As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Battle Over Voting Rights (also Gerrymandering)

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

Doing this in the middle of a pandemic seems like an amazingly well thought-out idea.

I guess the Gov is trying to get the legislature to fix their shit, but ... we'll see how that goes.

(Natasha works for Politico)

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The governor is a Democrat. The legislature is Republican (and heavily gerrymandered).

That's literally all you need to know to understand how this is playing out.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Well Evers appears to have screwed the pooch on this by waiting this long. The state dem party has been barking at him for weeks to do this.

Dog metaphor.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's good or bad that we've reached the point where they're admitting, out loud, that they can't get elected fairly.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's good or bad that we've reached the point where they're admitting, out loud, that they can't get elected fairly.

I'm going to go with bad.

Especially since this has been true for at least 20 years.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Well we’ve come back to the point

It’s just openly pining for Jim Crow but just slightly less foul language

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

When they no longer feel like they need to hide it...yeah, that's bad.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

This isn't the first time they've said this part out loud, though.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

I see that as a sign of desperation. An attempt to bring support out from under whatever rock they've been hiding under for the past fifty/sixty years. Trump has emboldened them, in no small part, in ditching the dog-whistles and stating outright his bigotry and ignorance. Those still manipulating things behind the scenes know how drastic the generational change is going to be not just from Boomer to GenX but also from GenX to Y to (what I'm calling the actual) Millennials -- you know kids born after 2001 who are fucking 19 this year! Seriously. Talk about fucking the farmers daughter, these jackholes in the GOP have essentially blown whatever rancid load they had right in front of a generation that is the most diverse, most inclusive, and least white. What a great impression to make there, Great-Grandpa! Nice bed shitting. And you have the gall to tell everyone it doesn't stink?!

*sigh* I'll turn the bitter GenX-er routine down.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Millenial means you came into adulthood at the turn of the millenium, not because you were a kid during that time period.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I thought it generally was from those who turned 18 at the turn of the millennium to those born at the turn.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/04/03/trump-2020-election-legal-battle-coronavirus-162152
    President Donald Trump’s political operation is launching a multimillion-dollar legal campaign aimed at blocking Democrats from drastically changing voting rules in response to the coronavirus outbreak.

In the past several weeks, the reelection campaign and the Republican National Committee have helped to oversee maneuvering in a handful of battleground states with an eye toward stopping some Democratic efforts to alter voting laws, and to bolster Trump. The mobilization is being closely coordinated with Republicans at the state and local levels.

The Trump campaign and RNC are actively engaged in litigation in Wisconsin, where the parties are at loggerheads over an array of issues including voter identification, and in New Mexico, where the battle involves vote-by-mail. The skirmishing has also spread across key states like Pennsylvania and Georgia, where the well-organized Trump apparatus has fought over changes that could sway the outcome of the election.

The enterprise — which includes more than two dozen GOP officials, including lawyers dedicated entirely to litigation — shows how completely the pandemic has upended the 2020 election. While litigation over voting issues is not uncommon, the coronavirus — and the likely obstacles it will create for voting in November — has brought the issue to the forefront of the campaign.
    Federal funding to help states ease voting barriers in response to coronavirus is just one front in the battle. Trump's political apparatus is taking a state-by-state approach.

In Pennsylvania, where Democrats proposed an entirely vote-by-mail system, Trump advisers worked with the Republican-controlled Legislature to push through more circumscribed rules. They include a limited expansion of absentee voting and changes to the handling and counting of those ballots.

In Georgia, some officials are recommending sending everyone a ballot, also a no-go for Trump's team. The president’s advisers instead advocated mailing people applications they would need to fill out and return in order to receive a ballot. The idea was approved by Georgia’s Democratic Party and Republican secretary of state.

Republicans see an advantage in the change in Georgia. They say they will be able to use their financial advantage over Democrats to reach their Georgia supporters to ensure they're returning ballot request forms.
    In some instances, the RNC is providing financing for state parties to help with lawsuits.

“Democrats know they cannot beat President Trump at the ballot box, so they are trying to use the courts to beat him,” said RNC chief of staff Richard Walters. “We are going to use the full resources of the RNC to stop them.”
    If you told me a few years ago Republicans would be suing to make voting by mail harder during a pandemic that makes it vastly safer to vote by mail than going to the polls, I would 100% believe you because of course they would

Couscous on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    I thought it generally was from those who turned 18 at the turn of the millennium to those born at the turn.

It seems to have coalesced into 1980-1994 as the border dates. Which also means Gen Z is over and there's a new generation of toddlers without a name yet since 'generational' cohorts are typically 15-20 year spans.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

It seems to have coalesced into 1980-1994 as the border dates. Which also means Gen Z is over and there's a new generation of toddlers without a name yet since 'generational' cohorts are typically 15-20 year spans.

I thought it meant "the generation which is 10 years younger than me and makes me realize I'm no longer with it"

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Corona Kids

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    Generational hard dates are stupid and often invalid. It's more useful to point to a person's life experiences during time periods.

• Options
    Einzel wrote: »
    Generational hard dates are stupid and often invalid. It's more useful to point to a person's life experiences during time periods.

Most things are stupid and arbitrary, but for the context of what those words are used for, those are basically the dates +/- a couple years. Because yeah, for the most part people only really have much in common with someone maybe 4 years on either side of them. Much past that and the overlap during formative years just isn't there. And even there you're making a lot of assumptions.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

The millennial range is particularly stupid. The upper half of it grew up with rotary phones and duck and cover drills, the lower half with flip phones and Myspace. We adopted the internet, they were born in it. I prefer the late 90s names of Digital Migrant and Digital Native. Those were narrow ranges and ate several years into both X and Y, but they created a more unified cultural experience closer to previous (and subsequent) generations than the 80-94 range does.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

The millennial range is particularly stupid. The upper half of it grew up with rotary phones and duck and cover drills, the lower half with flip phones and Myspace. We adopted the internet, they were born in it. I prefer the late 90s names of Digital Migrant and Digital Native. Those were narrow ranges and ate several years into both X and Y, but they created a more unified cultural experience closer to previous (and subsequent) generations than the 80-94 range does.

My grandpa had a rotary phone in the basement, so I definitely knew what it was and had exposure to it sorta as a novelty, but touch tone phones were a thing since the 60's. The idea that they were as widespread in the 80's as cell phones in the early aughts is...not really accurate.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    And my parents had a rotary wall phone, but that was the 70s, and we'd moved to touch tone by the 80s, so.

Also, we didn't have duck and cover drills. Those actually kind of made sense back at the turn of the 60s - back when both sides had only a few dozen bombs, that would be delivered on bombers, and an all-out war would have meant losing a few big cities, a dirtier version of the London Blitz - not so much by the 80s, when every town had an ICBM aimed at it and we were looking at situations like The Day After. Those old Civil Defense films were the subject of black humor by the time I was a kid. Nothing was gonna save us.

(GenX here, if you hadn't figured it out.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    We had a rotary phone into the mid-80s, but it was also a decorative style phone. My grandmother had them nearly until the 90s. Both we and my grandmother had a touch-tone phone in the kitchen by that time, though, since so many of the automated calling things were switching to touch-tone. Definitely didn't do duck-and-cover. Also GenX. What was unusual in my childhood was a cordless phone. My best friend had one in her house--the kind with the long collapsable antenna. I was so jealous. Anyway.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I remember that probably until like 1990, we had a touch tone phone but had to use it in the rotary emulating clicky mode because it was slightly cheaper to not have touch tone service.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I had a rotary phone growing up

I discovered the internet at ~16

And I’m a millennial I guess

• Options
    David WalgasDavid Walgas Registered User regular
    My brother’s a millennial. He grew up with a party line and a rotary phone moving to a touch tone when I was a toddler. I’m a millennial, and I’ve had a cell phone since I was 12. Maybe it’s garbage distinction thanks to the higher rate of change compared to early eras.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    So, with Wisconsin Republicans functionally telling Democratic primary voters to choose between an election and a pandemic, democracy has further eroded

What's the point of trying to fight fair anymore? Protecting ideals is great and noble but when democratic ideals can only be upheld by both sides in a two-party system, all we're doing is being the mark in a con job

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    What's the point of trying to fight fair anymore?

There isn't, anymore. Play to win. No doubt we'll have to be dirty about it, but that's now a given.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Because playing dirty will drive people from voting for Democrats. If a democratic candidate proposed a measure limiting the vote of republicans, effectively what you are asking for, I would not vote for them.

And I say that as a person who's grandparents may have just been killed by republicans because they refuse to not vote, and there were issues with them receiving their absentee ballot.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    *Any* actual measure of justice would limit the vote of Republicans, because they are being over-represented through gerrymandering, judicial candidate gamesmanship, the entire concept of the Senate, the way voter registration is set up through states, the list goes on and on...

It's just that if we keep trying to uphold our currently implemented democratic structures, we'll see it completely dismantled.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Because playing dirty will drive people from voting for Democrats. If a democratic candidate proposed a measure limiting the vote of republicans, effectively what you are asking for, I would not vote for them.

And I say that as a person who's grandparents may have just been killed by republicans because they refuse to not vote, and there were issues with them receiving their absentee ballot.

Quote my Republican friend: "It's all partisan politics. Both the left and the right do it. Good thing it's easy to absentee vote."

Ugh.

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Quote my Republican friend: "It's all partisan politics. Both the left and the right do it. Good thing it's easy to absentee vote."

Ugh.

For some people. Many of whom probably aren't even aware of how hard their "team" has worked to make it not easy for the others.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It’s coming to a head this year with the virus. If one party is saying go to the polls you won’t get sick! and refusing any measures which would make voting safer, and the other is saying stay home it’s dangerous. The one encouraging turnout will win, and kill many of its voters, but only after they’ve voted

Really this November will basically decide the legitimacy of US democracy. If nothing is done to make voting easier and safer beforehand, then it’s functionally an illegitimate election even by the horrible standards that have been set thus far.

We’re heading for a potential disaster and I don’t see the urgency right now from democrats needed to fix it. Saying nothing of the pure fucking evil of republicans in making it worse

• Options

Democrats value fairness and have the courage of their convictions.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I need a better analogy than Starks and Lannisters but I’m struggling at the moment

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I need a better analogy than Starks and Lannisters but I’m struggling at the moment
    Harlem Globetrotters and Washington Generals.

• Options
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Harlem Globetrotters and Washington Generals.

When was the last time the Washington Generals had a blowout 60-40 win? Because for Democrats it was a just over a decade ago.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Just found out that my grandparents city, a suburb of Madison and very left leaning, has a single poll for the 20k population.

People will die from this

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    The best (worst) description i have heard is that the coronavirus is the Reichstag fire for American democracy.

I am mourning SCOTUS' decision. It's been a pretty relentless death march of dark days for voting rights since 2010. I don't see a way out of the spiral.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    The best (worst) description i have heard is that the coronavirus is the Reichstag fire for American democracy.

I am mourning SCOTUS' decision. It's been a pretty relentless death march of dark days for voting rights since 2010. I don't see a way out of the spiral.

Wisconsin has been fucked for quite awhile now sadly. This is just the latest stark example of that.

The GOP in general is really ramping up it's rhetoric on openly saying they can't allow increased voter access because it would be bad for them electorally in response to the increased calls for vote-by-mail the current pandemic is generating.

And hell, Trump just said this shit today:

Daniel Dale reports on Trump's bullshit for CNN

They just ain't even pretending anymore right now because they are so terrified of vote-by-mail becoming a thing.

• Options

The U.S. Supreme Court hasn't held an oral argument since February, has closed the building to the public, is turning away hand-filings, and is giving people extra time to file. Because of COVID-19. But public in person voting with insufficient poll volunteers? Full steam ahead.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

The U.S. Supreme Court hasn't held an oral argument since February, has closed the building to the public, is turning away hand-filings, and is giving people extra time to file. Because of COVID-19. But public in person voting with insufficient poll volunteers? Full steam ahead.

the cynicism is just painful. The basis for the decision is paper thin. RBG takes it apart handily. But this is the fucking playbook for every single power grab going forward. At this point I wonder if voting rights advocates should just stop filing lawsuits in federal court. Only bad law is laid here now.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
This discussion has been closed.