Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Well, I guess I feel better knowing I was able to do that fight without it. Granted there was a hell of a lot of bowcaster use in that fight for me.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    If I couldn't have roll before that skill I would have hated this game. Rolling is essential.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    azith28 wrote: »
    I think the skill that improves your health pouch is a bit misleading.. I took the first point which was suppose to make healing more effective or something, but when i took the second point which was only suppose to double the amount of healing the pouch can hold, i discovered it actually quadrulples the amount. when you hit the max you get a green + to show you have a full bag, and i can get a full bag and 3 green +'s if i farm enough herbs before its full.

I'm not sure if this was because the first point also gave another level to the bag (but did not mention it), and the second point then doubled that.

It's just double. You start with 2 bars. (1 +, 1 full bar)

After the skill you have 4 bars (3 +'s, and 1 full bar)

To clarify, when you fill a bar (except your last bar) it turns into a + and the bar empties again

Xaviar on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm finding the game actually pretty tough but I've been wearing the stealth armor too so maybe I should switch that up. The bigger stuff especially is surprisingly fast and lethal.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Getting some purple weapons helps a LOT. Hardpoint arrows on the hunters bow actually gives it a bit of a kick now, and with the more concentration/faster reload abilities, I can really put the hurt on a bots weak points

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Getting some purple weapons helps a LOT. Hardpoint arrows on the hunters bow actually gives it a bit of a kick now, and with the more concentration/faster reload abilities, I can really put the hurt on a bots weak points

I got the purple bow this morning right before I left for work. Are hardpoint arrows literally just better hunter arrows that have additional tear? I was looking at the stats and I didn't see any downside to using hardpoint over hunter arrows, except crafting cost.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    Dronus86 wrote: »

I got the purple bow this morning right before I left for work. Are hardpoint arrows literally just better hunter arrows that have additional tear? I was looking at the stats and I didn't see any downside to using hardpoint over hunter arrows, except crafting cost.

Pretty much, yeah. Higher impact and tear damage, and higher material cost. It's hunter arrows mk II

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So the good part of Horizon coming out this week is i have something to play with inbetween having to recharge my switch and playing zelda.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular

Pretty much, yeah. Higher impact and tear damage, and higher material cost. It's hunter arrows mk II

On the other side of the coin, I just got the purple precision bow. And I can't figure out why I would use harvest arrows over tearblast.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I can see the horizon in that screenshot, and that appears to be a non-zero amount of early morning sunshine.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Xaviar wrote: »

On the other side of the coin, I just got the purple precision bow. And I can't figure out why I would use harvest arrows over tearblast.

The parts that resource arrows blast off can be grant extra resources if using that particular arrow, so good for material farming I guess?

• Options
    I thought I read that harvest arrows increase the likelyhood of rare drops from the machine entirely.

But it was from 1 source, hardly reliable.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    How the fuck do I get this Shellback heart?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options

Kill the fuck out of some shellbacks!

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Xaviar wrote: »

Tearblast only tears off components, it will do no damage to the creature itself, unless a component getting torn off or destroyed specifically causes an explosion.

They're extremely useful, yes, but to actually damage a creature's weak points/health you still need hardpoint or standard.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Plus tearblast require some not entirely common materials

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    So i have been sitting at this part for 10 minutes. Super close to the start
    The scene where the children throw rocks at Aloy and you choose to be Confrontational / Clever / Compassionate. And i just cannot choose what to run as my first play as these kind of choices tend to be "Commit to one choice" anyone have any non-super story spoilery insight?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    The scene where the children throw rocks at Aloy and you choose to be Confrontational / Clever / Compassionate. And i just cannot choose what to run as my first play as these kind of choices tend to be "Commit to one choice" anyone have any non-super story spoilery insight?
    Just pick whatever, there's no morality meter or anything.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    I think there's some dialogue that references your choice later, but that's it.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

I've killed nine so far, not a drop in site. Tried tear arrows to rip all their armor off, nada. Knock the container off, nada. It sucks because I really want that Nora heavy armor

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options

I've killed nine so far, not a drop in site. Tried tear arrows to rip all their armor off, nada. Knock the container off, nada. It sucks because I really want that Nora heavy armor

The containers have always had junk in them, for me, now I usually end up going for the claws so they don't do that ridiculous shock nova type attack or put up their shield

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    Man, the moment you enter a boss battle (first cauldron) the camera gets really claustrophobic, you can't see where you're running or where you can dodge/run to and end up stuck on geometry. Really stressful if you're just trying to figure out what you're suppose to be doing.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Finally got to meridian, bought as many purple armors/weapons as I could.

Apparently the one skimpy outfit in the game (Carja blazon) is super resistant to fire?

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I recommend folks go to Meridian ASAP, just to have access to all the vendors and start up the Hunter's Lodge quest.

Hilariously, there's a document in the Hunter's Lodge that spoils the outcome of the Hunter's Lodge questline. I'm guessing it's supposed to spawn afterwards, but it's just hanging out.

Also, I decided to do more random adventuring and journeyed to the Great Northern Roboctopus:
    p1mfr3fbcedj.png

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    I just finished the first big fight after the proving.
    what I assume is only the first corruptor you fight. Holy crap. I seriously considered that perhaps I was just way too lame to play this game and I should just quit. I died more than once. I suck so badly at aiming. Stupid jumpy bastard. The only thing I could think to do was rope it to the ground and hit its weak spots with fire arrows. Then start again when it broke free. Was there something else I should have been doing? Took forever.

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    Fun Fact - I discovered that the game has invso-kill walls earlier. Was climbing up a large (relatively) flat mountain slope and all of a sudden I got a loading screen and it dropped me back at my last auto save.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    I just finished the first big fight after the proving.
    what I assume is only the first corruptor you fight. Holy crap. I seriously considered that perhaps I was just way too lame to play this game and I should just quit. I died more than once. I suck so badly at aiming. Stupid jumpy bastard. The only thing I could think to do was rope it to the ground and hit its weak spots with fire arrows. Then start again when it broke free. Was there something else I should have been doing? Took forever.

You eventually get tearblast arrows that can tear weapons/components off usually in one shot. Other than that, yeah, you have the right idea. The listing in your journal will outline all the weaknesses/parts of any machine you scan.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »
    Fun Fact - I discovered that the game has invso-kill walls earlier. Was climbing up a large (relatively) flat mountain slope and all of a sudden I got a loading screen and it dropped me back at my last auto save.

In my exploring of the Roboctopi, I've run into various "turn back now" territories that warn me that I will be killed and sent to my last save, which is a lame way to handle it. Witcher 3 had the decency to just teleport you to the nearest fast travel signpost.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yeah I was trying to get to... Daytower I think it's called? Took the wrong pass up the mountain and ended up being about 100 steps away but with a huge ravine in between. When I creeped to the edge to attempt to "Skyrim" my way over there, I got a warning message basically telling me don't do this.

The worst part is I turned all the way around and finally get to Daytower gate, and it seems to be locked until I complete a story event...

Zenitram on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Man, I wish these modifiers were a little more impressive. 6% tear increase... hooray.

I actually wish the combat was less stat-based in general, because having to plug even a vulnerable beastie with three or four arrows to trigger an effect isn't much fun. And I can't decide if I want aim assist on or off; with it off I can't hit the broad side of a barn, but with it on I can't tell if it's actually going for the part I thought I was aiming at.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Man, I wish these modifiers were a little more impressive. 6% tear increase... hooray.

I actually wish the combat was less stat-based in general, because having to plug even a vulnerable beastie with three or four arrows to trigger an effect isn't much fun. And I can't decide if I want aim assist on or off; with it off I can't hit the broad side of a barn, but with it on I can't tell if it's actually going for the part I thought I was aiming at.
    6% tear increase is a really low bonus. The modifiers get pretty powerful, and soon.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Holy shit guys (second region spoiler);
    You can buy hearts at Meridian. Jebus, will that save me on grinding.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

6% tear increase is a really low bonus. The modifiers get pretty powerful, and soon.

I think my bow is up to +130% Tear, or pretty close. I basically pop every attachment off a monster with the tearsplosion arrows.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    Man, the moment you enter a boss battle (first cauldron) the camera gets really claustrophobic, you can't see where you're running or where you can dodge/run to and end up stuck on geometry. Really stressful if you're just trying to figure out what you're suppose to be doing.

That took me a few attempts - lots of traps, I think, in the end, and the first time I used healing potions, as using regular healing made me too vulnerable.

• Options
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I think my bow is up to +130% Tear, or pretty close. I basically pop every attachment off a monster with the tearsplosion arrows.

Tonight I got a purple sniper bow, proceeded to kill a BIG BAD ROBOT, and dropped 2x +40% tears in it.
    Tearblast just shreds pieces off enemies. 189 tear. Hnnng.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Hey everybody. I'm trying to avoid thinking about the Switch / Zelda. Your game looks cool and I hope you are all having fun with it- if I had a PS4 I would be super into it, I bet. Shooting future arrows at robot animals is pretty rad and I am a fan.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular

Maybe I've just had bad luck, then, because the best mod I've found has been, like, three different 6% bonuses.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Maybe I've just had bad luck, then, because the best mod I've found has been, like, three different 6% bonuses.

They quickly get better, as you'd expect you'll get juicy ones from bigger prey/areas. I've got a couple of things that do +40% which are purple rarity, I'm around 23 now.

I think, if my save file is listing this as time played, I've put in about 16 hours so far. I've scoured most of the first big zone save for collectibles... this game is shockingly huge, and I actually had a bit of a culture shock upon realizing the entire world isn't tribes living behind stick-walls. I mean sure they call themselves a tribe but... c'mon! Stonework!

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Wow, that's two fun/surprising references I've found in two good games this past week. Last week I spotted a (not hard to find) Revenant spawn in Nioh named (Reboot_Rygar -- it was a dev-placed thing). This morning I just found Jazz and Jack, a pair of rabbits, hanging out near a metal flower. That got a good chuckle out of me!

• Options
    At some point, I turned a corner. I went, without really noticing, from "oh shit, that's a long legs, I'll just go around" to "that herd of tramplers and the ravager guarding them are a little close to that mug for my taste *explosions and looting*".

I killed a
    dinosaur
    , you guys. It was awesome.

My current preferred method of "stealth" killing a herd of robots is sprinting at one, Van Halen sliding at it and "silently" stabbing it to death, then repeating X-1 times, where X is the original number of robots.

This discussion has been closed.