As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Anyone have recommendations/knowledge of existance of a bluetooth deal for cars that will allow me to do phone calls as well as music via the aux jack input of the car stereo?

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Tesla has announced a new version of the Roadster (the new one is a 2+2 targa top) and holy fuck are the specs impressive.

Price: $200,000
    0-60mph: 1.9 seconds
    0-100mph: 4.2 seconds
    1/4th mile: 8.8 seconds
    Top speed: 250mph+
    Range: 620 miles

Those acceleration figures are insane.

They also announced their semi truck, which can do 0-60 in 5s (unladen, I assume), a 500 mile range, the full Autopilot suite including anti-jackknifing features, and "explosion-proof glass" that Musk claims can survive a nuclear blast or your money back! Also the drivetrain will be warrantied out to 1 million miles.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    noice

• Options
    I'm really eager to see if it'll hold up to some track use. I know that the Model S has trouble with heat when pushed hard on the track.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Tesla has announced a new version of the Roadster (the new one is a 2+2 targa top) and holy fuck are the specs impressive.

Price: $200,000
    0-60mph: 1.9 seconds
    0-100mph: 4.2 seconds
    1/4th mile: 8.8 seconds
    Top speed: 250mph+
    Range: 620 miles

Those acceleration figures are insane.

They also announced their semi truck, which can do 0-60 in 5s (unladen, I assume), a 500 mile range, the full Autopilot suite including anti-jackknifing features, and "explosion-proof glass" that Musk claims can survive a nuclear blast or your money back! Also the drivetrain will be warrantied out to 1 million miles.

it accelerates so fast this looks fake

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I suspect it's gonna be built as light as is possible, the battery pack probably isn't gonna be as big.

• Options
    The battery has to still be pretty large to give it the 620 mile range though. Or else the rest of the car is just super, super light and the aero is excellent.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've heard and read that the acceleration in the P100D in the fastest mode is actually painful (makes some people feel sick too). The new car is even faster. Still, gotta love instant 100% torque.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    ah man

200,000 is way too much

and 1.9 seconds is like rollercoaster levels of acceleration

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Man yeah that sounds like it would be terrifying to drive.

My forte accelerates faster than my rio did and I was so used to the Rio that it kinda freaks me out sometimes and I kind of jerk back on the gas which is weird because when I used to practice in my mom's impala I loved how the six cylinders really gave the car some get up and go.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    You folks realize you don’t have to mash the accelera...ahhh never mind...warp 2 engage.

• Options
    $200,000 is a lot of money but I have a hard time saying it's "too much" when the car is basically at the top of its class, a class which includes cars that cost far more.

Like, the new Roadster is $73k less expensive than a Ferrari 488 but in a straight line at least it'll totally eat the Ferrari's lunch.

• Options
    I love the feeling of acceleration but I have yet to drive anything that does 0-60mph in less than 4 seconds. 1.9s is so fast I can hardly fathom it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yeah they're calling it a roadster which conjures up an image of the Miata or other similar moderately powered convertibles. Something to happily carve corners on a back road somewhere. What they're building is a goddamn super car with specs that maybe only 5 or 6 non-bespoke car models in the world can come close to.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I love the feeling of acceleration but I have yet to drive anything that does 0-60mph in less than 4 seconds. 1.9s is so fast I can hardly fathom it.

The only thing I can really compare 1.9s to is the Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point.

• Options
    Jump to about 3:30 in this video for an in-car demo of MAXIMUM PLAID MODE.

https://youtu.be/izhYXO9wKz0

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    1.9s is fast for a gatdamn conventionally powered motorbike

though electric drag motorcycles are even more terrifying than that Tesla

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I have given up looking at STIs. Everyone is selling their "all it needs is a new motor" for a ridiculous price, like more than $4k.
    I don't fit in any Honda Civic newer than 2000.
    I did really like a Fiesta ST, but I think it's better to sit on my money and suffer with the Honda than get one. :(

I did get to test drive a Focus RS around the block, and holy hell would I get into a LOT of trouble with one of those. But those are still too expensive for me.

And now Tesla has a super awesome maximum plaid mode car.
    One day, I may get one....

One day.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Whoops

EpUA0WH.jpg

This is not a situation I enjoy.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    1.9s is completely stupid
    4.2 to 100 is even more so.
    8.8 1/4 is in-fucking-sane
    top speed, over 250mph? that thing shouldn't even be street legal.

plus it's not even a roadster

I mean yeah of course it's amazing ridiculous stupid dumb goodfast
    but I'm hoping they do a more affordable version.
    like a real rag top, maybe only runs 4.9s 60s and 11s 1/4's

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    Jump to about 3:30 in this video for an in-car demo of MAXIMUM PLAID MODE.

https://youtu.be/izhYXO9wKz0
    Bro level: 9000
    good gravy..

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I wonder what kind of tires they have on the test car? Pilot Super Sports?

I kind of want to see what it'll do with drag tires.

jgeis on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »

Electrics are different in that better range can translate into better performance. Stick a bigger fuel tank in a gas vehicle and it doesn't make it faster. The roadster has over twice the range so all else being equal it was going to be faster too.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

Electrics are different in that better range can translate into better performance. Stick a bigger fuel tank in a gas vehicle and it doesn't make it faster. The roadster has over twice the range so all else being equal it was going to be faster too.

As I understand it, it's a fuction of having more individual cells to draw from, hence being able to draw a higher current. So it's not that each cell has twice the capacity, it's that there's twice as many cells.

• Options

Why does the car being fast make you think it shouldn't be street legal? There are plenty of cars on the road in the US that can run 8 second quarter miles and they damn sure don't stop or turn as well as the Tesla does.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I just want to test drive a Tesla.

• Options
    Hey, a friend of mine asked me to take a look at his car, and he's having weird coolant problems:

His car doesn't seem to provide any heat to the cockpit until it's moving, and been moving for a while.
    When the car idles, the temperatures skyrockets.
    When driving, the temperature drops.
    The temperature from hooking up an OBD2 scanner says the coolant temp is 240-260F.
    He has said that last time he took it somewhere he was told that they needed to fill up the coolant.
    He had to get the radiator rebuilt a few months ago, and it flat out didn't work before that. He only got the car in early May.

Head gasket?

• Options
    Or maybe water pump? Or thermostat?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Hey, a friend of mine asked me to take a look at his car, and he's having weird coolant problems:

His car doesn't seem to provide any heat to the cockpit until it's moving, and been moving for a while.
    The temperature from hooking up an OBD2 scanner says the coolant temp is 240-260F.
    He has said that last time he took it somewhere he was told that they needed to fill up the coolant.
    He had to get the radiator rebuilt a few months ago, and it flat out didn't work before that. He only got the car in early May.

Head gasket?

My car had exactly these symptoms (except the radiator rebuild) and it turned out to be a leaking coolant header tank. At any given time there was enough coolant for everything to work, just about, but not as much as there should have been.

Is it losing coolant?

japan on
  • Options
    There might be a few things going on at once.

Low coolant could explain the lack of heat. After refilling he probably needs to bleed air out of the system before coolant can get through the heater core again. It could also be a blockage in the heater core itself.

Hot temps at idle but cool while running have a few possibilities. One is that the fans aren't working, which I ran into with my Camaro. A harness had corroded and the car would overheat anytime it was stuck under 25 mph or so. So that's the first thing I would check.

It's possible that the thermostat is stuck partially closed. This could allow enough flow for the car to cool off while moving, but not enough to cool off when stopped. Water pump could also be in it's way out. @japan mentioned the coolant header tank and that's another possibility.

Coolant shouldn't disappear, so finding where the coolant is going will probably point you in the right direction.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I had the skyrocketing temperature at idle and the cooling down at speed with my old XJ, and it wound up being a fan issue.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I've had the leaking coolant tank before. It's a pain in the ass to diagnose because sometimes the coolant will be escaping as steam, so it can potentially leave the engine bay before re condensing. I didn't catch mine until I popped the hood one time and actually saw it venting.

Also what kind of car is it? There might be an issue known to this car that can help pinpoint it.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Beautiful carnage begins about 1:45.

https://youtu.be/Y1n8F4uClUU

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    That looks like an absolutely horrible track for that race.
    Not just from the crash, but from it being so narrow passing seems essentially impossible.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Who could have predicted such a thing on a track narrower than my driveway and made up of nothing but blind corners.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Yea, there's always car-nage at the Macau races.

A biker died in an earlier race too.

• Options
  • Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    That seems like really poor track design.

It's a city track who's first races were in 1954. It's a symptom of it's time.

• Options
    japan wrote: »

Head gasket?

My car had exactly these symptoms (except the radiator rebuild) and it turned out to be a leaking coolant header tank. At any given time there was enough coolant for everything to work, just about, but not as much as there should have been.

Is it losing coolant?
    mRahmani wrote: »
    There might be a few things going on at once.

Low coolant could explain the lack of heat. After refilling he probably needs to bleed air out of the system before coolant can get through the heater core again. It could also be a blockage in the heater core itself.

Hot temps at idle but cool while running have a few possibilities. One is that the fans aren't working, which I ran into with my Camaro. A harness had corroded and the car would overheat anytime it was stuck under 25 mph or so. So that's the first thing I would check.

It's possible that the thermostat is stuck partially closed. This could allow enough flow for the car to cool off while moving, but not enough to cool off when stopped. Water pump could also be in it's way out. @japan mentioned the coolant header tank and that's another possibility.

Coolant shouldn't disappear, so finding where the coolant is going will probably point you in the right direction.

The fans are running, all out, all the time.
    It is indeed losing coolant, though I never saw any spots for it.
    Maybe it was out of a lot of coolant, or low enough that no more was leaking out.
    He said he was going to take it back to a shop, but we'll see. He's extremely casual about it.

I guess I'm just confused and alarmed why it's only an issue that it's not providing heat on the inside of the car, and why he's not shocked that it's overheating all the time.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    So to my knowledge, nobody has actually tried fitting a set of steel Caprice PPV wheels onto an SS. After much forums theorizing I decided to take a chance and go first.

They fit! Barely.
    23736428_10109342636433513_1794467175401119681_o.jpg?oh=8e7b3ec52e22b6ec631a2345198b6ee0&oe=5AA9898F
    23632797_10109342637316743_2955918480908330556_o.jpg?oh=b392f2e907c610caab130fed063edcc4&oe=5AA17D0A

Got our first dusting of snow today, so just in time to go order some winter rubber.

EDIT: Video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv8x_2MUJ08

mRahmani on
This discussion has been closed.