As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Battle Over Voting Rights (also Gerrymandering)

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    THAC0 wrote: »
    Oh I have no doubt. I know nothing about the local situation, I'm about as far away on earth as you can be from there. The language just struck me as a sort of "no free rides, period" sort of deal

Its original intent was to suppress the black church vote, but it’s vague enough that you could easily apply it as broadly or narrowly as needed to lower Dem turnout while boosting GOP turnout.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    It also feels like, on top of being very shitty, it would be hard to enforce and politically poison to do so? For the second part, videos of them telling a bunch of older folk that no, they can't vote because they rode a big ole bus and trying to arrest them for it would backfire quite badly? Especially if it comes up during say a primary or some such before the general election.

As well, the no carpooling to vote seems like it wouldn't be too hard to get around, and hard to prove intent. Like, the churches could find out whoever lives closest to the polling station in their congregation, have them host a "potluck" where everyone gets together for the day to eat, play games, read scripture, etc. and actually do that, but also allow people to go "throughout the day" to vote. Insert a church if it a church is closer, or a meeting hall (moose lodge, activity center, etc.) if it is closer. And with actual activities going on, it would be much harder to enforce the law that they were carpooling to the polling place, when they weren't.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I thought the buses also existed because polling places were specifically placed far away from black and democratic areas without good public bus service. Like they were a response to older voter supression methods.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's all coupled with making polling locations as far and inconvenient as possible, so there's often not going to be a good rallying point like that.

Also they won't be wasting enforcement on a primary in most cases, it's far more valuable to suppress dem voters in a general.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    It also feels like, on top of being very shitty, it would be hard to enforce and politically poison to do so? For the second part, videos of them telling a bunch of older folk that no, they can't vote because they rode a big ole bus and trying to arrest them for it would backfire quite badly? Especially if it comes up during say a primary or some such before the general election.

If the vote suppression wins them elections, all they have to do is say "yeah, and whatcha gonna do about it?" while high-fiving the judges who'll be overseeing complaints about it after themselves getting elected through the same process.

The entire point of voter suppression is that they're interested in the power, not how it looks.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I thought the buses also existed because polling places were specifically placed far away from black and democratic areas without good public bus service. Like they were a response to older voter supression methods.

Yeah the whole reason black churches hire buses to get their congregation to polling places is cause they won't make the church a polling place.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Yeah the whole reason black churches hire buses to get their congregation to polling places is cause they won't make the church a polling place.

Even though toooooooooooooons of white churches are polling places (at least in Florida)

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Even though toooooooooooooons of white churches are polling places (at least in Florida)

Shit, I JUST voted at one an hour ago.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Funny, that.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I like Virginia's "your polling location is whatever elementary school covers your house, also schools are closed."

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I like Virginia's "your polling location is whatever elementary school covers your house, also schools are closed."

I like Washington's mail-in ballots even better, although I do sort of miss the ritual of going to the polls.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »

I like Washington's mail-in ballots even better, although I do sort of miss the ritual of going to the polls.

My only real complaint about Illinois is that we don't have permanent absentee and I have to request it every election.

Also, Chicago elections not being the same day as State/ Federal.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »

Do both! I always drop my mail in ballot at my poling location because I get to double up on I Voted stickers that way.

Also I have some weird fear about actually mailing the ballots, but its mostly the second sticker.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Filed under "duh", Super Tuesday states that ditched caucuses saw increased primary turnout:
    Between 2016 and 2020, Maine, Minnesota, Colorado, and Utah all switched from caucuses, in which people meet and debate before publicly aligning themselves in groups with the candidate they support, to primary elections, in which people simply vote in private as they do in general elections.

In all four caucus-ditching states, turnout surged dramatically from 2016 to 2020:

In Colorado, turnout more than sextupled from around 122,000 in 2016, with all votes counted, to more than 755,000 in 2020, with nearly 99 percent of precincts reporting.
    In Maine, turnout more than quadrupled from nearly 47,000, based on an estimate from Democratic officials, to more than 194,000, with 90 percent of precincts reporting.
    In Minnesota, turnout nearly quadrupled from more than 205,000, with all votes counted, to more than 745,000, with more than 99 percent of precincts reporting.
    In Utah, turnout more than doubled from more than 77,000, with all votes counted, to nearly 175,000, with 99 percent of precincts reporting.

Fuck caucuses.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

That's basically how it's worked in every election I've ever voted in. Basically every school ends up converted into a polling place, which covers stuff pretty well. Local libraries in the cities too.

• Options
    And Hillary Clinton calls the lines to vote what they are:

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular

My trans ass had to go into a Southern Baptist church to vote yesterday. I went in boy mode because I don't have my info updated yet, plus we're a voter ID state, so that was a pretty great time.

My compromise was wearing a t-shirt adorned with the rainbow logo of the local LGBTQIA+ advocacy group and just smiled at all the people who gave me looks.

On the plus side, there was zero line for me to actually cast my ballot, while the Republican table line was backed up out the door. I was in and out in 5 minutes.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options

My trans ass had to go into a Southern Baptist church to vote yesterday. I went in boy mode because I don't have my info updated yet, plus we're a voter ID state, so that was a pretty great time.

My compromise was wearing a t-shirt adorned with the rainbow logo of the local LGBTQIA+ advocacy group and just smiled at all the people who gave me looks.

On the plus side, there was zero line for me to actually cast my ballot, while the Republican table line was backed up out the door. I was in and out in 5 minutes.

Churches are horrible polling locations, due to priming issues.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Trumbull CT had their polling places in the public elementary schools. granted if there was a church with an on site school with space for polling (like the gym) then fine, but the church itself? no beuno

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Churches are horrible polling locations, due to priming issues.

Yet another point in favor of vote by mail :D

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Prior to going to vote by mail, my polling stations in CA were always at firehouses or at retirement homes. Neither of which particularly bothered me.

My most convenient ballot drop-off location is still a retirement home. Go fig :V

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Prior to going to vote by mail, my polling stations in CA were always at firehouses or at retirement homes. Neither of which particularly bothered me.

My most convenient ballot drop-off location is still a retirement home. Go fig :V

Old people have free time to go complain at public meetings. And they are the highest turnout demographic, so politicians have to care.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So, there's some crazy shit going on in Georgia.

The Georgia Supreme Court already has some SUPREME bullshit going on where they basically run a shell game with the governor. Justices resign in November, well off from an election, so the governor gets to appoint the replacement. The replacement finishes the previous one's term, and is then the de facto incumbent, and incumbents have MASSIVE electoral advantages, and basically circumvent having actual elections.

That's been going on for quite a while. What happened recently is that Blackwell, a Supreme judge, is on Trump's list of "awesome judges I want to appoint to things." Except he can't because he has to stick in his role, and has to stay there until November if he wants his pension. So what he did was announce that he would be resigning in November. That way, he gets his pension, and frees himself up for whatever Trump wants to appoint him to, and Kemp gets to appoint a replacement for him with all the benefits. Right?

No. He fucked up. Because he declared it so early, an election can be held to fill his seat. And an election was scheduled for May 19th. WAS scheduled. A week ago, Kemp canceled it, saying that the seat's not empty, and won't be empty until November, so fuck you, he gets to appoint the replacement whenever he gets around to it. Note that both the Republican and the Democrat who were planning to run are pissed off about this and have sued to force the election, but it seems pretty fucked with coronavirus piling on.
    https://thesupremecourts.org/2020/03/10/1110/
    https://www.ajc.com/news/local/opinion-kemp-and-company-rigging-the-judicial-system-objection/KOLUX4KKLSkP8ACAKcQcOM/

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's a lot of focus on the multitude of shitheads in federal races, but it shouldn't be understated just how contemptible Kemp is.

Though, any system that allows an elected official to adjudicate their own election, is umpteen kinds of fucked up.

• Options

Getting too brazen even for some Republicans.

This is for the primary, but guarantee this is their playbook for November.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Getting too brazen even for some Republicans.

This is for the primary, but guarantee this is their playbook for November.

I just thought he had a fear of public speaking. Sounded a bit better than me when I try to speak in public.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Everything I'm seeing from residents of Maricopa County is that Scott Jarrett is not a nervous public speaker, and has put his voice on some shitty stuff. However, he'd supposedly been awake for 48 hours trying to EDIT: I actually misread, he and his boss (Adrian Fontes) were up for 48 hours trying to GET automatic absentee voting and were stopped by Republican Mark Brnovich. They lost that fight and on top of that had to announce that on top of the last four years of voting location cuts that now *even more* locations would be closed on short notice before the election.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2020/03/13/maricopa-county-elections-director-making-up-his-own-election-law/5046901002/

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    Everything I'm seeing from residents of Maricopa County is that Scott Jarrett is not a nervous public speaker, and has put his voice on some shitty stuff. However, he'd supposedly been awake for 48 hours trying to EDIT: I actually misread, he and his boss (Adrian Fontes) were up for 48 hours trying to GET automatic absentee voting and were stopped by Republican Mark Brnovich. They lost that fight and on top of that had to announce that on top of the last four years of voting location cuts that now *even more* locations would be closed on short notice before the election.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/laurieroberts/2020/03/13/maricopa-county-elections-director-making-up-his-own-election-law/5046901002/

Well that sucks :< I wonder if there's like, a minimum number of voting locations before a conservative court would step in. 1 location?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Copied/moved from the coronavirus thread:
    Trump says the quiet part loud, again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/30/trump-voting-republicans/
    President Trump on Monday morning became the latest in a procession of Republicans to say making it easier for more people to vote would hurt his party politically.

In an interview on “Fox & Friends,” Trump referenced proposals from Democrats in the coronavirus stimulus negotiations that would have vastly increased funding for absentee and vote-by-mail options. The final package included $400 million for the effort, which was far less than what Democrats had sought.

“The things they had in there were crazy,” Trump said. “They had things — levels of voting that, if you ever agreed to it, you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again.”

They're not even trying to hide it anymore.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Some good news out of Florida. The law passed which created a poll tax for ex-felons has been blocked in federal court.

Per Law & Crime
    A federal court struck down a Florida law which denied individuals with prior felony convictions the right to vote if they could not afford to pay certain fees and fines. Tuesday’s decision will restore the right to vote for some 1.4 million Floridians who would have otherwise been eligible to vote but for the law making that right contingent upon their ability to pay off outstanding fines, fees and restitution.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Some good news out of Florida. The law passed which created a poll tax for ex-felons has been blocked in federal court.

Per Law & Crime
    A federal court struck down a Florida law which denied individuals with prior felony convictions the right to vote if they could not afford to pay certain fees and fines. Tuesday’s decision will restore the right to vote for some 1.4 million Floridians who would have otherwise been eligible to vote but for the law making that right contingent upon their ability to pay off outstanding fines, fees and restitution.

Are they going to follow it, or are they going to appeal, and then when it's too late to implement it before November, claim they just don't have time?

Cause that's what I'm expecting. Hoping to be wrong.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

Per Law & Crime

Are they going to follow it, or are they going to appeal, and then when it's too late to implement it before November, claim they just don't have time?

Cause that's what I'm expecting. Hoping to be wrong.

The article covered that.
    That law, SB 7066, is now enjoined and cannot take effect. The state defendants seeking to enforce SB 7066 only have recourse to the Supreme Court–which is unlikely to take up their case during the present term; meaning that the ruling probably won’t be overturned or even considered before the 2020 general election.

So it sounds to me that they have to follow it. But given how this is the GOP we're talking about there might be those who simply ignore it. However, that is just as likely backfire on them as it is to work. Probably more likely to backfire considering that in the more rural areas, where it is easier to suppress and ignore the ruling, is where their base is. I honestly don't see where anyone thought this was a good move to be against but then I think.

How hard is "Do popular things, don't do unpopular things"?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’s really a thing that the motherfucking gerrymandering thread is about to roll over huh

Jesus fucking Christ

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It’s really a thing that the motherfucking gerrymandering thread is about to roll over huh

Jesus fucking Christ

Learned helplessness is a helluva drug.

• Options

But that would mean giving up all the power they've cheated, stolen and even killed to acquire!

• Options

But that would mean giving up all the power they've cheated, stolen and even killed to acquire!

That's where I'd sit the person down and try desperately to explain that if they win through legal means then no one can take the power they accrue away in the first place.

See? I'm a silly man who wants the world to work as best it can for everyone and not just myself. Because when the world isn't working for other people, I see that as a bad thing. Personally bad as then other people then might have a desire to hurt me because of it. So, in thinking it through, other people not hurting means I live in a safer society. Again, this isn't a hard concept to grasp. I don't know why it's so hard for some to not get it.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    But see, the things they want aren't actually very popular. So if they don't cheat they can't do the things they want with all their power.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The GOP is and has been for a long time now the party of maintaining all the things that let the people who’ve had power keep and grow it

This political group always exists everywhere at every time

• Options

That's where I'd sit the person down and try desperately to explain that if they win through legal means then no one can take the power they accrue away in the first place.

See? I'm a silly man who wants the world to work as best it can for everyone and not just myself. Because when the world isn't working for other people, I see that as a bad thing. Personally bad as then other people then might have a desire to hurt me because of it. So, in thinking it through, other people not hurting means I live in a safer society. Again, this isn't a hard concept to grasp. I don't know why it's so hard for some to not get it.

I read about a guy who talked about a lot of the same things. They nailed him to a tree for it.

The really weird thing is, a lot of these same people claim to be fans and followers of that guy, even though they don't do any of that stuff!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

Doing this in the middle of a pandemic seems like an amazingly well thought-out idea.

Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.