravel used in the winter for traction. No way to insure that.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Advantage of having extremely low mileage on my 2 year old car? (still just over 4500) the dealership made a mistake and thought it was my first oil change and only charged me 12 bucks and since I've gotten 4 now my next is free.

Unfortunately I need my tires rotated next service time.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

Proooobably why a lot of companies don't offer any more.

Also, depends on the area, no insurance I'm aware of has a glass replacement option here in Alberta, and I think it's due to the shear volume of gravel used in the winter for traction. No way to insure that.

Yeah, and you can put your kids through college running a business selling 3M film around here too.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Under my policy with State Farm it was fully covered with no deductible. I have no idea how much the out of pocket cost would have been.

• Options
    Most normal vehicles I checked ran $200-250 for a full replacement, according to SafeLite. Unfortunately the SS is not "normal" and was quoted at $830.

• Options
    My last car got a chip in the windshield going down to Key West and it had to be a special order because of the running pony behind the rear view mirror. If your car has something like that, then yeah, it might be an issue, or it could be that it has to come from friggin Australia, lol.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My last car got a chip in the windshield going down to Key West and it had to be a special order because of the running pony behind the rear view mirror. If your car has something like that, then yeah, it might be an issue, or it could be that it has to come from friggin Australia, lol.

Surely there would be an aftermarket supplier in the States that makes replacements? When we needed a new windscreen in Amy's Golf it cost the insurance company just a tick over $800 because we insisted on OEM genuine parts, not aftermarket.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Also windscreens often have the radio antenna built into them nowadays which can really jack up the cost, apparently?

• Options
    I had a friend with the GTO. Every damn thing had to come from Australia.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

This happens on some lower-end cars due to the global nature of car companies now. When my Dart got recalled for the clutch slave cylinder I had to wait for a replacement part to come in from Italy.

• Options

But it's a Chevy drivetrain!

• Options
    My understanding is there's no aftermarket supplier for the windshields, they can only be bought directly from GM. Compounding the problem is the fact that because of the HUD, the glass needs to be manufactured with a special coating.

Supposedly G8 and Caprice windshields both fit, but neither is compatible with the HUD.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Hello car thread

Replacing halogen headlights bulbs with LED units designed to keep the housing and replace only the bulb: Good idea? Bad idea?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I would've thought that the housing and the reflective surfaces inside etc would rather matter when it comes to light emission technologies, so I'd be wary without a side-by-side comparison test with your specific car.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    The general rules of halogen LED replacements:
    1. you get what you pay for (the cheap- and moderate-price ones are terrrrrrible)
    2. heat is going to be a big problem; you can't run LEDs hot like you can halogens so your buckets weren't designed to stay cool. Expect excitement around the new rear heat sink and/or wildly reduced emitter life. If you have room for the style with the giant flower-bulb heat sink hanging off the back, go for that. Try to avoid fans for reliability reasons.
    3. expect a change in the throw pattern; you can't put the LEDs exactly where the filament used to go. For some reflector+bulb combos it'll be minor and for others it'll blind oncoming drivers
    4. still not DOT legal in any US state last time I checked
    5. they're probably not going to be any brighter than good halogens; this is not true for all bulb types but, again, heat is the limiting factor
    6. you may have to just try it to find out

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    introp wrote: »
    The general rules of halogen LED replacements:
    1. you get what you pay for (the cheap- and moderate-price ones are terrrrrrible)
    2. heat is going to be a big problem; you can't run LEDs hot like you can halogens so your buckets weren't designed to stay cool. Expect excitement around the new rear heat sink and/or wildly reduced emitter life. If you have room for the style with the giant flower-bulb heat sink hanging off the back, go for that. Try to avoid fans for reliability reasons.
    3. expect a change in the throw pattern; you can't put the LEDs exactly where the filament used to go. For some reflector+bulb combos it'll be minor and for others it'll blind oncoming drivers
    4. still not DOT legal in any US state last time I checked
    5. they're probably not going to be any brighter than good halogens; this is not true for all bulb types but, again, heat is the limiting factor
    6. you may have to just try it to find out

1. Define "cheap / moderate"
    2. Is there another kind that doesn't have a heat sink? Seems like a bad idea

The entire reason I'm asking is my current halogens are crap, and I've tried many different bulbs but the light output just isn't there

Joolander on
  • Options
    I have seen very few headlight retrofits/replacements that actually help night visibility. The ones that do cost in the $1000 range and involve replacing the housings with custom made ones for higher output bulbs.

Throw in some Silverstar Ultras, that's about the best you're going to get out of the factory housings.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    There are like two states in the US where insurance companies have to cover your windshield replacement without making you pay your deductible. South Carolina is one of them, which is why I didn't realize it was unusual until after I moved to a new state, changed my insurance address, and promptly got a crack in my windshield.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    While on the road this morning I stopped at a McDonald's to use the restroom, it was under construction. I guess I brushed against some fresh paint from said construction without realizing it and ended up getting white paint on my black seat. Since I was already on the road I was able to quickly get to an AutoZone to grab a can of upholstery cleaner with a brush while the paint was still fresh. Managed to get 99% of it out, but there are still a couple of tiny spots that don't seem to want to lift.

• Options
    Lately I've been sucked into ICON's YouTube channel with Jonathan Ward. And while yeah, I'd never be able to afford anything that guy builds, the attention to detail and just plain neat ways they update stuff is amazing.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    for a second i thought you were talking about this ICON
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHZVy259CMA
    we have run out of motorsport names, we're gonna have to switch to a horse-racing style system where everyone gets a totally unique one.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Well I suppose I always knew this day was coming.

The Mitsubishi dealership became a Kia dealership some years back, though they still serviced Mitsu cars. But no longer. I'm on my own in terms of keeping the Evo road-worthy.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Well it turns out I chewed up my tires pretty good at the last autocross, so it's time to get some new rubber. What do y'all recommend as some good everyday tires for a WRX?

In the meantime, I'll save up for a 2nd set of wheels and some RE-71Rs (or whatever the current hot shit tires are) for racing.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Michelin Pilot Sports all day every day.

• Options
    spono wrote: »
    Well it turns out I chewed up my tires pretty good at the last autocross, so it's time to get some new rubber. What do y'all recommend as some good everyday tires for a WRX?

Yeah, try the 4s and let us know how they are!
    In the meantime, I'll save up for a 2nd set of wheels and some RE-71Rs (or whatever the current hot shit tires are) for racing.

Pirelli Trofeo Rs are meant to be ridiculously grippy.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    just noticed something..

2016 Mazda Miata MPG- 26/33/29 city/hwy/comb
    2016 Mazda CX-5 (2WD) 26/33/29

Miata 2300lb, 155hp 2.0L
    CX-5 3400lb, 185hp 2.5L

um what?

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    2016 Miata Cd estimated: 0.35
    2016 CX-5 Cd estimated: 0.33

Drag + drivetrain losses (RWD) + tuning, I'd wager? The CX-5 probably has about the same tire loading given the bigger wheels and tires so likely very slightly lower rolling losses, too.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    So it turns out that Enterprise/Alamo/National rent out Challenger R/Ts as standard sports cars, along with V6 Challengers, Mustang Ecoboosts/6 cylinders and 4/6 cylinder Camaros. The other V8 sports cars are considered premium vehicles.

We've got a 6 hour road trip tomorrow and thanks to the girlfriend's corporate discount it's super cheap to rent a sports car so we're going that route. An Ecoboost 'Stang would be the economical choice but they've had a lot of Challengers on the lot so it would help them out to take a Challenger.

• Options

Looks like the 4 / 4S isn't available in 17", so that's out. Costco has the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the Super Sport for the same price. It looks like the 3+ is all season and has a longer treadwear, and the SS is summer.

Seems like the 3+ is the way to go. Thoughts?

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Super sports for good weather and a set of blizzak winter tires on a 2nd set of wheels.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    What is this "winter" you speak of? We don't have that in southern California.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    I used to have A/S 3s on my last car, from Costco as well. The warranty always made the next set almost half off. Was great.

• Options
    If the SS's aren't a ton more money than the A/S 3's and if they're durable enough for regular driving and Auto Cross without wearing out too quickly I'd go for them. I'd argue they're the best high performance tire you can buy that is still a great every day tire.

If my Conti DWS's weren't still in good shape I'd ditch them for SS's as I have a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires. I have no need for all season tires now but when I got them all seasons were all I could afford.

• Options

Looks like the 4 / 4S isn't available in 17", so that's out. Costco has the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the Super Sport for the same price. It looks like the 3+ is all season and has a longer treadwear, and the SS is summer.

Seems like the 3+ is the way to go. Thoughts?

The Pilot Sport 4 is totally available in 17 inch sizes: http://www.michelin.com.au/AU/en/tires/products/pilot-sport-4.html#Sizes-and-versions

The Pilot Super Sport is Michelin's top-level sports tyre that can still be driven on in winter. I wouldn't call it an all-season tyre though, but at least it's not as bad as the Pilot Sport Cup semi-slick (dry roads only, thanks!)...

• Options
    WE GOT A CAMARO SS

This discussion has been closed.