Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Personally I'd take a VIP'd Century Royal with legit brakes and suspension under it, and twin turbos bolted on to that V12... Super luxury combined with "ha ha you spent half a mill on a Fazza and my import 'Yota chops it" performance, you can't go wrong.

Although, I still do want to build a pro-street Statesman Caprice with a twin turbo quad-rotor in it.

Nah, if you're going to put a rotary in a Holden, best make a Roadpacer clone.

Ew gross ew, why do you think I'd rather go with the long wheelbase and luxury of the Caprice, mixed with 700+ horsepower of "get the fuck out of my way I have places to be and people to see"...

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Personally I'd take a VIP'd Century Royal with legit brakes and suspension under it, and twin turbos bolted on to that V12... Super luxury combined with "ha ha you spent half a mill on a Fazza and my import 'Yota chops it" performance, you can't go wrong.

Although, I still do want to build a pro-street Statesman Caprice with a twin turbo quad-rotor in it.

Ew gross ew, why do you think I'd rather go with the long wheelbase and luxury of the Caprice, mixed with 700+ horsepower of "get the fuck out of my way I have places to be and people to see"...

Rotaries work best in slightly unhinged applications. A Caprice is better suited to a 1200+hp TT LS/LT.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Mr. Regular did a video on the Autozam AZ-1.

I shoulda bought an AZ-1.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Rotaries work best in slightly unhinged applications. A Caprice is better suited to a 1200+hp TT LS/LT.

That's the whole reason I want to put one into an old-school luxo-barge that's been "pro-street"d.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Finally got tires mounted up
    23783805_10109362646488203_4529565984199699345_o.jpg?oh=efb326d40b3489c62ce4e0e0490b883b&oe=5AD0E6CE
    23845551_10109362646657863_6487244767852407403_o.jpg?oh=932649cf13c20d31e5eb860a5706ce41&oe=5ACA443B
    23783797_10109362647052073_4428909166926360059_o.jpg?oh=a0d04271b7c1492e2fc1db5e7f70054a&oe=5ACA8C8D
    23826277_10109362647406363_5500792729214729054_o.jpg?oh=6e5d07eb73f8a99dc349df2b45e63332&oe=5ACA5D2D

225/50R18 Blizzak WS80s. Same diameter as the stock tires, but much skinnier (225mm vs 245/275 staggered).

Got our first dusting of snow last night and they seem promising. Had a little fun working out how much throttle I could dial in on an on-ramp before the stability control started to step in.

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    Aw crap, that reminds me. Time to turn on the garage heat and swap on the snowies.

Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    mRahmani wrote: »
    23783805_10109362646488203_4529565984199699345_o.jpg?oh=efb326d40b3489c62ce4e0e0490b883b&oe=5AD0E6CE
    23845551_10109362646657863_6487244767852407403_o.jpg?oh=932649cf13c20d31e5eb860a5706ce41&oe=5ACA443B
    23783797_10109362647052073_4428909166926360059_o.jpg?oh=a0d04271b7c1492e2fc1db5e7f70054a&oe=5ACA8C8D
    23826277_10109362647406363_5500792729214729054_o.jpg?oh=6e5d07eb73f8a99dc349df2b45e63332&oe=5ACA5D2D

225/50R18 Blizzak WS80s. Same diameter as the stock tires, but much skinnier (225mm vs 245/275 staggered).

Got our first dusting of snow last night and they seem promising. Had a little fun working out how much throttle I could dial in on an on-ramp before the stability control started to step in.

Careful man, I heard that driving an RWD car in the snow is a guaranteed fatal crash.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    mRahmani wrote: »

Careful man, I heard that driving an RWD car in the snow is a guaranteed fatal crash.

I'll never forget driving home from the weekly Magic: the Gathering tournament in my Fiero in the middle of a near-blizzard (it wasn't quite windy enough but it was snowing 1.5"+ an hour and there was a good 2 or 3 inches on the road already) in the middle of the night. Came up on a set of tail lights, got close enough to see it was a Subaru WRX STi with a bunch of replica rally decals on it. They were crawling along at about 10mph. I followed behind them for a while but eventually I couldn't take the pace anymore and I passed them. I couldn't see their faces but I assume they had to be totally flabbergasted.

jgeis on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Got the snows on the van already, doing the bimmer this morning.

• Options
    Uhg, paint is flaking off one of the doors that got repaired after I was sideswiped earlier this year. I took it in and they took pictures and a few guys looked at it, but the repair shop's manager wasn't in so I have to wait until Monday to talk to him. It should be repaired under warranty but hopefully they won't try to weasel out of it, they're one of the bigger paint/repair shops in the LA area so they should hold up their end.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    SIGH the door stay on the front passenger side of the Liberty [Subaru Legacy, not a jeep] was making awful cracking sounds until Dad noticed that one nut was missing and the other was loose on the door side, so I did it up, found the other nut, then over tightened it and tore the stud off. In my defence it was real weak and it felt more like I was pulling something up against a spring rather than overdoing it. So anyway now the door card is off and I either need a new thing or I need to dremel out the stud and replace it with a bolt. Which might be quicker but slightly more annoying. Also I should do the other one while I'm there if I do that because I'll likely tear that one off too otherwise (I also was over torquing it but not to destruction).

It me, the overtorquer.

pimento on
  • Options
    SIGH the door stay on the front passenger side of the Liberty [Subaru Legacy, not a jeep] was making awful cracking sounds until Dad noticed that one nut was missing and the other was loose on the door side, so I did it up, found the other nut, then over tightened it and tore the stud off. In my defence it was real weak and it felt more like I was pulling something up against a spring rather than overdoing it. So anyway now the door card is off and I either need a new thing or I need to dremel out the stud and replace it with a bolt. Which might be quicker but slightly more annoying. Also I should do the other one while I'm there if I do that because I'll likely tear that one off too otherwise (I also was over torquing it but not to destruction).

It me, the overtorquer.

Just tek screw a length of old seatbelt onto the door and frame, that'll do the trick!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Just super glue that shit on

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    UGH I can't get in there with the dremel to cut through the welds and hitting it with a big hammer didn't work. Screw it, I'll wait until I can get a new one.

But I'll be grumbling about it the whole time.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I got pulled over for my first time on the way to the ER this morning (for doing 50 in a 45...)

They let me off with a warning but still not a fun thing to happen when you haven't had it happen before and also can hardly breath due to bronchitis.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I got pulled over for my first time on the way to the ER this morning (for doing 50 in a 45...)

They let me off with a warning but still not a fun thing to happen when you haven't had it happen before and also can hardly breath due to bronchitis.

That sucks. Getting pulled over for 5 over means that cop either had a quota to fill and then felt bad because you were on your way to the ER, or they were just bored.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Eh, you get used to it. Last time I was pulled over it was because the guys partner wanted to talk to me about my car. Which, yay no ticket, but WTF.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Windshield wiper motor on the crown vic shorted out yesterday. It is now always on, speed still set by the switch. I ended up pulling the fuse for the short term, and its going into the shop on Wednesday. Going to throw in a coolant flush and hose replacement while it's in there.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NokxivBEtQo

Here's some 80s goodness for the holidays.

• Options
    Dropped my car off at the body shop this morning and they said they're definitely covering it under my paint warranty. I'll have the car back tomorrow!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    hmmmmm just stumbled across a Craigslist ad for an '87 BMW 528e but the current owner swapped in an LS1 and a T56, plus some performance parts and a custom exhaust, and then dyno tuned it to 303whp/330wtq. The also replace pretty much everything under the hood when they did the swap so it has all new AC and heater parts, new radiator and piping, all new and upgraded brake parts (plus M5 brakes all around), the suspension is upgraded too. Very clean and thoroughly finished project.

Only 80k on the swapped engine/trans, they want $19k for it. It looks like a stock 528e other than the larger BMW wheels and tires, and the plate that comes with the car read "SLOW E28"

jgeis on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Alright, peeps. I'm going to buy a new car after all. Subaru Outback, 2018. While I'm still convinced it's more expensive to buy a new car, even considering everything else. But there it is.

Aside from all the stuff I can google on buying a new car, what should I do? I'm planning to just go to some dealerships this weekend, test drive, and tell them, "Call me if you want to sell a car for $X." I can wait another six months or more if I need to, so I'm willing to be patient till I can get the car for the price I want.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    hmmmmm just stumbled across a Craigslist ad for an '87 BMW 528e but the current owner swapped in an LS1 and a T56, plus some performance parts and a custom exhaust, and then dyno tuned it to 303whp/330wtq. The also replace pretty much everything under the hood when they did the swap so it has all new AC and heater parts, new radiator and piping, all new and upgraded brake parts (plus M5 brakes all around), the suspension is upgraded too. Very clean and thoroughly finished project.

Only 80k on the swapped engine/trans, they want $19k for it. It looks like a stock 528e other than the larger BMW wheels and tires, and the plate that comes with the car read "SLOW E28"

So why are they selling it then?

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Apparently Alonso will be in the No. 9 Toyota at LeMans next year, which pretty much guarantees that all three of their cars will break and a Rebellion or an LMP2 car will take the overall win.

Also, he's clearly going for the triple crown (and so he dang well should do), but I wonder if McLaren will let him have another go at the Indy500 next year? Or if he'll retire from F1 after this year (possibly dependent on the LeMans result) and go full time in Indy?

Edit: Dang it, it was a fake twitter account.

pimento on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I am so sick of my car falling apart. The AC system is shot because the compressor blew, and now it's very likely that the starter motor is screwed too.
    Car doesn't do anything when you crank it, but the radio and dash lights still work. I cleaned my battery terminals, and got the car to start once, but then couldn't get it to start again. So I went and replaced the battery, and the car started once, and then wouldn't start again. So now I'm taking it into a shop to get it checked over, but I'm pretty sure the starter is just shot now.
    If I could afford a new car or car payments I'd do that, but I can't. :x

• Options
    Mazda has patented a new anti-distracted driver system that monitors a driver's attentiveness over a given stretch of road using various sensors, and if it detects a driver getting distracted by their phone or whatever it'll adjust the in-car navigation to take you down roads that you found more engaging.

That seems like a novel and very performance-driving-centric approach to take to the problem. It's especially surprising considering the industry-push towards automation.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    That sounds like an interesting feature that I'll turn off immediately.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    It should put on their hazards and move them to the side of the road, and then have them call Comcast tech support for an unlock code which immobilizes the car until it receives the correct one.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Sometimes you just gotta get to the hardware store across town via the fastest route and you ain't got time to hit the touge.

• Options
    You mean you gotta get that tofu delivered pronto?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Pushing my car to the repair garage has given me the valuable practical experience to say that no automated car should ever be without a manual steering wheel. The early concept artists who imagined steering-wheel-less automated cars never had to push one that wasn't working correctly.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Reasons I miss my stick shift #23

Oh hey I need to move my car a couple inches on flat level ground. Why fire it up when I can just let out the e brake and push it in neutral?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Reasons so miss your cable operated hand-brake: see above.

Also hand brake turns. Not that we'd do them on the public streets though.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Drove a bolt.

Petro cars are dead. Long live EV.

• Options
    The only thing that keeps EVs from working for me is the lack of charging capability at my apartment. I don't think there's even an exterior outlet in our parking area.

I could maybe charge it at work, but I'm not sure there are chargers in our garage either. Heck, I don't even park in the garage as it is because that'd be another $20/mo vs parking in the adjacent neighborhood for free.

• Options
    I'm super interested in the next Subaru WRX STi, with it possibly being a hybrid.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    At this point it's just a matter of time until fast charge stations integrate with or replace gas stations.

I love my manual gas-powered dinosaur, but EVs are the future.

• Options
    I still want an electric bike, but Zero were the only game in town here and they've pulled out of the market due to low/no demand. Boo.

This discussion has been closed.