Options

For Sale: 2017 [Car thread] - No Rust! New Clutch! Blown Turbo!

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I got a massive divot and crack in my windshield driving to work on my Birthday two years ago. Fixed the next day and fully covered by insurance, but a really crappy way to start the day/Birthday.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I've had my car since 2010, and a month after I got it one of those coal rolling truck bros with a dual rear wheel threw up a stone that put a dent in my windshield. It's just above eye level directly in front of me. My insurance covered a patch repair but not the full windscreen so I've lived with it for 8 years now. :sad:

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is the FCA Five Year Plan their new incentive to start building cars that wait at least five years before falling to pieces?

Alfas are fantastic and I'm glad they're making real sports cars again after that period of dire FWD drivel, but when your car company has had a reputation for their products crumbling after a few years for the last 5 decades straight, it's WAY beyond time to pick up your game...

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Yeah I will admire that from a distance. In the meantime, the Giulia has an abysmal track record of breaking down even during short magazine review tests.

• Options
    I've only had two really direct, long-lasting interactions with FCA cars, my parent's 2004 Grand Caravan and my 2013 Dart. The minivan was pretty reliable all in all, everything inside the car still worked and while it had devleoped some rot around the rear wheel arches, it was in decent shape after 14 Michigan winters. It threw a rod earlier this year, but 14 years of ferrying around kids, family road trips, and grocery getting did add up.

My Dart was pretty reliable all things considered. It was in the shop twice for parts breaking, one an improperly manufactured clutch slave cylinder and the other a broken telecommunication module. I only owned it for like 4.5 years, but I put like 25k miles a year on the thing so it was definitely being used a lot. 30k of those miles were as a full-time Uber/Lyft driver too.

But they do have a bad record with the Giulia Quadrifoglio breaking down, that's true. I haven't heard as many complaints about the lesser trim levels though? But maybe those just don't get talked about as much in general.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    My 44 year old Alfa is reliable af, maybe they just need to stop getting fancy.

Also the great thing about is that it's a 2L coupe with like 130bhp, so you can floor it everywhere and just have fun at legal speeds. I'd be more interested in an Alfa Spider being like an MX-5 (LIKE THEY WERE GOING TO FFS) and a GTV being like a Toyobaru 86. Only with a turbo in both counts, because a new one would be a lot heavier than my one. Unfortunately, the (new) car buying public haven't shown that there's a market for such good ideas.

Damn people ruin everything.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »

Also the great thing about is that it's a 2L coupe with like 130bhp, so you can floor it everywhere and just have fun at legal speeds. I'd be more interested in an Alfa Spider being like an MX-5 (LIKE THEY WERE GOING TO FFS) and a GTV being like a Toyobaru 86. Only with a turbo in both counts, because a new one would be a lot heavier than my one. Unfortunately, the (new) car buying public haven't shown that there's a market for such good ideas.

Could I interest you in a bloated crossover vehicle instead?

• Options
    Oh also, other things that came out of the FCA five year plan:

The Alfa 8C is coming back as a 700+hp, mid-engine hybrid super car.

Deserthawk models for various Jeeps build specifically for use on sand.

The Maserati Alfieri, an all electric sports/GT car that FCA is claiming will do 0-60mph in sub-2 seconds. Hybrid version also coming. Hybridization for all other Maserati vehicles.

The Ram TRX is going into production, this is FCA's proper Raptor fighting truck. Rumors are that there will be a TR trim with 520hp and the full TRX with 707hp.

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

Could I interest you in a bloated crossover vehicle instead?

Absolutely! That totally lines up with my purchasing habits!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

The alfa spider is an mx5? I've heard the spider is pretty damn fun even without the turbo.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

The alfa spider is an mx5? I've heard the spider is pretty damn fun even without the turbo.

The Spider is an MX5 with a different front fascia and hood as well as the same turbo motor from the 500 Abarth.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options

The FIAT Spider is. It was originally going to be an Alfa model until the fax machine salesman in charge of FCA decreed that all Alfas must be made in Italy, but by that stage they already had the contract with Mazda, so they pivot'd the model to be a FIAT, and now he's decreed that the only FIATs will be either 500s or Pandas, so I guess that's the end of that again.

Gah.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

The FIAT Spider is. It was originally going to be an Alfa model until the fax machine salesman in charge of FCA decreed that all Alfas must be made in Italy, but by that stage they already had the contract with Mazda, so they pivot'd the model to be a FIAT, and now he's decreed that the only FIATs will be either 500s or Pandas, so I guess that's the end of that again.

Gah.

Why bother doing what's good for business when you can constantly stroke your own ego to the detriment of an entire corporation?

• Options

Gah.

Why bother doing what's good for business when you can constantly stroke your own ego to the detriment of an entire corporation?

I don't know if it's even that.. he just seems incompetent.

• Options
    Sergio Marchionne absolutely thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So I passed the MSF yesterday with a perfect score on the dreaded "Box" where you have to combo two U-Turns in a space about the size of a truck shipping container

that said, the test had the Box go straight into the Swerve test and so my perfect Box led into an upshift straight into Neutral rather than 2nd gear, and so my sole deduction on the test was having to make a second pass on the Swerve check to go in with a speed of 18 mph

I loved the Suzuki DR200 I rode during the course, and I definitely want a similar bike in the near future

• Options
    I actually enjoyed the box test, it was the only part of the test that seemed really challenging. But I had been riding dirt bikes for years off road before I went to go my cycling endorsement.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I don't know anything of what you guys are talking about.

• Options

They're talking about putting their goddamn bike in the goddamn box of pain.

• Options
    So I did this this weekend.
    Only 5 hours of work to finish the exterior. Still worth it though.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dCl4noDGbehEJJ0Z2

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    So I passed the MSF yesterday with a perfect score on the dreaded "Box" where you have to combo two U-Turns in a space about the size of a truck shipping container

that said, the test had the Box go straight into the Swerve test and so my perfect Box led into an upshift straight into Neutral rather than 2nd gear, and so my sole deduction on the test was having to make a second pass on the Swerve check to go in with a speed of 18 mph

I loved the Suzuki DR200 I rode during the course, and I definitely want a similar bike in the near future

Take a look at the Kawasaki KLX450R, it seems like a real nice rig to me. There should be a road-legal variant like we get here in Australia with lights, horn, indicators, and a small windshield factory-fitted.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

They're talking about putting their goddamn bike in the goddamn box of pain.

Ooooooooh shit you've done it now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE

• Options

Take a look at the Kawasaki KLX450R, it seems like a real nice rig to me. There should be a road-legal variant like we get here in Australia with lights, horn, indicators, and a small windshield factory-fitted.

Sadly here in the states we only get the KLX250 and KLR650. Either is a solid choice though.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    Dammit Chris, I don't have nine minutes to watch this for the 75th time!

(Yes I do.)

• Options
    Well in the very near term I am running off to Africa in a month and a half or so, and the best option there is almost certainly a Honda XLR250R with the Baja lights - someone imported a bunch a while back from what I've heard and it is easily the non-Indian/Chinese bike with the biggest serviceability there

While I had been curious about bikes for years at this point, my big push to get my license was realizing that I can't afford a Land Cruiser over there!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Remember about 4000 miles ago I paid $5200 to have a new engine put in my car?

Well, today it died. Check it. No oil. None. Now it sounds like it did before. Spinning with no compression.

I don't have the money for this at all right now.

• Options
    Did it ever have oil in it?

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah. It did.

• Options
    Shouldn't there be some kind of warranty on that?

I'm sorry man, that sucks hard.

• Options
    I'm not sure. I have to call the place tomorrow.

I just can't deal with this shit. I'm drowning as it is right now.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    mRahmani wrote: »

Sadly here in the states we only get the KLX250 and KLR650. Either is a solid choice though.

I do really like Suzuki's offerings in the dual sport category. I've thrown a leg over both the DR650 and KLR650 in a showroom recently and while I know a bike sitting still is pretty different from a bike on the move, the DR650 felt a bit more comfortable and carried its weight better. The DR350 also has cult status around here and I would love to get my hands on one (used prices on them are pretty modest too which is nice) to try it out

The KLR650 is still a really cool bike, mind you, and I've heard it's perhaps the best single cylinder ever for longer distance rides (edit: or at least, the best not made by KTM, and I know a few Honda XR650L/R owners who would cut me for saying the KLR is better but you need a 34" inseam to really be comfy on the Hondas)

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Suzuki has some decent stuff. I rode a DRZ400 through some single track trails last fall and while it obviously isn't going to be in the same league as my WR250F in the dirt, as a dual sport it did just fine. If you wanted a single, cheap, do-everything bike I think it would be a solid contender.

• Options
    Today I learned that if I hold the traction control button in my '16 Elantra GT it fully turns off all the traction and stability control systems.

This car is so weird, it has so many little half steps towards making it a hot hatch that they didn't follow through on. Slightly larger engine, fully defeatable electronic nannies, adjustable steering weight, eco mode being something you have to actively engage (I think this is standard across Hyundais), but none of these things really does enough to make the thing feel more than warm.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost This is also my fault Registered User regular
    I think most cars with some sort of stability control do that. In fact, my Evo has three settings: on, "off", and actually off if you hold the button down for five seconds.

I have yet to find a good argument for not leaving it on at all times.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I think most cars with some sort of stability control do that. In fact, my Evo has three settings: on, "off", and actually off if you hold the button down for five seconds.

To look cool going slow.

• Options

There are definitely cars out there that don't have fully defeatable traction control.

• Options

You want to rallycross it or actually go offroad, or have fun in the snow?
    Ever go ice racing with it? Or out on a frozen lake?
    Or even driven in not-perfect conditions?

• Options
    No, any of that would fuck up the paint even worse than Mitsu did.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Non perfect conditions is exactly what traction control is for.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.