Options

Foreign Policy in the Age of Trump

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Washington and Oregon go to Canada and California goes back to Mexico, that's cool with everyone, right?

Mexico can join California maybe.

They can take Texas, we'll keep California.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Does anyone want Texas?
    (Besides, I suppose, (some) Texans. The noisy ones.)

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Mexico might be willing to take Texas, if you give them California.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Washington and Oregon go to Canada and California goes back to Mexico, that's cool with everyone, right?

California goes to Japan, haven't you read Shadowrun?

Anyway I suspect the actual renegotiations to go as well as the AHCA negotiation did. Except this time you have two other parties to deal with not a GOP majority..

• Options
    Trump Renegotiates NAFTA for Handful of Magic Beans

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The thing about deals like NAFTA is that they are, ideally, mutually beneficial.

So it is almost good if he is easily manipulated in that case, since the other option appears to be him being actively self-destructive.

Sparvy on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »
    The thing about deals like NAFTA is that they are, ideally, mutually beneficial.

So it is almost good if he is easily manipulated in that case, since the other option appears to be him being actively self-destructive.

The problem is Trump doesn't appear to have a concept of mutual benefit.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

California goes to Japan, haven't you read Shadowrun?

Anyway I suspect the actual renegotiations to go as well as the AHCA negotiation did. Except this time you have two other parties to deal with not a GOP majority..

Can't wait to read the transcript of Canada and Mexico trying to one-up each other patronizing our president in 30 seconds or less.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »

That's where his 'America First' mentality is scary. Mutually beneficial isn't enough. America has to benefit the most

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    HuffPost Reporter (no idea who took the picture);

It's gold. It's probably illegal. Imagine if Obama did it.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    He did do it. All presidents get that when they visit

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I'm not sure if there would be time to address the medal once we were done feeling shocked and emasculated that he had bowed his head.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Thats actually really surprising to me. I must have missed it, and the flurry of outrage that likely surrounded it.

Edit: So he did;
    obamaandsaudikinggift-1.jpg[/img]

I stand corrected.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Thats actually really surprising to me. I must have missed it, and the flurry of outrage that likely surrounded it.

State visits always have stupid pomp and circumstance

• Options

I'm pretty sure my post is exactly what happened. He bowed, and the right lost their shit about his "appology tour for weak losers" for about a month. The medal simply didn't measure up to the blow they imagined their pride may have been perceived to have taken by the citizens of other countries.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Tweet from contributing writer for New York Magazine, GQ, Mother Jones and Huffington Post, quoting the Chief White House correspondent for the New York Times:

Merkel didn't become one of the most powerful people in Europe by not knowing how to make old white men feel secure while she does her thing.. I'm kinda glad reading this, it looks like Angie is in the mood for some power moves again

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

I'm not sure if there would be time to address the medal once we were done feeling shocked and emasculated that he had bowed his head.

Quick, somebody find the Trump tweet about Obama bowing to a foreign king. I think it was even the Saudi king for that matter.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Quick, somebody find the Trump tweet about Obama bowing to a foreign king. I think it was even the Saudi king for that matter.

I thought it was Japan..?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Maybe that's why my searches aren't turning it up, I was sure it was either the Middle East or England.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

(Axios editor)

On Fox News right now
    Cknyjrw.png

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Fox, Breitbart, et al:
    "We reject your reality and substitute our own!"

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Never mind that interpreting a bow as weakness is the most asinine shit to begin with.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Never mind that interpreting a bow as weakness is the most asinine shit to begin with.

Respect is for losers who don't win like winners, bigLy.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Fox News is right. Trump didn't bow.

He curtsied.

From the editor of AmericaBlog, footage embedded

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    He's a 70 year old toddler who doesn't understand what to do with his body and refuses to be interested in the customs of others and is the leader of the party who shares these characteristics from the top to bottom so none of this is surprising to me.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Will he hold their hand as they walk around?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    This is the deputy Washington editor of the New York Times quoting their chief White House correspondent. It's the most succinct and relevant description of the "Trump Rules" I've seen so far.

I think the most hilariously pathetic thing here is "Compliment him on his Electoral College victory."

It's just completely meaningless for any conversation, would never come up. But he can't let it go.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    God does he even own a tie that isn't 4 feet long even when tied?

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    This is the deputy Washington editor of the New York Times quoting their chief White House correspondent. It's the most succinct and relevant description of the "Trump Rules" I've seen so far.

I think the most hilariously pathetic thing here is "Compliment him on his Electoral College victory."

It's just completely meaningless for any conversation, would never come up. But he can't let it go.

He's the most blatantly manipulable person who has ever existed. He's going to leave Saudi Arabia with some very different feelings about Israel, which will last until about an hour after his arrival there, because they are also not idiots.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    There's a lot of noise for this pic:
    DASMSygUMAQ2Xoh.jpg
    On actual news, people asked Tillerson about selling weapons to the Sauds with the situation in Yemen and here's his take:

Wonder how President Hillary Clinton would spin this deal (that would be happening anyways).

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Will he hold their hand as they walk around?

Lest we forget, Trump with British PM, Theresa May in January:

Staff writer for Buzzfeed UK, making fun.

Jazz on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Wow that is a 1000% awkward hand hold

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Wow that is a 1000% awkward hand hold

There's many more pics of it, even worse ones, but I didn't want to spam and that tweet is pretty awesome :)

May defended Trump, saying he was "being a gentleman".

Yeah...

Jazz on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Tbf, 70 year olds are more hand-holdy in general. It's a generational cultural shift.

Not that Trump is natural at it, he's still awkward.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Aridhol wrote: »
    That article just makes me feel sad :(

The American people do not deserve this buffoon as their head of state.

Your insane electoral system begs to differ.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »
    That article just makes me feel sad :(

The American people do not deserve this buffoon as their head of state.

Your insane electoral system begs to differ.

Of note, I believe Aridhol is speaking in general, rather than in a possessive manner.

Their avatar seems to indicate that they might not be among the "American people"...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm just one of those Canadians who has a great interest in American politics. Mostly because Canadian politics is pretty boring and not likely to impact the world in any significant manner.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    There's a lot of noise for this pic:
    DASMSygUMAQ2Xoh.jpg
    On actual news, people asked Tillerson about selling weapons to the Sauds with the situation in Yemen and here's his take:

Wonder how President Hillary Clinton would spin this deal (that would be happening anyways).

Would it? I mean, didn't Obama suspend something like $400million in arms sales to Saudi Arabia to protest them killing Yemeni civilians?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Y'all have some of the most evil extraction companies on the planet, so that's a way you affect the world.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
This discussion has been closed.