As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foreign Policy in the Age of Trump

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The least bit of self-restraint is all it takes for people to start calling him presidential.

Just waiting for him to start dropping bombs to distract from the domestic crisis.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    The least bit of self-restraint is all it takes for people to start calling him presidential.

Just waiting for him to start dropping bombs to distract from the domestic crisis.

Also, remember he is taking literally no questions until he gets home, and then has also canceled press briefings. As soon as the trip is done, he is going to be unhappy with coverage

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    What I am gathering from this thread is that Trump travelled to the heart of Wahabism, boldly looked King Salman in the eye, and blamed everything on the Shias?

Was that rhetoric about Iran/Hezbollah from his Islam speech, or just something he rambled at someone?

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I can't find a reliable source, but there's a swirl of rumours that Priebus has been sent back to D.C?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Phillip Rucker White House Bureau Chief of the Washington Post

https://mobile.twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/866334183886655490
    Sec State Tillerson is holding a news conference right now in Riyadh, per WH pool, but US reporters were not invited or told about it.

Sigh.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Boring teleprompter Trump seems preferable to the alternative.

Not at all. He'll probably gain approval rating and be able to get some positive news out of at least doing what a president is "supposed to do" for five fucking seconds.

Not having an international incident again seems like a positive. The rest is mostly the media sucking.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    rhylith wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Boring teleprompter Trump seems preferable to the alternative.

Not at all. He'll probably gain approval rating and be able to get some positive news out of at least doing what a president is "supposed to do" for five fucking seconds.

I'm at least beginning to hope we're past that point. He's coming home to the Russian investigation, no matter what happens abroad. Hell, a distracting enough incident overseas might feel like a relief at this point.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I keep seeing this picture show up on twitter of Trump, al Sisi and the Saudi king

vnmhsbi5tfcy.jpg

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    A Palantír? That explains a lot.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Are they holding a seance?
    WTF?

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    WTF?

My impression is they're re-enacting an M. Bison moment. Just as a snapshot that looks like some supervillain shit.

I'm sure it's innocuous, but I don't know how other nations can see this as a good thing. Let's go ahead and chalk it up to a bad idea on accident? How could wrapping the fingers of a grubby rich racist, a theocratic oil monarchy and a military ruler with a sketchy history around a globe not be Austin Powers shit?

Edit: Also Trumps face, what the fuck kind of look is that?

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    WTF?

It's a globe. Trump's fondling the US, and you can see Australia down at the bottom.

It just also looks like a prop from a sci-fi movie.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Why is Melania standing there?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    What the fuck is up with Alaska on that globe, and where is Russia/Asia?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Why is Melania standing there?

Because Melania is the Baroness to Trump's Cobra Commander.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    "Hey guys, let's just get a photo op standing by the glowing globe."
    (everyone gets in position behind the globe looking forward)

Trump, "Don't just stand here... reach out and grab it. When you're famous they let you do that."

(creepy face globe crotch grab)

Suddenly everyone in the room is very uncomfortable. They're all looking at Trump like, "What the fuck is he doing, why are his eyes closed?"

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Look, old people get cold hands easily. He's just happy his hands are warming up, so he's closing his eyes and enjoying!

Seriously, what is the caption here?

"Meanwhile, at the legion of doom"?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Mai-Kero was warned for this.
    dojhel1n3v5i.jpg

So It Goes on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    CNN WH correspondent

Asked about line in speech today when Trump said Islamic instead of Islamist, a senior White House official said: “He’s an exhausted guy."

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    doesn't he look tired?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Low energy.

Sad.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    WTF?

My impression is they're re-enacting an M. Bison moment.

For you, the day Trump won your election was the most important day of your life. But for him, it was Tuesday.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    LOL so predictable
    (official fox news account)

(WaPo)

They'very always been at war with what war?

I see they've become way too wussy to "say it like it is".

I thought you had to use the 3 magic words?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So I'm probably being a puerile idiot for fixating on this but seriously what in the flippin flyin fuck is going on in that orb gripping picture

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    So I'm probably being a puerile idiot for fixating on this but seriously what in the flippin flyin fuck is going on in that orb gripping picture

It's the ceremonial opening of the Global Center for Combating Extremist Ideology. Considering the three men involve in opening it, irony is still dead.

• Options
    Wow, "extremist ideology" is pretty open ended, maybe the Kingdom of Saud is going to send drones to the Midwest to blow up neo-nazis

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Are we (and when I say we I mean, like, establishment figures) all just going to gloss over the pretty much open secret that the Saudis back ISIS, Al-Quaeda and so on, and have done for years?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I should certainly think so yes

Doing anything else would surely make the sword giftings and orb parties pretty fuckin awkward

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So it's actually the Global Center for Promoting Extremist Ideology. Got it.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Brian Klaas is a Fellow of the Department of Government at the London School of Economics, and author of The Despot's Accomplice: How the West is Aiding & Abetting in the Decline of Democracy; he was also a pundit (for the Democrat side) in Channel 4 UK's election debate coverage.

• Options
    I could write for days about just the look on the Kings face, what even is that, did his buried consciousness rise to the surface for a moment, he looks like he just suddenly realized who he is and where he is and who he's with

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I could write for days about just the look on the Kings face, what even is that, did his buried consciousness rise to the surface for a moment, he looks like he just suddenly realized who he is and where he is and who he's with

I think he just caught his reflection in the globe.

Inner monologue: "Oh boy"

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Everywhere I am seeing the signs of media tipping the brims of their hats to the surprising non-fuckup of a speech that was the President's performance. But I am bitter.

Instead, marvel at this bit from WaPo's coverage:
    Trump summons Muslim nations to confront ‘Islamic terror of all kinds’

(ugh, this headline)

The warm embrace of Trump that was on festive display on his first day in Riyadh continued during a trio of bilateral meetings the president held Sunday at the Ritz-Carlton hotel.

Egyptian President Abdel Fatah al-Sissi praised Trump and invited him to visit Egypt, which Trump said he intends to do. Through a translator, Sissi said, “You are a unique personality that is capable of doing the impossible.”

“I agree!” Trump replied, as his advisers and others looking on laughed.

Trump went on to compliment Sissi on his fashion, telling the Egyptian leader, “Love your shoes. Boy, those shoes. Man . . .”

Ha ha ha i love those shoes you use to grind journalists in the face ha ha ha where did you get them do they come in a child's 9

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Everywhere I am seeing the signs of media tipping the brims of their hats to the surprising non-fuckup of a speech that was the President's performance. But I am bitter.

(ugh, this headline)

The warm embrace of Trump that was on festive display on his first day in Riyadh continued during a trio of bilateral meetings the president held Sunday at the Ritz-Carlton hotel.

Egyptian President Abdel Fatah al-Sissi praised Trump and invited him to visit Egypt, which Trump said he intends to do. Through a translator, Sissi said, “You are a unique personality that is capable of doing the impossible.”

Trump went on to compliment Sissi on his fashion, telling the Egyptian leader, “Love your shoes. Boy, those shoes. Man . . .”

Ha ha ha i love those shoes you use to grind journalists in the face ha ha ha where did you get them do they come in a child's 9

This reads like a passive jab that Trump isn't self aware to grasp. :)

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

(ugh, this headline)

It almost certainly is

And the idiot just blabs about his shoes

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

(ugh, this headline)

'Congratulations on the enormity of your success.'

• Options

The press would love a war with Iran for reasons that remain mystifying.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

The press would love a war.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Bibi also wants that war so...

This discussion has been closed.