As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Middle Earth: [Shadow of War] Micro-Transactions to be tossed into Mount Doom!

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The problem with shit like this is that it's blatantly something that was shoehorned into the game not to make it a better experience, but to strip consumers of their money beyond the $60 entry fee (or more if you go for one of the three pre-order packages (lolwut), not to mention the already planned DLC). When called out on this shit, publishers will then cry about the rising costs of game development while ignoring the fact that the rising cost of game development is their own fucking fault. If they want to save money on game development then maybe they fucking shouldn't be wasting time and money on a multiplayer mode nobody asked for that is a pathetically obvious system to feed the micro-transactions. WB Games basically had Monolith waste time shoving a fucking mobile game into a single player game just out of sheer greed and we can only sit here and hope the base game didn't suffer because of that. There's no value for us here, this isn't being done to create a better experience for the player, this is just "modern AAA gaming" doing what it does best; shitting in the consumer's mouth and expecting us to say "yes, this is fine, please shit in my mouth more."

I didn't buy Mankind Divided because of this crap and I'm sure as shit not gonna reward WB Games for it either.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The worst thing about these things is the customers it drives away and that the message taken from that by the publishers is never ever "customers want us to stop fucking with perfectly fine games" but instead they think "well, I guess that development team fucked up the game that we made better with our additions".

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ....aaaaaand I've got to kill a warchief that's immune to any non-normal standard moves who always shows up with a berserker bodyguard that's immune to jumpstuns so you can't really do any damage to him and another spear-throwing bodyguard with ludicrously strong poison. The three of them together can get me to the final death struggle in like two hits, and when I try to separate them with their fears I manage to get in a fight with the non-scared ones with 47,000 other orcs.

Starting to think this game series isn't for me.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    As in he calls in two ambushers?

When that's happening you can back off from the warchief for a bit and instead dismantle his support.

Hunt down and engage the bodyguards, or use any available events to occupy them so you can ambush them. Once those two are dealt with the warchief will be alone.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    If you can turn that stuff off then I don't give a shit. If you can't and all my orc bases are going to be burned to the ground while I sleep by people with +12 Rings of Power that they got in Loot Boxes, I'm going to be pissed. So pissed that probably I won't even bother buying the game in the first place so I don't have to worry about that stuff happening.
    Without getting into the microtransactions discussion, this Eurogamer video talks about how the Conquest system works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9xbj3xpj08

Briefly: You can set up one of your captured fortresses to be part of the Conquest mode. If you do, that's the one that other people can attack (so they can't just massacre your entire army). From what I gather, if you don't set up a fortress for Conquest, you can't be attacked.

If you choose to play Ranked Conquests, your Orcs are at risk when you attack (it's not mentioned when, if ever, your Orcs are at risk on defense). You can also do "Friendly" invasions where you can't lose anything, so if all you want to do is attack fortresses forever without worrying about leaderboards, that's the mode for you.

The last couple of minutes of the video are about the new and improved Vendettas, which sound ace.

TL;DR it doesn't sound like you need to worry about having all your hard work undone by randos.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    ....aaaaaand I've got to kill a warchief that's immune to any non-normal standard moves who always shows up with a berserker bodyguard that's immune to jumpstuns so you can't really do any damage to him and another spear-throwing bodyguard with ludicrously strong poison. The three of them together can get me to the final death struggle in like two hits, and when I try to separate them with their fears I manage to get in a fight with the non-scared ones with 47,000 other orcs.

Starting to think this game series isn't for me.
    As @Noggin says, isolate the bodyguards and take them out individually, as you would any other Captain (when you aren't attacking the warchief, the Captains are wandering around the map).

If you're at the point where you can Brand, then turn them to your side. Once you've done that, you can order one of them to murder their boss. Then you just show up and watch them kill each other.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    The worst thing about these things is the customers it drives away and that the message taken from that by the publishers is never ever "customers want us to stop fucking with perfectly fine games" but instead they think "well, I guess that development team fucked up the game that we made better with our additions".

Yup, the backlash against these announcements is already not good and the game is probably going to lose a decent chunk of sales over this. But "AAA" publishers are just as awful as Hollywood so unfortunately Monolith will bear the brunt of WB's bad decisions.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Ah, microtransactions huh? Saves me $60.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Sounds like Metal Gear Solid's online stuff. I never spent a dime on it, but did alright with it. If this is the same, no sweat. Given that the games are still 60 bucks but require a fucking mountain of resources to make, i'm fine with the current micro transaction route to keep the base price down....since I never buy loot boxes or gold.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Sounds like Metal Gear Solid's online stuff. I never spent a dime on it, but did alright with it. If this is the same, no sweat. Given that the games are still 60 bucks but require a fucking mountain of resources to make, i'm fine with the current micro transaction route to keep the base price down....since I never buy loot boxes or gold.

What do you mean "keep the base price down"? Is it not $60 for the game?

• Options
    Also you place a lot more trust in WB doing the right thing and not making it all too tempting to spend money on it. I'm guessing the base EXP you get will be severely hampered without these boosts.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Also you place a lot more trust in WB doing the right thing and not making it all too tempting to spend money on it. I'm guessing the base EXP you get will be severely hampered without these boosts.
    [Citation needed]

(You can get the same boosts without spending real money.)

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    [Citation needed]

(You can get the same boosts without spending real money.)

I figured the "I'm guessing" was enough to tip you off that I was guessing. :P

• Options
    I don't trust WB to fuck us over somehow. Of all the companies that develop games: WB is the company that I trust the least. Especially after Arkham Knight.

• Options
    I don't trust WB to fuck us over somehow. Of all the companies that develop games: WB is the company that I trust the least. Especially after Arkham Knight.
    Fair enough. I'm in on SoW, so I'll be sure to let y'all know if the progression feels jacked.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Fair enough. I'm in on SoW, so I'll be sure to let y'all know if the progression feels jacked.

Oh I'm sure it'll sell well. I'm at this point, though, where I won't be pre-ordering it and wait until reviews and impressions (like yours) come out before I drop any money. If it's unobtrusive then I'll give it a solid chance but I'm so tired of the loot crate world we live in now.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    In the new Stream they talk a bit more about the microtransactions (skip to 2:12).
    Feels Monolith hates having to implement this too, and they say they balanced loot drops around the assumption of people playing offline and never buying any loot crates.

causality.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM8DC6th4OA
    Lawl, this is starting to make its rounds in some of the channels I follow with bonus forum drama sprinkles added. Jim Sterling has already said he plans on teeing off on this shit so I'm super looking forward to the next Jimquisition.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    This is weirdly the final straw for me. I submitted a request to refund my Shadow of War gold edition preorder from Bundle Stars.

I'm sure it's a fine game, but if this is the path that WB is forcing them down I just have to show it's one I don't support.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Eh for me I don't really give a fuck. It irked me at first but it sounds pretty ignorable and won't impact my game. Plus this game looks awesome and lovingly crafted so there's no way I'm not playing it asap

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    tl;dw for anyone who doesn't want to sit through a 10 minute YouTube video?

• Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular

Steam forum moderator chosen by WB has banned all negative discussion of the game/microtransactions on the steam forum, apparently by locking those types of threads and banning anyone who posts them. A different moderator actually hired by Steam basically says the company has the right to do that, stop complaining to him about it.

He also mentioned that there was a scandal about WB giving out advanced copies of the first game only if you promised to give it a good review, which I hadn't ever heard! That is crazy.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I heard about the earlier thing about review copies. I didn't really care then and I don't care now what's going on with the forums. That stuff isn't even run by the developer, so it's not like it impacts the game at all.

• Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    I've got enough of a backlog of games that I can afford to avoid ones where the company treats their customers like shit.

I really liked the first game though, so I am a bit sad to see the shitshow the second one is becoming.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    If I had snagged a code when it was on sale for 25% off, I probably would just keep it.

But since I missed that due to factually wrong expiration dates, I might actually be considering given this game a pass this year after hearing all this bullshit. :(

Was probably one of my most anticipated titles, too.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Khildith wrote: »

Steam forum moderator chosen by WB has banned all negative discussion of the game/microtransactions on the steam forum, apparently by locking those types of threads and banning anyone who posts them. A different moderator actually hired by Steam basically says the company has the right to do that, stop complaining to him about it.

He also mentioned that there was a scandal about WB giving out advanced copies of the first game only if you promised to give it a good review, which I hadn't ever heard! That is crazy.

I think I remember hearing similar things pop up with companies YouTubers now and again, but my Google-fu is failing me.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Duboobeebs is, as always, the worst.

On a more positive note I finally picked up Shadow of Mordor today and oh my goodness, this is a good game.
    RIP Ratbag, you were my favorite

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Duboobeebs is, as always, the worst.

On a more positive note I finally picked up Shadow of Mordor today and oh my goodness, this is a good game.
    RIP Ratbag, you were my favorite
    don't count him out just yet ;)

:winky:
  • Options
    Regarding the thread title, I don't think this ever got linked in here which will explain the sexy lady spider thing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWYOuVoDbXk

And just because: Jim going off on the micro-transactions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TXWdyrqFP8

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Game finished! Not 100% though because that be crazy.

The fact that the end boss is a literal QTE (and not even a hard one) and takes place immediately after boss two-of-three makes me feel like there must've been a whole third area of the game that was cut. Is also immensely disappointing after the lead-up to it.

Other than that, I can see why this game has a fanbase. Extremely solid third-person action, solid feeling of character progression. You eventually do hit a point of exponential power where death pretty much is only possible if you stopped paying attention to your health. I was a slow-motion god of death being able to clear out 20 orcs in Za Warudo, then continuing to Za Warudo with the bow ultimate skill for an extended period thanks to an epic rune, then even if that ran out my elf shots and focus were refilled for even more pewpew.

What's that, you say? You had a stronghold? That's cute.

I wonder how much they'll nerf your character power in Shadow of War.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    What did you think of the Orc vs. Orc melee before the final boss Dac? I thought that was the true final boss. I think I killed two, and then let da boyz handle the rest.

• Options
    It was fun, I guess sort of a test case for Shadow of War?

I got into the melee and started swinging around, and occasionally the screen would show my orc boyz finishing off a finger or two on the other side of the melee. I think I killed two personally as well, with the other three falling to the boyz.

Super easy, as you might expect. I thought it was mildly amusing that I had a guy at pixels of life before he managed to even turn around enough to do his fight intro. And then was immediately decapitated.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I assume you have the GOTY edition and if so I'd recommend the Bright Lord DLC to get a proper final boss fight.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I know it shouldnt affect it, but..blegh..all this microtransaction shit about Shadow of War killed all the interest i had in finishing Shadow of Mordor.

Also I agree with Jim Sterling that making Shelob the hot dark lady was just groany and uninspired.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I know it shouldnt affect it, but..blegh..all this microtransaction shit about Shadow of War killed all the interest i had in finishing Shadow of Mordor.

Also I agree with Jim Sterling that making Shelob the hot dark lady was just groany and uninspired.

At the time I just filed it under the same concept as Sauron showing up as a prettyboy elf when he was dealing with the Elves. Shelob is trying to bargain/manipulate Talion so of course she shows up as dark mistress 34. It was only when I was reminded of the larger context of the industry that I realized it was kinda trite.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    eh to me its fine. Shes like a dark galadriel and yeah its lame but it isnt quite breathes through skin Quiet lame

anyway to get back into the game, this looks amazing, the environments look stunning and just extremely detailed. I love the tar pits you can throw uruk into. I respect people who say they wont buy it out of principle because of the microtransactions, but theres just no way im not playing this game as soon as I can. Although I might try and hold off if the scorpio update is going to be worth it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR7PnWtUp6A

Prohass on
  • Options
    Also I probably should have looked into whether or not you can turn stealth on auto or something, doesn't really seem to hurt your speed much and uh...

The tip of my trigger finger is numb from clenching it hard for hours on end.

This is Clustertruck all over again.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    yeah the one thing I loved about mordor was that you could move pretty fast in stealth. Made it super fun, because usually I dislike stealth in games. I hope they keep that for the second game. Even though yeah it does start to hurt after a while so a setting where you could trigger it off and on would be nice

Prohass on
  • Options
    Sooooo, about that SoW forum moderator, Laptop65, who went all coo-coo locking threads? Yeeeaaaahhhh
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FyQh-QzRRo

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Just when I thought it would stop with the loot boxes making me sick.