Options

In Which We Call Webcomics [Webcrumblics] Again

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Manga artist also excel at gore, or so it seems. Some of the horror manga I've read has been really detailed. Curiously so.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    We don't deserve BvB

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Don't look up nim-values up you will fall down that very deep hole of game theory and Wikipedia is that trap

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Magus` wrote: »
    Manga artist also excel at gore, or so it seems. Some of the horror manga I've read has been really detailed. Curiously so.

I think as manga genres started to form the adult market became more detailed for a host of reasons. Japanese Horror in particular is about thr grotesque and bizzare do the detail helps sell the scares

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Could've just drawn a big vague shape and labeled it "motorcycle" like in a political cartoon

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Could've just drawn a big vague shape and labeled it "motorcycle" like in a political cartoon

Yeah, if you're too busy to reference, just don't reference (name dropping real things counts). Like, make the bike powered by a custom-built liquid scintillium generator or something.
    Nobody questions whether dilithium or khyber crystal do what the writers say they do, because they're made up. As in fictional. Imagine, having fictional things in a fictional story!

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    A lot of manga have multiple people drawing it and/or bring people on to help with specific jobs like backgrounds, anatomical stuff, or mechanical shit. The publisher helps find these people or hires them for you.

Professional american comics really only divide it between drawing, inking, and coloring. If you asked marvel for a guy to draw a motorcycle for you, they would probably laugh at you.

Also there are plenty of western artists that are incredible at mechanical stuff. Just have a look through artstation

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    A large proportion of backgrounds in manga are built in modelling software. Even if someone's doing a full spread view of a city, there's a good chance the barebones were modelled first and then embellished by the artists afterwards. I remember a fair few mangaka chatting about it sometime around 2002/3. Ultimately, it's just a massive time saver, since most manga appear in the same rooms or spaces and you can alter camera angle very easily.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    TBH it's mostly not the drawing itself that I care about with the last couple SFPs

It's that the drawing disagrees with the technobabble at a couple points and then the technobabble (which I know Molly doesn't write so she's good in my book) disagrees with itself every five words

• Options
    Please do not disparage the technical authenticity of my flux-capacitor proton reversal device

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I love how with about 95% or these multi page SFP grumbles I avoid the thread for like a month

But this time I'm the one in the thick of it

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I tend to only care about this stuff in comics where this stuff is at the core of it

mechanical stuff isn't the big deal about SFP so it doesn't bother me so much

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    There are lots of people that draw incredibly detailed stuff in the US, but not for free

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Please do not disparage the technical authenticity of my flux-capacitor proton reversal device

Right, see, that's my point; you can say whatever you want your made-up thing does and no-one can argue with you but when you start introducing real, actual, things people can look up and/or buy you're going to get eyebrows if you're wrong.

I'm not even mad at the technical issues as much as the total lack of imagination, even within their own world. It needs a gun, an M16 is a gun, so it's got that. No, wait, two of them! No-one who spends their day inventing flying robot personal assistants and fighting crime from inside an armoured suit (which flies) would use something else, right?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I love how with about 95% or these multi page SFP grumbles I avoid the thread for like a month

But this time I'm the one in the thick of it

This isn't directed at you personally Mortal, but I've never understood why "people are having a lively discussion about a topic that doesn't particularly interest me" causes people in this thread so much palpable distress and the need to take a break from the thread, to the point that there are way too often "warning" posts about how being enthusiastic about something will bring the end of everything. Can't people just... not read the posts that don't interest them and just look for comics to be posted that do? Or if they're genuinely concerned instead concern trolling, why not just report the posts that worry them? There are lots of times I was concerned about the potential direction of a thread, I reported the concern, and nothing happened - no mod posted anything in the thread even to warn anyone, the argument I was worried would break out never did, no one was infracted and, here's the important bit, I didn't start a worse argument myself by self-importantly "warning" people to "be careful" like a patronizing school marm.

Like I can't muster much of an opinion about whether the SFP artist can draw or write about motorcycles, because I don't care about motorcycles. But I am not going to start wailing in a corner and beating my breast if there are 10, 20, or even 100 pages about motorcycles in the Webcomics thread and I really, really don't understand the people who do.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    at various points in the past people have gotten into arguments about time travel, sexuality, sinfest, shitposting, and it occasionally crosses the line into getting personal

and then tube or duck or bogey will have to lock the thread for a bit

I think people are afraid of pushing too close to that

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    the bad machinery time travel story did nothing wrong

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    The perpetual pillorying of Sinfest did nothing wrong

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    also sometimes if we went a whole page with just discussion, and without posting a webcomic, everyone who posted on that page would get infracted

ixeBWAx.png
    http://www.plancomic.com/comic/meta/

anyway here's a GIS result for
    "webcomic discussion meta"

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    at various points in the past people have gotten into arguments about time travel, sexuality, sinfest, shitposting, and it occasionally crosses the line into getting personal

and then tube or duck or bogey will have to lock the thread for a bit

I think people are afraid of pushing too close to that

I get that, but the lesson there should have been "don't shitpost" and (something in the actual rules of this forum) "don't be a dick." And "warning" people about liking something too much is being a dick to that person.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    In actual webcomics related news, there have been several new pages to Harpy Gee since I last posted about it, but I'm kind of bored with the current story (or rather, I'm waiting for it to go somewhere) so I haven't posted them. Here's the link to the website though:

http://www.harpygee.com

Cambiata on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    didn't one thread degenerate into a perpetual drama machine where people protested discussion by posting webcomics self-evidently too uncool to be tolerated, and then other people would actually enjoy them unironically and want to keep posting them, thus powering yet another tide of discussion et cetera

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    didn't one thread degenerate into a perpetual drama machine where people protested discussion by posting webcomics self-evidently too uncool to be tolerated, and then other people would actually enjoy them unironically and want to keep posting them, thus powering yet another tide of discussion et cetera

I believe that was the thread that cost us a proper webcomics thread for a while, around 2014 or so.

People were being giant assholes and refusing to shut the fuck up every time something they didn't like got posted, and I just straight-up didn't want to be here for that, so I wasn't shocked when it got taken from us.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    before this threads end

i am going to post a whole uncropped webcomic with no link to the source :twisted:

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Edit: Whoops, misclick.

But I think the change to single panel/twitter posts has been a good move. Much easier to scroll past webcrumbles you aren't interested in.

Karoz on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    XmqZTlX.png

Shattered Starlight continues to world-build

i wonder whether it or Sleepless Domain will get to the main plot first

e: anyone more Canada than me know what the oil drum in the corner is? why is it connected to a line of christmas lights?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    XmqZTlX.png

i wonder whether it or Sleepless Domain will actually get to the main plot first

I really like the art and concept on this comic but it's one of those where I want to wait like, every 50 pages to just read in a row.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Label wrote: »
    interesting contrast there with the characters drawn somewhat stylized, and the bikes looking like very little stylization going on.

I think it's because a bike has enough lines going on that even when it's cartoony in its shading, it's gonna look distinct

__hell_biker_shin_megami_tensei_drawn_by_kazuma_kaneko__sample-5b44d790406945b233e2077490cd0361.jpg

MegaTen's demon Hell Biker is a great example of this

wait fuck I have been playing megaten games for ages by now and only just noticed that hell biker has turn signals and a brake light

who tickets the hell biker?

Highway (to hell) police?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    XmqZTlX.png

i wonder whether it or Sleepless Domain will get to the main plot first

e: anyone more Canada than me know what the oil drum in the corner is? why is it connected to a line of christmas lights?

Looks like a water heater.

• Options
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

That makes me think of Warframe

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

That makes me think of Warframe

Idunno, the heads aren't weird enough.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
This discussion has been closed.