As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]ing from home

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    If I invite someone and choose the venue I always assume I am the paying party unless going dutch is brought up.

And I am totally cool with going dutch; I just don't assume it unless we talk about it first.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    see the trick is to offer to pay, insist on it, and then go to take out your waller and

oh

oh no

i left my wallet at home

and then she'll pay for you both and you'll look like a cool guy for offering 8-)
    Actual video of Elendil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f95abQuPXaw

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Milo being disinvited is a pretty amazing display of Republican doublethink at work.

Milo is a hatemonger who doxxes and harasses people and incites violence on purpose (both from his supporters and his opponents) to improve his own "brand", but the alt-right defend the guy as a "free speech crusader".

Even though his homosexuality makes them uncomfortable, and Republicans think he's a barely tolerable queer. He's an effective weapon against their enemies, even if he doesn't realize he'll be first on the train when he's no longer useful.

He's Saren, insisting if he only allies with and serves the Reapers, they'll find a place for him and won't destroy him.

But the pedophilia thing confirms what all those cats want to believe about homosexuals, and it's the bridge too far. He might be able to recover from this if he successfully sacrifices a prominent feminist on their altar or something to get in their good graces, but he might be done with enjoying support from a lot of the Right now.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Pay etiquette is weird

If its my idea I offer to pay at pay time, but dont argue about it

If it isnt my idea I just assume I am paying for myself

Also this is just in general, not necessarily for a dating situation, though I would treat them the same.

...god it's been so long since I went on a date ;-;

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    if someone agreed to go on a second date, i assume they're willing to cover their shit

it's worked well so far

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    one time I went on a date with this girl

she was nice, smart

kinda cool walking around the city date

dinner and beers at a brewpub

then coffee and deserts at a cafe

she didn't even try to pay for any of it

so no more dates for her

My stance is "if I ask you to do something" I'll be the one that offers to pay. I expect the lady to pay if she asks to do something.

I mean, I would prefer to go dutch on 100% of things, but I am not going to do the back and forth thing more than once about "oh no really, it's no big deal, I'll pay".

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I think it's just the patriarchy sinking in, but I was always very wary of "owing" a guy anything after a date

some guys think like that, and it's awful

at the very least, ask if you can pay for X for her, that takes some of the "now you owe me a favor" sting out it

the approach of "you can get the next one" works too because it signals more equality

Oh god. I would never think that.

I would just want to pay cause I don't want to appear as cheap as Ludious thinks I am. Seems more classy to me.

cptrugged on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    @Atomika why do you continue to hurt yourself by checking in on what's happening with Milo Y?

Is he really that consequential? Is your life better because you know a new thing about his career?

He's the top news story right now. It's not necessarily on purpose

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    zepherin wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    is the aquarium free?

we have a whole nother thing to discuss if it isn't!

It is not.

oh jeez yeah it's 40 bucks

well as a modern lady I would definitely pay for that myself so I assume this modern lady will do so as well without issue

Meh. 40 bucks is the price of a dinner date. I have no problem paying. It's still under my weekly date budget.

did you pay for the first date?

Yup

she may want to pay for this one, or at least pay her own admission

as long as you aren't pushy it should be fine

the one time it was bad for me was when a guy stealth paid for my food and it made me mad
    You were mad when someone stealth paid for food? Dang...that's my move. I'm glad I'm not in the dating scene anymore.

on the very first time we hung out that was very casual? yes.

Casual hangout is a bit different. But if I asked someone out on a date, and took them to dinner I would stealth pay, I found it reduced awkwardness.

and agency! but whatever, that's just my take

So It Goes on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Milo being disinvited is a pretty amazing display of Republican doublethink at work.

Milo is a hatemonger who doxxes and harasses people and incites violence on purpose (both from his supporters and his opponents) to improve his own "brand", but the alt-right defend the guy as a "free speech crusader".

Even though his homosexuality makes them uncomfortable, and Republicans think he's a barely tolerable queer. He's an effective weapon against their enemies, even if he doesn't realize he'll be first on the train when he's no longer useful.

He's Saren, insisting if he only allies with and serves the Reapers, they'll find a place for him and won't destroy him.

But the pedophilia thing confirms what all those cats want to believe about homosexuals, and it's the bridge too far. He might be able to recover from this if he successfully sacrifices a prominent feminist on their altar or something to get in their good graces, but he might be done with enjoying support from a lot of the Right now.

I think he does realize he'll be first on the train when he's no longer useful, but he's getting rich right now and that overrides everything else including any sense of empathy or morality

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    huh

my tax return is enough to pay my health insurance premiums for 14 months

this definitely means I'm going to be audited right
    Auditing the shit outta u

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I need @tyrannus to save me from new jersey taxes

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I think it's just the patriarchy sinking in, but I was always very wary of "owing" a guy anything after a date

at the very least, ask if you can pay for X for her, that takes some of the "now you owe me a favor" sting out it

the approach of "you can get the next one" works too because it signals more equality

yeah, I would immediately counter an offer to pay (from someone I invited out) with something along the lines of "well how about we figure out a place to grab dinner after this and you can get that so we're even?"

especially since the $40 entry is way more (probably) than I would ever spend at dinner (for just myself)

• Options

Oh god. I would never think that.

I would just want to pay cause I don't want to appear as cheap as Ludious thinks I am. Seems more classy to me.

Of course not, you are not that dude.

Before a girl gets to know you though, you totally could be that dude.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Rugged is so cheap his Tupperware is country croc tubs

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Like, never invite a person to a date or date-adjacent thing you could not afford to completely cover if you need to.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

I guess I never associated dating with debt and sex. Like everytime I was dating someone and we had sex it was literally like hey you want to come over to my house?

I guess I never closed the deal over surf and turf? Always seamed a bit scummy to me. "You ate that blooming onion and had a fillet you owe me a life debt"

zepherin on
  • Options
    I think going to wine vineyards is a good second date idea y/n

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    @Atomika why do you continue to hurt yourself by checking in on what's happening with Milo Y?

Is he really that consequential? Is your life better because you know a new thing about his career?

He's getting harder to avoid

He is super anti trans and has doxxed and called for violence of trans women

It is maybe more mentally sound to try to avoid him, but its also...kinda useful knowledge to see what these ttpes are up to

• Options
    man I'd love to date a girl that even offered to pay for dinner once in a while

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

He's the top news story right now. It's not necessarily on purpose

And yet I have not heard about it... whose news consumption pattern is more successful? An hour of NPR and my google cards did not inflict this nonsense on me!

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The thing I worry about is eating alone at a restaurant and they say "just sit anywhere someone will be with you" and you try not to be the jerk that takes up a whole booth so you pick one of the small tables in the corner for people like you.

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I think going to wine vineyards is a good second date idea y/n

so long as you are an hour or less from home base and dont have to worry about drunk driving yes its an awesome date

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    "classy" is a term that means nothing

no one is all "woah, they're so classy" after a date

if they're the type of person to take umbrage with you not paying for everything, fuck 'em

• Options

I guess I never associated dating with debt and sex. Like everytime I was dating someone and we had sex it was literally like hey you want to come over to my house?

I guess I never closed the deal over surf and turf? Always seamed a biter scummy to me. "You ate that blooming onion and had a fillet you owe me a life debt"

It's a thing with toxic masculinity and redpillers, unfortunately.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Wine is bad go to a root beer yard

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

If looks could kill
    You'd be lying on the floor
    You'd be begging me please please
    Baby don't hurt me no more
    :whistle:

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    @spool32

it was just one of the things that popped on my news feed

but I understand your point about me unduly putting myself through news-based stress

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

I think he does realize he'll be first on the train when he's no longer useful, but he's getting rich right now and that overrides everything else including any sense of empathy or morality

there's a lot of money to be made being the minority, or social minority in the case of women, who shares bigoted and ignorant views

see also: anne coulter, allen west, etc

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

I guess I never closed the deal over surf and turf? Always seamed a biter scummy to me. "You ate that blooming onion and had a fillet you owe me a life debt"

yes, women experience this type of stuff (I could say rape culture but it's more like patriarchy and historical social norms rooted in patriarchy) differently than men.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    Tav wrote: »

if they're the type of person to take umbrage with you not paying for everything, fuck 'em

b-b-but the Obamas

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

maybe not after your dates

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Wine is bad go to a root beer yard

There's always sprechers brewery which has root beer and regular beer

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

god dammit lud
    as a child my entire fridge was these (well the older style ones)
    facebookDefault.png

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    man I'd love to date a girl that even offered to pay for dinner once in a while

this is normal these days

at least in my recent dating experiences

hence me being put off by a lady expecting me to front 100% on a first date

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

yes, women experience this type of stuff (I could say rape culture but it's more like patriarchy and historical social norms rooted in patriarchy) differently than men.

The whole "if I put nice feelings and praise in, I'll be good boyfriend material" sort of mentality plays into it with regards to "nice guys" too.

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »

god dammit lud
    as a child my entire fridge was these (well the older style ones)
    facebookDefault.png

me too.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    why would you stealth pay when you can make a spectacle of your suitability as a breadwinner

It is customary to flex, roar, and then pay your debts by calling in favors from rival horse lords you have subjugated

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    why would you stealth pay when you can make a spectacle of your suitability as a breadwinner

Every time I plan on splitting the bill but then I look into their deep blue eyes the color of Languedoc skies

And tell them to order off the dollar menu because daddy eddy is gonna treat them so fine

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

It is customary to flex, roar, and then pay your debts by calling in favors from rival horse lords you have subjugated

Demonstrate Value?

This discussion has been closed.