Options

LGBT protections and rights

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    That doesn't mean they wouldn't have tried. "Correction" surgery and other shenanigans are quite common even when there is nothing to be corrected :/

Which is what then leads into the "Assigned X at Birth" terminology being used in some circles. But I have to agree with Shadowfire on the...editing history has gone through.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

How sure are we that these anonymous complainers are actually parents?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    halkun wrote: »
    Story time!
    I have a friend who has CAIS or Complete androgen insensitivity syndrome. The gist of the condition is as follows...

Testosterone looks like this:
    p3e420yddqcw.png

Estrogen (more specifically estradiol) looks like this:
    t0eba3jp09lx.png

As you can tell, they are incredibly similar to each other. This makes sense as they are produced by, for all intents and purposes, the same organ (the gonads). What does make them different is the little fiddly bit on one end. When that end plugs into cells, depending on the shape, it will make the cell do different things.

When my friend was just one single cell, the genetic dice was rolled and she got an XY pair of sex chromosomes... but had no receptors that could react to the testosterone. Lucky for her, when the time came, her developing testicles could also produce estradiol which the growing cells happily took. 9 months later, out popped a healthy baby girl. During puberty she grew breasts and hips... No body hair though, which was strange, but petty cool. No armpit or leg shaving for her.

When she was 19 the fact she hadn't had her period yet began to bother her. That's when she went to the doctor and found out she was intersex.
    The testes were up where the ovaries would of been. An adult version of a Mesonephric duct connected her gonads to where a cervix would of been. They removed the testicles as they were a cancer risk and put her on something akin to birth control pills. (or they were birth control pills. I didn't really find it appropriate to rifle though her medication)

Parents didn't take it well at all. There was a lot of guilt of the "not catching it early so they could of had a 'normal' kid". Never mind that she was a perfectly normal girl. (I met my friend about the time she had had enough of of her parent's grief and ditched them to live somewhere else.)

I was going to use this story as a preface about the nuances of hormones as it came to trans people and realized.. I really don't have enough information to speak about it (Being a cis guy). But I always like to have a chance to bring up my friend and her unique generic makeup.

Maybe this can be for people who don't know about ACIS, but just to let you know, there are girls out there who are XY and they are about a biological as they come, and very often, don't even know until later on in life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if anyone tries to feed you that "XX = Girl and XY = boy because that's the way nature works", you can know that scientifically, they are full of shit.

This is one of like a half dozen human quirks I can name off the top of my head as counselor who specializes in (and is) trans/non-binary. The fact that my extremely limited medical knowledge is enough to be able to rattle these off is really telling to me at least. Sex is an extremely complex subject that people desperately want to simplify by ignoring some relatively simple biological facts.

It's a trip

You can also end up with XX men who can father XX daughters or XX sons, or (I'm pretty sure, though there are a lot of other conditions fucking up my search) the reverse. There are a bunch of things that can go wrong (for non morally valenced values of "wrong") resulting in arbitrary combinations of genitals, chromosomes, hormones, and secondary characteristics.

Also re: halkun's friend's parents, I'm mind boggled that they wish they'd caught it earlier so they could've had a "normal" kid, because in addition to her being just fine, there's no treatment that's going to actually change anything. People, man.

I interpreted the "catching early and having a normal kid" as discovering the circumstances in utero, then having an abortion and trying again. Ed: Which, to be clear, is terrible.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Evolution of X & Y being the sex determining chromosomes in placental mammals is perhaps surprisingly recent in the grand scheme of things.
    The Platypus has XXXXX and YYYYY which pair up and form a giant O.

The 'X' and 'Y' in birds is opposite, but that's just convergent evolution, their larger Z chromosome has taken the same path our X did and encode genes that try to knock out other sex chromosomes, but having two ZZs makes you male whist ZW is female. The reason we have these two different chromosomes is that the Y chromosome has evolved to be as small as possible to avoid attacks from the X.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    MsAnthropy wrote: »
    So awhile ago the NCAA announced it would defer to national level organizations to design their policies with respect to trans people’s participation in sports.

So how’s that going?

Well USA Swimming instituted policies custom tailored to rule Lia Thomas ineligible for the NCAA championships and the rest of her career… and effectively made it impossible for anyone transitioning after 15 to participate. All without any actual data on, you know, trans people:

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/usa-swimming-announces-new-policy-elite-transgender-athletes-rcna14606

USA Powerlifting just banned all trans people, as well as anyone taking birth control or hormones for any medical reason:

https://barbend.com/uspa-bans-trans-athletes-and-anyone-using-hormones-from-tested-divisions/

With this who even needs all the state legislation in flight to ban trans kids from sports?

The powerlifting one is impressive in how many people it excludes. The birth control alone will cut out so many women, and the hormone part hits anyone taking hormones for things like diabetes or any other medical issue. By trying to be transphobic not only did they succeed but they managed to gut a large portion of their cis athletes as well.

Edit: the extra shitty sprinkle, as the trans athlete notes in the article, is that prior to this the powerlifting association actually had a pretty reasonable set of rules that stated that as long as you weren’t taking the listed banned hormones (a group only taken for performance enhancing reasons) you were fine to compete. So this is an intense reversal.

never die on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    On Intersex information, I came across this youtuber a couple years ago and she has half a dozen informative videos

https://youtu.be/5vDVUPjBJiM

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    They're so close to catching on that success in sports is largely based on how well you do on a genetic lottery.

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    jothki wrote: »
    They're so close to catching on that success in sports is largely based on how well you do on a genetic lottery.

Yeah when the most successful athletes are already abnormal biologically it makes defining edge cases particularly fraught.

Gilgaron on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

It... says it... in the letter

An anonymous group of parents of children in Hanover schools has hired a Concord-based attorney representing to “demand” that the School Board repeal or change its policy relating to transgender or gender nonconforming students.

Unless you're alleging this law firm is lying about it.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

An anonymous group of parents of children in Hanover schools has hired a Concord-based attorney representing to “demand” that the School Board repeal or change its policy relating to transgender or gender nonconforming students.

Anti trans groups lie constantly so...yes, they probably are.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

Distinction without a meaningful difference.

Plenty of parents can be just as shitty as your anti-trans groups because they're probably members, or sympathetic to groups aims.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Plenty of parents can be just as shitty as your anti-trans groups because they're probably members, or sympathetic to groups aims.

*shrug* I assume anything out of these organizations is a lie until proven otherwise. They're usually operating at Project Verititas level of relationship with the truth.

• Options

*shrug* I assume anything out of these organizations is a lie until proven otherwise. They're usually operating at Project Verititas level of relationship with the truth.

You know, going by how a lot of these parents act at their kids sports events, you might be right

I don't think they'd have the decorum to get a lawyer to write this, they'd just go into a school board meeting and vomit this shit in public with a bunch of stupid signs about how they're just like the Jews in WWII

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Also, part of the argument that the anti-trans assholes have been making, is that your little Suzie might have to compete with a "man". Or that their your Billy might have to play sports with a "girl", or compete against a "woman" taking testosterone.

If parents weren't a large part of the anti-trans movement at the start, they have absolutely been targeted to become an integral part of it, just because there's more emotional power given to aggreived parents.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Some of them may very well be parents. If they are, they're probably not residents of the school district and homeschool anyway.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    moniker wrote: »
    Some of them may very well be parents. If they are, they're probably not residents of the school district and homeschool anyway.

Why?

Why is it so hard to believe that there's enough shitty parents at this individual school district?

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Why?

Why is it so hard to believe that there's enough shitty parents at this individual school district?

Because it has happened before in order to venue shop a school policy that doesn't actually upset anyone involved or get before a particular judge.

• Options

Why?

Because it has happened before in order to venue shop a school policy that doesn't actually upset anyone involved or get before a particular judge.

See also: many of the "CRT" and book "protests".

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Story time!
    I have a friend who has CAIS or Complete androgen insensitivity syndrome. The gist of the condition is as follows...

p3e420yddqcw.png

t0eba3jp09lx.png

As you can tell, they are incredibly similar to each other. This makes sense as they are produced by, for all intents and purposes, the same organ (the gonads). What does make them different is the little fiddly bit on one end. When that end plugs into cells, depending on the shape, it will make the cell do different things.

When my friend was just one single cell, the genetic dice was rolled and she got an XY pair of sex chromosomes... but had no receptors that could react to the testosterone. Lucky for her, when the time came, her developing testicles could also produce estradiol which the growing cells happily took. 9 months later, out popped a healthy baby girl. During puberty she grew breasts and hips... No body hair though, which was strange, but petty cool. No armpit or leg shaving for her.

When she was 19 the fact she hadn't had her period yet began to bother her. That's when she went to the doctor and found out she was intersex.
    The testes were up where the ovaries would of been. An adult version of a Mesonephric duct connected her gonads to where a cervix would of been. They removed the testicles as they were a cancer risk and put her on something akin to birth control pills. (or they were birth control pills. I didn't really find it appropriate to rifle though her medication)

Parents didn't take it well at all. There was a lot of guilt of the "not catching it early so they could of had a 'normal' kid". Never mind that she was a perfectly normal girl. (I met my friend about the time she had had enough of of her parent's grief and ditched them to live somewhere else.)

I was going to use this story as a preface about the nuances of hormones as it came to trans people and realized.. I really don't have enough information to speak about it (Being a cis guy). But I always like to have a chance to bring up my friend and her unique generic makeup.

Maybe this can be for people who don't know about ACIS, but just to let you know, there are girls out there who are XY and they are about a biological as they come, and very often, don't even know until later on in life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if anyone tries to feed you that "XX = Girl and XY = boy because that's the way nature works", you can know that scientifically, they are full of shit.

This is one of like a half dozen human quirks I can name off the top of my head as counselor who specializes in (and is) trans/non-binary. The fact that my extremely limited medical knowledge is enough to be able to rattle these off is really telling to me at least. Sex is an extremely complex subject that people desperately want to simplify by ignoring some relatively simple biological facts.

I learned about this.. yesterday. From this post. I've generally been pretty accepting of intersex, non-binary, and other things. But I can't pretend to understand them. What I know is what I remember from high school biology, and that's shit.

People who willfully disregard gender preference are assholes. But there are an awful lot of folks like me who just have no idea because we've never learned any of it and are just coming to terms with "hey, not only was the history you were taught is wrong, so is the biology!"

You know this is a very good point, and thank you for raising it. It is really easy for me to forget how the wider world works. I will say I don't judge people for ignorance. You can't know what you don't know! And we intentionally try to teach the wrong stuff for bullshit reasons. It is a really cool bit of human reality that helps make the world make a lot more sense once we know it. Also pretty wild in new and interesting ways. 5-alpha reductase deficiency is a great example of this. Short version, it can lead a person to be AFAB and then grow a penis at around age 12. It gives you a lot of perspective for how awkward puberty really can be.
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Story time!

p3e420yddqcw.png

t0eba3jp09lx.png

It's a trip

You can also end up with XX men who can father XX daughters or XX sons, or (I'm pretty sure, though there are a lot of other conditions fucking up my search) the reverse. There are a bunch of things that can go wrong (for non morally valenced values of "wrong") resulting in arbitrary combinations of genitals, chromosomes, hormones, and secondary characteristics.

Also re: halkun's friend's parents, I'm mind boggled that they wish they'd caught it earlier so they could've had a "normal" kid, because in addition to her being just fine, there's no treatment that's going to actually change anything. People, man.

I can't think of why it couldn't happen in reverse, but it might also be really hard to find an example is that makes sense. Like, who is going out there and getting their chromosomes randomly checked for this stuff? Making it more rare being that infertility is common as a result of the conditions.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    jothki wrote: »

The other issue at work is that basically all sports divisions are built around assumptions about gender that don't end up being universal once we really started looking into it.

And all these issues only get way worse at the very pinnacle of competition.

shryke on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Also, part of the argument that the anti-trans assholes have been making, is that your little Suzie might have to compete with a "man". Or that their your Billy might have to play sports with a "girl", or compete against a "woman" taking testosterone.

If parents weren't a large part of the anti-trans movement at the start, they have absolutely been targeted to become an integral part of it, just because there's more emotional power given to aggreived parents.

Interesting what is and isn't considered an "unfair" advantage, isn't it?

Suzie lost a race against a girl of roughly the same build who happens to have a Y chromosome? Why, Suzie, you poor precious thing! This is the greatest injustice in human history! We can never allow this atrocity to happen to another child again!

Suzie lost a race against a cis girl who's a full foot taller because her parents are tall and she hit her growth spurt over the summer, oh and unlike Suzie's parents hers can actually afford to feed her properly? Hey, that's sports kiddo, life isn't fair, get used to it.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Butler wrote: »

Suzie lost a race against a girl of roughly the same build who happens to have a Y chromosome? Why, Suzie, you poor precious thing! This is the greatest injustice in human history! We can never allow this atrocity to happen to another child again!

Suzie lost a race against a cis girl who's a full foot taller because her parents are tall and she hit her growth spurt over the summer, oh and unlike Suzie's parents hers can actually afford to feed her properly? Hey, that's sports kiddo, life isn't fair, get used to it.

Well with all these anti-trans bills, the second case will be Suzi’s parents accusing the other girl of being trans and forcing her to ‘prove’ she’s cis through a forced genital exam at her family’s expense.

MsAnthropy on
    Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I mean, yeah. The divisions and rules have actually always been arbitrary. We just at one time thought they weren't because we didn't understand the science well enough.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I mean, yeah. The divisions and rules have actually always been arbitrary. We just at one time thought they weren't because we didn't understand the science well enough.

Wrestling seems like they figured out a decent-ish system for that. The problem is mostly that it doesn't scale down too well when you only have a handful of competitors within a reasonable distance.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

Why?

Enough shitty parents who value their anonymity? That only speak anti-trans messages behind closed doors in hushed tones in case anybody can identify them and out them as bigots? That seems unlikely to me. More likely they're anonymous parents because someone is trying to misrepresent their claims as legitimate

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »

Why?

Enough shitty parents who value their anonymity? That only speak anti-trans messages behind closed doors in hushed tones in case anybody can identify them and out them as bigots? That seems unlikely to me. More likely they're anonymous parents because someone is trying to misrepresent their claims as legitimate

Given the right wings propensity to talk about how """cancel culture""" and """political correctness""" on the """left wing""" will """destroy""" them if they dare speak the """truth"""?

Yes. Especially if they're well-to-do upper middle class conservatives. It seems incredibly likely.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I don't think we need to argue over who these bigoted assholes are and if they really are bigoted asshole parents or just bigoted assholes pretending to be bigoted asshole parents because I think at the end of the day we can all agree, Fuck Them.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I don't think we need to argue over who these bigoted assholes are and if they really are bigoted asshole parents or just bigoted assholes pretending to be bigoted asshole parents because I think at the end of the day we can all agree, Fuck Them.

I probably have opinions orthogonal to the majority of those in this thread on the issue, but since absolutely 0% of the people pushing these policies are doing so in good faith, I will continue to say, “yep, fuck ‘em,”

Atomika on
  • Options
    TLDR fuck the Alabama Senate
    https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/2022/02/09/alabama-senate-committee-approves-bill-criminalizing-treatments-transgender-youth/6693134001/
    The bill, sponsored by Sen. Shay Shelnutt, R-Trussville, would make it a Class C felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, for any person to prescribe medications like puberty blockers and hormones to those under the age of 19 and prevent surgery that alters a child's sex. The bill would also require school counselors to not "withhold" information from parents about a transgender child.

Banning standard medical practice and requiring children to be outed to possibly abusive parents! Combo asshole!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/2022/02/09/alabama-senate-committee-approves-bill-criminalizing-treatments-transgender-youth/6693134001/
    The bill, sponsored by Sen. Shay Shelnutt, R-Trussville, would make it a Class C felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison, for any person to prescribe medications like puberty blockers and hormones to those under the age of 19 and prevent surgery that alters a child's sex. The bill would also require school counselors to not "withhold" information from parents about a transgender child.

Banning standard medical practice and requiring children to be outed to possibly abusive parents! Combo asshole!

Sounds like Alabama. Outing children seeking advice from a councilor is pretty fucked up :<

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Sounds like Alabama. Outing children seeking advice from a councilor is pretty fucked up :<

All that does is mean these children get even more isolated (as they've got noone to talk to, for fear of being outed), meaning mental health pressures, and almost certainly an increase in suicides or other harmful behaviours.

"Won't somebody think of the children! No, not them, they don't count."

Assholes. Times like this I hope there is an afterlife, and their chosen deity is one of good works (rather than faith only). "So, you persecuted children, did you?".

• Options
    edited February 2022

Not just children. It says under the age of 19 Meaning it includes 18 year old adults.

moniker on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

All that does is mean these children get even more isolated (as they've got noone to talk to, for fear of being outed), meaning mental health pressures, and almost certainly an increase in suicides or other harmful behaviours.

"Won't somebody think of the children! No, not them, they don't count."

Assholes. Times like this I hope there is an afterlife, and their chosen deity is one of good works (rather than faith only). "So, you persecuted children, did you?".

The gospels are quite clear on the question.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Republican goose realizes that she said the quiet part out loud:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

What a monster of a person.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    "The transgenders" huh?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

The last tweet in that thread:

Luther initially garnered national attention in May 2020 when she defied emergency orders to shut down her Dallas salon and was sentenced to a week in jail.

That made her a hero to far right Republicans and those fighting pandemic lockdowns.

Just another grifter grifting. Found something that got her all of the attention and quickly clued into how much money should could rake in from the conservative rubes.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Also note how her immediate follow up is that it's the transgender kids fault when other kids get in trouble. "...like other kids got in trouble for having transgendered kids in my class." Note how passive it is. Doesn't specify what they did to get in trouble. Just that the mere presence of a transgender kid gets the other kids in trouble. The implicit point being that it's natural for other people to make fun of and torment transgender people because their very existence should be seen as a joke. And that it's wrong of schools to try to put a stop to that behavior.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    "Children should be allowed to bully transgender kids" sure the fuck is a take. I hope that there's at least some consequence for this naked display of hate, but I'm guessing the only thing that'll happen is that more people will flock to her support.

I'm so weary.

• Options
    "Children should be allowed to bully transgender kids" sure the fuck is a take. I hope that there's at least some consequence for this naked display of hate, but I'm guessing the only thing that'll happen is that more people will flock to her support.

I'm so weary.

There's a scene in the Peacemaker show, where one of the characters (portrayed as a complete tool), says almost essentially the same thing about bullying (it's not trans specific thankfully), and it's written and delivered as cringe.

Can't even make comic book characters cartoonishly villainous enough that it's not taken straight by these fuckos.