As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    Actually, I've never watched the statue for more than a moment, but I hope people take notice if it starts flickering blue at any point.

LEDs are pretty ridiculously cheap now, you could have some fun with that.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    AlakhamiAlakhami Registered User regular
    Did you guys feel that the DLC did much to compliment the lore of the game? Frankly, I was a bit a dissapointed. It was fun and all and the tone was done perfectly (both visually and in terms of music) but at the end, I couldn't help but feel like it wasn't worth all the effort.

My youtube channel with in-depth game commentaries: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU63dcWD7oL1Tomkm9fhf1g
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    It was about what I expected. The difficulty curve was a surprise but after that it was some upgraded weapons, upgraded baddies, and a bit more fluff added to the story. I don't think it was groundbreaking but it was definitely satisfying.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Because it’s not post game content, I think that one of the major goals was to avoid spoiling the main game. There’s really only one moment I can think of that gives anything away about Zero Dawn, and that mostly just touches on what you already know from the game’s opening bunker.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think it's definitely fair to classify the DLC as "inessential." I enjoyed it, but not really for the lore (which was interesting but constrained by the fact that the DLC takes place midway through the base game). It was more just that I enjoyed the gameplay and new areas and baddies.

Gonna be so, so hyped for Horizon 2.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think it's definitely fair to classify the DLC as "inessential." I enjoyed it, but not really for the lore (which was interesting but constrained by the fact that the DLC takes place midway through the base game). It was more just that I enjoyed the gameplay and new areas and baddies.

Gonna be so, so hyped for Horizon 2.

There are at least three characters that it introduces* that I suspect that we'll see more of in the future.

* Spoilers
    OK, HEPHAESTUS was technically introduced in the main game, but it was in TFW that he first got a speaking role.

The others that I suspect we'll see again are CYAN and Ikrie.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    AlakhamiAlakhami Registered User regular
    I wish they'd expanded on the shamanistic stuff. (maybe make them eat magic mushrooms along with Aloy tripping with them, lols.) It'd be really interesting to see how that works out with all that technological sacralization going on.

But oh well.. Maybe they saved that for later.

My youtube channel with in-depth game commentaries: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU63dcWD7oL1Tomkm9fhf1g
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Wrapped up the DLC. i don’t think could do that last fight on a harder difficulty, I was struggling even on normal with fully upgraded gear.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Finally bought this.

Been waiting a long time for this one, I love a good open world post apocalyptic universe. Hope it delivers.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I hope you enjoy it! It was my favorite game last year in an extremely strong year and the DLC is good too.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I'm currently about 2/3rds in, and it is really fun. You really have to learn how to deal with each of the enemies, different tactics for different situations. It feels really satisfying, and like a hunter.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Finally bought this.

Been waiting a long time for this one, I love a good open world post apocalyptic universe. Hope it delivers.

It seems more post-post apocalypstic, based on the intro, with the dad gleefully cherishing their way of life while talking shit about the decadent, tech-addicted precursors.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Finally bought this.

It seems more post-post apocalypstic, based on the intro, with the dad gleefully cherishing their way of life while talking shit about the decadent, tech-addicted precursors.
    I'm just too lazy to write more than "post apocalypse".

Might start adding a + at the end of it.

• Options
    HZD's story definitely delivers the concept

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Is melee combat with the spear viable enough to forego the bow often or is it pretty much just there to knock off armor?

Still early so thinking how I'm going to play and invest skill points.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Is melee combat with the spear viable enough to forego the bow often or is it pretty much just there to knock off armor?

You can get some slick sneak attacks, and later a dismount stab that does fucktons of damage, but no, a 'spear spec' would be extremely unwise and probably not as fun.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

Not really. If the spear is used for combat mostly it is used for surprise attacks from the brush which can be effective or putting in some hits if an enemy gets close. I never found the spear effective outside of sneak attacks.

Once you upgrade the bow to hold 3 arrows and to go into bullet time things get a lot easier. Also, the spear becomes crazy obsolete for knocking off armor once you get the right arrows.

I'm sure some people used the spear effectively though.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Spears top out around the hyena equivalent things. But you can take out a whole pack with it once you're topped out.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Spears top out around the hyena equivalent things. But you can take out a whole pack with it once you're topped out.

Two hit kills on the Hyena bots is easily doable. And the first hit does damage to the stun compent, so the followup is easy.

Aside from that, spear is a nice to have but not rely on weapon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

There are videos out there of people killing Thunderjaws with just the spear.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Against anything more than human-sized, the spear is merely a placeholder for doing something more useful when you're in the moment and can't think of something more useful to do. Or don't feel you'll have the time because e.g. you're out of bullet time for the moment.

It is reasonably effective on humans and small robots however.

The major thing is there's just no depth to the melee combat. You have just two attacks: light, and heavy.

That's it.

Compared to the variety of weapons and different combos possible with literally everything else, melee combat can get old pretty quickly.

IMO it's worth putting a few points into, but your main focus should be your bow and similar. The stealth attacks in particular can be useful against humans if you're trying to avoid riling up an entire base for some of the main quest areas.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    There are videos out there of people killing Thunderjaws with just the spear.

Well yea, there are videos of people play Souls games unarmed with no stat upgrades. Doesn't mean it is a good way to play. The fastest thunderjaw kill I saw using the spear was 10 minutes.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    My go to was pretty much a jillion trip wires and the hunter's bow.

Spear is handy for knocking bots down but you need to run after the first stab or two.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    If your timing is good you can use spear heavy attacks to stop charging robos dead, which is the best thing ever. But beyond that, it's mostly for stealth and downed attacks. Swinging it around otherwise isn't really worth it.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Completed the Proving quest.
    Well, that got real pretty quickly.

My childhood bully is dead (woo!), my dad is dead, I'm probably a clone and being hunted down by the original (or another older clone) and now I can hack into ponies to get a ride.

Even though it probably doesn't really change anything, I like having the option to select Alloy's mood when talking in certain conversations.

She's all brains and anger so far.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2018

My childhood bully is dead (woo!), my dad is dead, I'm probably a clone and being hunted down by the original (or another older clone) and now I can hack into ponies to get a ride.

Even though it probably doesn't really change anything, I like having the option to select Alloy's mood when talking in certain conversations.

I think she is expertly designed and her personality is woven well into the plot.

edit: no matter which mood you choose. I went full heart.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

I think she is expertly designed and her personality is woven well into the plot.

edit: no matter which mood you choose. I went full heart.

Ditto, and I never strayed from that path. That is Aloy to me.

Clear Eyes. Full Heart. That's Canon.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I went a mix of Heart and Mind.

When things are fine, situation normal, everything is under control, I went Mind. When things are rough, when something bad is about to happen and things are on edge, I choose Heart.

There is exactly one case in the whole game and expansion where I choose fist, but man, I hammer that choice every time.

It’s the lost hunter quest in the expansion. When I’m reporting that the one girl made it down alone and that Ikrie didn’t return, yeah, I let Aloy’s anger out.

Ikrie was hurt deeply by her friend (girlfriend?) for the sake of traditions. I figured that that would touch something within Aloy.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    It was the same. Generally a mix of mind and heart depending on the situation. A few times though something uniquely dumb or atrocious would set my Aloy off.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Same here. My Aloy was kind and smart most of the time, unless she came across someone real terrible.

The most significant outburst for mine was when...
    The Nora began to bow and worship Aloy. To me, she would find that enraging, that after all she went through and did, they just fell back on a superstition. The same kind of superstition that made her an outcast in the first place.

The best part, was the dialog was absolutely satisfying when I did it.

Oh, found a link.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Oh, so, this is a minor spoiler for just after the proving, but I feel like its real important.
    After you've left the valley, come back sometimes and go to Rost's grave. Aloy will take off her focus, and talk to him, explaining everything that's happened since she last visited.

I find it very touching.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Oh, so, this is a minor spoiler for just after the proving, but I feel like its real important.
    After you've left the valley, come back sometimes and go to Rost's grave. Aloy will take off her focus, and talk to him, explaining everything that's happened since she last visited.

I find it very touching.

I was pretty bummed about
    Rost dying.

I hate the dead dad/mentor trope so much, its in everything and sometimes it feels really cheap. Characters can grow and develop without throwing a bunch of dead parental figures at them.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options

I find it very touching.

I was pretty bummed about
    Rost dying.

I hate the dead dad/mentor trope so much, its in everything and sometimes it feels really cheap. Characters can grow and develop without throwing a bunch of dead parental figures at them.

Well, at least it wasn’t Aloy’s
    mom or girlfriend getting fridged.

Mind you, it turns out that both of Aloy’s mothers are dead, so :rotate:

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

I find it very touching.

That keeps up with what you've been doing, so it's worth going back several times as you progress.
    I think Aloy doesn't take her focus off until she becomes aware that someone's watching her through it.
    Apart from that, she provides a nice sort of 'previously, on Horizon Zero Dawn' recap. Which can be handy if you've been away from the game for a while. Or spent the last 20 hours doing every side-quest you can find before checking out that dig site.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I find it very touching.

That keeps up with what you've been doing, so it's worth going back several times as you progress.
    I think Aloy doesn't take her focus off until she becomes aware that someone's watching her through it.
    Apart from that, she provides a nice sort of 'previously, on Horizon Zero Dawn' recap. Which can be handy if you've been away from the game for a while. Or spent the last 20 hours doing every side-quest you can find before checking out that dig site.
    I managed to miss the grave when it first appeared, and never remembered to go back until like the end of the game, and the first thing Aloy does is apologize for taking so long to visit. Made me feel like a proper tool.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Alakhami wrote: »
    Did you guys feel that the DLC did much to compliment the lore of the game? Frankly, I was a bit a dissapointed. It was fun and all and the tone was done perfectly (both visually and in terms of music) but at the end, I couldn't help but feel like it wasn't worth all the effort.

If you find a carefully hidden message, it does suggest that Ted Faro
    might be alive even after thousands of years. It talks about very effective life extension technology with promising trials (even aside from the cryo stuff we've seen in other areas of the game).

I think he's alive in some form, and Aloy will get to 1) show him he hasn't gotten away from Sobek, and 2) punch him in his dumb fucking face.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I demand that the sequel gives Aloy a miniature watcher companion.

Upgrade it over time from meek small thing to launching laser beams out of its face and grenades from its shoulder mounted launchers.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Something that bothered me about the “lost hunters” dlc quest

DLC side quest spoiler
    The point of the “test” is supposedly for young hunters who want to join the werak, by duplicating the conditions their ancestors had to survive. And yet, the conditions under which new recruits are tested are actually more difficult. Because the ancestors had each other. And they obviously worked together to survive the ordeal. But nooooo, that’s forbidden for new recruits. What a crock of shit.

Actually that sort of tracks with one of the themes of the entire game, which I’ll also spoil.
    Tradition? Fuck your stupid tradition!

• Options
    I demand that the sequel gives Aloy a miniature watcher companion.

Upgrade it over time from meek small thing to launching laser beams out of its face and grenades from its shoulder mounted launchers.

I want to be able to rip weapons off of other creatures and plug them into it.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Something that bothered me about the “lost hunters” dlc quest

DLC side quest spoiler
    The point of the “test” is supposedly for young hunters who want to join the werak, by duplicating the conditions their ancestors had to survive. And yet, the conditions under which new recruits are tested are actually more difficult. Because the ancestors had each other. And they obviously worked together to survive the ordeal. But nooooo, that’s forbidden for new recruits. What a crock of shit.

Actually that sort of tracks with one of the themes of the entire game, which I’ll also spoil.
    Tradition? Fuck your stupid tradition!

This largely tracks with the older generations treatment of the younger, historically.

This discussion has been closed.