As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The scenes are pretty varied in this game, I like it. Just finished my first cauldron and it was so different from everything else. Also the map reveal mechanic in this game is super cool

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Their marketing game, as always, is strong.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The scenes are pretty varied in this game, I like it. Just finished my first cauldron and it was so different from everything else. Also the map reveal mechanic in this game is super cool

It's funny. Even though I had seen it already getting to that part I was running around frantically thinking "What do I do!? How do I ride!"

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    ... so I put the first two modification items I found into my bow, thinking "hey they are crappy if it doesnt let me remove, it will probably let me destroy and replace" Within 15 minutes I found like 8 more that were at least double in power. I go to do anything "oh you need a skill to do that" I check the tree... its at the fucking end of 4 nodes. So like 10+ levels to be able to switch out modifications? Why not warn me before making a permanent choice so early on with common items?

You are kidding, right? Do I eventually just get new bows of the exact same type with empty slots again? Because this is fucking rediculous if not. I really hope the first vendor I see is just like "oh common bow with 2 slots, 1 stick please"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    ... so I put the first two modification items I found into my bow, thinking "hey they are crappy if it doesnt let me remove, it will probably let me destroy and replace" Within 15 minutes I found like 8 more that were at least double in power. I go to do anything "oh you need a skill to do that" I check the tree... its at the fucking end of 4 nodes. So like 10+ levels to be able to switch out modifications? Why not warn me before making a permanent choice so early on with common items?

You are kidding, right? Do I eventually just get new bows of the exact same type with empty slots again? Because this is fucking rediculous if not.

You can overwrite old mods with new ones, Tinkering (the skill) is just required to unsocket them so you don't lose your rare ones.

There are many different bows in the game, you'll be going through a few.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options

You are kidding, right? Do I eventually just get new bows of the exact same type with empty slots again? Because this is fucking rediculous if not.

You can overwrite old mods with new ones, Tinkering (the skill) is just required to unsocket them so you don't lose your rare ones.

How do I socket new ones then? The two options are grayed out, the main one saying you need the skill. I went into the mods thinking I would do it from there, but there was no options on them.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

How do I socket new ones then? The two options are grayed out, the main one saying you need the skill. I went into the mods thinking I would do it from there, but there was no options on them.

I just go into crafting and then select weapon modifications. You have to have a modification that fits a bow, they are exclusive to their type.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Only got to play an hour or two tonight. Loving this so far. Especially these machines and how attacking body parts matters a lot.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    (ridiculous)

I went down into my first FORBIDDEN place today and it was super good. it was like the tombs in Tomb Raider but robots and longer.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Maaaaan this game is good. I got through the
    proving

and holy crap the game is gorgeous.

The writing is mostly great and I'm absolutely enthralled by the story so far.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Played through the opening, the robo-dinos are the most fun thing so far. The dodging and aiming feels pretty good... seems pretty generous with what counts as "headshot", but still reasonable.

I got pretty frustrated with the ruin though, which I thought was WAY too obtuse for so early in the game. All is forgiven if a main/side quest will teach that trick soon and I went exploring too early, otherwise I don't think I'll have the patience for other "secrets".

Thankfully, everything else has been excellent!

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    This world is a lot of fun to explore and night-time is goddamn gorgeous. Haven't taken any pictures with Photo Mode yet, but I did fiddle with it a bit and I'm glad it's about on par with Uncharted 4's.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Expected to play for about an hour tonight but just played for about four. Love the open world, the MMO-like questing system, the insane graphics... grappling with machines is the greatest, and I'm already very interested in seeing where this story goes. I'm hooked.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Thankfully they included those fast travel packs. During the Bronn quest I got stuck to the ground chasing tracks.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Thankfully they included those fast travel packs. During the Bronn quest I got stuck to the ground chasing tracks.

Yeah I had the same thing happen when you find the bucket.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Game was waiting for me in the mailroom when I got to work (I work until 11 PM)

I played 4 and a half hours straight upon getting home, just finished the first fight with
    The big robot that takes control of other robots

and I think it's finally about to let me go out and just start wandering. Normally I would be furious at a game taking so long to take the training wheels off, but I absolutely cannot be angry with this game, it is amazing.

Also I can't stop gathering. this is why my Skyrim characters always wound up with 200 thistle in their bag.

send help

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I have to say while I like the IDEA of the machines I don't really like them in practice. They just seem to be mecha versions of animals. Why not just use the animals? I wish they were more actually machine like; different and weird.

But then I've only played like 3 hours so I expect that gets explained later.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I have to say while I like the IDEA of the machines I don't really like them in practice. They just seem to be mecha versions of animals. Why not just use the animals? I wish they were more actually machine like; different and weird.

But then I've only played like 3 hours so I expect that gets explained later.

"Real animals are insanely hard to animate realistically, if a robot fucks up people just think its buggy" was probably the design problem. Not to mention not having to have fur/hair to the same degree on everything walking around.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Also real animals don't shoot lasers or rockets or hover or lay traps. ;)

At least.... none at my Zoo ever did. Maybe I have a bad Zoo.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options

then why make the machines behave like animals? just make them machines.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Played 3 hours yesterday after work, now I'm at work again and can't wait to dump more in to it.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

What would machine-machines do, exactly? Just stand perfectly still until someone approaches?

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular

Well, from a metanarrative standpoint, it's kinda the whole aesthetic hook of the game--Neolithic huntress vs robot dinos.

As far as an in game reason for why there are robot animals, I'd imagine we'll probably find out?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I accidentally drove to Best Buy last night, and accidentally bought this game, even though I totally don't have time for it.

It's amazing.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, it seems weird (to me) to complain that they should have just made the machines regular old animals. I mean, first of all, I'm assuming that there's a narrative reason for it all and we'll soon find out why this world is the way it is. Second, these machines are more interesting than real animals - they have armor and weaponized weak spots, they can move in ways that animals can't... and while I'm still early in the game, I imagine (and sort of know, from preview footage) that the size and scale of them (and their crazy abilities) will grow beyond what exists in the real world. "But this is fantasy," you say. "Make a giant bird with feathers and skin instead of metal and glowing lights." I mean, I guess. Again, narrative.

Now, if you maybe want to complain that the early hunting (in the first area) should have involved real animals rather than Watchers, then... I mean, that's not an unrealistic thing to say. But that tutorial section also was designed to teach you how to deal with robo pathing, robo-weak points, etc. that you'll need as you get into the meat of the game.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

because it's cool?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Also small pet peeve.

There's no lock on system, I was browsing through the control schemes but turns out it's not there.

That first corrupted fight, the dinosaur with the rocket launchers was a bit frustrating, for some reason he ignored everyone else and was always targeting me and too fast with catching up to me, I was desperately trying to stay alive and running and munching leaves I could find. Every time I grabbed and consumed one he managed to laser beam me, knocking of 30 percent or more of my health.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    I think there's no lock on because even though this game has a talent tree and is an RPG-lite, it has a lot more in common with Tomb Raider and Far Cry than it does with traditional RPGs. The bow mechanics are basically skill-based shooter mechanics.

Just look at the pedigree of this game. It is made by a company who has produced some top tier shooters for the last 15+ years.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I think there's no lock on because even though this game has a talent tree and is an RPG-lite, it has a lot more in common with Tomb Raider and Far Cry than it does with traditional RPGs. The bow mechanics are basically skill-based shooter mechanics.

Just look at the pedigree of this game. It is made by a company who has produced some top tier shooters for the last 15+ years.

I think there's an auto lock on for melee. Whenever I'm near a machine and start hammering the spear attack she goes right for it; even when I over ran and it was behind me.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Some thoughts from playing the game way too late into the night:

I love the dialog system. Very Mass Effect like, but not a binary nice lady/mean lady system. I've taken all three kinds of response at least once - my Aloy loves her Dad, tends to try to be clever while dealing with problems, but gets really pissed off when people lie to her.

The graphics and art design are pretty good. One very early moment really sticks out for me. I was looking at the world map, and saw what looked like a giant set of mechanical tentacles running down the mountain. I blinked, and then turned off the map to look in that direction. And yep, giant mechanical tentacles. Putting something that huge and awesome in plain sight and then not mentioning them takes confidence, and it's well placed I think. I also appreciate that Aloy seems fairly well built. She looks like she could play hockey or rugby, which is a great build for someone who does what she does.

My only complaint so far is the fighting against humans. It's just not as good as everything else, and during my first fight with humans I kept just wishing for it to be over so that I could get back to the good stuff.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    The issue with fighting humans - and the reason it's not as fun as fighting machines - is that when you fight them, it's all very samey unless you make your own fun. Like... you generally need to/want to rely on a diverse set of tools and tactics when going up against machines, but when you're fighting humans, it's just headshot-headshot-headshot, unless you go out of your way to get in close on some of them, use a few different items, etc. But there's no incentive to do so, other than making it less tedious. Note that this is a very early impression.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    "We are outcasts"
    "You are outcasts"
    "We are outcasts"
    "You are outcasts"

I get it... we're outcasts and you're all a bunch of a-holes.

Admittedly having a hard time getting into this one, but it's not the game -- it's me. I'm sure if I spend more time with it it will eventually click with me.

• Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    The issue with fighting humans - and the reason it's not as fun as fighting machines - is that when you fight them, it's all very samey unless you make your own fun. Like... you generally need to/want to rely on a diverse set of tools and tactics when going up against machines, but when you're fighting humans, it's just headshot-headshot-headshot, unless you go out of your way to get in close on some of them, use a few different items, etc. But there's no incentive to do so, other than making it less tedious. Note that this is a very early impression.

This is exactly it. They are a tedium. I would much rather have a bunch of robots.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular

Well, from a metanarrative standpoint, it's kinda the whole aesthetic hook of the game--Neolithic huntress vs robot dinos.

As far as an in game reason for why there are robot animals, I'd imagine we'll probably find out?

Oh my god... this is a new Turok game.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Machines are definitely more dangerous, and also more varied, which means the takedown methods are also more varied.

The most fun I have against human enemies is defintely stealth. Strike from Above/Below really helps with this, as does setting traps.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I got destroyed by the first group of machines I tried to engage. "Oh, there's only like 3 of them and I'm sure they will die in 1-2 hits from my b-OH GOD WHAT THEY'RE SO FAST, I DIDN'T HIT ITS WEAK SPOT AND IT TAKES LIKE 8 ARROWS AAAAGGGHH*CRUNCH*

10/10 GOTY

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    why am I at work and not at home playing this

I ran into a big fight between bad humans and machines last night and got annihilated like 10 times. There was one bellowback, 2 recyclers, a sawtooth, and 2 elite humans with GATLING ROCKET LAUNCHERS which is not okay. Until I had one, anyway.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    In case anyone is as foolish as me, I strongly recommend NOT buying any of the collectibles maps, with possible exception of Vantage Points (as they have connected narrative information).

• Options
    I am at work right now and not able to look at the settings menu. Is there a way to turn off the controller speaker sound effects? Going in and out of scan mode gets annoying with the little beedle-boop on the controller.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I know this is a fresh hot take but this game looks real nice, even on an OG ps4.

When stuff says valuable to merchants but nothing else is that just selling fodder? Don't want to get rid of anything that might be useful later.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
This discussion has been closed.