Options

LGBT protections and rights

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Another court has told Texas to fuck off for now
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2022/03/11/texas-judge-halts-all-child-abuse-investigations-into-gender-affirming-care-for-transgender-youth/
    The Third Court of Appeals in Austin reinstated an injunction against the state’s child abuse investigations late Monday. A district court judge first issued the injunction on March 11, but the state said it could continue its probes nonetheless because it immediately appealed.

The appeals court sided with the plaintiffs, including a state employee with a transgender daughter, in exercising its discretion to put the investigations back on hold. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, however, will likely continue to fight the injunction.

Meanwhile, transphobes are already trying to move the goalposts up even more:
    The fact that specialty clinics care for patients into their twenties confirms what most understand: Turning 18 does not mean one attains adult competency — particularly for life-altering medical decisions like gender transition.
    Every week, I hear from the parents of such young people who report their child has announced a change in gender identity and intends to go on hormones or already has done so. In too many of these cases, there has been no dialogue between parent and child

Aside from not treating adults like, oh, adults, notice again the focus on the parents. Not the patient. In what other field of medicine is this ever done? The person writing this is trans, and of the "I had to go through the bullshit, so you do too" variety.

The jackass writing this used to work for the professional association writing the standards for care of trans people, and is endorsed by the person who heads the current children's section. Who is herself a bit of a crank. Note this interaction, spoilered because it involves quoting a bigot:
    Horrible bigot:
    Take a step back. Gender identity/expression is a cult ideology into which children are now indoctrinated in the education system. We need to clear this out of our schools. No one is trans. Ppl are NOT born in the wrong body. No one needs puberty blockers & medical transition.

I agree with some of this. It’s a bit more complex, imo.

Meanwhile trans advocates get blocked or called liars for accurarely describing what a collegue endorsed:
    The WPATH chair responded here and blocked me. She has some culpability for what is going on in anti-trans legislation right now, even when she personally says she doesn't support it.
    Good grief. Do your homework, Drew, et al. Mark Yarhouse is an incredible human and has worked hard to support LGBT youth and was on the APA/SAMHSA committee with me to end conversion therapy for LGBT youth. Stop spreading lies. You all should be thanking him. I’m disgusted.

Oh, and she also advocates denying HRT to suicidal trans people. Because asshole. Many physicians demand trans people be mentally stable before HRT ignoring that having the wrong hormone mix, uh, isn't good for your mental health. Even if you have non-related depression, odds are good being denied trans care will make it worse!

A common lie of transphobes is that we have 100% backing of and "control" the medical establishment. Obviously, that's a lie. It's just working the ref because they hate trans people.

"Parental rights" is a big thing among conservatives, at least at the moment. Same thing for the anti-CRT stuff, same thing for the Don't Say Gay stuff, same thing for censoring books about race or sexuality from school libraries. To conservatives, kids are basically chattel they can do whatever they want with.

As a liberal parent, my rights to indoctrinate my child to be extremely woke, are being infringed.

However, they don't care about that!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2022/03/11/texas-judge-halts-all-child-abuse-investigations-into-gender-affirming-care-for-transgender-youth/
    The Third Court of Appeals in Austin reinstated an injunction against the state’s child abuse investigations late Monday. A district court judge first issued the injunction on March 11, but the state said it could continue its probes nonetheless because it immediately appealed.

The appeals court sided with the plaintiffs, including a state employee with a transgender daughter, in exercising its discretion to put the investigations back on hold. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, however, will likely continue to fight the injunction.

The fact that specialty clinics care for patients into their twenties confirms what most understand: Turning 18 does not mean one attains adult competency — particularly for life-altering medical decisions like gender transition.
    Every week, I hear from the parents of such young people who report their child has announced a change in gender identity and intends to go on hormones or already has done so. In too many of these cases, there has been no dialogue between parent and child

Aside from not treating adults like, oh, adults, notice again the focus on the parents. Not the patient. In what other field of medicine is this ever done? The person writing this is trans, and of the "I had to go through the bullshit, so you do too" variety.

The jackass writing this used to work for the professional association writing the standards for care of trans people, and is endorsed by the person who heads the current children's section. Who is herself a bit of a crank. Note this interaction, spoilered because it involves quoting a bigot:
    Horrible bigot:
    Take a step back. Gender identity/expression is a cult ideology into which children are now indoctrinated in the education system. We need to clear this out of our schools. No one is trans. Ppl are NOT born in the wrong body. No one needs puberty blockers & medical transition.

Meanwhile trans advocates get blocked or called liars for accurarely describing what a collegue endorsed:
    The WPATH chair responded here and blocked me. She has some culpability for what is going on in anti-trans legislation right now, even when she personally says she doesn't support it.
    Good grief. Do your homework, Drew, et al. Mark Yarhouse is an incredible human and has worked hard to support LGBT youth and was on the APA/SAMHSA committee with me to end conversion therapy for LGBT youth. Stop spreading lies. You all should be thanking him. I’m disgusted.

Oh, and she also advocates denying HRT to suicidal trans people. Because asshole. Many physicians demand trans people be mentally stable before HRT ignoring that having the wrong hormone mix, uh, isn't good for your mental health. Even if you have non-related depression, odds are good being denied trans care will make it worse!

A common lie of transphobes is that we have 100% backing of and "control" the medical establishment. Obviously, that's a lie. It's just working the ref because they hate trans people.

"Parental rights" is a big thing among conservatives, at least at the moment. Same thing for the anti-CRT stuff, same thing for the Don't Say Gay stuff, same thing for censoring books about race or sexuality from school libraries. To conservatives, kids are basically chattel they can do whatever they want with.

It was when I was a kid too. My mom used to tell me about Christian scientists not showing transfusions and stuff and days that it was their right to refuse for their kids. Which always felt weird but at the time I was like "yep, they're the parents."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Horrible bigot:

I suspect it's mostly because kids are learning to call them on their bullshit, and leaving them and their churches.

Nah it's more cynical than that. It's because it's a winning strategy for them in local politics.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Horrible bigot:

I suspect it's mostly because kids are learning to call them on their bullshit, and leaving them and their churches.

Nah it's more cynical than that. It's because it's a winning strategy for them in local politics.

I think this is why it’s a winner though?

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited March 2022

Horrible bigot:

I was curious enough to actually skim a fairly lengthy study paper published a few years back at the Evangelical school Liberty University in which the author was trying to figure out why young people were leaving churches and how to get them back in. 91% of surveyed Millenials who had reported attending church as a teen but left as an adult stated that homophobia in churches was the main reason they had left.

It was telling that, despite commenting briefly on this finding, the author of the paper didn't bring up anything LGBT+ related for the remainder and instead suggested that churches could keep young people from leaving by hosting job fairs and trying to encourage people to build friendships and find older mentors in the church (said paper also showed that the majority of surveyed Millenials who did regularly attend church services reported getting to socialize with friends as more important than learning about God). What I took from that is that the author didn't even attempt to address homophobia and transphobia in churches and instead decided it was best to make sure people believed being gay or trans is sinful by encouraging friendships with people who believe it is.

It's unsurprising that the people who oppose LGBT+ rights are effectively trying to force their victims into hiding. It's easier to convince people of a narrative that being gay is wrong when they don't know any out gay people. When people grow up with LGBT+ representation not only in the people they know personally but also the media it becomes easier to accept LGBT+ people as actually being fellow human beings and not some hidden evil force akin to Satanic cultists. All of the people my age or younger I associate with that identify as some stripe of Christian are also pro-LGBT+ (including two preachers' daughters whose fathers are anti-LGBT+), though many of their parents believe being gay or trans is a sin against God and worry about the salvation of their pro-LGBT+ children for allegedly being led astray by false teachers (although they also worry that because their kids believe in evolution, too).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Turning 18 does not mean one attains adult competency

Oh fuck off. They never hesitate to charge children as adults. But this requires higher "competency".

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Oh fuck off. They never hesitate to charge children as adults. But this requires higher "competency".

Well, those are black children, which they also hate.

To be honest, a lot of these people also probably despise miscegenation.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

Well, those are black children, which they also hate.

To be honest, a lot of these people also probably despise miscegenation.

Speaking of, Mike Braun said that Loving was wrongly decided today.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Conservatism’s only coherency in its worldview is “fuck everybody not like me, and I don’t care to come up with a consistent justification for why”.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    In todays "Well that's a refreshing change" republican Governor(s) have slapped down a couple of trangender athlete bills in Utah and Indiana

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/utah-governor-vetoes-bill-banning-trans-girls-in-school-sports/ar-AAVnNXk?ocid=uxbndlbing
    (Reuters) - Utah Governor Spencer Cox on Tuesday vetoed a Republican-backed bill that would ban transgender girls from participating in girls' sports in schools, calling it a flawed measure with serious legal and financial risks.

The veto came a day after another Republican governor, Eric Holcomb of Indiana, halted a similar bill passed by that state's legislature.
    He said he favored a measure that would protect "the integrity of women’s sports" while also allowing some participation by transgender youth, noting the state currently has only four transgender students playing high school sports.

"Rarely has so much fear and anger been directed at so few," Cox wrote

"I don't understand what they are going through or why they feel the way they do. But I want them to live," he added, citing the high rates of trans youth reporting suicidality.

Legislatures are already threatening to try and override the vetos, sadly

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022

Utah's Republican Governor Spencer Cox, as he vetoes a ban on trans athletes passed by the state legislature, notes 75,000 high school athletes and only four are transgender. "Rarely has so much fear and anger been directed at so few."
    vk273a7edzei.jpg

Edit: Ah, I am slow I see.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I suppose the silver lining, is that we're seeing cracks in the GOP. Shame we have a bullshit de facto two party system (arguable the worst form of a two party system), so can't really use this to sink the lunatic party to the depths of hell, and allow a party that is less fucking toxic replace them.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Too much of the country is filled with hatred for any schism to be permanent.

Good on Cox, though. It’s nice to sometimes, on very rare occasions, see a Republican doing the right thing.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Too much of the country is filled with hatred for any schism to be permanent.

Good on Cox, though. It’s nice to sometimes, on very rare occasions, see a Republican doing the right thing.

His logic is so sound for an old religious conservative man: there isn’t any issue happening with these kids competing, and while he doesn’t really understand trans kids and athletes, this law is exceptionally cruel to them and he wants them to live and be safe. Which is a hell of a lot more compassion than any of his colleagues are showing.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Amazon to Seattle Pride 2022: We’ll donate 2.5x more than our highest donation ever—in exchange for getting the first float, priority ad space, a keynote speech from our corporate directors, and —oh yeah—you gotta rename the whole thing to “Amazon presents Seattle Pride”

Seattle Pride 2022: How about this: Take your dirty money, stick it entirely up your hategroup lobbying ass, get fucked, and now you’re banned from Pride.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/seattle-pride-cuts-amazon-as-a-sponsor/

Atomika on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Texas Pride.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/599580-texas-ag-says-austin-school-districts-pride-week-is-breaking-state-laws
    "Texas AG says Austin school district's Pride Week is 'breaking state laws'"

I mean, to be fair, he should know.

If anyone knows about breaking state laws, it's Ken Paxton. Multiple charges across diverse crimes. Securities fraud, abuse of office/bribery, whistleblower retaliation in relation to the prior, and it's been 7 years since the first charges, still not prosecuted. Must be good to be the AG when there are charges against you. He's also under ethics charges (professional misconduct) for his role in the Big Lie.

• Options
    Ken Paxton is an actual criminal who has no business being anywhere near the legal profession. He should be in fucking prison.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Hey guess what's back!

(Erin is a rando who does trans advocacy)
    Minnesota Republicans introduced HF3843, a bathroom bill that would bar all trans people from restrooms matching their gender identity.

We haven't had a bathroom bill since 2014 but a few states have, this cycle, attempted to introduce them back into the legislative process.

fuuucccckk youuuuuuu. Apparently Minnesota (EDIT: derp, meant Indiana) has one too but I haven't found that one

Oh and the researcher I quoted above about "kids can't make transition decisions til 25"? Would it surprise you she quotes someone who works for a hate group?

(Zinnia is trans does science and bullshit tracking)
    Has anyone else dug into Stephen B. Levine, who Erica Anderson @eanderh
    cited in her largely data-free attack on informed consent access to trans healthcare for adults? Because he is, well, a monster in ways not conveyed in her hint of a citation
    Here's a Feb 2022 expert report from him in a current case by the ADF against West Virginia for allowing trans girls to play on girl's teams
    It's one thing to act like you're arguing that trans people should have more comprehensive mental health evaluations available to them or should have more than one appointment for HRT, that's its own issue that can be addressed on its own terms, but this guy?
    This means citing someone who's spent a lot of time arguing - and by arguing, I mean saying these things to a court while calling it expertise - that there's no reason to think transition for any "young adult" is helpful or necessary or even safe, but you might kill yourself

ADF is "Alliance Defending Freedom", one of the numerous conservative legal hate groups with a name reversed from what they actually do. Which is sue places that try to do anything not in line with the ADF's religion. Mostly on LGBT people but they get some anti-Semitism in there too; they are in a case arguing Jewish people can be banned from adoption or foster care. using an anti-LGBT law.

On the other end of the scale:
    H628 has been passed in Vermont on concurrence! This removes old medical requirements for updating your birth certificate and instead mandates "a simple process to update your gender marker" and includes nonbinary gender markers!

Intersex rights advocacy group with an update on the bigot crossfire that killed an anti-trans bill:
    Idaho’s HB 675, which would have criminalized gender-affirming care for trans youth, is officially dead! As we celebrate this heartening victory, we cannot ignore the Idaho senate’s alarming admission that the bill was pulled not because of its shameful transphobia, but because
    it didn’t give a clear enough pass to doctors who perform harmful and unnecessary surgeries on intersex infants. Everyone deserves to feel at home in their bodies.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Not to diminish the travesty of bathroom bills, but there is definitely a bitter irony with that proposal and the fact that Minnesota recently adopted IPC as the basis of their State Building Code. Which, the ICC has responded to lobbying by trans groups to require gender neutral family bathrooms for any building that has a need of combined 6+ toilets/ urinals, and allows venues with fewer than 5 toilets to have a gender neutral/ family bathroom count for more than 1 toilet in order to encourage their use. (it's a lot cheaper to have 3 neutral bathrooms than gender segregated 2 stall facilities)

moniker on
  • Options
    Oh and if you were doubting the hate group thing, well.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/25/lgbtq-rights-gop-bills-dont-say-gay/
    The explosion of legislation is in part the culmination of efforts by a trio of conservative organizations, which are helping state legislators write and promote the bills. One of the most active — the Alliance Defending Freedom — has a decades-long history of fighting LGBTQ rights, including in battles to preserve state laws criminalizing consensual sex between gay adults, court records show.
    In a statement to The Washington Post, the group described its efforts regarding criminalizing LGBTQ sex as a “limited engagement” on the issue and said it is based on its “belief that marriage between on man and one woman is the best institution for human flourishing.” It also said it believes that the issue of whether to criminalize LGBTQ sex should be left to states.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Oh and if you were doubting the hate group thing, well.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/25/lgbtq-rights-gop-bills-dont-say-gay/
    The explosion of legislation is in part the culmination of efforts by a trio of conservative organizations, which are helping state legislators write and promote the bills. One of the most active — the Alliance Defending Freedom — has a decades-long history of fighting LGBTQ rights, including in battles to preserve state laws criminalizing consensual sex between gay adults, court records show.
    In a statement to The Washington Post, the group described its efforts regarding criminalizing LGBTQ sex as a “limited engagement” on the issue and said it is based on its “belief that marriage between on man and one woman is the best institution for human flourishing.” It also said it believes that the issue of whether to criminalize LGBTQ sex should be left to states.

And yet people like Ken White complain about Yale Law students protesting the Federalist Society giving these geese credibility by inviting them to debate.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    States rights (to harm minority groups and remove human and political rights from them in the hopes they will cease to exist)!

• Options
    States rights (to harm minority groups and remove human and political rights from them in the hopes they will cease to exist)!

That’s all “States’ Rights” has ever been, since before the Civil War

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Atomika wrote: »

Yeah it’s not often that states rights bills are morally just. I can think of 3 that are on the right side of history and I tried really hard to think of more. The other thousands are various shades of horrible or weird.

zepherin on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Yeah it’s not often that states rights bills are morally just. I can think of 3 that are on the right side of history and I tried really hard to think of more. The other thousands are various shades of horrible or weird.

What are the 3? Just out of curiosity.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular

Oh I've heard this song and dance before. It's all about states rights until states start rejecting the dogma.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's never really "states rights" just "rights of the part of government we have control of".

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    For instance, a states' right to decriminalize marijuana.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yep, I remember the lawsuits a few conservative controlled states filed against their neighbors that legalized and trying to prevent them from keeping it legal. There there was all the bullshit with slavery. Hell, I'd argue the few times where good shit gets legalized at the state level despite top down bullshit from republicans, I don't think those people ever referred to state's rights because they realize just how tainted that argument is. "State's rights" is just a line spouted by bigoted assholes to justify being allowed to continue to be shitty to groups they don't like.

God, do I want to eventually see a court respond to such arguments with a "your case is denied because your argument is state's rights and that has never been made in good faith. It's always the last refuge of bigots, trying to claim their persecution of a minority group is justified and legal."

I'm guessing transphobia, critical race theory and probably gas prices are going to be the things that the GOP runs on this fall.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Mill wrote: »
    Yep, I remember the lawsuits a few conservative controlled states filed against their neighbors that legalized and trying to prevent them from keeping it legal. There there was all the bullshit with slavery. Hell, I'd argue the few times where good shit gets legalized at the state level despite top down bullshit from republicans, I don't think those people ever referred to state's rights because they realize just how tainted that argument is. "State's rights" is just a line spouted by bigoted assholes to justify being allowed to continue to be shitty to groups they don't like.

God, do I want to eventually see a court respond to such arguments with a "your case is denied because your argument is state's rights and that has never been made in good faith. It's always the last refuge of bigots, trying to claim their persecution of a minority group is justified and legal."

I'm guessing transphobia, critical race theory and probably gas prices are going to be the things that the GOP runs on this fall.

And abortion. It'll always be abortion. Even if SCOTUS completely dismantles it, it'll be about how Democrats want to stack the court to reverse it. Because Republicans only have two actual policy positions. Hate and fear (also greed, but tax cuts for the rich aren't something they campaign on, just something they do). And fear that Roe will be reinstituted (should it be meaningfully neutered) will be their next position.

EDIT: I mean, there's this new Justice (if she's confirmed as expected), so it's clear that's what the evil Democrats are trying to do.

MorganV on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Not even repeal, they’ll keep going against contraception too as that’s the same thing in their mind.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    For TDOV another "good news, bad news, WHAT THE FUCK" roundup

First I present the conservative mindset towards children in one tweet (see second asshole in the picture). Tweet is a rando with an informative screenshot
    “Parents can hate their kids and no one should be able to stop them from abusing them” is a mainstream position coming from people trying to create a moral panic around child abuse.

Said asshole is " a Research Fellow at the Saltzman Institute of War and Peace Studies at Columbia University" according to his website's bio. Apparently Yale was jealous their alumns were getting all the asshole credit lately. "Parents should be able to hate their children, but not love them", because he supports the Texas anti trans law.

In Utah, the Senate overrode the governor's veto of an anti-trans bill 21-8. It's actually not even as stupid as some of them are, as it does provide for a commission to approve individual kids for participation in sports. The number of people assigned to said commission currently outnumber the number of active trans student athletes in the state by 2-1. Never let it be said the GOP won't waste money to hurt people.

Meanwhile, the Department of Justice sent out a letter "gently reminding" states that hey, most of this shit is illegal fuck off. It points out five federal laws said policies violate along with the Equal Protection Clause.
    https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/1489066/download

A bunch of lawsuits from last summer are still in progress and they've filed amicus briefs on a few more.

Department of State is allowing X as a gender marker on passports. I prefer the way Clinton handled this rather than being flashy about it, but adding a new category does require more press coverage than adjusting requirements to change the marker in the first place.

Social Security is removing a bunch of their requirements for updating your gender marker on those accounts.

The TSA is being required to use gender-neutral settings for their stupid backscatter machines. No idea how this one will work out in practice.

Press release for most of those is here
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/03/31/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-advances-equality-and-visibility-for-transgender-americans/ along with a bunch of fluff and a few other changes + a summary of various other things the admin has done.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I saw this tweet and thought it was a very interesting read. I don't have a link to the original source, and I'm not going to transcribe the whole thing, but I'll post the image of the text in a spoiler in case the tweet gets deleted. It's by a transman, commenting on western male socialization and how it differs from their past experiences with girls' side of things.

wl6w16gb1jbu.jpg

Also probably worth reading the reply thread starting with this tweet, where someone who goes by kit, esq. responds to another user ("icestickerart") that objected to the use of the phrase 'white imperialism' towards the end of skaldish's post.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Gender norms try to press everyone into the standard moulds.

That one of these moulds is more of a benefactor of many of these rigid structures than others doesn't mean they're not also heavily constrained by them and sanctioned if they don't work to fit into them.

These chains bind us all and losing them would free us all. But still many people that support these roles think that all that would happen is that "men would lose power", because everything can only be zero sum in their minds.

That it would free them as well is not something many even know, or are ready to accept. All they see is the chains that bind others to them, thinking this is the power they'd lose. They don't see the chains around themselves.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    This is why it pisses me off when people disparage men who identify as feminists. Feminism is the solution to the centuries of oppression of women, but also frees men from the toxic culture we are steeped in.

Being gay doesn’t make a man or woman less of a man or woman. And being a straight man with feelings or a desire for platonic intimacy with other men doesn’t make me less of a man, either.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    It's very interesting to hear from trans people how they are treated differently before and after transition. Plenty of reports from transwomen who suddenly became invisible at work and transmen who suddenly got a promotion, for instance.

• Options
    I always think on the depiction of platonic male relationships in things like Victorian literature where young men frequently shared beds and embraced and even kissed platonically

. . . contrasted with now where you gotta sit five feet apart in the hot tub

• Options
    I always think on the depiction of platonic male relationships in things like Victorian literature where young men frequently shared beds and embraced and even kissed platonically

. . . contrasted with now where you gotta sit five feet apart in the hot tub

Homophobia is a blight

• Options
    An interesting facet of post-transition life (I’m basically done now and generally pass in most contexts) is an assumption of accessibility and approachability.

Some of this, obviously, is not good. Not only have I been catcalled by randos, but on a few occasions strange men have been very aggressive in highly-visible situations where one would hope being in public would dissuade someone from such behavior. For instance, I had a butcher at a grocery store come out from behind the counter and start following me around and aggressively start asking me if I was single and where I lived, and I was making it extremely obvious I was not interested. So yeah, middle of the day, hundreds of people watching, public space, dude is on the clock—and still he just lurches into this very sexually threatening pursuit at his own workplace. Yikes.

Some, however, has been really positive, especially around other women. I’m frequently complimented on my shoes or makeup by complete strangers in a completely safe way with no sexual expectation driving it, or have coworkers ask me for tips on hair on eye makeup, or just have people close to me share things without asking. It’s inviting and warm and builds a sense of community that I never felt before.

One of my favorite success stories is a friend I’ve known since 8th grade, and when living as a guy there was always that barrier to our friendship where our connection couldn’t be openly talked about but instead had to be couched in furtive discussions about sports or our jobs or drunkenly going, “I totally love you, dude, you’re a cool dude.” Now we talk weekly, and now it’s about more intimate things like our families and politics and social progress; I’m Aunt Amy to his kiddos and they adore me, and we spend holidays and vacations together now several times a year. In fact, he’s coming up here in three weeks just to visit.

It’s sad that straight men largely don’t get to have that. We need that connection with each other.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2022
    Mill wrote: »
    Their strategy now is linking LGBT to pedophilia. In Virginia two books, one about sexual orientation and one about gender identity, got banned due to sex scenes.

And this is now the defense for the FL “Don’t say gay bill.”: it’s bad-faith arguments that insist the only thing to discuss to kids about being gay is literal sex education, as opposed to basic things like explaining different family composition so Molly isn’t bullied for having two dads. Then, for gender identity, they liken it to grooming kids to be trans. Grooming is the very key word here, as while the context here is different, “grooming” in the context of minors is commonly an adult essentially prepping the kid for a romantic/sexual relationship once they hit the age of consent. They want that association, so you’re subconsciously connecting LGBT with immoral perverts. Why are you so intent on giving kindergartners sex ed??? Why do you want to groom third-graders to be trans???

It’s very deliberate, and they know liberals suck at messaging, so this has been beamed all over tv, radio, and social media for a couple weeks now. The bill also has very dubious wording that makes it sound reasonable. Hey, can’t we just wait a couple years longer before introducing this stuff? But vague clauses like “age appropriate instruction” gives Florida flexibility in shutting down discussion while giving themselves plausibility since you’re most likely going to default to your definition of “age appropriate instruction”, which by definition should sound reasonable to you.

It also targets liberals, who may disagree with the law, but get huffy when they’re being told how to parent. So you get them to associate this shit with despicable acts AND appeal to their inner Entitle White Suburbanite, which allows them to things like flip a blue state.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png