As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Battle Over Voting Rights (also Gerrymandering)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I know that satirical links are to be avoided in political threads but I thought it worth noting that The Onion are all out of fucks to give.

I think that has to be their sharpest commentary since their interview with God.

It’s barely satire, there will be a significant number of completely avoidable deaths from the events of the day. Maybe dozens, maybe hundreds, Republican and Democrats alike will die as a direct result of today’s vote so that one Wisconsin Supreme Court justice has a slightly higher chance of winning an election he probably would have won anyway.

It boggles my mind how any citizen can respect a supreme court decision that included a person who is being voted on in the election they are ruling on

I mean, in Georgia the Governor is coincidentally the guy who was in charge of the gubernatorial elections. And he still barely won.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    I know that satirical links are to be avoided in political threads but I thought it worth noting that The Onion are all out of fucks to give.

I think that has to be their sharpest commentary since their interview with God.

It’s barely satire, there will be a significant number of completely avoidable deaths from the events of the day. Maybe dozens, maybe hundreds, Republican and Democrats alike will die as a direct result of today’s vote so that one Wisconsin Supreme Court justice has a slightly higher chance of winning an election he probably would have won anyway.

It boggles my mind how any citizen can respect a supreme court decision that included a person who is being voted on in the election they are ruling on

Pretty sure the guy getting voted on recused himself. I mean he totally would have voted if there was any doubt to the outcome, but there wasn’t so he at least appears to have done the right thing.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    So Wisconsin is basically a banana republic? Awesome.

Wisconsin was the test bed for permanent GOP takeover of a non-dark-red state. Win once, push the most extreme measures to gut the state's government and rig the elections, then coast.

• Options
    Jebus314 wrote: »

Pretty sure the guy getting voted on recused himself. I mean he totally would have voted if there was any doubt to the outcome, but there wasn’t so he at least appears to have done the right thing.

Except he's also saying once he wins the election he's going to unrecuse himself.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Except he's also saying once he wins the election he's going to unrecuse himself.

Recusal is on a case by case basis.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Also, the Decision was handed down and the election is today. There isn't anything to recuse himself from going forward.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Wisconsin was the test bed for permanent GOP takeover of a non-dark-red state. Win once, push the most extreme measures to gut the state's government and rig the elections, then coast.

Yeah that was 2010 right?

What the fuck is Wisconsin’s problem with Russ Feingold btw

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Voting rights lawyer with developments on the Florida de facto poll tax on ex-felons.

Breaking: class certification granted in the Florida fines and fees case. What does that mean? Per the Court: the relief after trial will likely be an order that the SOS "put in place a system under which felons are not precluded from voting based only on inability to pay."

& as the Court has said, since the SOS seems unwilling to create that system, he will: "The system may be one put forward by the Sec at trial or, in the absence of input from the Sec, one adopted by the court. .. t will be a system put in place for all subclass members."

In other words -- because CLC's class cert motion was granted, we will not see a repeat of the "but this order only applies to these 17 individuals" after trial.

In other words, (assuming I'm understanding it correctly), this means that the ruling will not be limited to just the 17 people bringing the case against the government.

It's progress, and I don't want to diminish it.

But until it's tried, won, appealed to Circuit, won, appealed to SCOTUS, won, sued to have it implemented because they're ratfuckers, enforced, and implemented, and these people are eligible to vote with sufficient time that they can register, I'd caution against taking a victory lap.

I was happy as fuck that Evers fought all the way to the end for the Wisconsin election, and we see how that turned out. I don't trust these assholes, and I especially don't trust that they won't run out the clock, no matter what safeguards the judiciary put in the way.

It's so fucking exhausting. But that's the point. Republican lawmakers and lobbyists win by apathy. Just being consistently fucking evil at every step, in hopes that good people just give up fighting. Time to make another donation the ACLU, I guess. Shouldn't be necessary, there should be a decertification/bias against dipshits acting consistently in bad faith.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Sports reporter with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Photo by intern Patricia McKnight

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Sports reporter with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Photo by intern Patricia McKnight

FTFY

mnikr1zzt4j6.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    I requested an absentee ballot, but since it never arrived, I went out to vote today.

My ballot then arrived this afternoon. Inside are instructions stating that it is valid as long as it is mailed by next week.

This information is no longer true, and seems like precisely the kind of voter misinformation the conservatives claim they want to avoid by limiting changes near the elections date.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Sorry, different case. That's the one for purging the voter rolls. He's saying he's gonna unrecuse himself so he can make sure them voters get purged once the election is behind him.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I wanna scream at republicans, hey conservatives can still get into power even if everyone votes! Look at Australia! Mandatory voting and we have a conservative government! I mean yeah you’ll have to shave some of the edges off, maybe not be quite as obviously self serving and corrupt wait where are you going you can still be pretty awful!

Prohass on
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Don't forget NC! The state in which Republican legislators pinky-promised to not vote on a budget bill during 9-11 commemorations and did so any way.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I wanna scream at republicans, hey conservatives can still get into power even if everyone votes! Look at Australia! Mandatory voting and we have a conservative government! I mean yeah you’ll have to shave some of the edges off, maybe not be quite as obviously self serving and corrupt wait where are you going you can still be pretty awful!

The GOP has so shat the bed with a number of demographics and age groups and built their core around racists that it's very likely that they can't win in the short term, because they lose their base with little gain if they go light on the racism, and their core isn't big enough to win on their own. And what they're afraid of is that if they lose control in the short term, the changes that would be made would show their position to be nothing but toxic lies, destroying their position in the long term.

In a very real way, they're taking Ben Franklin's adage of "we either hang together, or we will assuredly hang separately" deadly serious.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options

The GOP has so shat the bed with a number of demographics and age groups and built their core around racists that it's very likely that they can't win in the short term, because they lose their base with little gain if they go light on the racism, and their core isn't big enough to win on their own. And what they're afraid of is that if they lose control in the short term, the changes that would be made would show their position to be nothing but toxic lies, destroying their position in the long term.

In a very real way, they're taking Ben Franklin's adage of "we either hang together, or we will assuredly hang separately" deadly serious.

Also the GOP are not actually conservative. The foundations of their party are virulent racism and greed. Fear, hatred, ignorance, and lies are the motivators for their base. This has led everyone who is not that to turn to the Dem party. This includes lots of people with a broad spectrum of conservative beliefs. I think there is plenty there for a moral conservative party.

• Options

Fundamentally the GOP has traded in on their in-built structural advantages in order to advance a pretty unpopular agenda. They can't give up that advantage and still win without abandoning their ideological positions. Especially those held by the money-men who back the GOP. So instead they are trying to rig the system even more.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

Fundamentally the GOP has traded in on their in-built structural advantages in order to advance a pretty unpopular agenda. They can't give up that advantage and still win without abandoning their ideological positions. Especially those held by the money-men who back the GOP. So instead they are trying to rig the system even more.

As they get smaller, there are less people willing to check the limits of what they’ll do to maintain power, and as they get smaller, the actions needed to maintain power get more extreme

It’s exponential movement toward the singularity of evil ballsacks

Meanwhile “everyone else” is a giant tent party that was prone to eating its own even before getting all the conservative castaways

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I dropped my ballot off in person because I received it in time to fill it out, but not in time to mail it (the information that came with it says it must be received by the clerk by 8 pm today, not postmarked; I don't know if that's still accurate but I don't trust those fuckers not to just, like, not open the mail). I didn't actually go into the room with the booths, but it looked like they were keeping people as spread out as possible.

It was not busy. I honestly don't know whether that's good or bad.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    I dropped my ballot off in person because I received it in time to fill it out, but not in time to mail it (the information that came with it says it must be received by the clerk by 8 pm today, not postmarked; I don't know if that's still accurate but I don't trust those fuckers not to just, like, not open the mail). I didn't actually go into the room with the booths, but it looked like they were keeping people as spread out as possible.

Given the polling station closures/consolidations that were being reported, that's probably a bad thing.

It's hard not to get nihilistic, given the level to which Republicans not just engage in, but are so consistently rewarded by, this ratfuckery.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

We'll find out on the 13th when the results get released. It'll also probably be enough time to see if it did actually cause a spike in plague cases. So that'll be a fun day.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    If we continue to abide by any rules that the GOP sets forth we are condoning and rewarding their behavior. One side is openly - OPENLY - cheating, and we... are just going to go along with whatever their cheating results in?

Seriously, what fucking legitimacy do they have at all? What right do they have to be in any of the positions they are in? Why can't we just set our own rules like they're doing and disqualify Daniel Kelly from the race?

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    What legal recourse is there for Wisconsinites who feel their election is compromised enough that the results are illegitimate?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

It's hard not to get nihilistic, given the level to which Republicans not just engage in, but are so consistently rewarded by, this ratfuckery.

It's the Democrats' fault for not being inspiring enough. They take our votes for granted![/sarcasm]

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    What legal recourse is there for Wisconsinites who feel their election is compromised enough that the results are illegitimate?

Convince your fellow citizens you are correct and either Recall the offenders, or vote them out next election.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    MorganV wrote: »

It's the Democrats' fault for not being inspiring enough. They take our votes for granted![/sarcasm]

I have already seen a ton of people blaming the DNC and claiming they supported this.

You know, despite the DNC repeatedly saying how they didn't support what the Republican Party was doing to make the elections not safe and pushing for expanding mail in voting and not disenfranchising people. Something, something, both sides are the same.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Convince your fellow citizens you are correct and either Recall the offenders, or vote them out next election.

I could convince a decent majority of Wisconsinites to do that and the GOP could still win very solid a majority of the legislator

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

I could convince a decent majority of Wisconsinites to do that and the GOP could still win very solid a majority of the legislator

I mean, you already did.

• Options
    edited April 2020

Welcome to why american style democracy fails every other place it has been tried. Once one side decides to no longer act in good faith, and they aren't punished immediately at the polls, the countdown timer starts.

I guess we could hope Evers fires the legislature and and supreme court and writes his own laws, but that doesnt sound like it would go over too well.

Edit: I am hoping that this has been a wake up call to Wisconsinites and that every Republicans is voted out in November. If not, well, we are well and truly fucked and it'll be time to pack up and head somewhere civilized.

Veevee on
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Yeah, or it could be that "rugged individualist" thing that we "live and die" by is so much bullshit.

• Options
    MosatiMosati Registered User regular

Welcome to why american style democracy fails every other place it has been tried. Once one side decides to no longer act in good faith, and they aren't punished immediately at the polls, the countdown timer starts.

I guess we could hope Evers fires the legislature and and supreme court and writes his own laws, but that doesnt sound like it would go over too well.

Edit: I am hoping that this has been a wake up call to Wisconsinites and that every Republicans is voted out in November. If not, well, we are well and truly fucked and it'll be time to pack up and head somewhere civilized.

I half agree but I'd attribute it to the effectiveness of state propaganda, that shit really does work.

• Options
    Mosati wrote: »

I half agree but I'd attribute it to the effectiveness of state propaganda, that shit really does work.

I consider that part of one side of the argument no longer acting in good faith.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    e: Completely wrong thread

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    If we continue to abide by any rules that the GOP sets forth we are condoning and rewarding their behavior. One side is openly - OPENLY - cheating, and we... are just going to go along with whatever their cheating results in?

Seriously, what fucking legitimacy do they have at all? What right do they have to be in any of the positions they are in? Why can't we just set our own rules like they're doing and disqualify Daniel Kelly from the race?

How?

If an individual persists in flaunting the law, the state has the option to physically force them to stop.

When an entire political party does it...?

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    What is unique about the Wisconsin situation that SCOTUS shut it down (other than the literal/procedural answer that the lower courts elevated it to SCOTUS)?

Why was this an issue in Wisconsin but not any of the numerous other states that have postponed their primaries? Does this decision potentially impact any other states with delays?

Edit: I know they had a WI supreme court seat on the ballot too, as a motive for fuckery, but I guess what I'm asking is: is there even any fig leaf to justify this, or is it literally just, "Wisconsin has to vote during the pandemic because it'll probably win us that supreme court seat. Ohio and Georgia can delay or whatever because there's no races we care about there."

Taximes on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    This shit in Wisconsin could potential backfire on the GOP in a few ways and there is two ways where it will definitely backfire.

-Motivated voters are the ones mostly likely to show up to vote, when you make conditions harder. Given past elections in the last few years, democrats are plenty motivated to kick republican rat fuckers out of office. Likewise, since a ton of smug asshole republicans and republican sympathizers feeling that their side has one, so harder conditions to vote may make they decide to stay home because they are winning and if they aren't motivated to vote, surely the liberals aren't either. In short, the GOP might have fucked themselves here if democratic voters are still just as motivated to turn out or even more motivated, while their voters might be less motivated.

-At this point, save for the true believers. Everyone knows how bad this shit is at this point and the gop is pretty much forcing many of those persuadable voters to take an unnecessary risk to vote if they feel they should do so. So this means, they might have cause some voters that were on the face, to now want to vote very strongly against the GOP for dicking them over.

Then there are the two ways that this will probably fuck the GOP.

-They build their party around self-entitled racists and bigots. They also have a greater share of the old population, which are most at risk to covid. Sure covid can and has killed young people, but statically it kills more older people. So they are putting a chunk of their base that they do need short term at risk. They also show a huge misunderstanding of how viruses work, if this shit were exploitable as a weapon in the way think they can exploit it, it would never have left China or the province it originated in, let along gotten to buttfuck nowhere republican country. What they'll see is that it'll spike in the cities first and then spike in their rural enclaves because their base does actually get a fair bit of exposure to people that live in cities.

-This leads us to the next blowback because covid numbers will spike and the data will show that it was a result of republicans being shitheads about the election. They'll eat the blame and this is one of those cases where time may not make people forget whose fault it was. After all when granny dies to covid19, that could very well turn the soft "always-votes republican because that's how the family always voted" voter into a very fuck the GOP voter.

GOP probably made a very piss poor gamble here. At best, it might let them gain a tiny bit more power, but they'll pay a steep price for with loss of voters and further poisoning their name brand. At worst, they end up helping democratic discontent and motivation kneecap them harder than it otherwise would, while stilling paying that price. I'm hoping at the very least, they get the two iffy backfires because the shitty party should be strongly adverse to pulling this shit, which means the trick needs to backfire on them a the ballot box immediately. That way, other republicans in other states decide to not follow through.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »
    This shit in Wisconsin could potential backfire on the GOP in a few ways and there is two ways where it will definitely backfire.

-Motivated voters are the ones mostly likely to show up to vote, when you make conditions harder. Given past elections in the last few years, democrats are plenty motivated to kick republican rat fuckers out of office. Likewise, since a ton of smug asshole republicans and republican sympathizers feeling that their side has one, so harder conditions to vote may make they decide to stay home because they are winning and if they aren't motivated to vote, surely the liberals aren't either. In short, the GOP might have fucked themselves here if democratic voters are still just as motivated to turn out or even more motivated, while their voters might be less motivated.

-At this point, save for the true believers. Everyone knows how bad this shit is at this point and the gop is pretty much forcing many of those persuadable voters to take an unnecessary risk to vote if they feel they should do so. So this means, they might have cause some voters that were on the face, to now want to vote very strongly against the GOP for dicking them over.

-They build their party around self-entitled racists and bigots. They also have a greater share of the old population, which are most at risk to covid. Sure covid can and has killed young people, but statically it kills more older people. So they are putting a chunk of their base that they do need short term at risk. They also show a huge misunderstanding of how viruses work, if this shit were exploitable as a weapon in the way think they can exploit it, it would never have left China or the province it originated in, let along gotten to buttfuck nowhere republican country. What they'll see is that it'll spike in the cities first and then spike in their rural enclaves because their base does actually get a fair bit of exposure to people that live in cities.

-This leads us to the next blowback because covid numbers will spike and the data will show that it was a result of republicans being shitheads about the election. They'll eat the blame and this is one of those cases where time may not make people forget whose fault it was. After all when granny dies to covid19, that could very well turn the soft "always-votes republican because that's how the family always voted" voter into a very fuck the GOP voter.

GOP probably made a very piss poor gamble here. At best, it might let them gain a tiny bit more power, but they'll pay a steep price for with loss of voters and further poisoning their name brand. At worst, they end up helping democratic discontent and motivation kneecap them harder than it otherwise would, while stilling paying that price. I'm hoping at the very least, they get the two iffy backfires because the shitty party should be strongly adverse to pulling this shit, which means the trick needs to backfire on them a the ballot box immediately. That way, other republicans in other states decide to not follow through.

Their endgame is to make elections irrelevant.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    They'll find that won't work out well for them at all. Dumb fucks really should get the fuck out of their bubble and read up on history because most of the shit stains like them in the past usually got burned pretty badly; especially, when the economy goes to shit and they manage to piss off the active duty military.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »

They may have already fucked themselves in the short term, too.

Anyone who looks at Wisconsin, and doesn't see it for the shitshow it is, has already bought in to "Republicans are the only legitimate party" philosophy. Everyone else will see it as an affront to democracy and the ideals the nation was founded on (at least according to how they were brought up, America, home of democracy, not America by and for white landowners).

Which will make it more difficult for Republicans at the Federal level to argue that there's no need to protect the elections in November, everything will be fine, nothing to see here.

Basically, the Wisconsin Republican Party just showed the RNC's hand. As did Trump with his "Republicans would never get elected again", but that could be dismissed as Trump being a twat, again. That without mail-in ballots, and other protections (both health of voters, and franchisement of voters), that the November elections could be compromised.

That's not to say that the federal Republicans (or certain states) won't still fuck things up. They will continue to, no doubt. But their one real defense would have been "The Democrats are overreacting, our democracy isn't that fragile" has been clearly exposed as a lie by what's happened in Wisconsin.

Whether that'll be enough, I don't know.

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    The Republican majority's decree is the sort of naked tyranny we expect from the party that appointed a known rapist to the highest court in the land.

They remain committed to the destruction of the civil order that keeps them alive because they believe that the force they can bring to bear is greater than the benefits that civil society brings them.

They are doing this solely to own the libs.

This discussion has been closed.