As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    I haven't had issues aiming. It took a few shots to get used to, but after that I've been 1-shotting Watchers.

Are you letting the bow draw fully before releasing?

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Fawst wrote: »
    I only got a little ways into the part where you first take control of Aloy, and I started falling asleep. I'm annoyed because
    I missed an audio log. I saw the icon but aiming at it did nothing. Also, there looked to be something else I could interact with through a wall gap.
    But because I was so sleepy last night, I forgot which way I was going and managed to get myself locked out of that area.

I think you already restarted, and @ED! already covered it, but I don't believe there are any missable collectibles. The one missable trophy involves something later in the game, supposedly.

Edit: This is like the busiest day of the month for me (closing out billing, trying to wrap up a bunch of things before March 1), and what this really means with respect to my inability to play Horizon is that today is going to be torturous. Probably won't get home til later than usual, and all I want to do is aim and fire muh bow-bow and take in the sights of this brave new world that has such robots in ittttt

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Dronus86 wrote: »
    I haven't had issues aiming. It took a few shots to get used to, but after that I've been 1-shotting Watchers.

Bow. . .draw? I have been using L2 and R3. I assumed she was already aiming.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    ED! wrote:
    You didn't miss it and are meant to go back.

Yeah, figured that out after I restarted. It was pretty obvious once I had my bearings and whatnot. With skipping audio logs and the cinematics that came before leaving there, it took me maybe 5 minutes to get back to where I was, if that. Worked out, let me experience the whole thing while actually wide awake.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »

I'm away from the game now, but iirc it's L2 to aim up a shot, R2 to draw the bow back. Then release R2 to fire. I believe you need to let the bow fully draw, but I'm not sure. I've never tried to rapid fire. R3 just slows time.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Seriously. This game. Took this this morning before I begrudgingly left for work.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    4.5 hours until work ends. 5.5 hours until I get home and get to start this.

Grrrrrrr.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Hold R2. The longer she draws, the better the aim gets, you'll see two lines move in towards the circle and then the entire reticle will flash. You should only be rapid firing if something is right in your face.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    How is this game best played in terms of HUD and quest markers and such?

• Options
    Zenitram wrote: »

Pure preference. The HUD is well done and doesn't get in your way. If I was to turn anything off it would be the path marker for quests. Not because I'm against them, I just find it easier/more fun to go cross country to get to things. That's how you find fun and interesting stuff you wouldn't normally see. Other than that I just leave the HUD on. It's not intrusive.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to pick this up either at the store today or on Amazon but could someone describe the "leveling" aspect that has been tied to this game?

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Just got home and found the game in my mailbox.

I had forgotten disc games have such an extensive install requirement.

• Options
    Leveling is done by small (mostly) linear skill trees with simple but good bonuses. 3 catagories of skills - fighting, hunting (sneaky), gathering (utility/resources). 1 point per level, first row requires 1 point per skill, second row is 2 points per skill. Levels seem to occur reasonably fast. I'm level 6 and I was goofing around for maaaybe two hours total.

I think your generic 'stats' go up too, but there's no choice there. It's just automatic scaling.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Zenitram wrote: »

Because they chose to forgo a minimap (a great choice, for sure), I feel like the Elder Scrolls-esque compass thing is just the right level of unintrusive. I keep the waypointing on too, but you could just as easily turn it off.

• Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    I switched to the Dynamic HUD mode. It leaves the Stealth HUD and Compass up all the time, but everything else fades out when not in use. At any time you can swipe the touchpad to flash the full HUD. I like it a lot better than the default. I may turn off the dynamic path indicators. It seems weird that they prioritize roads when roads dont really keep you safe or allow you to move faster.

About PSN downloads. I know everyone has a different experience, but don't let people here turn you off buying digitally. 1. Pre-load as soon as you can, dont wait till the last minute. 2. Try pausing and unpausing the download. It forces you onto a new mirror server, I've heard it can help. I downloaded this Sunday on 2 PS4s with no issue.

I got about 5 hours in last night. Damn, its almost shocking to play a game with a great story (Nioh's story was dumb) with characters you can't instantly peg as good or evil after 1 sentence. I learned something at 4.5 hours that could have been an end game reveal in another game.

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    My copy showed up pretty early today, so I'll be able to patch it during work and jump onto it as soon as I'm off the clock.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    They got the robots just right. They're weighty and mean and the way they move is... well, just about perfect. They move like animals but no matter what they're doing there's also something that shows off the fact that they're also death machines. It feels so good dismantling them both in melee and at range, looking for weakpoints, etc. Sliding under one as it pounces hit a weakpoint and see it tumble to the ground and I almost feel bad for it because it does look just like a wounded animal. I imagine it will only open up the more Aloy's ability to control them opens up.

But for now being able to ride around on one is awesome. Reminds me a bit of Shadow of Mordor.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Young Aloy is frickin' adorable.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Octavian wrote: »
    I switched to the Dynamic HUD mode. It leaves the Stealth HUD and Compass up all the time, but everything else fades out when not in use. At any time you can swipe the touchpad to flash the full HUD. I like it a lot better than the default. I may turn off the dynamic path indicators. It seems weird that they prioritize roads when roads dont really keep you safe or allow you to move faster.

About PSN downloads. I know everyone has a different experience, but don't let people here turn you off buying digitally. 1. Pre-load as soon as you can, dont wait till the last minute. 2. Try pausing and unpausing the download. It forces you onto a new mirror server, I've heard it can help. I downloaded this Sunday on 2 PS4s with no issue.

I got about 5 hours in last night. Damn, its almost shocking to play a game with a great story (Nioh's story was dumb) with characters you can't instantly peg as good or evil after 1 sentence. I learned something at 4.5 hours that could have been an end game reveal in another game.

That dynamic mode sounds really neat!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Only six more hours until I can play this againadoajfraarglbargl

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Be careful when you whistle for your mount. They will run right through a herd of anything and bring them right to you.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Great game so far, I had enough time this morning to get started and finish the first errand, I really like the Shadow of Mordor mechanics put in a great future setting.

• Options
    Speaking of mounts, if I had a complaint with the game so far, it's mounts. My play style does not lend itself to using mounts in this game. The mount and dismount animations are too slow, and I am constantly gathering and hopping off to sneak around. I save time by just not using a mount unless I'm going on a relatively long point to point journey that I'm sure I won't want to stop in the middle of when something catches my eye...which is almost never.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Speaking of mounts, if I had a complaint with the game so far, it's mounts. My play style does not lend itself to using mounts in this game. The mount and dismount animations are too slow, and I am constantly gathering and hopping off to sneak around. I save time by just not using a mount unless I'm going on a relatively long point to point journey that I'm sure I won't want to stop in the middle of when something catches my eye...which is almost never.

I've noticed myself doing this in every open world game with collectible things. FFXV, Witcher 3, and now this as well just make it too much of a hassle to pick up items if you're using a mount constantly.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Had to wait until today to order it.

Nnnngh curse my attachment to physical copies

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Octavian wrote: »
    Yeah, I may do this as well, per your advice and that of GiantBomb. I'll wait til I'm an adult and see how I feel. The contrast between techno-stylings and real-world beauty is cool, but from what I've seen in screenshots, there's just so much HUD clutter (because there's a lot to track). Jeff Gerstmann's big issue with dynamic HUD was that he could never remember what item he had equipped and would always fumble with the controller to try to figure it out during a battle instead of it coming naturally, so... what I might do is go dynamic but add the item mini-menu to the always-on stuff (because I think you can toggle settings for each HUD element, right?).

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Yeah, I may do this as well, per your advice and that of GiantBomb. I'll wait til I'm an adult and see how I feel. The contrast between techno-stylings and real-world beauty is cool, but from what I've seen in screenshots, there's just so much HUD clutter (because there's a lot to track). Jeff Gerstmann's big issue with dynamic HUD was that he could never remember what item he had equipped and would always fumble with the controller to try to figure it out during a battle instead of it coming naturally, so... what I might do is go dynamic but add the item mini-menu to the always-on stuff (because I think you can toggle settings for each HUD element, right?).

I'm early in the game, so maybe this changes when you have a TON more items to sort through. But right now Jeff's comments seem rediculous. Up always does your slow herb healing. Left and right quickly sort through your other items, and right now I have 4, so at most something is 3 direction button clicks away. Its very fast to scroll through and pick what you want. And he uses this to justify leaving the whole interface onscreen all the time? This item interface is faster to use and easier to read than the last few action games I played, and I don't need it onscreen for the large sections of time I'm not using potions or whistling.

• Options
    My early game tip is to prioritize an immediate increase to the size of your quiver 2 times. The mats are pretty cheap, and stuff you can gather immediately as an adult I think. A starting max arrow size of 20 is a crime. You can easily burn through 20 arrows in a small combat encounter, especially if it gets out of hand. Also, arrows craft in bunches of 10, so going up to quiver size 40 gives you a lot more leeway to only craft when you are down 8-10 arrows.

Also, the tripwire is cool, but its possible that big machines won't get stunned by a second wire in a row. Maybe they have a window of immunity or something? That very nearly got me killed in an early fight, as a machine I nearly finished after the first wire casually walked through my backup wire and wrecked me.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Well the story just took a turn. o_0

EDIT: And fuck this. I was playing on hard, but yea, bullet sponge enemies that do massive damage and ragdoll you all over the place are fucking ridiculous and unfun. Especially when they move as fast as some of these enemies (and there isn't a lock-on/focus).

EDIT 2: Yea this fight was fucking bad.

ED! on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Get hype, folks! :D
    uk95let2lfkc.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Well the story just took a turn. o_0

EDIT: And fuck this. I was playing on hard, but yea, bullet sponge enemies that do massive damage and ragdoll you all over the place are fucking ridiculous and unfun. Especially when they move as fast as some of these enemies (and there isn't a lock-on/focus).

EDIT 2: Yea this fight was fucking bad.

I assume you're talking about the first Corruptor fight, which I just did. And yeah, combat's kinda poop on Hard (and I imagine Very Hard).

It didn't register until I read your post that there's no lock-on, and I think that would definitely help a ton.

• Options
    I just turned it down. There's no achievement for difficulty, so I'm not going to bother with it.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    14 hours into the game, this is probably gonna take second place next to BotW for game of the year for sure.

Take your time and do the side missions. They are longer but damn they award good EXP and that's where your combat skills really come from.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    did...

did i just see a training montage??

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    So apparently this is a good-ass game you guys! Too bad I can't play 'til after the weekend :(

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    did...

did i just see a training montage??

There was indeed limit pushing. Hearts were definitely on fire and tigers had eyes.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    She's the best around. Nothing's gonna ever keep her down.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    I just turned it down. There's no achievement for difficulty, so I'm not going to bother with it.

I didn't have too much trouble on very hard. Mostly just shot the body with fire arrows, and the grenade launcher with sharpshooter arrows. It'd died before I could get any parts off.

And then right afterwards I found a merchant with a bow that can use tear arrows.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Yea I wasn't trying to dump all of my ammo and then have to farm again for supplies, especially since these prices jumped like a champion in the actual start of the true world map.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Now that I actually had an hour or so to sit down with the game, this is pretty great. I am loving these machine designs.

This discussion has been closed.