As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Someone really needs to start a new thread

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'm getting the wow itch again. Anyone still active in the PA guild? As of a couple months ago, it seemed pretty dead.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Javen wrote: »
    I just how they just got done assuring players that they were focusing on transparency and communication, followed closely by a large, undocumented change that impacts nearly every single player. Seems like a pretty solid step back for them in this regard

Pretty sure they specifically mentioned that gear wouldn't factor into to creature scaling when people asked the question when they announced it for Legion as well, since they felt that it'd feel shitty to get more gear but not feel anymore powerful.

Yeah, they've been consistently saying for a while now that they would love more communication with the community on changes. A huge, entirely undocumented (not to mention poorly implemented) change that they've already publicly said would not happen is not the way to do that.

Personally I just take off my healing trinket and can suddenly one-shot mobs because they have like 900k less health and all I lose is a bit of mastery.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    I'm getting the wow itch again. Anyone still active in the PA guild? As of a couple months ago, it seemed pretty dead.

SE++ have a horde guild on Cho'gall, but we don't have one here.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I can see their point of view around wanting to get an idea of people's reactions when people didn't know to go looking for it.

I just don't think it's the right way to go about it.

I also agree with their reasoning here
    When someone trying to wind up a 2.5sec cast can't get a nuke off against a quest target before another player charges in and one-shots it, that feels broken.

It's definitely very hard to get in hits on mobs in crowded WQ areas these days, mobs explode.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I can see their point of view around wanting to get an idea of people's reactions when people didn't know to go looking for it.

I just don't think it's the right way to go about it.

The thing is though: from what I can tell, this change wasn't even in the PTR. It was literally snuck in at 0 hour. If you have a change you want to put in, you can gather that same feedback when the patch is still in testing. What's what a testing realm is for . For them to just not include it at all, roll it out with the live patch, then rebuke all criticism with 'well we're still testing it, it's not really working exactly as intended at the moment' is just stupid, because there was an environment specifically designed to test it that was open for months, that they opted not to use. It absolutely reeks of 'we know this will be unpopular, so we won't talk about it until it's too late.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If it was in the PTR, people would have known about it, defeating the purpose of trying to get that feedback without people knowing in advance.

I, for one, think they are right that there is a problem. My Havoc offspec literally twoshots any non-elite open world mob. I've had people running towards my quest mobs to tag them, and before I can actually stop myself to let them tag it, the mob is already dead because it only took two abilities and an autoattack to melt it.

EDIT: Also, for what it's worth, I noticed mobs taking longer to die, but I chalked it up to it being a new area. Tanaan mobs took more effort to kill than the rest of Draenor, this time two years ago. It certainly wasn't super noticeable. I refuse to believe that it's as big a deal as the internet is making it out to be.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    If it was in the PTR, people would have known about it, defeating the purpose of trying to get that feedback without people knowing in advance.

What would be the difference if they just put it into the PTR unannounced?

• Options
    edited March 2017

PTR testers are not a representative sample of the larger population.

The PTR is great for testing things like spell mechanics, seeing how rotations come together when you add new talents, buff/nerf abilities, or redesign classes, and for bugfixing.

But it's awful for figuring out how playerbases will respond emotionally to design choices, because the PTR playerbase is overwhelmingly represented by the hardcore player.

Dhalphir on
  • Options

That doesn't make any sense, though. The PTR was built for the purpose of collecting feedback. That, and stress testing, are why a test realm even exists. The argument 'we didn't include this in our environment designed to collect feedback, so we could collect feedback' is silly. That post explains why it was an undocumented change, shitty reasoning nothwithstanding; not that the change was held until patch day

• Options

PTR testers are not a representative sample of the larger population.

The PTR is great for testing things like spell mechanics, seeing how rotations come together when you add new talents, buff/nerf abilities, or redesign classes, and for bugfixing.

But it's awful for figuring out how playerbases will respond emotionally to design choices, because the PTR playerbase is overwhelmingly represented by the hardcore player.

This also makes no sense, as the higher ilevel players are still the only ones giving feedback on the change, since they're the ones who are most affected by it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I'm a higher ilvl player and didn't even notice there was anything beyond the usual slightly higher HP for mobs in new areas that you always get. I was certainly interested to learn the reason, but it still doesn't bother me. If I can manage to survive the horrific ordeal of having to kill mobs in five GCDs instead of two GCDs, so can everyone else.

The entire point of this change is to make life more difficult for the higher ilvl people in order to smooth out the experience for those who are lower ilvl. Of COURSE a big chunk of higher ilvl people will hate it, because fuck the other people playing this game, I want to twoshot my world quest mobs in peace arghlebargle.

You don't need to roll it out on the PTR to get that feedback.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    On a side note, I'm glad they at least remembered to set the town on the Shores as a sanctuary. Would be nice of the entire Shores was set as one too, but I think that one dev's head would explode.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    On a side note, I'm glad they at least remembered to set the town on the Shores as a sanctuary. Would be nice of the entire Shores was set as one too, but I think that one dev's head would explode.

I'd actually love if they just removed the logout timer. The open world isn't dangerous, and as long as people aren't logging out in combat, who cares?

In these days of SSDs, and automatic login from the Bnet launcher, it is actually quicker to close the game and reopen it if you want to switch characters outside a rested area.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I hope they see how we've organically responded to the change by expressing our dislike and reverting it. I mean l, they said they were interested in the feedback right?

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    From mmo champion
    So now we have to consult ilvl spreadsheets to figure out which pieces of gear we need to unequip to make our daily chores as painless as possible. Fun.

No, playing the game is fun. Taking the game to such a ridiculous degree is most certainly not fun and has never been promoted as such by Blizzard.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Personally I wouldn't mind if there was, like, a Dark World version of the world where everything is more difficult. The current world is completely challengeless, so the higher they crank the ilvl scaling the better.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Not everybody has a tank spec that can just round up mobs and kill them without issue as usual. So I can sympathise with people having issues, even though it doesn't affect me.

On other stuff, there's the artifact compendium issue again, if you have any investigation ongoing you have to wait for those to be done to get to the AK 25 -> AK 26 updates. Here's a Blizz post about it:
    Game Master Yaraheep here. Thanks for hanging on while I take another look at this for you.

I totally get where you’re coming from on this! AK has been hugely important throughout Legion and that is still true in 7.2. So yeah, not being able to get to 25 right away can definitely be a bit of a setback.

I actually had the same thing happen on my Rogue, and I did a ton of digging to figure out what was going on and why this was happening. It runs out this is actually working as intended. Basically, this works the same way that the Catchup mechanic and the Compendiums did when they were introduced. It boosts you straight to 25 when working in accordance with any Research Notes that are currently processing or in your inventory.

So, Roteye wasn’t Boosted straight to 25 because she was already at 23 and had 2 pending (which would bring her up to 25). Once those are done, she can use them to get to 25 and start working her way up to 50!

As I mentioned before, though, this is working as intended. So, I’m afraid that we will not be able to complete those Notes any faster or provide any additional AK levels for you. I can definitely understand that this is frustrating and setback, though, and I know how important it is to stay as current as possible! If you want to see this system changed, the best way to do that is through the “Submit Suggestion” option from the in-game help menu. This will send your suggestion straight to the developers so they can consider it and work on adding it to the game. I would also recommend taking to the forums. If you can get a good discussion going about a change you’d like to see then they will take notice and get it added.

I know that this was not the resolution that you were hoping for, especially if your friend was able to boost right away, but I’m glad that I was at least able to take a look and help clear this up for you!
    People are obviously crying BS, since at 23+ is pretty much waiting a week for being able to do the new content. GG Blizz.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    The whole world scaling with item level thing was actually active on the PTR. Just nobody bothered to notice it as they were focused on testing new content, so probably thought "Ah well it's brand new stuff, of course it's gonna be harder!"

I'm not hearing nice things from Fury Warriors as a major example. So dependent on gear to feel powerful, whether it's hyperbole or not some even claim they gotta sit down and rest between some fights.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    The whole world scaling with item level thing was actually active on the PTR. Just nobody bothered to notice it as they were focused on testing new content, so probably thought "Ah well it's brand new stuff, of course it's gonna be harder!"

I'm not hearing nice things from Fury Warriors as a major example. So dependent on gear to feel powerful, whether it's hyperbole or not some even claim they gotta sit down and rest between some fights.

I played my 901 Demon Hunter and 840 Rogue on the PTR and it definitely felt like there was no scaling; stuff on the Broken Shore was definitely more powerful than the rest of the zone, but I chalked that up to it being newer content, geared towards max level players, like Suramar stuff is slightly more powerful than stuff from the other 4 zones that scale to 110

• Options
    And if they're going to go the 'gear scales in open world' route, at least have the decency to go all the way and let me run around and do world quests in nothing but a summer festival crown and 17 pound bass.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I think I'm okay with it, as long as your rewards keep scaling with item level too.

Unfortunately, rewards aren't scaling appropriately.

TryCatcher wrote: »
    [*] The most obvious one, everybody having the new traits.

I'm confused. I logged in last night expecting to have refunded AP and new things to select. Neither of those happened. So I added one more trait (up to....44 I think?) after getting to AK26.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Honestly, I think I'm okay with it, as long as your rewards keep scaling with item level too.

I'm confused. I logged in last night expecting to have refunded AP and new things to select. Neither of those happened. So I added one more trait (up to....44 I think?) after getting to AK26.

Do some quests!

• Options

If you go back to Khadgar once you turn in the AK quest he gives you the follow-up that leads to more traits/refunded AP

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I want a PvP talent that says "when you dispel a HOT from a enemy player, the target receives a debuff that reduces healing from that ability by 100% for 8s."

Because screw monks and druids.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    So, there's a new vendor that sells Legion PvP appereance sets. And checked with a pug doing the OH campaign and Festerface is up.

So:
    Bi0FB0c.jpg?1
    HYPE.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    That sentence doesn't make much sense.

You buy the PvP tokens by dusting other PvP gear in the obliterum forge.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So is it the same stuff to buy the pvp appearance in legion as the rest

It's nice to see it's grayed out if you cannot afford it or have the currency it needs to buy it

• Options
    edited March 2017
    That sentence doesn't make much sense.

You buy the PvP tokens by dusting other PvP gear in the obliterum forge.

From WoWHead:
    Mark of Honor Updates
    Many PvP sets are now available as Ensembles which cost 12 Mark of Honor each. We've put together a guide to where each PvP transmog set can be purchased.

In addition, the Season 1 and Season 2 Legion sets will be available for Marks of Honor from Lieutenant Surtees and Apothecary Lee in Legion Dalaran.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

Do some quests!

I've been doing quests the entire expansion. It should have stopped at "Yay! You can do more AK research!" but, alas, that is never the case with Blizzard.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    My 2nd Ret legendary finally dropped from the Wardens emissary chest this morning (4th legendary on this char).

Justice Gaze.

It doesn't even rank on Icyveins as worth having along with a bunch of others. Fantastic.

I'll equip it because it's got great stats, but my loot specialization is now back to Holy so I can try to get something better than Hand of Tyr/Maraad.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »

Do some quests!

I've been doing quests the entire expansion. It should have stopped at "Yay! You can do more AK research!" but, alas, that is never the case with Blizzard.

World Quests: At Least They're Not Dailies... question mark?

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Blizzard already backing down on ilvl scaling:

TLDR they are nerfing the amount of scaling and also removing damage scaling entirely (so stuff is meatier but doesn't hit harder)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I can live with it being a little meatier to be perfectly honest, that goes with their intent of letting things live long enough that people can actually tag them. Just the additional damage suddenly made your extra stamina not so useful.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I can live with it being a little meatier to be perfectly honest, that goes with their intent of letting things live long enough that people can actually tag them. Just the additional damage suddenly made your extra stamina not so useful.

Yeah this is fine with me. Though regarding tagging, if they REALLY wanted to fix it they'd remove the tagging system entirely like they pretended they were doing but "Haha, not really, the other faction shares this quest so good luck with that!"

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Javen wrote: »
    I just how they just got done assuring players that they were focusing on transparency and communication, followed closely by a large, undocumented change that impacts nearly every single player. Seems like a pretty solid step back for them in this regard

Pretty sure they specifically mentioned that gear wouldn't factor into to creature scaling when people asked the question when they announced it for Legion as well, since they felt that it'd feel shitty to get more gear but not feel anymore powerful.
    hY8TjUG.png

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Doesn't help that Ion sounds incredibly condescending sometimes.

• Options
    However, it does turn out that the change WAS on the PTR
    It should also be noted that this change was on the Patch 7.2 PTR (and has been since January). We didn’t communicate anything about it initially because we wanted to get testers’ raw and honest feedback about it when they encountered it themselves, rather than attempting to pre-empt or otherwise influence their opinions ahead of time. When that feedback never came, we assumed that meant it was an acceptable change – i.e., those who hadn’t noticed it weren’t bothered by it, and those who had noticed it thought it was fine.

• Options
    As I'd mentioned, they didn't notice it cause they weren't testing for it. As Dhalphir has said most people on the PTR are on the hardcore side of things, so are already geared to the teeth and didn't bat an eye at any scaling.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    regardless of your thoughts about scaling (I don't particularly mind, myself) they need a more elegant method than the one they have currently (where I can just unequip my rings and drop every mob's health by 50%)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    As I'd mentioned, they didn't notice it cause they weren't testing for it. As Dhalphir has said most people on the PTR are on the hardcore side of things, so are already geared to the teeth and didn't bat an eye at any scaling.

Most of the people who run PTR are only doing it for the raiding content anyway and wouldn't have even interacted with non-elite mobs, by and large.

This discussion has been closed.