Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Also HADES may have malfunctioned as part of normal things and not due to any outside interference. The whole thing that started right around Alloy's birth. Gaia destroyed the mountain to destroy Hades, because he started trying to override the boundaries set in place. Sylens got the focus and started chatting with Hades shortly after.

I'm kind of wondering if Hades went crazy because of faulty programming and then started overstepping its bounds (though I thought the idea was that the sub-routines were not AI) and going crazy trying to take control of everything. Or if Hades went crazy because the guy who wiped out Apollo (main Hades guy), had a twisted logic that humans shouldn't exist (not just that humans shouldn't have the past knowledge).

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    For HADES
    considering that GAIA, and HADES, were both being constructed in the middle of an automated life-eating machine swarm gobbling up the planet, having any part of GAIA that defaults to "kill everything" would not be on anybody's design agenda. "There are enough safeguards that it should be fine" was Faro's reasoning with the original swarm, and that was what led directly to the end of the world. So yeah, it's possible that HADES just defaults to trying to kill everything if unsupervised, but it would be unlikely.

Further, the virus that screws everything up turns HADES actively hostile against GAIA, which was not part of the design. HADES is supposed to override her if the current development is untenable,
    but not try to destroy her outright. The instant HADES knows GAIA is fighting back, it turns on her, so it was definitely screwed up beyond just getting cut loose.

As for HADES running alone
    just went through the bit of story today talking about HADES and GAIA, and GAIA explicitly states that there was intrusion into her systems by an external source. HADES trying to kill everything may be a normal consequence of it running solo, but the threat source was entirely external, not internal. Until something or someone introduced malicious code into GAIA's systems, everything had been running for hundreds of years without issue.

Something to also keep in mind is that
    humans didn't construct all of the AI modules. They build GAIA and did most or all of the work on things like APOLLO, but GAIA was ultimately responsible for actually finishing all of the AI systems being built for her to use. There wasn't enough time for humans to complete everything else, so GAIA has had hundreds of years to perfect these systems. They wouldn't be decaying,
    but actually getting better as time went on and GAIA was able to further revise them.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    klemming wrote: »
    navgoose wrote: »
    Wait a sec,
    The control codes for the swarm were decrypted long ago. Gaia and the rest of Zero Dawn had to be in stasis for few hundred years while encryption being broken. HADES may very well have them or access to them as part of its normal function. I was also under the impression HADES was not corrupted by a virus or malfunctioning, per se, it was just operating without oversight thanks to the "signal" which broke the AI's off from Gaia. Sylens thought he was able to contain HADES and bargain with it for knowledge but it found itself under new masters which were more willing(or ignorant) to let it do what it wanted (detroy the world).
    Sylens never knew HADES wanted to destroy the world; he got duped. He was making a bargain for information, but he didn't know what HADES endgame was until you find out in the story.

I am not 100% trusting of what Sylens says.

Edit:

The unknown intrusion is intentionally vague. Doesn't mean virus, maybe a hack, could be freaking aliens or robots. The beauty of the writing staff telling enough with pigeonholing themselves into a future plot.

navgoose on
  • Options

just went through the bit of story today talking about HADES and GAIA, and GAIA explicitly states that there was intrusion into her systems by an external source. HADES trying to kill everything may be a normal consequence of it running solo, but the threat source was entirely external, not internal. Until something or someone introduced malicious code into GAIA's systems, everything had been running for hundreds of years without issue.
    I thought the external intrusion was because she was transmitting at another location and it was referring to Hades trying to bash in and control.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Radiation wrote: »

I thought the external intrusion was because she was transmitting at another location and it was referring to Hades trying to bash in and control.
    No, GAIA says exactly that there was an intrusion from an outside source which severed her control of her sub-units; those sub-AI then became independent and fled her reach, which meant most of them would keep operating as normal for a long time because their objectives were to keep improving the biosphere but would ultimately fail without her to direct them.

It's only after GAIA's control is severed that HADES attempts to take full control of her resources, expressly in order to more quickly wipe out the planet (GAIA gives the number of 58 days,
    if HADES wasn't stopped). So HADES is no problem at all until something from an outside source, at a minimum, breaks it free of the restraints that keep GAIA in charge of it and, likely, corrupted its protocols so it could justify attacking GAIA and destroying everything. GAIA would've spent hundreds of years working on that AI herself, after all, so it would be all but impossible for it to be able to randomly go bad in a way she couldn't stop. Three microseconds after the intrusion event, GAIA initiated the self-destruct of the facility and began Aloy's gestation, denying HADES the means to destroy the planet itself while also making a way for GAIA to be restored and the terraforming project to be restored. GAIA is completely prohibited from contacting the humans then on Earth, but what survives of HADES is either independent enough or corrupted enough to not care and sends out a signal, which causes Sylens to come get it and start giving it resources.

The graphic for the intrusion also strongly implies that it corrupts HADES as well as breaking all the other modules free (though the other modules are unharmed), but it isn't expressly stated that it actually does anything to HADES other than let it run free. Building a second self-replicating AI that defaults to killing everything while trying to avoid the end of life from the first such threat would be supremely dumb, but hey, good old Ted Faro was on the project so it's entirely possible he put his own special brand of stupid in there.

All of which fits nicely with
    the ideas that either the Odyssey did actually survive and/or that Faro had a cryogenic/clone facility set up somewhere, with one or both of those having motives to let HADES go rampant.

A society of Faro clones would obviously be the pinnacle of the human asshole and would consider the entire GAIA project to be a waste of time, and would want to destroy it to put in place its own idea of a "fixed" world; after all, Faro isn't in with the other Alphas when he murders them, we don't see his body, there are other facilities hidden out on the crumbling Earth, and it's actually possible to travel with the swarm out there if a person is careful. So Ted could very well have been calling from his own facility, or escaped to it after the fact.

And a human culture isolated to space for 900 years would be plenty divergent enough to not care about a bunch of primitive people living on Earth but would want the Earth for itself, so could easily justify also killing everyone off so they can set down and take over.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Oh shit, watching it again it totally is external.
    Neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G-kkMFU1qM

Man, I want more of this game and more story and books and whatever else.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Neat!

Such a good scene.
    I love the moment where GAIA begins to despair about failing and then just rebounds because of Elisabet. Such a good moment. Sylens' comment to Aloy about her important is pretty good as well.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Such a good scene.
    I love the moment where GAIA begins to despair about failing and then just rebounds because of Elisabet. Such a good moment. Sylens' comment to Aloy about her important is pretty good as well.
    "Oh no it's going to be physically impossible for you to get in here to hear this message oh wait no it won't because you're Elisabet Fucking Sobek."
    I'm also a sucker for things where AIs make all these massive choices in milliseconds, then leave a message to the slow meatspace organics to explain what that huge explosion was.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Such a good scene.
    "Oh no it's going to be physically impossible for you to get in here to hear this message oh wait no it won't because you're Elisabet Fucking Sobek."
    I'm also a sucker for things where AIs make all these massive choices in milliseconds, then leave a message to the slow meatspace organics to explain what that huge explosion was.

Hi excuse me have you read A Fire Upon The Deep?

• Options
    Long overdue, but I finally started playing The Frozen Wilds.

I'm still working my way through, but I have a couple of questions:
    Do Frostclaws spawn anywhere? I've found a few Scorcher areas (Which I now avoid like the plague now I've got all the parts I need for all the armor/weapons), but no Frostclaw areas, just quests where they've shown up and made a point of not dropping any lenses, perk to make them more common be damned.

I assume there aren't any Fireclaws until I reach a certain quest or something? I've covered as much of the map as it'll let me, and haven't met any yet.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Long overdue, but I finally started playing The Frozen Wilds.

I'm still working my way through, but I have a couple of questions:
    Do Frostclaws spawn anywhere? I've found a few Scorcher areas (Which I now avoid like the plague now I've got all the parts I need for all the armor/weapons), but no Frostclaw areas, just quests where they've shown up and made a point of not dropping any lenses, perk to make them more common be damned.

I assume there aren't any Fireclaws until I reach a certain quest or something? I've covered as much of the map as it'll let me, and haven't met any yet.
    I would have thought that there are areas where Frostclaws roam wild, but I know that they are part of one/some of the hunting trials. You could repeat the trial until you get the part you need.

Yes, Fireclaws show up after a story event, and once that happens, an errand/sidequest opens up to hunt them in the wild. Not sure if they stick around at the sidequest areas after the quest is done, but story event + the sidequest was enough to get me the trophy.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I thought there was at least one Fireclaw area, but it's been a while.

• Options
    I hope so, unless they hard code some of them to drop green/blue parts, because having a limited enemy that you need RNG to get all the gear sounds like bad design. I don't think they've done that anywhere else, so I'll be surprised if they do it here.
    And it turns out that the area where you kick the Chieftain's ass at kicking ass turns into a Frostclaw area afterwards, so I'm apparently sorted there (another three Frostclaws, still no lenses).

It feels like there's just the one main quest to go, and I still haven;t found out how this is all Ted Faro's fault (I mean, besides the main reason this is all his fault). I assume I'll find a log of how he personally smashed the AI looking after this area with a hammer or something?

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Neat!

Such a good scene.

The part of this that intrigues me the most isn't
    so much where the signal came from; it's where did the other modules go? They weren't destroyed. They escaped. As GAIA said, "but to where?"
    Also, Lance Reddick is so great as a VO actor. His delivery of
    "What are you talking about? You had two. A dead woman and a machine."
    is excellent.

Also also, I just rewatched the scene where (ENDING SPOILERS)
    Aloy finds Elizabet's body.
    NO, YOU'RE THE ONE TEARING UP, GOD! *ahem* I haven't put the full 2 and 2 together, but I do love the image of
    the triangle pattern found around metal flowers also surrounding her resting place.

I haven't played this since it came out, and my friend is currently playing through it. If I didn't have MHW to keep me busy right now, I'd be riding him to hurry the fuck up and finish it, cuz I want to play the DLC!

How is the story in that, anyways? Does it live up to the main story of Zero Dawn? Is it anywhere near as interesting?

Fawst on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Fawst wrote: »
    Neat!

Such a good scene.

so much where the signal came from; it's where did the other modules go? They weren't destroyed. They escaped. As GAIA said, "but to where?"

I read that as obvious sequel bait.
    Fawst wrote:
    I haven't played this since it came out, and my friend is currently playing through it. If I didn't have MHW to keep me busy right now, I'd be riding him to hurry the fuck up and finish it, cuz I want to play the DLC!

How is the story in that, anyways? Does it live up to the main story of Zero Dawn? Is it anywhere near as interesting?

In Monster Hunter?

That is not a game series you go to for story. Fabulous looking food? Sure! Story? Fuck no.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Neat!

Such a good scene.

That second spoiler is basically the sequel hook. We've got all these rogue AIs with various compulsive behaviors, unable to be moderated due to being separated by GAIA.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Neat!

Such a good scene.

I read that as obvious sequel bait.
    Fawst wrote:

In Monster Hunter?

That is not a game series you go to for story. Fabulous looking food? Sure! Story? Fuck no.

Oh sorry, I totally meant "how is The Frozen Wilds?" The story of MHW is pretty much "See that monster food? Go kill it so we can see how it tastes. For science!" :)

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    NO, YOU'RE THE ONE TEARING UP, GOD! *ahem* I haven't put the full 2 and 2 together, but I do love the image of
    the triangle pattern found around metal flowers also surrounding her resting place.

My reading of that is
    that the metal flowers, and the poems stored within them, are GAIA’s elegy to Elisabeth Sobek, scattered throughout the world they remade together.

And now someone has snuck in here with an onion dicer. This gaaaaaaame, Guerilla how did you do it!?

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    Finished Frozen Wild:
    Mostly what I expected, but at the end I was expecting CYAN to pull a full self-sacrifice ala GAIA, so it was a surprise to see her survive.
    It was nice to have her confirm the fairly solid theory why the machines all turned aggressive, and it does make me wonder if CYAN could serve as the basis for a new GAIA? Failing that, let her tune in to Aloy's focus and serve as a mission control in the next game.

And it turns out Ted Faro's got a weird cycle to him, huh?
    First he saves the world (led/funded the 'claw-back' operation, even if it was Elizabet providing the smarts behind it).
    Then he kills the world with the Swarm.
    Then he funds saving the next world with Zero Dawn.
    Then he fucks that world over.
    So assuming he survived for a while, he should have tried to do something good for the world before doing something else that colossally fucks it up again (I'm still treating him/his clone/brain-implanted AI as the number one suspect for the signal that set all the functions loose).

Now I've just got one trophy left; NG+ Ultra Hard.
    Common sense tells me to take advantage of my packed inventory and fully-modded stuff to just brute-force my way through the main quests.
    OCD is saying to do everything, including FW to get extra copies of the unique mods.

Do I choose sanity or not?

• Options
    Faro
    is by all indications so massively egotistical that it's unlikely he believes the swarm is actually his fault. He almost certainly thinks he's done nothing but good things for the world,
    and that other people have interfered and screwed it up. He didn't back HZD or the military effort to stall the swarm because he had a choice, he did it to keep from getting blamed for causing the problem.

Given how he tries to sabotage HZD, it's almost certain that he thinks humanity is worthless except for what he can do to make it "right". And given the choice between risking the existence of the human race and being blamed for almost killing everything on the planet, he'd rather play Russian roulette and try to escape the blame; he's done that on two different occasions already.

I'm betting him or some legacy of his is behind the whole thing as well, complete with his usual fucked-up approach of assuming he knows what is best and being willing to destroy everything to prove that he is right.

The guy is basically MCU Tony Stark, if Tony Stark completely bought into the myth of his own greatness and was wholly incapable of learning differently (instead of being only mostly incapable of that).

• Options
    I finished off the main story for the DLC. Need to do the side quests. I really love the unfolding of this world, and I really want more of it. I don't care what, just give me more! Books, DLC, another game.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I just played this, and it might be my favorite game of the last few years. And I've played a LOT of really good games lately.

Without going into heavy Frozen Wilds spoilers:
    There can be backup facilities capable of hosting AI.

I believe that is...
    Demeter, the flora restoration function. That it recognizes Elizabet and places flowers there... that to me is a hint that perhaps not all of Gaia was destroyed. Maybe some of her is with Demeter. Or perhaps Gaia did that a while ago, before she overloaded the reactor.

On the topic of the Signal:
    The corruption definitely came from outside somewhere. The question is... where? I see a few potential sources.
    -The robots became aware of Gaia toward the end and built something to corrupt her. Maybe something off-world, as a backup. It took a while to finish or reveal itself?
    -Ted Faro had apparently built his own bunker to live out his days after the end of the world. Given his behavior, he might have built something there. Or tinkered with something and messed up again.
    -One of the logs talks about the colony ship being sent off into space, and eventually they learn it failed or was somehow destroyed, including its backup of Apollo. What destroyed it? Did they come across something alien? Did the Machines follow it, and just now got back to Earth?

And that brings up one other possibility of the signal... If it DID come from an alien source of some kind, clearly with malicious intent... how certain are we that the Faro Plague happened by accident?

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Should I start a new game for Frozen Wilds, or can I just use my endgame save?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

It's endgame content, so I'd go with the endgame save.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

You can use your endgame save.

Do note that Aloy’s responses to things can differ significantly based on when you do things. If you wander in at the first available opportunity, Aloy will do a lot of “what the heck is this thing that I see is a thing?” And if you go in with a 100% completion main story save Aloy will do a lot of “oh hey, this thing is probably related to that thing that I saw elsewhere, I bet that this is happening because of that thing that I am aware of.”

Also, one DLC character will have significant additional dialogue options added and changed after the main part of the DLC as Aloy progresses through the main quest. Aloy will be like “Oh hey, I saw this thing.” And the DLC character will be like “Hey, I totally know something about that!”

Sylens will also have a bit of additional dialog if you do the DLC after you’ve met him.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I pulled this out of my backlog and had to use a guide to find the only early-game sidequest that upgrades Aloy's Ticklestick.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    I pulled this out of my backlog and had to use a guide to find the only early-game sidequest that upgrades Aloy's Ticklestick.

I think there's only two total. The one in the Nora area, and the DLC quest that lets you add staff mods. And the conversion thing but that's mandatory.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    So I only played maybe the first 15 minutes of this last night, but god damn is it pretty.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Yeah. The photo mode is such a beautiful thing.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately this game has fallen into my hole of "I just want to play this all day" as I'm increasingly becoming less comfortable spending an entire day playing one game.

Riding robots is fun as hell tho

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Haven't actually looked at the photo mode yet!

Probably helps that it's the first >1080p game I've played, on my new PS4 pro, on my relatively new TV, so it's kinda just a confluence of so much pretty that I'm not used to yet.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Hell, at 1080 it still looks amazing!

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Man I finished Frozen Wilds but I'm not sure about the post quest to hunt down 5 Fireclaws or whatever they are. Just one pretty much depletes my ammo and material reserves.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    It's been a while, but I recall ropecaster + triple frozen arrows + triple hardened arrows being a solid combo. The icethrower works too.

• Options
    Yeah icethrower fucks them up.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It took me an embarrassingly large number of deaths to realize the Stormchaser “overheats” and kills you if you shoot it continuously for too long.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    It took me an embarrassingly large number of deaths to realize the Stormchaser “overheats” and kills you if you shoot it continuously for too long.

I also had this problem.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I'm from a very small town in the Northern US, and this statue is what greets you as you drive along a highway around it. Now, I'm not saying this should not be incorporated into the next Horizon, but I am demanding it.

6BU5znj.jpg

And yes, it is a friendly cowboy on a mechanical dinosaur.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Actually, I've never watched the statue for more than a moment, but I hope people take notice if it starts flickering blue at any point.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Horizon connection or not, that's a dope statue.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
This discussion has been closed.