As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I mean, I don't think it's heartless. I think you can sympathize and feel super-bad for the people whose company just vanished (and it seems pretty clear that they were doing it out of passion) WHILE ALSO wanting your $6000 or whatever to not just vanish off the face of the Earth.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I feel like the kind of person who wouldn't be able to deal with that cannibalism image shouldn't be playing Kingdom Death, no.

surely you can find more twisted, hollow shells of people to play with though.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I feel like the kind of person who wouldn't be able to deal with that cannibalism image shouldn't be playing Kingdom Death, no.

Or build twisted, hollow shells that look like people out of your mountains of cardboard and plastic.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Anyone mention yet that Terra Mystica just came out on mobile and Steam?

Although...reviews are not being kind. Everyone saying it's a bad mobile port (screens way too big) with an awful interface (have to click through multiple screens for the simplest of stuff).

Bright side: They're coming out with a digital version of Scythe!

MrBody on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

Nope. I've had it for like 2 years, if they were around I would have started by now.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Nope. I've had it for like 2 years, if they were around I would have started by now.

It can be soloed right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Is there, like, a copy of this particular picture online somewhere?

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yeah, google will serve that up, would rather not link it. It's unpleasant on a few levels.

I mean they do have fire, they could have at least cooked the poor guy first.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

Yeah, google will serve that up, would rather not link it. It's unpleasant on a few levels.

I mean they do have fire, they could have at least cooked the poor guy first.

Interestingly they do not start with fire. Heat is an innovation typically gained after like six lantern years or something!

The image in question is certainly unpleasant and I could see it upsetting someone who was sensitive toward that sort of thing, but iirc it's nothing worse than you'd see on, say, The Walking Dead or in a darker zombie themed video game.

Also you shouldn't have to look at it much because it's the strictly worse choice compared to its partner ;)

• Options

It can be soloed right?

nah i have video games for that

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah that cannibalism image makes me not want to play kingdom of death, not because it squicks me out but because I am getting dizzy from eyerolling so hard at the game trying to be Edgy McEdgelord.

• Options

Yeah, google will serve that up,

It's not serving it up; that's why I asked.

• Options

It was the first GIS hit for me.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Inquisitor wrote: »

It's not if you're looking for "kingdom death rulebook cannibalism" or "kingdom death cannibalism rulebook" - because, apparently, looking for the picture from the rulebook doesn't work.

Here's a link, BTW: https://techraptor.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Diary-of-Death-Cannibalism.jpg

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Look what showed up in the mail today!
    Kgv2I87.jpg
    PmUT1Kj.jpg

It's like a box of history! $15 well spent.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

It can be soloed right?

nah i have video games for that

KDM's solo experience is excellent and is in fact probably my favorite way to play it. Great with a group but also great as essentially a solo roguelike.

• Options
    It even has a brief piece from Heinlein on the back with his signature!

"An adult simulation game, for ages twelve years and up."

This makes me so happy.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Anyone mention yet that Terra Mystica just came out on mobile and Steam?

Although...reviews are not being kind. Everyone saying it's a bad mobile port (screens way too big) with an awful interface (have to click through multiple screens for the simplest of stuff).

Bright side: They're coming out with a digital version of Scythe!

Yeah, this was supposed to come out this month. I've been waiting to hear something...anything.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah that cannibalism image makes me not want to play kingdom of death, not because it squicks me out but because I am getting dizzy from eyerolling so hard at the game trying to be Edgy McEdgelord.

The game is full of great Lovecraftian mindfuckery and Dark Souls-esque monster encounters, but it also has a fair amount of very childish humor that shows up in unexpected places.

Whether or not you can reconcile the narrative dissonance that sometimes occurs is part of whether or not the game is for you. Personally, I find the bits of unexpected humor help alleviate what is usually a very stressful and oppressive setting.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I've been playing it on Android tablet. It's not perfect but if you're angsting for some online async TM it's a fine implementation on mobile. If they just ported that straight to desktop crudely though it would probably drive me nuts, there is in fact a lot of clicking even on the mobile version.

• Options
    Yup by all accounts it's a straight mobile to desktop port with no alterations to image sizes. Looks like a lot of wasted space.

I got a chuckle out of this review
    Everything is HUGE. It's like playing with binoculars strapped to your face. I can't do it. I just can't.
    I have to move my laptop 5 feet away just so I can make a menu choice, everything is so in my face. And then it zooms back out to the map, so I have to get close to the laptop again. This isn't such a big deal because I happen to keep my laptop on a conveyor belt, but I'm wearing out the backwards/forwards buttons FAST!

I'm just glad board game ports aren't exclusively iPad anymore. After cracking the screen on mine and learning that Apple charges a flat $300 repair fee, fuck if I'm ever going to buy one again.

• Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

It's not if you're looking for "kingdom death rulebook cannibalism" or "kingdom death cannibalism rulebook" - because, apparently, looking for the picture from the rulebook doesn't work.

Here's a link, BTW: https://techraptor.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Diary-of-Death-Cannibalism.jpg

This is laughably tame. You see way worse on prime time TV.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

wtf prime time TV are you watching

honestly this is a real fuckin weird thing to be arguing about since it sounds a lot like you're arguing with the reaction of the person who was uncomfortable with it and, no, do not do that

it doesn't bother me that much either, but that's not at all relevant to Magic Pink's friend

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    finally got an expected delivery date for CW, as it's been processed in BC. Should arrive at my work next Tuesday!

I didn't know the box would be the size and weight of a coffee table! I also didn't know that the post office drop-off for deliveries to my home when I'm not there is literally ten feet away! I made a bad decision!

It's fine though!

!

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    What's your go-to defusing explanation to get someone to try a board game, especially if they feel that it looks complicated due to the number of fiddly bits?

Honestly it depends on what the game is. But most games that look intimidating start out with a small number of choices and you'll get used to the big ones as it branches out. If setup isn't too intimidating you can offer to play through a couple of turns so they can see how it works before you reset the board and go again.

But yeah, depends on the game.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Then one of the players caught sight of the Cannibalism illustration and we won't be playing it again.

I don't... how bad can it possibly be? And do you, like, have to look at it a lot?

it's SUPER gross and this person has a low threshold as is. that combined with the following atrocities kind of sealed the deal.

i weep for my 1600$. But still well spent; it's just an amazing thing to own. i will pass it down to my chil...

my cats.

Well I'll still play it if we can find another player.

• Options

i'll be sure to make sure my friend knows you think they're ridiculous. i cannot imagine why you think your opinion of it is so important but i'll do you a solid

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    That is pretty gross. I mean, dude's eating the liver. Raw. That's just nasty. At least go for, like, a lung or something. And he's eyeballing the intestines. That's literally poop sausage.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »

Anyone have a table by a competitor? We just got our gaming room set up except for the fancy gaming table. The three we saw at PAX were Geek Chic (now clearly not an option), Carolina Game Tables, and Board Game Tables.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    What's your go-to defusing explanation to get someone to try a board game, especially if they feel that it looks complicated due to the number of fiddly bits?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    You have to sell it in the beginning.

Arboretum is a bloodthirsty deathmatch about planting trees.
    Bloodborne is about being a killstealing dick in an MMO
    Roll For the Galaxy is about building a galatic empire with the ancient art of rolling dozens of candy-colored dice.
    Kingdom Death is an analog version of Civ with grimdark and anime titties*

* I can't believe people play this

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Then one of the players caught sight of the Cannibalism illustration and we won't be playing it again.

I don't... how bad can it possibly be? And do you, like, have to look at it a lot?

it's SUPER gross and this person has a low threshold as is. that combined with the following atrocities kind of sealed the deal.

i weep for my 1600$. But still well spent; it's just an amazing thing to own. i will pass it down to my chil...

my cats.

That's the thing about KD, I'm actually kind of interested in playing it but the price tag is just way out of proportion.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I reinstalled Armello on the ps4 and now all I want is an actual physical version of it. It's a real fun adventure kinda game. Sadly there's no local play. It would make a dynamite physical boardgame I think.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Roll For the Galaxy is about building a galatic empire with the ancient art of rolling dozens of candy-colored dice.

Help me out with Reef Encounter.
    I need to sell it to three colorblind people...

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Lykouragh wrote: »

my cats.

That's the thing about KD, I'm actually kind of interested in playing it but the price tag is just way out of proportion.

Awwwww, it looks adorable.

1380044505716.jpg

MrBody on
  • Options
    That was actually the first result I was getting on a lot of my earlier Google searches, which is why I was pretty certain there was a different cannibalism pic everyone was talking about.

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    I've always loved one moment from SU&SD's How To Teach Games video where they do that sales pitch for Tokaido:
    "... and the winner is going to be the one who has the loveliest time..."

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

It's a terrible game they shouldn't play.

Oh, you meant lie to them. ...I got nothing.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

It's a terrible game they shouldn't play.

Oh, you meant lie to them. ...I got nothing.

Mmm.

Rich semi-abstract area-control mechanics tied to decent auction mechanics have some merit in my opinion.
    I can't think of many games which I would describe as offering more consistently interesting decisions, and I have played quite a lot of games.

It's been a tough sell to a lot of my people because the theme is not intrinsically interesting and the mechanics are a bit opaque at first glance.

Myself? I would describe it as easily one of the best abstract strategy games ever devised.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    The game was - Viticulture. My friend took one look at the player board, decided there's too much things, and closed the box. Which was weird, because she's managed Waterdeep and Arkham Horror perfectly fine.

Alt explanation: she could have decided in her head that she really wants a light game that time.

I didn't even get to use my opening spiel for Viticulture.

This discussion has been closed.