As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    When we were early in our relationship, Jen and her best friend came over to hang after we had been out together. I suggested a board game and threw open my cupboard and started talking through the various games, but her eyes fell on Monopoly and suggested we play that. I tried to steer her away and suggest something else, but the idea of non-classic board games was still kinda beyond her at the time and I guess she wanted to be on familiar ground.

30 minutes later she was crying in the bathroom and nearly broke up with me over it.

It was literally years - years - before I convinced her to play a board game with me again. And years more before we got to a point where it could be a regular thing. But even now, she still won't ever play me at anything too competitive or confrontational.

Monopoly: not even once.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    FLGS actually got a copy of Gloomhaven in tonight.

That... is a big, heavy box.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    When we were early in our relationship, Jen and her best friend came over to hang after we had been out together. I suggested a board game and threw open my cupboard and started talking through the various games, but her eyes fell on Monopoly and suggested we play that. I tried to steer her away and suggest something else, but the idea of non-classic board games was still kinda beyond her at the time and I guess she wanted to be on familiar ground.

30 minutes later she was crying in the bathroom and nearly broke up with me over it.

It was literally years - years - before I convinced her to play a board game with me again. And years more before we got to a point where it could be a regular thing. But even now, she still won't ever play me at anything too competitive or confrontational.

I'm... confused over what happened during those 30 minutes.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

They didn't FINISH the game of Monopoly in that time, surely...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Insisting that houses are hard capped and that property auctions are happening

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Here is a quote from a girl I am chatting with on a dating site:
    "I want to try Patchwork, Jaipur or 7 Wonders Duel. Those games good for two. Any suggestion for two players game?"

I should marry right away, y/y?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    So I've been playing Seafall with some friends and it is pretty fun. It looks like a 4x game with boats, but it really isnt. It's more of an interactive narrative that you can sort of win.

Still it is on my mind, and we have only aged 3 games.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    "I want to try Patchwork, Jaipur or 7 Wonders Duel. Those games good for two. Any suggestion for two players game?"

Potentially yes, but more data required. What are her thoughts on Monopoly and Catan?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Sorry, off topic, but I just got an idea:

Instead of "Roll two dice, add them, and move that many steps", you have "Roll two dice, and that becomes your range of movement - 3 and 4 means you only move 3 or 4 spots; a double means you only have one choice, and one and six gives you the full range". Have any games done this yet?

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular

Well, you know how Monopoly has a reputation of being a fun family game but is actually a game about cutthroat bastardism and screwing over every other player? Apparently she only found that out right then as it happened to her at the hands of her boyfriend and the cognitive dissonance caused a strong emotional reaction.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Sorry, off topic, but I just got an idea:

Instead of "Roll two dice, add them, and move that many steps", you have "Roll two dice, and that becomes your range of movement - 3 and 4 means you only move 3 or 4 spots; a double means you only have one choice, and one and six gives you the full range". Have any games done this yet?

You are describing a dice pool.
    I'm not sure if it's been applied to Monopoly style roll & move, but yeah it's a thing.
    The variations can become quite interesting.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Suggest and play The Duke and/or Lost Cities (the card game, not the board game). If she sees them for the quality games that they are, hide a ring in her bag of Duke tiles.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Second Lost Cities for 2p and add Love Letter. Oh, and agree with her on Jaipur. Put those three together and you have a great night of 2p.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Second Lost Cities for 2p and add Love Letter. Oh, and agree with her on Jaipur. Put those three together and you have a great night of 2p.

:winky:

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Anachrony showed up yesterday. Jesus on a pony that is a beautiful game.

And I got it all back in the box. Take that @Vyolence!

/smug

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Woo Millenium Blades expansion arrived! Went for the 5 mini expansions too, so now I could build a small skyscraper with all the cards.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Woo Millenium Blades expansion arrived! Went for the 5 mini expansions too, so now I could build a small skyscraper with all the cards.

I gotta say I'm kind of miffed at the box for this. Super fancy, foil inlay and a sleeve all for something we're throwing away since the expansion easily fits in the main box. Go cheap and make more profit you goofs!

Also I only got three mini expansions. Should I have gotten more?

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

I gotta say I'm kind of miffed at the box for this. Super fancy, foil inlay and a sleeve all for something we're throwing away since the expansion easily fits in the main box. Go cheap and make more profit you goofs!

Yeah I was kinda surprised by the fanciness too. I think the normal set rotation ($50) came with 2 or 3, but they introduced another tier ($66) that had the mini expansions from the original kickstarter.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options

Yeah I was kinda surprised by the fanciness too. I think the normal set rotation ($50) came with 2 or 3, but they introduced another tier ($66) that had the mini expansions from the original kickstarter.

I have the original KS stuff but don't think I got mini expansions with that. I have two other things marked 1 and 2 but they aren't called mini-expansions.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    So I've been playing Seafall with some friends and it is pretty fun. It looks like a 4x game with boats, but it really isnt. It's more of an interactive narrative that you can sort of win.

Still it is on my mind, and we have only aged 3 games.

The first games are great. I wish it stayed that way.

• Options

I have the original KS stuff but don't think I got mini expansions with that. I have two other things marked 1 and 2 but they aren't called mini-expansions.

Ah, maybe they were just other promos then? These are the ones I got alongside the main set rotation box.

lucsjwv.jpg

• Options

Ah, maybe they were just other promos then? These are the ones I got alongside the main set rotation box.

lucsjwv.jpg

Huh, yeah I'm missing two of those. What are the numbers on the sides of those?

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    If the game looks bad and you can get out from under why hesitate?

because I don't know for sure it'll be bad and if it's good I would pay a hell of a lot more to get it later plus I don't get all my money back, just about 70%.

Your silly. It's like you expect to actually be able to play the boardgame you spent tons of money on.
    Fufu....Fufu...
    crazy talk man...

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

because I don't know for sure it'll be bad and if it's good I would pay a hell of a lot more to get it later plus I don't get all my money back, just about 70%.

Your silly. It's like you expect to actually be able to play the boardgame you spent tons of money on.
    Fufu....Fufu...
    crazy talk man...

My living room is Gloomhaven at present, which seems to have been a necessary sacrifice to accomplish that conveniently in that case.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Fufu....Fufu...
    crazy talk man...

huh? of course I can play it! I tape the minis to the cats paws and throw dice at them.

• Options

lucsjwv.jpg

Crossovers is 1
    Sponsers is 2
    Fusion Chaos is 3
    Final Bosses in 4
    Futures is 5

On the box everything came in they were listed on the outside too.

jrSwnWs.jpg

• Options

lucsjwv.jpg

Crossovers is 1
    Sponsers is 2
    Fusion Chaos is 3
    Final Bosses in 4
    Futures is 5

jrSwnWs.jpg

well crap

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Anachrony showed up yesterday. Jesus on a pony that is a beautiful game.

And I got it all back in the box. Take that @Vyolence!

/smug

I got it all back in the box too. I just couldn't get the sleeve off again without strenuous effort by more than one person.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    My Anachrony is still in the celophane. I'll probably break down and open it this weekend.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Finally got our second session of Gloomhaven in last night!

Our first session was a few weeks ago, and we cleared Scenario #1, though it wasn't too pretty. We were Spellweaver, Tinkerer, Mindthief and Cragheart (no Level X cards all around), and I'd picked the last one in an attempt to be tanky (I thought, big guy, big hand, lots of discard possibilities. Take some tanky items and go!) Unfortunately I didn't really read the cards in-depth and was disappointed to see that most of my stuff was ranged. Ordinarily that seems like a cool character to play, but I wanted to be front line and more durable. Afterwards, I swapped out for a Brute, transferred over my meager XP and gold earnings (I know, not supposed to do this, but it was just one session), changed items to Boots of Striding and the no-crit Helmet (yes, yes, not supposed to do this blah blah) and swapped in an X card or two.

Gloomhaven spoilers for Scenario #2:
    So for Scenario #2, we were Spellweaver (a different player), Tinkerer, Mindthief and Brute. Our City event panned out and our Road event added a card to our City deck, and then we were into the dungeon. By the by, I love how versatile Gloomhaven's tiles are; this scenario has a simple yet neat map. The archers in the first room cowered behind their traps, but that's a bad plan when the PC party has a Tinkerer with a hook gun and I believe the Mindthief has a move-an-enemy ability too. We made short work of them, and then I opened the door mid-move. This door was a lot less painful than the previous doors, as the Archers had drawn a Don't-Move-Just-Shoot card, with minus range, so I was able to move into the room a little more and hold position. On my next turn, I used a Jump 3 plus my Boots to leap across the room between the two Archers, hitting one of them with my Disarm card and gathering their attention so the party could move inside safely.

The Bandit Commander got up to his schtick right away, opening doors A and B and then summoning a Skeleton. The Skeleton's first card was "Move, and attack one target 3 times", so that got gnarly for me pretty quickly as I was right in that area harassing the Archers. But our Tinkerer moved in and dropped a massive heal on me, and I turned on my Retaliate2+Shield2 card, which gave the Mindthief time and space to come in and Poison the Commander with her item and go invisible. Our Spellweaver activated his Frost Armor and soaked a few big hits and threw out some excellent line and AoE shots, and our Tinkerer went ham with AoE on the groups of Fat Zombies whenever they managed to shamble close enough.

We had one "uh-oh" moment when a Fat Zombie managed to stumble up to the Spellweaver and attack. Fortunately it was one of the Normal ones from the first room, but it pulled the 2x card... when the Spellweaver had zero cards in hand. We thought he was dead at first but Thom (playing the Spellweaver) recalled the "one from hand OR two from discard" rule, so the damage was negated but at a heavy cost. Even with the Tinkerer's "recover 2 discards" card, the Spellweaver only had a couple turns left at that point, with a rest between them. Fortunately he used them both for the 3-target fireball card and laid out a lot of damage.

Poison did an extra 10 damage or so to the Commander, but he still managed to open all 4 doors. Even worse, he opened the 4th door after the Fat Zombies from the first door were killed, so the standees were available to spawn. So much health to chew through, and the Commander wound up summoning a 3rd Skeleton before he died, too, but we made it. We made it with the Spellweaver exhausted, the Mindthief on her last possible turn, and my Brute with maybe one more turn in the hopper. Our Tinkerer had a few more turns left, though, so he could have finished off the Zombies with some good kiting. He had one particularly great moment where he dropped a 6 damage trap in a doorway for a 5 health Zombie to stumble into. Poor Zombie.

Overall, this felt like a much better Scenario than #1. There were tons of enemies, but relatively few of them were threats at any given time. The Zombies and Skeletons being slow overall made it easier to go ahead of them and either eliminate wounded ones or ensure live ones would be less of a threat. Careful positioning in the main room denied several of the side room spawns any target to Focus on, so half of the Zombies didn't even come into play until we were ready to fight them. We even managed to loot the chest! Our Mindthief walked away from that scenario with a cool +30 gold.

Almost all of us hit our battle goals as well. The Tinkerer needed to force an enemy into triggering a trap, which was a cakewalk for him. Our Mindthief needed to kill 2 or less enemies, which we were quite surprised to discover she'd accomplished; she'd done a ton of damage but spread it all out quite nicely. I needed to loot zero treasure tokens or tiles, which was painful, but it gave me two checkmarks which got me my first perk, which I really wanted. And our Spellweaver... well, Thom took the battle goal to have 5 cards or more left in hand at the end of the scenario, which was so clearly a newbie mistake that we gave him a single check mark anyway. Hard to imagine a worse battle goal for the Spellweaver, at least among those I've seen so far.

I'm going to take the "Add a +Muddle-> card and a +Disarm-> card to your battle deck" Perk, I think. It's that, or replace a -1 with a +1, but I think having the surprise status effects will help out more. I'm less concerned with landing damage than I am with controlling incoming damage, but my deck only has a repeatable single target Disarm and a one-time Stun.

We're headed to the Crypt location next; our Tinkerer's life goal has something to do with Crypts. Mine is to kill Bandits or Cultists, so I think it's a good destination for me too. Minus the Spellweaver, we're probably all going to hit level 2 after the next scenario; I'll need 15 XP but I'm sure the Tinkerer and Mindthief need less.

Mindthief level 1/x card question;
    If the Mindthief forces an enemy to Attack 2 an adjacent enemy, does the drawn combat card come from the Mindthief's deck or the Monster deck? Does that attack benefit from the Mindthief's current Augment? I'm about to consult the FAQ.

Rius on
  • Options
    Rius wrote: »

Mindthief level 1/x card question;
    If the Mindthief forces an enemy to Attack 2 an adjacent enemy, does the drawn combat card come from the Mindthief's deck or the Monster deck? Does that attack benefit from the Mindthief's current Augment? I'm about to consult the FAQ.

Monster deck. No Mindtheif bonuses apply but any extra effects the monster normally has (multi targets, poison etc) do.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

lucsjwv.jpg

Crossovers is 1
    Sponsers is 2
    Fusion Chaos is 3
    Final Bosses in 4
    Futures is 5

jrSwnWs.jpg

well crap

It might depend on which kickstarter you got it through. I know I got 1 & 2 back when the original base game came out (and had done the Power Gamer level so I'd get the expansion eventually), and then did the reprint kickstarter for just 3-5. It's been so long I can't remember if they were something you had to get as add-ons or not.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »

lucsjwv.jpg

Crossovers is 1
    Sponsers is 2
    Fusion Chaos is 3
    Final Bosses in 4
    Futures is 5

jrSwnWs.jpg

well crap

It might depend on which kickstarter you got it through. I know I got 1 & 2 back when the original base game came out (and had done the Power Gamer level so I'd get the expansion eventually), and then did the reprint kickstarter for just 3-5. It's been so long I can't remember if they were something you had to get as add-ons or not.

Yeah that's what mine is but my 1 and 2 are called something different. I suppose they could have just changed the titles.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

lucsjwv.jpg

Crossovers is 1
    Sponsers is 2
    Fusion Chaos is 3
    Final Bosses in 4
    Futures is 5

jrSwnWs.jpg

well crap

I've been looking through my emails and Kickstarter account and trying to understand how I managed to miss the first two mini-expansions. I thought I was vigilant for both the original game and the follow-up Kickstarter, but apparently I missed something. So now I don't have the full set. Might as well throw all this in the GARBAGE.

• Options

lucsjwv.jpg

Crossovers is 1
    Sponsers is 2
    Fusion Chaos is 3
    Final Bosses in 4
    Futures is 5

jrSwnWs.jpg

well crap

Yeah that's what mine is but my 1 and 2 are called something different. I suppose they could have just changed the titles.
    Oh, really? What are yours called?

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »

lucsjwv.jpg

Crossovers is 1
    Sponsers is 2
    Fusion Chaos is 3
    Final Bosses in 4
    Futures is 5

jrSwnWs.jpg

well crap

Oh, really? What are yours called?

I'm not sure as they're at home. They were called something other than mini-expansions which all of the ones in that pic are called.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yesterday I got to see the top of the Gloomhaven box...

FLGS got in 3 copies. One they are auctioning off for charity, the other two they are selling at some point.

Apparently after they put up the charity one, someone on eBay asked if they could outright buy it for way less than the auction had already gotten up to.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Maybe I should

maybe I should finally take the shrink-wrap off of the Millenium Blades box and see what's inside?

Maybe it's the game.

Maybe it's the game + those mini-expansions.

Maybe it's the map to the mummy's gold.

Maybe it's a family of rats.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Maybe I should

maybe I should finally take the shrink-wrap off of the Millenium Blades box and see what's inside?

Maybe it's the game.

Maybe it's the game + those mini-expansions.

Maybe it's the map to the mummy's gold.

Maybe it's a family of rats.

maybe it's......
    [/cute-kittens-69-57b32c431e8a7__605.jpgTychoGabeSquee.jpg

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Played Gloomhaven again, this time breaking fewer rules.
    Post-first-and-second-scenario scenario spoilers:
    We opted to go put the fear of god into the Inox tribespersons. It was slightly more difficult using the proper combat modifier decks but not significantly. We still won without anyone becoming exhausted. Had I not screwed up and selected two ability cards on which I wanted to use the same slot (both top or both bottom) on 3 different occasions we would've won more quickly.

I think of everything in the game I most dislike how forceful the forcing function of the Lost Card mechanic is. That scenario requires you to kill 5 enemies per player, so 15 in our case. Not dying wasn't an issue and we killed mans at a pretty good pace (I think we took down 1-3 every round after the first) but we wound up never even opening any of the doors off the main room (the initial 9, I think, baddies plus 6 turns worth of spawned Inox Guards were enough to wrap the scenario) and we only picked up maybe 5 total of the dropped coins. If it weren't for the fact that we each had maybe a couple of more turns, max, before becoming exhausted simply due to lack of ability cards we'd have opened a door or two and/or gone around collecting loot before taking down the last guy. I like that there's a built-in battle-weariness mechanic to keep you from just dancing around the badguys while plinking them slowly to death but the scenario maps just seems really big compared to the functional time limit.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
This discussion has been closed.