As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Middle Earth: [Shadow of War] Micro-Transactions to be tossed into Mount Doom!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I feel really bad for the devs, because it looks like they're making a quality game (except for sexy Queen Shelob, that is so dumb and you will never convince me otherwise) but WB are just taking a runny Taco Bell dump all over it.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    wow

i have terrible arachnaphobia but the only game that ever kicked it in was Resident Evil. It got slightly pinged in that old Lord of the Rings fighting game for the PS2 tho when you fought Shelob.

oh and Earth Defense Force. Good lord I almost shit myself.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I don't like spiders, but I don't mind so much in EDF because I usually have twin gatling guns.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dac wrote: »
    I don't like spiders, but I don't mind so much in EDF because I usually have twin gatling guns.

i eventually get over them in EDF but those first few minutes are incredibly creepy crawly

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    Sounds like Metal Gear Solid's online stuff. I never spent a dime on it, but did alright with it. If this is the same, no sweat. Given that the games are still 60 bucks but require a fucking mountain of resources to make, i'm fine with the current micro transaction route to keep the base price down....since I never buy loot boxes or gold.

What do you mean "keep the base price down"? Is it not $60 for the game?

How long have video games been $59 bucks? Forever basically, or as long as I can remember. How many people did it take to make a 59 dollar game and what was expected of that game from the purchaser 10, 15 or 20 years ago? A lot less and that required a lot less people to make. The audience has expanded sure, and distribution is far better but at the same time unless you want games to go up 10 or 20 bucks, they're going to want to make up that lack of price increase somewhere else.

Look at the credits of a modern triple A game like Mordor - it takes a mountain of people to make, often spanning studios across a few continents - because they farm the art out to their Chinese studio who get paid shit comparatively, would be my guess. Just the same, we're looking at a far greater cost to make games. They don't make games because they love making games either, they make games because they stand to make a shitload of cash on them if they don't suck and they don't push too far on the monetization.

Granted some price increases are going to happen (Hello from Canada) to match the value of the local dollar, or where piracy is hilariously rampant - Hello from Russia.

• Options
    Sounds like Metal Gear Solid's online stuff. I never spent a dime on it, but did alright with it. If this is the same, no sweat. Given that the games are still 60 bucks but require a fucking mountain of resources to make, i'm fine with the current micro transaction route to keep the base price down....since I never buy loot boxes or gold.

How long have video games been $59 bucks? Forever basically, or as long as I can remember.

Less than 20 years (maybe even less than 10). SNES games were 39.99-79.99 in the US in the 90s.

"Forever".

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    $60 for games was the norm when the 360 came out, so it's been the case at least since 2005. Given that prices had slowly increased since the early 90's previous, it's a reasonably long plateau.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

How long have video games been $59 bucks? Forever basically, or as long as I can remember. How many people did it take to make a 59 dollar game and what was expected of that game from the purchaser 10, 15 or 20 years ago? A lot less and that required a lot less people to make. The audience has expanded sure, and distribution is far better but at the same time unless you want games to go up 10 or 20 bucks, they're going to want to make up that lack of price increase somewhere else.

Look at the credits of a modern triple A game like Mordor - it takes a mountain of people to make, often spanning studios across a few continents - because they farm the art out to their Chinese studio who get paid shit comparatively, would be my guess. Just the same, we're looking at a far greater cost to make games. They don't make games because they love making games either, they make games because they stand to make a shitload of cash on them if they don't suck and they don't push too far on the monetization.

Granted some price increases are going to happen (Hello from Canada) to match the value of the local dollar, or where piracy is hilariously rampant - Hello from Russia.

Let me pay $80 for a game that doesn't nickle and dime me the entire way through then. Fuck loot boxes and fuck this bullshit.

• Options
    I would proudly pay 80$ for a game that released with all the dang content and none of it locked behind a fee or specific retailer pre-order wall.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

How long have video games been $59 bucks? Forever basically, or as long as I can remember.

Less than 20 years (maybe even less than 10). SNES games were 39.99-79.99 in the US in the 90s.

"Forever".

Yeah pretty much.

They were standardized to $50 for awhile. PC games (typically) kept that standard while console games jumped to $60.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    I think the first system to change the standard pricing paradigm was the N64, blaming cartridges. There was an occasional oddball SNES game that was above normal retail that included some "FX" chip or other "super rad" tech or had "lots of" memory.

Pay2Win transactions are one way publishers are attempting to maintain the $60 retail while also supporting their inflated budgets while also reporting profits for their money-hungry investors. Shadow of Mordor was a financial success, so it's a shame the publisher tacked on these transactions to recoup some losses in their other games.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    I think the first system to change the standard pricing paradigm was the N64, blaming cartridges. There was an occasional oddball SNES game that was above normal retail that included some "FX" chip or other "super rad" tech or had "lots of" memory.

Pay2Win transactions are one way publishers are attempting to maintain the $60 retail while also supporting their inflated budgets while also reporting profits for their money-hungry investors. Shadow of Mordor was a financial success, so it's a shame the publisher tacked on these transactions to recoup some losses in their other games.

and they do it not to deal with inflated budgets, but to make $texas off people with more money than sense or by exploiting psychologically addictive behavoir

with no guarantee that they'll remove the offensive shit should they ever shut down those servers, increasing the risk that your game may be completely dead and unplayable a few years down the line.

edit

Your SINGLE PLAYER game

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    yeah the one thing I loved about mordor was that you could move pretty fast in stealth. Made it super fun, because usually I dislike stealth in games. I hope they keep that for the second game. Even though yeah it does start to hurt after a while so a setting where you could trigger it off and on would be nice

I would love the ability to throw a rune specialization on your basic movement that's just 'always has benefits of stealth mode'.

Like I don't care if the other runes would be better, I'd spec out of having to hold the trigger down in a heartbeat.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    yeah the one thing I loved about mordor was that you could move pretty fast in stealth. Made it super fun, because usually I dislike stealth in games. I hope they keep that for the second game. Even though yeah it does start to hurt after a while so a setting where you could trigger it off and on would be nice

I would love the ability to throw a rune specialization on your basic movement that's just 'always has benefits of stealth mode'.

Like I don't care if the other runes would be better, I'd spec out of having to hold the trigger down in a heartbeat.

I put stealth on the thumb button of my mouse. Made SoM much less strenuous to play for my fingers.

causality.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Have they explained the "nothing will be forgotten" tagline yet?

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Have they explained the "nothing will be forgotten" tagline yet?

Don't think so. Maybe it's just a general nemesis system thing? Or could be to do with the fact that theyre setting up the story to be celebrimbor going darker and possibly hiding stuff from talion?

On another note this is the follower I chose through the nemesis forge: I decided on him cos he's dopey, cuddly, and his weapon is a rat on a fork

Prohass on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I would proudly pay 80$ for a game that released with all the dang content and none of it locked behind a fee or specific retailer pre-order wall.
    And thus, the "Season Pass" Edition was crafted....

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »

They already have that. It's called the "game of the year edition".

• Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    that released with all the dang content

They already have that. It's called the "game of the year edition".

that released with all the dang content for cri yi

• Options
    Don't even get me started on this season pass bullshit.

• Options
    I basically want the game of the year edition to be the first version released and to not have a bunch of ass codes i have to enter to get all the stuff.

everything on disc, right at the start.

• Options

and you dont see whats insane with that?

You're willing to pay obscenely more for what should be the whole fucking game to begin with

This is what all the DLC bullshit has done to people.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I basically want the game of the year edition to be the first version released and to not have a bunch of ass codes i have to enter to get all the stuff.

So just increase games to $80 from the jump and say that there's a special bit of content on there?

And then DLC happens later anyway because of course it will why wouldn't it?

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

You're willing to pay obscenely more for what should be the whole fucking game to begin with

Yeah, no. companies have to do DLC to make money now. It's required. I'd just rather have it all upfront at the price they need to charge anyway.

So just increase games to $80 from the jump and say that there's a special bit of content on there?

Then that would very specifically NOT be what I'm wishing for then, wouldn't it

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

I think @Magic Pink is saying that if rising development costs entail a more expensive game, that's okay. $80 might be "obscenely more" but that might be what AAA games have to cost if they're going to be profitable while still avoiding all this bullshit. You can't say "the whole fucking game to begin with" should cost $60 if they cost $60 years ago when development costs were lower.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    wow

i have terrible arachnaphobia but the only game that ever kicked it in was Resident Evil. It got slightly pinged in that old Lord of the Rings fighting game for the PS2 tho when you fought Shelob.

oh and Earth Defense Force. Good lord I almost shit myself.

Man, I wish you had played Deadly Creatures

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

Yeah, no. companies have to do DLC to make money now. It's required. I'd just rather have it all upfront at the price they need to charge anyway.

Well that's exactly what your monkey's paw wish is going to get you.

Also how are you going to get DLC that's created after the game is finalized into that $80 disc anyway? Should they just not release the game until the DLC is done too? So some people in back gets a brilliant idea and "sorry the game went gold but now it's gotta go back to the studio for six months because Steve and Tina had an idea for an expansion".

What I'm getting at is your idea is very unrealistic.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Console games in North America went from $50 pre xbox 360 to the $60 we have now.

Inflation tells us that that $60 we started paying back in 2005 would translate over to $77.02 right now.

Just fyi on some numbers to help folks understand just how much inflation really affects things over the years.

Games are getting bigger and more expensive. That has to be made up for somewhere if not the base price of the game.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I like having the option to just pay the $60 and be done.

If the new normal was "include everything at release and charge accordingly", I'd be disappointed that I'd probably have to wait or skip some otherwise good titles.

With a base version, as I intended to get for this, I can decide the DLC probably isn't worth it to me and still get in near the release hype wave, enjoy the higher multiplayer activity if applicable, and always have the option of changing my mind and getting the DLC later.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Console games in North America went from $50 pre xbox 360 to the $60 we have now.

Inflation tells us that that $60 we started paying back in 2005 would translate over to $77.02 right now.

Just fyi on some numbers to help folks understand just how much inflation really affects things over the years.

Games are getting bigger and more expensive. That has to be made up for somewhere if not the base price of the game.

Isn't the pool of potential buyers growing all the time, though? Older people are still playing and younger generations don't see gaming as a niche activity at all - I think I saw a newspaper story that said over 90% of teen Finns play video games at least to some extent and the numbers are probably similar in other Western countries. Of course the number of new titles is increasing as well so there's more competition of the bigger pie but all I'm saying it's not that simple.

In any case I'll buy it on sale in a year or two just like I do with most AAA games.

• Options
    Noggin wrote: »

If the new normal was "include everything at release and charge accordingly", I'd be disappointed that I'd probably have to wait or skip some otherwise good titles.

With a base version, as I intended to get for this, I can decide the DLC probably isn't worth it to me and still get in near the release hype wave, enjoy the higher multiplayer activity if applicable, and always have the option of changing my mind and getting the DLC later.

Right but what about the people with gambling addictions (which is exactly what these loot box games prey on)?

• Options
    edited August 2017

No, they dont. They just want you to think that so they can continue to sell you games piecemeal for $Texas

They literally make billions of dollars of pure profit from DLC, not because they need it, but because its a low effort way to exploit people for more money.

Same fucking reason they are putting lootbox gambling and microtransaction pay2win shit in games, Not because the poor companies are wavering on the verge of default, but because they know there are people out there that will throw millions and millions of extra dollars at them for it.

its literally the biggest return for the lowest effort they've ever discovered, and they are loving it.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »

Right but what about the people with gambling addictions (which is exactly what these loot box games prey on)?

Oh, I was talking more about DLC like extra missions, maps, etc. since the conversation seemed to be steering in that direction.

Micro transactions for random stuff can be pretty bad, ya. I especially disliked when call of duty started hiding special guns behind their freemium crates. Would've loved to use the "modern M1" they added but nooope.

Seeing them here is disappointing.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Also how are you going to get DLC that's created after the game is finalized into that $80 disc anyway? Should they just not release the game until the DLC is done too? So some people in back gets a brilliant idea and "sorry the game went gold but now it's gotta go back to the studio for six months because Steve and Tina had an idea for an expansion".

that's because it's not an idea, it's a wish

i'm not stating on any level it should happen, will happen or is even possible.

and there would be no DLC created after the game, that is the entire point of what i'm wishing. yes they would wait until it was done just like they did for literally decades.

i seriously fail to understand why people are so dang offended that I would like an entire game all at once without having to worry about DLC

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

and there would be no DLC created after the game, that is the entire point of what i'm wishing. yes they would wait until it was done just like they did for literally decades.

i seriously fail to understand why people are so dang offended that I would like an entire game all at once without having to worry about DLC

Because DLC isn't stuff that they took out of the game. It's additional stuff. You know they used to make dlc back then, too, right? It was called expansion packs. It's the same thing. This isn't 2007 anymore when DLC was still a new thing. 99% of the time you're getting the full game nowadays. I can't think of any game that has released that was actively missing content anymore.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Because DLC isn't stuff that they took out of the game. It's additional stuff. You know they used to make dlc back then, too, right? It was called expansion packs. It's the same thing. This isn't 2007 anymore when DLC was still a new thing. 99% of the time you're getting the full game nowadays. I can't think of any game that has released that was actively missing content anymore.

DLC and Expansion packs are nothing alike.

• Options
    edited August 2017

DownLoadable Content.

Unless you're getting your expansion packs in some other fashion, like on floppy disks or CDs like the old days, they fall under the DLC umbrella.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

How are they any different? And to be clear I'm not talking about microtransactions or cosmetics.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Presumably the difference is size; something like Brood War is a whole game on its own, whereas Blade of Galadriel is likely to be half a dozen missions with possibly a new mechanic or two.

Saying that you can only create new content if it's of sufficient volume is just not going to work, though.

QPPHj1J.jpg