As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    New house! So you know what that means...

Better board game storage!

IMG_1128.jpg?raw=1

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I just weighed my Cthulhu Wars stuff altogether.

30 pounds. Dang.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    How do Yomi and Battlecon compare? The former is getting a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f9x_jj6v60

It has an emphasis on good footsies and deliberate normal attacks, hence a lifebar replaced with numerical HP and many rounds.

There is currently a digital version of Yomi the card game if you want to check it out. Fantasy Strike looks really neat but it's a very different thing. Personally I enjoy Battlecon more, largely because I've never gotten competent at card counting. I think @mysticjuicer is really the one to ask though.

I've actually played very very little BattleCon, so I can't be much help in terms of comparing the two.

Yomi is, fundamentally, about making educated guesses about the contents of your opponent's hand, risk minimization, and reward maximization. I don't card count well, luckily the Steam version allows you to view your and your opponent's discard pile at any time. I find it endlessly engrossing, because at the end of the day, it comes down to modelling your opponent's decision making and countering it.

BattleCon definitely had a lot of those aspects. The card counting is more limited; you always have perfect information of your opponent's hand, and therefore their theoretical options. It has, in my opinion, a more complicated system for determining the resolution of attacks: a combination of range checking, initiative, and armor to allow slower characters to get damage in on "lost" combats. Yomi's rock-paper-scissors system (with ties broken by speed value) is, I think, easier to grasp but that might just be familiarity speaking.

I know my friend really likes the positioning/range aspect that BattleCon makes one of its primary 'attack resolution' systems. Yomi handles the concept of "range" and "getting in" against zoner-style characters much more abstractly: you control range in Yomi through dominant attack speeds, primarily, and some characters emulate "limbs" characters like Dhalsim through more abstract character specific and card specific abilities and rules.

At this point, frankly, I have something like 3 years of tournament play invested in Yomi, so there's no real itch left for BattleCon to scratch. If I knew someone enthusiastic about the game that I played with regularly, I wouldn't say no to giving it more of a shot, but I'm basically Yomi branded at this point. :rotate: #AskMeAboutLoom

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I dropped off my M:tG cards at the FLGS today. I gotta say I am not filled with confidence. Guy at the front of the store says, "Go to the register at the back, they do the Magic stuff". I go wandering, find 3 registers - one that's obviously the drinks & snacks counter (they have daily gaming events so make a healthy buck off selling concessions and even have draught beer) and one clearly labeled "Judges Corner" for the ongoing M:tG event which doesn't actually appear to have anything like a 'register' set-up. Then a third one, off to one side, with racks of card boxes labeled by expansions. Nobody's at it but I think, "Clearly this is the place."

Stood there are good 15 minutes before someon who worked there (despite being in clear view of fully 4 people) came up and asked if I needed something. I explained. Was directed - rather curtly - to the concessions stand person. So I go there. She looks up my cart and asks if I can leave my stuff overnight then explains she's new and doesn't know how to do most stuff (like, say, splitting value between store credit and cash). I reluctantly agree despite the lack of availability for a receipt. So we'll see if tomorrow I get some money or get fucked out of $700-1000 worth of cards.

Assuming all goes well I'll be walking out with copies of Netrunner: Terminal Directive, 51st State Master Set, and the Elder Sign expansion for which I've forgotten the name.

And if it goes well I plan to celebrate with a trip to Monday night gaming to try and play my copy of Delve.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Cantido wrote: »
    How do Yomi and Battlecon compare? The former is getting a video game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f9x_jj6v60

It has an emphasis on good footsies and deliberate normal attacks, hence a lifebar replaced with numerical HP and many rounds.

There is currently a digital version of Yomi the card game if you want to check it out. Fantasy Strike looks really neat but it's a very different thing. Personally I enjoy Battlecon more, largely because I've never gotten competent at card counting. I think @mysticjuicer is really the one to ask though.

I've actually played very very little BattleCon, so I can't be much help in terms of comparing the two.

Yomi is, fundamentally, about making educated guesses about the contents of your opponent's hand, risk minimization, and reward maximization. I don't card count well, luckily the Steam version allows you to view your and your opponent's discard pile at any time. I find it endlessly engrossing, because at the end of the day, it comes down to modelling your opponent's decision making and countering it.

BattleCon definitely had a lot of those aspects. The card counting is more limited; you always have perfect information of your opponent's hand, and therefore their theoretical options. It has, in my opinion, a more complicated system for determining the resolution of attacks: a combination of range checking, initiative, and armor to allow slower characters to get damage in on "lost" combats. Yomi's rock-paper-scissors system (with ties broken by speed value) is, I think, easier to grasp but that might just be familiarity speaking.

I know my friend really likes the positioning/range aspect that BattleCon makes one of its primary 'attack resolution' systems. Yomi handles the concept of "range" and "getting in" against zoner-style characters much more abstractly: you control range in Yomi through dominant attack speeds, primarily, and some characters emulate "limbs" characters like Dhalsim through more abstract character specific and card specific abilities and rules.

At this point, frankly, I have something like 3 years of tournament play invested in Yomi, so there's no real itch left for BattleCon to scratch. If I knew someone enthusiastic about the game that I played with regularly, I wouldn't say no to giving it more of a shot, but I'm basically Yomi branded at this point. :rotate: #AskMeAboutLoom

I'm playing it now on Steam. Its cool. Its damn cool. But the pricing on paper Yomi is absurd.

I told the Fighting Game thread is priced like Capcom DLC.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I dropped off my M:tG cards at the FLGS today. I gotta say I am not filled with confidence. Guy at the front of the store says, "Go to the register at the back, they do the Magic stuff". I go wandering, find 3 registers - one that's obviously the drinks & snacks counter (they have daily gaming events so make a healthy buck off selling concessions and even have draught beer) and one clearly labeled "Judges Corner" for the ongoing M:tG event which doesn't actually appear to have anything like a 'register' set-up. Then a third one, off to one side, with racks of card boxes labeled by expansions. Nobody's at it but I think, "Clearly this is the place."

Stood there are good 15 minutes before someon who worked there (despite being in clear view of fully 4 people) came up and asked if I needed something. I explained. Was directed - rather curtly - to the concessions stand person. So I go there. She looks up my cart and asks if I can leave my stuff overnight then explains she's new and doesn't know how to do most stuff (like, say, splitting value between store credit and cash). I reluctantly agree despite the lack of availability for a receipt. So we'll see if tomorrow I get some money or get fucked out of $700-1000 worth of cards.

Assuming all goes well I'll be walking out with copies of Netrunner: Terminal Directive, 51st State Master Set, and the Elder Sign expansion for which I've forgotten the name.

And if it goes well I plan to celebrate with a trip to Monday night gaming to try and play my copy of Delve.

Are you in/near Durham, NC? Because that sounds incredibly like Atomic Empire.

If so, you're in good hands.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Are you in/near Durham, NC? Because that sounds incredibly like Atomic Empire.

If so, you're in good hands.

It is, in fact, Atomic Empire. So I will rest somewhat more assured! Thanks!

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Infidel wrote: »
    New house! So you know what that means...

Better board game storage!

IMG_1128.jpg?raw=1

I like your (almost) entire column of space games

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    This War Of Mine showed up and it's breath taking, quite frankly.

Go read this review:
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1816826/war-mine-review-survivor-siege-sarajevo

• Options
    Truly this is a joyous day.

I have sold all of my Runebound, Descent and Talisman stuff. I am 1600$ richer and then instantly 1600$ poorer but I don't have the collection agency after me that by law should not have been after me in the first place.

in short, fuck the police.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The sad part is I read this and just went "yeah that sounds like a game store."

• Options
    Game stores are great if you want to go look at game materials and maybe buy them.

They're awful if you need to actually interact with the staff and haven't spent a few years showing up to events to get to know them.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Wow, guess I'm lucky because I've felt welcomed in my FLGSs from the moment I've walked in.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Game stores are great if you want to go look at game materials and maybe buy them.

They're awful if you need to actually interact with the staff and haven't spent a few years showing up to events to get to know them.

I was lucky, when I resumed going to do things at the newer one near here, that they'd inherited some staff from older ones I'd known when I was still an active miniatures guy and comic collector.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I am really lucky that I have the option between three good FLGS's in my area, and one of them (Out of the Box Games in Zeeland and Kentwood) is simply excellent. Knowledgable staff, a wide selection, a big open play area, and a membership plan that equates to about 30% off MSRP on game purchases (bringing them in line with online discounts). The only reservation I can state is that sometimes special orders are slow or unreliable, since they use one particular distributor and sometimes not all the distributors get a similar amount of stock.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So there's been an errata to Cthulhu in Cthulhu Wars: he can now emerge from his Submerge for free instead of spending 1 power, and Dreams costs 2 instead of 3.

I feel like this may be too strong, but we only played one game with the changes, and it was bizarre. We played on Yuggoth, and I had a ridiculous tile draw and betrayed my strong score because I have a terrible poker face--but all the other players had to cooperate to wipe me completely off the board and then ritual to end the game in a five-way loss because no one had gotten past 30. That was kind of done out of spite, which was hilarious, but still.

Also of note is that almost all the starting areas on Yuggoth are in the sea, so in many games Cthulhu will START with a spellbook, and his enemy sea gate power will net him 3ish every turn once Cthulhu is out. That's pretty big. All the seas are landlocked, though, which makes Submerge harder to use, and you'll often have to use that 3 power (or more) to move your dudes back into the ocean

Hard to judge. Will have to play some more.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Played Escape From 100 Million BC and Spyfall with my nieces and nephews today, which was a blast. Lots of terrible die rolling and dinosaur shenanigans in 100MBC, which ended with us surviving but having racked up quite a lot of paradox in the process. We arrived back to the present only to be set upon as witches by an angry Pitchfork wielding mob of peasants, having caused the dark ages to never end.

Then we discovered together that we're all terrible at lying in Spyfall.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Maybe you're all just really good at reading people

sig.gif
  • Options
    Spyfall is maybe my favorite game I don't own. I should get a copy one of these days. I abhor the 'social deduction' genre of Werewolf-likes, am completely burnt out on Cards Against Humanity, and while I like Codenames I do get tired of it after a while. Spyfall is just such a great party game. Enough rules to feel like I'm playing a game but without relying on a super-strict framework that tends to get annoying once everyone's been drinking.

• Options
    Punched, bagged and sleeved around 15 boardgames. Got another 15 or so to go. Every time I hit another overproduced FFG monster I die a little on the inside.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Aspects of Board Gaming from Most Fun to Least Fun:

1 - Learning new rules
    2 - Bagging/sleeving
    3 - Buying new games
    7 - Actually playing games
    52 - Convincing other people to play games with me

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Spyfall is maybe my favorite game I don't own. I should get a copy one of these days. I abhor the 'social deduction' genre of Werewolf-likes, am completely burnt out on Cards Against Humanity, and while I like Codenames I do get tired of it after a while. Spyfall is just such a great party game. Enough rules to feel like I'm playing a game but without relying on a super-strict framework that tends to get annoying once everyone's been drinking.

Check your local Target, I got it on clearance there a bit ago for $12

• Options

Check your local Target, I got it on clearance there a bit ago for $12

I'll have to do that. Last time I looked was shortly after it came out and everyone was out of stock so it was stupid expensive from resellers. Maybe the FLGS still holding my magic cards ransom has a copy (the update on that being I called them today and they said their general policy is to ask for one to two weeks to appraise cards (which seems like a lot for like 60 cards, but I guess they're busy - though when I handed them over the lady said tomorrow)) I can grab on store credit. Otherwise I will look at target before my next party.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Spyfall is by far my favorite hidden role game, because it's one of the only ones where you actually have some information to go on as to judging what people are. To me games like Resistance aren't much better than Mafia, just because it's still mostly guessing and dumb luck.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Aspects of Board Gaming from Most Fun to Least Fun

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    That is exactly what prevents me from picking up either fighting card game.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Whenever this gets posted, I get irrationally irritated, as the article talks about playing Settlers of Catan, while the attached picture is clearly Ticket to Ride.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Whenever this gets posted, I get irrationally irritated, as the article talks about playing Settlers of Catan, while the attached picture is clearly Ticket to Ride.

The article (currently?) says Pandemic, not Settlers. But the image is still TtR.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

NEEEEEEEEERD!!!!!

• Options

It frustrates me because I know there are people out there getting turned off of boardgames by bad teachers.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

It frustrates me because I know there are people out there getting turned off of boardgames by bad teachers.

Lots of people just shut down during rules explanations that take more than 30s too.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Lots of people just shut down during rules explanations that take more than 30s too.

My wife is sadly one of those. She enjoys complex games but has to learn them by playing, not teaching. She doesn't do well with reading a rulebook herself either.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I try and do a light recap of the rules then a "practice turn" before starting a more complex game.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

My wife is sadly one of those. She enjoys complex games but has to learn them by playing, not teaching. She doesn't do well with reading a rulebook herself either.

The first 30 seconds are your chase to sell the game!

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I have never had a successful instance of "teach the whole game as a lecture", neither with me teaching the game nor with the game being taught to me, barring smaller games like Dragon Punch or Noir. No matter how much I try to organize my thoughts, I always end up forgetting some details or corner cases when explaining rules; no matter how organized someone else's explanation, I always end up forgetting some details until I've played a bit. My feeling is that it's difficult to assimilate a lot of abstract concepts at once without attaching them to physical components/events and/or without developing a feeling for how the rules interact with each other (which you get after playing for a bit).

These days, I try to do a general summary (so people know the broad shape of the game and things like "how does the game end?" or "how do I win?"), then a more detailed run-through, and then just start playing with the understanding that we're going to screw up, forget rules, make tactical decisions based on flawed understandings, etc.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I have never had a successful instance of "teach the whole game as a lecture", neither with me teaching the game nor with the game being taught to me, barring smaller games like Dragon Punch or Noir. No matter how much I try to organize my thoughts, I always end up forgetting some details or corner cases when explaining rules; no matter how organized someone else's explanation, I always end up forgetting some details until I've played a bit. My feeling is that it's difficult to assimilate a lot of abstract concepts at once without attaching them to physical components/events and/or without developing a feeling for how the rules interact with each other (which you get after playing for a bit).

"successful" doesn;t mean everyone knows the rules perfectly when you;re done. It just means they;re willing to play and do and have fun.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »

"successful" doesn;t mean everyone knows the rules perfectly when you;re done. It just means they;re willing to play and do and have fun.
    That's true!

• Options
    Mahou So-soMahou So-so Registered User regular
    So, I just played a partial solo game of Spirit Island. That game is not easy. But omg it's so good. It reminds me a lot of Gloomhaven, actually, with the "shit, I played that card a turn too soon and now I have to 'rest' to get it back" sort of thing, and all the drastically different characters working together.

• Options
    So, I just played a partial solo game of Spirit Island. That game is not easy. But omg it's so good. It reminds me a lot of Gloomhaven, actually, with the "shit, I played that card a turn too soon and now I have to 'rest' to get it back" sort of thing, and all the drastically different characters working together.

My friends and I are 3-0 so far but we've been escalating very slowly so we're still very much in the shallow end of the pool.

• Options
    Mahou So-soMahou So-so Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

My friends and I are 3-0 so far but we've been escalating very slowly so we're still very much in the shallow end of the pool.

I imagine solo did not do my any favors. I was playing as the river spirit, which while awesome, is kind of slow to be able to damage the Invaders. It was cool being able to shift the Dahan around and add more to the board though.

This discussion has been closed.