Options

You just saw [MOVIES]? So did we! Let us discourse on this.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    Treasure Planet was excellent, I'm constantly surprised that wasn't more popular. Maybe riffing on a classic made it sound cheap and people avoided it?
    I mean this can't be the reason right? There isn't that much difference between that and lifting every fairy tale ever told

The Great Mouse Detective did pretty good and that was just Sherlock Holmes

Most of the time they don't riff on the title, though. They either use it straight (Sleeping Beauty) or call it something unrelated (Frozen).

The Great Mouse Detective is in the second category. Imagine if it had been called Mouselock Holmes. That's stupid on several levels, but work with me here.

Treasure Planet doesn't do either of those things. It's just a scale change from the book's title.

Don't movies with clashing genres usually do poorly? I'm trying to think of examples

Cowboys & Aliens?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Scooby doo + the WWF is one of the greatest cinematic masterpieces of all time so I don't get the clashing genres thing.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I feel like genre clashes that really work just become new genres

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular

In the book, Jack blows up the hotel.

In the book, he goes to the boiler room to stop it from blowing up just long enough for his family to escape.

One of then main reasons the family is there over the winter is so that someone can monitor the boiler.

I think you're somewhat thinking of the miniseries. In the novel,
    Jack is ultimately consumed completely by the hotel. I believe there's a bit about him smashing his own face with the mallet, and that the thing that's left after isn't Jack at all anymore. He/It tries to vent the boiler but is unable to before it blows up.

In the miniseries
    Danny does break through to him and (after initially trying to release the pressure) he intentionally explodes the boiler once the others are out.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Also Brisco County Jr.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Remember! Dwayne was a terrible fucking actor ten years ago! Just the pits! He worked hard to get good!

Just watch Walking Tall
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Or The Mummy returns (probably the standalone scorpion king film as well, I didn't watch that one)

I saw both of these movies in the theater

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The Adventures of Sinbad!

Jeez, how many of these did I watch?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what you're even listing, but it seems like they are all sci fi. So uh... Earth 2?

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    i am rewatching the scenesters on amazon prime

it's a horror? movie that makes fun of hipsters, mumblecore, indie movies, and found footage, and feels like a precursor to things like making a murderer

it's not the best movie, but it is super interesting

i kind of think of it as a spritual successor to series 7: the contenders

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    HOT TAKE INCOMING

I haven't been impressed with Momoa in anything I've seen him in

He was good as Drogo, but he was just growling lines in a made up language and looking badass.

His work as Drogo convinced me that he'd make a pretty great pro wrestler, assuming he can hack it in the ring.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Stargate Universe was a great premise that they ruined by having pretty much all the character be terrible and also those goddamn stones that let them talk to Earth whenever they wanted so there was no sense of isolation at all.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    exist wrote: »
    king can eat it about his stupid book! the shining movie rules

I mean, if you wanna stroke Kubrick's business, go for it.

But, as 'good' as it is, he didn't make a The Shining movie

• Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    HOT TAKE INCOMING

I haven't been impressed with Momoa in anything I've seen him in

He was good as Drogo, but he was just growling lines in a made up language and looking badass.

His work as Drogo convinced me that he'd make a pretty great pro wrestler, assuming he can hack it in the ring.

He can tag with Roman Reigns. They're basically the same guy. Or they could Fake Diesel/Fake Undertaker it.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »

It's odd to me that King wouldn't like The Shining movie, enough so to try to remake it. Normally he's very okay with adaptations that are different because the book is still there, unchanged. Yes The Shining movie is different but it's also good.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Yeah

But I'm also not convinced that Kubrick's The Shining is that good. And this is from before I started reading King' s books.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »

It's odd to me that King wouldn't like The Shining movie, enough so to try to remake it. Normally he's very okay with adaptations that are different because the book is still there, unchanged. Yes The Shining movie is different but it's also good.

the shining is a super personal book for king, so a movie "getting it wrong" was not something he was able to accept

he was just too close to the material

also the shining is a fucking amazing film and only an okay book

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    at the very least we can all agree that The Shining movie gave us that great Treehouse of Horror runner where Willie kept getting killed immediately out of the blue for no reason.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    at the very least we can all agree that The Shining movie gave us that great Treehouse of Horror runner where Willie kept getting killed immediately out of the blue for no reason.

Ach, I'm bad at this.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Do ye want to get seueeed?

• Options
    HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Don't be reading my mind between 4 and 5

• Options
    Hybrid wrote: »
    Don't be reading my mind between 4 and 5

That's Willy's time!

• Options
    Gah these cure for wellness trailers, why do we get this nonsense instead of a Bioshock movie?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Speaking of Stargate: Atlantis, did anyone watch Stargate: Universe?

Cause I was a big fan.
    I watched it from the beginning, but I became a fan after it got cancelled. Like, the first season and a half were just good enough to keep watching, but I had issues with most of the characters. Also they killed the one character I liked. And then it was cancelled after 1.5, despite having already filmed the back half of the second season, which is when everyone pretty much got their shit together.

The episodes that showed the AU version of themselves founding a colony were superb, though.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Gah these cure for wellness trailers, why do we get this nonsense instead of a Bioshock movie?

Because a Bioshock movie will probably be bad and nobody gonna throw money at that

• Options
    3fwk7Dy.jpg

Through the first two months of 2017, the worldwide charts are buoyed by a couple of films that technically came out last summer but are on this chart because of 2017 release dates in the US.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I swear to god that movie Life only exists as a trailer

I'm fairly certain I've been seeing it before movies for at least 6 months

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The first Life trailer is dated 20161027, so a little over 4 months. And when I went to look it up, I just found out that this week in the Trail Mix they're debuting a red band Life trailer #3. Dunno if it's on Youtube yet.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    SabreMau wrote: »
    3fwk7Dy.jpg

Through the first two months of 2017, the worldwide charts are buoyed by a couple of films that technically came out last summer but are on this chart because of 2017 release dates in the US.

What the hell is xXx3 and how is it the worldwide #2?

E: How is the resident evil movie a top #5 box office?

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    3fwk7Dy.jpg

It was the return of Xander Cage, featuring Jungle Skiing and Motorbike Surfing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LIv5jtwLqg

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Treasure Planet was excellent, I'm constantly surprised that wasn't more popular. Maybe riffing on a classic made it sound cheap and people avoided it?

I get treasure planet and Titan AE constantly mixed up, they're the same movie in my mind

one of them definitely definitely features an alien snapping another alien's neck and I remember as a kid being like "WHOA GUYS WHOA HEY"

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    3fwk7Dy.jpg

Pyo6jK1.jpg

China gave $153M to xXx3, $171M to Great Wall, and $94M to Resident Evil 5. Your Name is mostly Japan with some China and Korea, and Fifty Shades Darker was an ensemble effort through countries everywhere, led by Germany and UK.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I still remember where I was when I heard Xander Cage had returned

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That Life movie would be a lot better if it was based on the board game and it was just CG pegs getting into various shenanigans.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

I get treasure planet and Titan AE constantly mixed up, they're the same movie in my mind

one of them definitely definitely features an alien snapping another alien's neck and I remember as a kid being like "WHOA GUYS WHOA HEY"

That's Titan A.E.
    The human captain snaps his ex-first mate's neck

it's both brutal and done casually.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    I mean this can't be the reason right? There isn't that much difference between that and lifting every fairy tale ever told

The Great Mouse Detective did pretty good and that was just Sherlock Holmes

Most of the time they don't riff on the title, though. They either use it straight (Sleeping Beauty) or call it something unrelated (Frozen).

The Great Mouse Detective is in the second category. Imagine if it had been called Mouselock Holmes. That's stupid on several levels, but work with me here.

Treasure Planet doesn't do either of those things. It's just a scale change from the book's title.

Don't movies with clashing genres usually do poorly? I'm trying to think of examples

Shaun of the Dead, otherwise known as the greatest romantic comedy zombie apocalypse movie ever made.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I still remember where I was when I heard Xander Cage had returned

And where there was only one trail of dirtbike tracks,

that was where I did a sick-ass jump

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    That Life movie would be a lot better if it was based on the board game and it was just CG pegs getting into various shenanigans.

It's weird that they haven't released the re-branded version of the board game yet!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Life had a effective trailer, especially the bit where the (is this even a spoiler?)
    black guy dies first.
    However the Life trailer I saw in front of Logan showed the alien and explained what it is. It was not a good trailer and it removing the mystery of the creature has made me less interested in the film.

• Options
    Some new trailer content for the week.
    yfLB89J.jpg

"New" being relative as they like to Youtube-release these things well before they hit theaters, but I can't find that redband Life trailer #3. Videos that claim they're trailer #3 are actually trailer #2, because they counted #1 as #1 and #1R (#1 with updated release date) as #2.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    3fwk7Dy.jpg

Pyo6jK1.jpg

China gave $153M to xXx3, $171M to Great Wall, and $94M to Resident Evil 5. Your Name is mostly Japan with some China and Korea, and Fifty Shades Darker was an ensemble effort through countries everywhere, led by Germany and UK.

Speaking of, I can't wait for Your Name to come out in the US.

I ate an engineer
This discussion has been closed.