Options

[Trailers] Attractive singers trying to be actors

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    About the 120 pound girl beating big guys thing:

Didn't the Fast and the Furious movies have a character propelled across a bridge by an explosion onto a speeding car without a scratch?

What I am saying is that Die Hard was 30 years ago and we should probably compare Atomic Blonde with more recent films.

As for Edgar Wright; Man made Shaun, Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim. Guy has earned a lot of cred with me so I am in.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I noticed this with the King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 trailers and now I'm wondering if it holds up. Trailers for films seem to be released like this:

Trailer 1. gets you interested. These usually show potential, they leave you wanting more info and people tend to talk about them.
    Trailer 2. Best trailer. Better music, pacing, revealing plot but not too much.
    Trailer 3. mediocre trailer. This is the one they show in theatres. Mostly out of context clips, there's no arc, sometimes a unnecessary plot reveal.

As I said, I noticed it with those two films, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it with a lot of others as well.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Didn't the Fast and the Furious movies have a character propelled across a bridge by an explosion onto a speeding car without a scratch?

What I am saying is that Die Hard was 30 years ago and we should probably compare Atomic Blonde with more recent films.

I think it depends a ton on the style of violence.

Like Asian action movies have a long tradition of female fighters fighting evenly with men, especially in stuff like wuxia films where it's all about skill and spiritual strength rather than brute power. Having a 120 pound girl beating up dudes is not only common, it's to be expected. But also those ass-kicking women are usually played by physically trained and gifted actresses, which is often not the case in western productions.

And I think that's really the biggest problem with a lot of the modern hollywood action ladies. Action Men are selected in part by their ability to portray physical skill, and productions usually devote a lot of time and training to help them do that. That doesn't mean what they're doing is "realistic", but at least it follows a believable internal logic.

But for female actresses, the emphasis is still to look like a runway model first and foremost. Films and TV show crews place more emphasis during the selection and production process on having an actress who looks, well, fuckable. The Hollywood process leading up to the shooting of an action scene usually primes a male actor for success and a female actress for failure.

Independent of the hordes of insecure sexist idiots on the internet (no buddy, sorry, you can't beat up Ronda Rousey just because of your penis), I don't think complaining about the poor quality of a lot of female fight scenes is wrong. It's not actually about IRL fighting in the first place, it's about giving a physical performance, the same way as we'd complain about a bad musical which has to cover up half of its cast's inability to dance through overly-fast cuts and zoom ins that obscure what's happening.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    The unfair standard works both ways.

0772c1738e38473e288df53c8a1dcf45.jpg

is-captain-america-a-virgin-chris-evans-weighs-in.jpg

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I think it's a real missed opportunity to call the movie Baby on Board.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

They get brief shots of fan service (which in itself isn't common in media), the rest of the time they're made to look like warriors you do not want to fuck with - not runway models. Nor do they fight with sexy poses like Black Widow.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited March 2017

Didn't the Fast and the Furious movies have a character propelled across a bridge by an explosion onto a speeding car without a scratch

That was Vin Diesel in Fast Five. They're not giving stunts like that to Gal Gadot or Michelle Rodriguez in those movies.
    As for Edgar Wright; Man made Shaun, Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim. Guy has earned a lot of cred with me so I am in.

Agreed.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

Saw that at the Drive In when it came out, watched it then drove over to Mortal Kombat and watched that. Was a good night.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

They get brief shots of fan service (which in itself isn't common in media), the rest of the time they're made to look like warriors you do not want to fuck with - not runway models. Nor do they fight with sexy poses like Black Widow.

The fact that Black Widow was chosen to be the girl Avenger (also, the fact there is a the girl Acenger) tells you much about that process as well.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

The fact that Black Widow was chosen to be the girl Avenger (also, the fact there is a the girl Acenger) tells you much about that process as well.

Fun fact: Whedon originally wanted Wasp, played by Morena Baccarin, to be on the team.

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

I'm sure many women greatly enjoy the Hulk running around shirtless for the entire movie, and the shots of a naked Mark Ruffalo lying in a pile of rubble. Just as men enjoy Widow's spandex-clad ass, I'm sure many women enjoy seeing Spiderman's spandex-clad ass that leaves almost zilch to the imagination. If you want to talk about men not fighting with sexy poses, leave Spiderman out of it. He's squatting, flexing and sticking his ass in the camera 50% of the time. Probably even more than Widow.

Just going to put this out there: even if men aren't posing like runway models, women enjoy seeing raw male physicality just as much as men like sexy poses. Have you ever paid attention to women in the crowd of a male tennis match? It's not exactly hard to tell that some of them are enjoying the grunting and swinging way too much.

Warcry on
  • Options
    kowikowi Registered User regular
    Warcry wrote: »

I'm sure many women greatly enjoy the Hulk running around shirtless for the entire movie, and the shots of a naked Mark Ruffalo lying in a pile of rubble. Just as men enjoy Widow's spandex-clad ass, I'm sure many women enjoy seeing Spiderman's spandex-clad ass that leaves almost zilch to the imagination. If you want to talk about men not fighting with sexy poses, leave Spiderman out of it. He's squatting, flexing and sticking his ass in the camera 50% of the time. Probably even more than Widow.

Just going to put this out there: even if men aren't posing like runway models, women enjoy seeing raw male physicality just as much as men like sexy poses. Have you ever paid attention to women in the crowd of a male tennis match? It's not exactly hard to tell that some of them are enjoying the grunting and swinging way too much.

Or the football where their eyes pop out :D

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

This looks awesome. This is how you do a damn trailer.... Folks at Fast 8 take note.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Let's refocus on actual discussion of actual trailers.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    That Edgar Wright Transporter movie looks really good.

I'll see it.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Why are people calling it Transporter when it seems to share more in common with Drive?

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Why are people calling it Transporter when it seems to share more in common with Drive?

The comedy focus makes it seem more Transporter and less Drive.

Story wise, you're right.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

The comedy focus makes it seem more Transporter and less Drive.

Story wise, you're right.

The trailer didn't actually come across as funny to me; it had bits of levity, but it was otherwise kind of heavy and cool.

I think this will probably be the movie people thought Drive would be.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Okja Teaser Trailer #1, Netflix produced film coming June 28, looks interesting:

https://youtu.be/Mbqtob1rP40

Free Fire International Trailer #2, I'd forgotten about this, still looks like potentially entertaining stuff here, releases March 31:

Oh NSFW language:
    Smurfs: The Lost Village 'Lost' Trailer, blue people coming to theaters April 7:

https://youtu.be/3scpLbTCINw

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Transporter came before Drive and was better because Statham > Gosling.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

The trailer for Drive also grossly misrepresented the movie.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Yeah but Drive Angry is better than both because William Fichtner > Statham > Gosling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRZNLNkxgIg

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Like Asian action movies have a long tradition of female fighters fighting evenly with men, especially in stuff like wuxia films where it's all about skill and spiritual strength rather than brute power. Having a 120 pound girl beating up dudes is not only common, it's to be expected. But also those ass-kicking women are usually played by physically trained and gifted actresses, which is often not the case in western productions.

And I think that's really the biggest problem with a lot of the modern hollywood action ladies. Action Men are selected in part by their ability to portray physical skill, and productions usually devote a lot of time and training to help them do that. That doesn't mean what they're doing is "realistic", but at least it follows a believable internal logic.

But for female actresses, the emphasis is still to look like a runway model first and foremost. Films and TV show crews place more emphasis during the selection and production process on having an actress who looks, well, fuckable. The Hollywood process leading up to the shooting of an action scene usually primes a male actor for success and a female actress for failure.

Independent of the hordes of insecure sexist idiots on the internet (no buddy, sorry, you can't beat up Ronda Rousey just because of your penis), I don't think complaining about the poor quality of a lot of female fight scenes is wrong. It's not actually about IRL fighting in the first place, it's about giving a physical performance, the same way as we'd complain about a bad musical which has to cover up half of its cast's inability to dance through overly-fast cuts and zoom ins that obscure what's happening.

my kingdom for a lady john wick movie with an actress that practices to make it look as good as Keanu did

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

my kingdom for a lady john wick movie with an actress that practices to make it look as good as Keanu did

That might be Atomic Blonde. Charlize apparently sparred with Keanu.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Funnily enough:
    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/charlize-theron-atomic-blonde-training-cracked-teeth-1202007730/
    Theron spent five years developing the project, based on the British graphic novel “The Coldest City.” Her character is the kind usually portrayed onscreen by men — or Angelina Jolie. Theron eventually learned how to do many of her own stunts. “I was like, ‘We’re going to pretend that right?’” Theron said she asked her director. “David was like, ‘No you’re actually going to throw big dudes.’ Alright, let’s throw some big dudes.”

She’d run into Keanu Reeves, who was training at the same gym for “John Wick 2.” “We would spar with each other and s— like that,” Theron added. (When a member of the audience asked if there could be a crossover movie, Leitch, who directed both, responded gamily: “‘Atomic Wick’? Yes.”)

There were some hazards to this line of work. “My teeth are in bad shape,” Theron said. “I’m actually still undergoing surgery. It’s really crazy. When I trained, I cracked two teeth in the back of my mouth, clenching while fighting, because apparently my arm strength wasn’t strong enough.” She had to complete an operation before the shoot started. “And I’m still f—ing dealing with it,” she sighed.

edit- I see I am late.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Just ... god no.

Drive is one of the best movies of the 2010s.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADm0BSHMeA&list=-
    Nova Seed, a film animated by hand by one person. And since it was so short, here's another.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flaUHJhU_gY&list=-

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEyzbnzV2Nk&list=-
    The one thing horror needed. Animegao kigurumi.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRBPXLgKyg

Dave Chappelle's stand up: March 21st.

• Options
    Voice From The Stone

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmFWdSo10cM

Did they just give away the ending in that?!?

American Gods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3awG5wEE7LU

GiTS - Section 9 featurette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dost604rDXU

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I can't believe Ansel Elgort is the lead in any movie, let alone an action movie. That guy runs like he just learned to walk. I've never pegged him as a guy who has charisma. I like Wright's work, but that looks like a big handicap.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think its super weird that he wont have his eyes for a part of the movie. Seems like a weird thing to go out of your way for. I wonder if it pans out or is actually just a "dont cover the actors face for the whole movie" contract clause?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    join our murder posse, uguu~

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    New Transformers V trailer:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/826489-new-transformers-the-last-knight-trailer-brings-the-bayhem#/slide/1
    I'll gladly take a YT version if someone has it.

Way better than the last one, hopefully the odd number rule holds up.
    urahonky wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

This looks awesome. This is how you do a damn trailer.... Folks at Fast 8 take note.

That's one heck of a cast.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    International trailer for Baby Driver is very different.

https://youtu.be/z2z857RSfhk

Both trailers make it seem as if the movie will be more serious than the Cornetto trilogy, but it definitely has those distinctive Wright shots/edits.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3bzzyyR94

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Atomic Blonde looks amazing, but I'd expect that from one of the JW directors. Good on Charlize for seemingly throwing herself into the action/they getting a great stunt woman.

Though was it a Brosnan bond that did a similar tie a rope to a henchman tactic to get somewhere else? I know I've seen that.

It was in Rob Roy as well.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    The Leftovers finals season trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9w0sz5y83k

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Who thought it was a good idea to focus 99% of your trailers on a little girl in your giant robot fighting movie? This thing looks awful. Took extra time out of its way to show Marky too.

That better not actually be
    megatron? in that trailer

Also all I can say is "poor grimlock" relegated to being truckosaurus. That's like a thought crime meant to troll us, even based on the previous movie he was in.

edit: What a horrible nightmare world where jlo is still a relevant reference.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png