As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Middle Earth: [Shadow of War] Micro-Transactions to be tossed into Mount Doom!

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So playing the game with doing absolutely no sidequests (I beat the first area in 2.5 hours) has paid off and finally delivered me a worthy Nemesis.
    099657AE6B4C7C91C807802305F104A1AEB69BC0

This guy is a REAL fucker. Damn near kills me in one hit.

Reminds me of a revenge mission I did a few months ago. By that point even several captains at once were easy, so I didn't even bother too look at his stats (first mistake). I easily got him down to nearly dead, and then decided to get the extra xp for killing his bodyguards as well... BIG MISTAKE

Multishot
    Deadly
    No Last Chance

That was the day I learned some captains can one hit kill you from full health.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    and now a look at the expanded Nemesis System, here focusing on how Warlords and tribes will affect the game world.

https://youtu.be/uk197PKSQu4

we're getting to the end of the month so can't expect much more from IGN on this, but hopefully they still have something nice to cap off their First coverage.

Did that Chief have a fucking hype man?

Fuck I need this game.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    That was an incredibly lame QTE final boss preceded by an incredibly cool final battle. I brought all my rowdy, dirty boyz to the yard and burned down that group of elite lieutenants. Now THAT was fun, and I can see that was clearly the inspiration for War for Mordor.

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I got to play this at Comic con last week. I played a siege level and the initial interaction with the warchief was fantastic. He comes out with another orc yelling about how he can't be fooled by spies and proceeds to slit his thoat and kick him off the ledge. It then cuts to my guys and one of them says, "Uhh boss, we didn't have any spies in there."

He ended up killing one of his own captains for me.

This game is going to be great.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    That was an incredibly lame QTE final boss preceded by an incredibly cool final battle. I brought all my rowdy, dirty boyz to the yard and burned down that group of elite lieutenants. Now THAT was fun, and I can see that was clearly the inspiration for War for Mordor.

The Bright Lord DLC gave the final boss we deserved IMO.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I have a Uruk nemesis that has an ability to negate my last chance getting up saving my life thing.

The fucker always shows up when i'm in the middle of a huge fight and delievers the final blow.

The fucker.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I have a Uruk nemesis that has an ability to negate my last chance getting up saving my life thing.

The fucker always shows up when i'm in the middle of a huge fight and delievers the final blow.

The fucker.

:+1:

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

The fucker.

There's a reason when I discover a captain with that trait I go into full creepy stalker orc murderer mode

• Options
    I found the Orc that goes "FFFFnggeeee! *click click click* shaaaaa."

What a kidder.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I found the Orc that goes "FFFFnggeeee! *click click click* shaaaaa."

What a kidder.

Well at least it doesn't say ekke ekke ekke ekke ptang zoo boing

• Options
    I have gathered all the Ithildin, i thought it would give me some new power or something special.

Nope.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    I have gathered all the Ithildin, i thought it would give me some new power or something special.

Nope.

It's just points you can use to buy abilities.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Um.. I'm not really sure how to parse this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXdQU7alE8g

• Options
    Dammit, Bundle Stars had a 25% off deal that said it was still valid for 12 more days, but it's gone now and it hasn't been 12 days. Fuckers!

Knew I should have jumped on it.

• Options
    I'm fine with one silly orc captain out of all the hundreds we'll fight. Kinda reminds me of Ratbag of trying to be tough--and actually kind of is.

Also yeah, back when Bundlestars emailed out a 30% off coupon I could not resist.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    huh, well they're doing that pre-order cap'n thing well, with actual characters and not just skin swaps.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Ha! I'd been grinding away to try to get a brain-damaged captain to be my nemesis when it was Hoshu the Serpent all along! He just didn't have the usual crazy hairdo and exposed brain like the other ones.

Still I didn't realize until I challenged me and howled in my face. I loved it. Stoked to meet him again in Shadow of War.

Edit: Also leveled him up to 20 so he'll be a proper challenge. Not totally overpowered like some orcs out there though.
    ?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:576&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C1024%3A576&background-color=black

and the follower:

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|1024:576&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C1024%3A576&background-color=black

Karoz on
  • Options
    Finally managed to mount a Graug.

Went captain hunting with my big bad ass new friend.

Every Captain I found hated Graugs and went all crazy.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Am I going crazy or is this game on the short side? I'm like five hours in and I've already revealed two thirds of the map.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    There are two maps.

I imagine you could mill through the story missions quite quickly if you wanted to though.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    yeah if you just focus on the story missions then there really isn't all that much to the game. the real meat is in fucking around with the various captains, warchiefs and related side-quests(the red ones specifically).

• Options
    Also, is there much of a plot beyond "are you a bad enough dude to fuck with orcs in Mordor?"

Not criticizing, just calibrating my expectations.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Also, is there much of a plot beyond "are you a bad enough dude to fuck with orcs in Mordor?"

Not criticizing, just calibrating my expectations.

The main story is just an excuse to play with fun Ringwraith like powers and still, very technically, be fighting the forces of evil.

The fun with the story is mostly in the codex type stuff, if you play detective finding artifacts. Talion and Celebrimor have cool dialogue with each other commenting on the state of the world and the stories they find. If you want to be spoiled, I can tell you the outline.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Speaking as a player who skipped the game when it came out initially, the story does get a lot more interesting once you hit the second area. The entire first area is basically a chance for you to "settle in" to the gameplay. Personally, I think it drags on far too long and I nearly lost interest. The big fight that unlocks the second are is REALLY DIFFICULT the first time through. I had to google some old videos to see if I was missing a "trick" but it turns out that you just gotta play better to get through it! After that, the story actually starts being interesting (at least it did for me) and leverages more Tolkein-esque backstory elements, instead of just being the simplistic "I'm a badass hell-bent on revenge" trope.

EDIT: I should admit that it wasn't enough to keep me going though. I got about 1/3 of the way through the second area before I lost interest in the game and moved on. I might finish it someday, but my backlog is already too long!

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    I would advise not to abuse running away too much from fights. The story is improved by the player dying, as it makes your interactions with your Orc Nemesis' better, AND you get better loot from killing higher level enemies. Killing Captains or even Warchiefs isn't that difficult if you target their weaknesses, but if you play around with the system, getting bodyguards, betrayal plots in motion, etc, you can do some really fun things.

• Options
    basically keep throwing your corpse at people to get good fight and better loots.

• Options
    I need advice on enjoying the nemesis system. I know in theory that you can use it to exploit weaknesses and sow chaos in the orc ranks, but it seems like every time I'm able to stake out a captain I have no information on him. Meanwhile captains I know about keep showing up again and again to murder me whenever I'm trying to complete another mission or pick a flower or something, including one guy (the ever-wounded) I swear I've killed three times already, and I've already created a platoon of uber-orcs.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I need advice on enjoying the nemesis system. I know in theory that you can use it to exploit weaknesses and sow chaos in the orc ranks, but it seems like every time I'm able to stake out a captain I have no information on him. Meanwhile captains I know about keep showing up again and again to murder me whenever I'm trying to complete another mission or pick a flower or something, including one guy (the ever-wounded) I swear I've killed three times already, and I've already created a platoon of uber-orcs.

You gotta run around hitting up the informant orcs with the... green? icon over their head. Get info on er'body.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    Right, I've been gathering information. Maybe I've been having shitty luck?

Also, how do you position orcs of your choosing against other orcs? Is it just a matter of taking down the orcs directly above them on the chart, or what?

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Right, I've been gathering information. Maybe I've been having shitty luck?

Also, how do you position orcs of your choosing against other orcs? Is it just a matter of taking down the orcs directly above them on the chart, or what?
    You need to grab and Dominate a branded Captain, then select Command. That will take you to the Sauron’s Army screen.

Select another Captain to order your guy to try to Murder him. Select a Warchief to get your guy to try to become his bodyguard. If your guy is already a bodyguard, select the Warchief he’s guarding to order him to Betray.

These orders all become Uruk power struggles that you can visit, just like the ones the game procedurally generates, but coloured blue on the map.

If you can’t find a branded Captain, select them from the Army screen and it will show you where to look.

Once you've branded a Warchief, there will be a specific spot on the map where you can go to meet him.

Also, you can Interrogate Captains to get Intel on their comrades.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    The Command ability doesn't unlock until the second map, I believe. But once you get it you can initiate power struggles within the orc ranks.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Aaaaaaah, I thought I was missing something. (the command thing.) No wonder people were saying they almost gave up before the second map. Now that sounds loads of fun.

So, don't worry too much about trying to influence the chain of command until the second map, then?

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaah, I thought I was missing something. (the command thing.) No wonder people were saying they almost gave up before the second map. Now that sounds loads of fun.

So, don't worry too much about trying to influence the chain of command until the second map, then?
    In Udun (the first map), you influence the chain of command with the business end of your blade.

When you get to Nurn, follow the first couple of story missions right away to quickly unlock Brand. Then you can start radicalizing uruks.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Because every rose has its thorn.
    Middle-earth: Shadow of War
    Introducing the Market – Announcement

The innovative Nemesis System created unique personal stories through procedurally-generated enemies who remember every encounter and are differentiated by their personality, strengths and weaknesses. Middle-earth: Shadow of War expands this innovation with the introduction of followers who bring about entirely new stories of loyalty, betrayal and revenge. The Nemesis System is also expanded to create a unique personal world through Nemesis fortresses, which allows players to utilize different strategies to conquer dynamic strongholds and create personalized worlds with their unique Orc army.

An important aspect of the Nemesis System now comes in forging, customizing and leading your own army of unique Orc followers against the fortresses of Mordor. There are different ways to do this, including dominating Orcs by exploring the vast open-world and encountering them as part of Orc society, or players can acquire Orcs and other items through the Market (in-game store).

Through the Market, players can purchase Loot Chests, War Chests, XP Boosts and Bundles (accessed only with an internet connection).

sow_marketannounce2.jpg

• Loot Chests contain Gear (weapons and armor) of varying rarity. Equipping and upgrading these weapons and armor enhance Talion’s character abilities. Loot Chests can also contain XP Boosts that help level up Talion faster.
    • War Chests provide Orc followers of varying rarity to help forge a strong army. They can also contain Training Orders to level up and customize Orc followers.
    • XP Boosts are consumables that help level up Talion faster.
    • Bundles package up Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts together at a great value.

To purchase these items, players can spend Mirian or Gold throughout the game as one progresses. Mirian is a type of in-game currency that can be acquired by:

• Defeating Treasure Orcs
    • Destroying Gear for Mirian
    • Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
    • Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game

Gold is another form of in-game currency that can be used to get higher level Loot Chests, War Chests, Boosts and Bundles of the aforementioned content. Gold can be acquired by:

• Purchasing through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store or by adding to your Steam Wallet using real money.
    • Awarded in small amounts at specific milestones.
    • Awarded for participating in community challenges.

Please note: No content in the game is gated by Gold. All content can be acquired naturally through normal gameplay.

What is Mirian and how do I earn it?
    Mirian is a form of in-game currency that players earn by playing the game. Along with Gold, Mirian can be used to purchase Loot Chests and War Chests from the Market. Mirian can be acquired by:

Defeating Treasure Orcs
    Destroying Gear for Mirian
    Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
    Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game
    What is Gold and how do I earn it?
    Gold is a form of in-game currency awarded in small amounts at specific milestones and for participating in community challenges. It can also be purchased for real money through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store and by adding funds to your Steam Wallet. Along with Mirian, Gold can be used to purchase Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts from the Market.
    What can I get with Gold?
    Along with Mirian, players can use Gold to purchase Loot Chests that contain Gear for Talion (weapons and armor), War Chests that provide Orcs for your army of followers and Boosts that help level up Talion faster.
    Do I have to pay for Gold?
    No, Gold is awarded in small amounts at specific milestones and for participating in community challenges. It can also be purchased through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store and by adding funds to your Steam Wallet using real money. Everything a player can buy with Gold can also be earned in the game over time for free, but Gold gives players the option to acquire these items faster. No Gold purchases are necessary to enjoy the complete game experience.

What do you mean when you say Gold can save time?
    By simply engaging with the world and playing through Middle-earth: Shadow of War, you earn items like Gear for Talion and unique Orcs for your army. These are the same items that are found in the Market within Loot Chests and War Chests. Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately, cutting down some of the additional time that would have been spent winning more battles, tracking nemeses, completing quests and assaulting fortresses.

Does Gold give me an advantage in the game?
    No, Gold does not give you any advantage over other players. A player who invests enough time can progress the same amount and have access to the same content as a player who purchases Gold. Gold is not required to progress or advance in the game at all.

Are there unique items in the market purchased using Gold that you can’t get through normal play?
    No, all of the aforementioned items can be earned playing through the game. Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately.
    How much does Gold cost?
    Prices for Gold will be communicated at a later date.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That's gross, although since no content is locked behind real money purchases and because the game is single player I don't really give a shit.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Hmmm, at first I felt like it was gross, but I think it can be safely ignored. It still sounds and looks like you'll be at a disadvantage if you don't use any extra currency you earn to grind out gear in that market system, but I'm not sure yet, you might earn things just as quickly naturally

This will be the first time this kind of currency lootbox stuff has actually bugged me in a game. It feels like it cheapens the fun of the nemesis system knowing it's there. I'll be ignoring it but I have a hard time believing I won't be disadvantaged by doing so in terms of gear chances. You're simply going to get a lot more gear if you use the market, even If you never buy stuff with real money and just use the in game currency you earn

I'll have to wait and see how it works out in game though I might be being too hasty. It looks like loot drops pretty fast and you will be encountering way more orcs so it might even out

There must be just so much cash in these currency markets, developers really can't seem to leave it on the table

It sounds gross at first glance but it might end up being inconsequential

Prohass on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Well shit, this just went from day 1 purchase to "wait and see how fucked up that system is."

God damn it AAA gaming, this is why you're awful.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Heh, an important part of the nemesis system is gold, which is best acquired by actively not engaging with the nemesis system.

• Options
    It's kinda weird from a game standpoint that this and Horizon: Zero Dawn have a loot box bent.

And then you realize that makes money and the mystery is solved.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Pretty much every Warner Bros published game has some kind of bullshit dlc going into them now.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg