Options

[Trailers] Attractive singers trying to be actors

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I'd completely forgotten she was even in Lost

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Atomic Blonde: solid action shown, always appreciate it when people show that 120 pound women might be able to be super nimble around 250 pound stooges and ptew ptew well, but a punch that lands will mess them up. Story seems kind of meh and trying to be too kewl, and the first movie that came to mind was Salt and that film sucked. But if it's a John Wick director I have higher hopes, and Macavoy and Goodman are solid.

Also way to shit on Blue Monday by making it part of the slow song remix brigade, but solid use of Queen. Again, this just makes me confused about the film, you're showing both the good and the bad in just the music selection alone.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    a
    Oakey wrote: »
    I'd completely forgotten she was even in Lost

Lost did the same thing that The Walking Dead does(well, ok reverse that), introduce a bunch of characters and let the fans sort it out. If an actor gets out of line or does something you dont like, you can just kill them off the next week and bring in fresh meat for the grinder.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Atomic Blonde: solid action shown, always appreciate it when people show that 120 pound women might be able to be super nimble around 250 pound stooges and ptew ptew well, but a punch that lands will mess them up. Story seems kind of meh and trying to be too kewl, and the first movie that came to mind was Salt and that film sucked. But if it's a John Wick director I have higher hopes, and Macavoy and Goodman are solid.

Also way to shit on Blue Monday by making it part of the slow song remix brigade, but solid use of Queen. Again, this just makes me confused about the film, you're showing both the good and the bad in just the music selection alone.

Irrelevant, this is an action movie. Male action heroes do insane things which make what she did in the trailer look mundane. It's kind of irritating when I always hear how realism must be adhered to whenever a woman is doing action scenes, yet when a man or boy does it they get applause.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Logan is going to get a black and white release on bluray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Abq0F5Q-A

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    There's a degree of verisimilitude needed but the good thing about film is that we'll believe anything if it is done well.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Irrelevant, this is an action movie. Male action heroes do insane things which make what she did in the trailer look mundane. It's kind of irritating when I always hear how realism must be adhered to whenever a woman is doing action scenes, yet when a man or boy does it they get applause.

What action movie features a small man fighting much larger men shrugging off a beating and getting cheers? Ever since Die Hard, we the audience have cheered our heroes getting dragged through hell. In Civil War,
    Black Widow is inside a tank with a live grenade and she explodes out the door without mussing her hair. Compare that to the state of the male heroes at the end of the film. Realism creates stakes, otherwise your hero is boring.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I can think of plenty of movies where "200 pound badass" gets his shit ruined by "400 pound hulking mountain of muscle goon" for a few rounds before getting the upper hand.

In an action movie, if I can believe that a dude can take ninety minutes of beatings, get shot three times, and still fight on with only a grimace and gritted teeth, I'm generally fine with a woman doing something similar.

We're already in a land of make believe and power fantasy wish fulfillment. Changing the gender of the actor or stunt person in question isn't that big a deal, to me at least.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i am willing to believe that goons are made of plasticine ok

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017

What action movie features a small man fighting much larger men shrugging off a beating and getting cheers? Ever since Die Hard, we the audience have cheered our heroes getting dragged through hell. In Civil War,
    Black Widow is inside a tank with a live grenade and she explodes out the door without mussing her hair. Compare that to the state of the male heroes at the end of the film. Realism creates stakes, otherwise your hero is boring.

John McClane hasn't been a realistic hero for years, by the forth movie he'd fit right in with the Fast and Furious crew or the Avengers. Jason Bourne, certain versions of James Bond/Batman, Hawkeye* and John Wick are realistic heroes who do fantastic feats in their movies and no one raises an eye brow.

Realism has its place, yet when it comes to women doing that they have a greater proportion of getting critiqued for breaking reality. That is where the double standard lies.

It's been a huge tradition in movies and tv shows for ordinary men to be super human while still supposedly being ordinary men and that hasn't entirely ended. Look at what the dudes in the Fast and Furious do, especially post-Fast Five.

Yes, realism creates stakes, but when women do this they're supposed to be on a lower spectrum in a media when realism and sometimes not realism is in play.

* who's skill set makes BW's look quaint with his archery

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    When John McClane fights a larger man, he comes out looking like hamburger. When Black Widow fights a larger man, she might wipe her sleeve across her mouth when it's over. Same for Bourne, Batman, or Bond. Nobody is asking for women to get one punch ko'ed. They can overcome crazy shit the same as men. Just make it look right.

Ruby Rose has a pretty rad fight in Wick 2. They used the size difference between the actors to do interesting things. If she doesn't react to being slammed around, the scene wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

Conversely, Gina Carano was made to look huge in her fight in Deadpool, and it was also pretty rad. She looked strong and powerful, which works great against Colossus. Put Ruby Rose in that scene and it wouldn't be the same.

PS Nobody likes Hawkeye. Not even his mom. I'm not sure how you don't notice the complaints about him. The only positive thing I've ever heard about him was people like the Quicksilver joke in Ultron. Literally the only scene I've heard talked about fondly.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Hawkguy is great in everything that isn't the first Avengers movie, where he gets no real screentime.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Hawkeye could be brutally executed for 20 minutes in Avengers and I wouldn't complain. They never needed a second boring ordinary human character, and despite the potential for retirement in Ultron, he will come to their aid in Infinity War anyway, sapping up scenes from better people. Black Widow also sucks.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Hawkeye is the best part of Age Ultron.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Wow, Hawkeye is great.

I still want a Marvel spy flick starring Black Widow and Hawkeye.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The action in Atomic Blonde just looks brutal, its obviously going to be stylized too, but that's more just the JW style. John also got wrecked in his movies not by size because Keanu Reeves is not a small man (and as fight club told us skinny guys fight until they are burger) but numbers normally or just situationally.

Jet Li is the actor I normally think of for a dude who's pretty small that punches above his weight, but most of his MA films usually have a fight that calls out his size disadvantage.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    @Harry Dresden None of these trailers are on Neflix.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Atomic Blonde looks awesome and Hawkeye is great.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Movie Hawkeye suffers a great deal from not using enough cool trick arrows. 90% of the arrows he shoots in the MCU are the boring old pointy kind, with a few grenade arrows thrown in.

Gimme dem taser, bola, cryo, glue-trap, and boomerang arrows.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Hawkguy was 2/3 of the way to shooting down a helicarrier in the first Avengers movie and he blew up Loki's smug face. In conclusion he's pretty cool.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    When John McClane fights a larger man, he comes out looking like hamburger. When Black Widow fights a larger man, she might wipe her sleeve across her mouth when it's over. Same for Bourne, Batman, or Bond. Nobody is asking for women to get one punch ko'ed. They can overcome crazy shit the same as men. Just make it look right.

Ruby Rose has a pretty rad fight in Wick 2. They used the size difference between the actors to do interesting things. If she doesn't react to being slammed around, the scene wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

Conversely, Gina Carano was made to look huge in her fight in Deadpool, and it was also pretty rad. She looked strong and powerful, which works great against Colossus. Put Ruby Rose in that scene and it wouldn't be the same.

PS Nobody likes Hawkeye. Not even his mom. I'm not sure how you don't notice the complaints about him. The only positive thing I've ever heard about him was people like the Quicksilver joke in Ultron. Literally the only scene I've heard talked about fondly.

Not in this thread, no, but you're reasonably intelligent - in the wider web? Yes, this gets ridiculous complaints from neanderthals who can't handle any woman in action role because it's "unrealistic."

Ruby Rose is actually pretty good as an action hero in xXx, and so was Deepika Padukone.

When Buffy was on tv she used to get numerous complaints because she a "90lb girl," despite the fact she had the excuse of being supernaturally augmented. Sydney Bristol and River in Serenity got this to a lesser extent.

• Options
    Not in this thread, no

Then don't scold this thread.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Not in this thread, no

Then don't scold this thread.

I wasn't scolding this thread, I was speaking in general.

edit: This is a subject which has a wider scope than merely the posters participating here.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Point Break + True Romance?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Black Widow was at her best in Winter Soldier. The director thought to inject her with some personality and confidence, she kicks ass brutally, and she gets the shit knocked out of her. Hell, when she gets shot, she just drops. She's not even in the final battle because of how wiped she is afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz3Oy6p9qDA

The utilitarian hairstyle and toned-down makeup also gives her a much-needed air of competence and professionalism.

Hawkeye works well because he's smart enough to pick his battles.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    WW trailer 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INLzqh7rZ-U

Superb trailer. Crossing my fingers this'll be good, but I'm not going to bet on that.

TF clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A8f5ZnSlgI

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    The international version.

https://youtu.be/z2z857RSfhk

• Options
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I must be the only person who doesn't like Wonder Woman's theme in the DCEU. It just sounds chaotic.

The actual trailer itself makes the film look promising though.

Also, I'm going to pass on the latest Transformers film. At least until maybe its a rental. My heart can't stand another terrible Transformers movie right now.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Baby Driver international trailer

edit: Never mind, it seems Thom get there first. lol

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I must be the only person who doesn't like Wonder Woman's theme in the DCEU. It just sounds chaotic.

The actual trailer itself makes the film look promising though.

Also, I'm going to pass on the latest Transformers film. At least until maybe its a rental. My heart can't stand another terrible Transformers movie right now.

The Wonder Woman theme is bad, it isn't inspiring, it's what you hear during a raid in an action film as the cops start getting murdered. And it's completely at odds with the tone of the trailer.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Yeah I enjoy noise in my music bordering on being amelodic, and I can't stand that theme.

That trailer is the first one that actually got me interested in the movie. I just assume it will be as garbage as the others in their universe.

That transformers movie seems like they are at least making choices and moving the world in a really weird direction. But I'm a fan of the previous movies for various reasons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    They should have done something with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1rBZIzr49k

Like, it's extremely cheesy... but it's got some neat elements that you can play with in an update.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Warcry wrote: »
    Black Widow was at her best in Winter Soldier. The director thought to inject her with some personality and confidence, she kicks ass brutally, and she gets the shit knocked out of her. Hell, when she gets shot, she just drops. She's not even in the final battle because of how wiped she is afterwards.

As a point of order, she wasn't fighting on the Helicarriers, but Widow was involved in the final battle.

She secures the council before Fury shows up.

40 seconds in on this;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JlySl0Z6cQ

She's not at 100% for sure, but she still manhandles like half a dozen dudes.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    They should have done something with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1rBZIzr49k

Like, it's extremely cheesy... but it's got some neat elements that you can play with in an update.

There'll be a scene where the world reacts to Wonder Woman's appearance and this song is used, and all the people comment on how it lacks edge.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I don't know how I feel about Baby Driver.

It's Edgar Wright, dude knows his stuff, Hot Fuzz is on my Top 10 list. And it has Don Draper and The Punisher so green checks there.

But it's a Sony movie, World's End was meh, and Teen Transporter severely cuts into the cool factor of the Transporter, and the music thing makes it even more annoying because it's not gonna be Journey, it's not gonna be James Taylor, it's not gonna be Less Than Jake. It'll be whatever product placement band/singer Sony needs to sell.