Options

Hotel Torhammer [chat]

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    To be fair Gladiator brought back the Sword and Sandal genre, and put Crowe on the map.
    ... and nothing of value was gained.

Well I mean

Huh

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    dilophosaurus are the nerd of lizards.

(yes, I know, there's no evidence they had neck frills)

But in that documentary from a few years back the dilos they brought back from old DNA had frills.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Tolkien has a line about how some things in a story should remain unexplained, especially if they do have explanations, and it's perfect
    Tolkien was never around the modern Internet-connected nerd, though*. :D Although I suspect if he was, he would fiercely reiterate this sentiment.

* To be fair, one could argue that Tolkien was surrounded by the canon-obsessed curator-like nerds of his day.

Yeah Tolkien is a good case study. Meticulous individual who did many passes of his work to get them to exactly where he wanted to. But also one that just kept writing down everything because even though he didnt really want to release everything he still wanted to think out the stories of it all. And as a result his progeny are curating it and releasing it anyway heh.

Happens everywhere. I still look forward to things with Scott's name on it though... yall are just being petty. :)

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Berkeley has separate student positions for teaching and grading it was the best (cuz I didn't get a grading position I got a teaching one)

oh ew

grading >>> teaching

I had to do a little bit of teaching, mostly 1 on 1, during grad school, and I hate it. Like either you get something or you don't, and I have no idea how to push someone from not getting it to getting it.

haha I feel the exact opposite

teaching was fun and rewarding and interactive and i loved it and would have stayed on for a PhD just to try and become a professor one day if it weren't for how much i hated research (and also i was tired of being poor)

grading was work, and the worst kind of mind numbing make-work

Agreed. I always really liked tutoring or maaaybe small groups if they were motivated students. It's great to work one on one with someone and see the aha moment when something finally clicks. And it lets me be much more freeform, I don't need to worry about a curriculum or the timeframe, I can just go as fast or slow as necessary and we'll get done whatever we can get done in the time we have.

But grading was just so damn boring.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    oh hey mandatory password training due wednesday.

sure why not.

Also hilariously I called the ford dealership to see what they wanted to change that pulley and they wanted $250.

Fuck. That.

I'll risk fucking it up myself before I pay that.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

sure why not.

Also hilariously I called the ford dealership to see what they wanted to change that pulley and they wanted $250.

Fuck. That.

Its not the timing one is it? If it has timing marks on it make sure to mark em all!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    ITT Ah makes a blunderbuss that shoots only PA Pins

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

sure why not.

Fuck. That.

AH you guys are ballin now this means you can pay people to do things for you

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Did someone say Russell Crowe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xtVipOjTEE

Fleeb on
  • Options
    Best password policy is to

1) keep passwords short. 8 character requirement is enough for anyone, but 15 characters is just way too much. Set those as the bounds
    2) have a lot of rules about numbers and special characters that won't actually stop a password cracker but force the users to physically write down their password somewhere at their desks so they can remember

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Berkeley has separate student positions for teaching and grading it was the best (cuz I didn't get a grading position I got a teaching one)

oh ew

grading >>> teaching

I had to do a little bit of teaching, mostly 1 on 1, during grad school, and I hate it. Like either you get something or you don't, and I have no idea how to push someone from not getting it to getting it.

teaching was fun and rewarding and interactive and i loved it and would have stayed on for a PhD just to try and become a professor one day if it weren't for how much i hated research (and also i was tired of being poor)

Oh yeah I mean grading is pretty boring, but easy enough to do with a drink and a low-effort tv show going on in the background (I think I also used to sometimes grade during shadowrun in undergrad...) It's not difficult and it is a finite and distinct task that has a start and an end.

Teaching involves interacting with people I don't care about, while doing something I have no idea how to do (imparting some way of thinking into some thick skull, and figuring out when it manages to get through). It's always been totally unappealing to me and was always a strike against my original dream of being a professor.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Speaking of JP I liked how the novel spells out that the Dinos weren't actually dinosaurs but a theme park depiction of what people expected them to be. Basically mutants.

Like Henry Wu outright states in the beginning bit that they had to genetically modify the T-Rex because it originally moved too fast, to the point that it was unsettling

Havelock2.0 on
    You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

oh ew

grading >>> teaching

Fuuuuck no

My current job is literally 90% marking, 5% teaching and 5% Miscellaneous Other Shit and it's awful

Contact hours are great, I love the look on a student's face when they finally understand a concept that hasn't been clicking with them

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Gladiator sequel should be about the Crisis of the Third Century

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

sure why not.

Fuck. That.

Fuck. That. I replaced this SAME THING on a truck Saturday. It's not my fault the Mustang has an engine bay as small as my dick.

• Options
    Aw all these nice people who enjoy seeing enlightenment on students' faces.
    Yeah idk, the thing about being a sort of low-empathy individual is that I definitely do not care whether these people understand or not, except that I find it disappointing when they are dumb, I guess.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

1) keep passwords short. 8 character requirement is enough for anyone, but 15 characters is just way too much. Set those as the bounds
    2) have a lot of rules about numbers and special characters that won't actually stop a password cracker but force the users to physically write down their password somewhere at their desks so they can remember

this checks out.

as an aside, I use an 8 character minimum, 255 maximum, caps, lowercase, numbers and symbols policy... but I count space as a symbol and I strongly encourage passphrases.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I don't like grading this paper.

This student already didn't get a good grade on his exam and complained about it. And his paper is not terrible, if the assignment was to write about what he wrote about. However, it just plainly isn't the assignment I gave and if I give it a bad grade he will whine again, and I will feel bad. I hate giving out bad grades, it makes me feel like crap and that's largely because people take it so poorly.

I never had too much of an issue with that. I didn't choose what grades to give the students. They get what they've earned. I tried to be generous, but that only goes so far. If the answer was flat out wrong, there wasn't much I could do for them.

it's so much easier for people to be shittier about grades in a Philosophy class.

Because they are like "but like, I said a thing, that's all I'm supposed to do right?"

People were shitty about their grades all the time for me, too.

I'm not saying that it's shocking people care deeply or are surprised when they get a bad grade. It's just not something you should feel bad about. There's a certain amount of subjectivity in grading a paper, but you're not intentionally giving them low grades because you have an icy heart.

I mean, he's not, but

I'll admit that I did this a few times. We caught a couple of blatant cheaters printing out the same pdf with different names, and the prof decided not to do anything about it. I spoke with them about it a couple of times, and they kept doing it. After the second time it happened I would grade them as low as I possibly could and I would delight in it. They'd still get the points that they had "earned" but I never gave them any of the wiggle room I would give other students.

I totally understand if people work together on assignments they technically aren't supposed to, but when you're giving me literally the exact same work you're just insulting my intelligence.

Wait jeez what level of schooling was this?

Repeated plagiarism like that would normally get someone either a fail of the course at minimum or expelled.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

oh ew

grading >>> teaching

Agreed. I always really liked tutoring or maaaybe small groups if they were motivated students. It's great to work one on one with someone and see the aha moment when something finally clicks. And it lets me be much more freeform, I don't need to worry about a curriculum or the timeframe, I can just go as fast or slow as necessary and we'll get done whatever we can get done in the time we have.

But grading was just so damn boring.

The reviews for the course last semester were basically "omg wtf clearly the TA and teacher don't talk about grades ahhh"

and

"Shiv is basically the best teacher ever"

Well ok some of the reviews didn't say the second one, but most did, and I also got emails about how I was, so

• Options

oh ew

grading >>> teaching

Oh yeah I mean grading is pretty boring, but easy enough to do with a drink and a low-effort tv show going on in the background (I think I also used to sometimes grade during shadowrun in undergrad...) It's not difficult and it is a finite and distinct task that has a start and an end.

Teaching involves interacting with people I don't care about, while doing something I have no idea how to do (imparting some way of thinking into some thick skull, and figuring out when it manages to get through). It's always been totally unappealing to me and was always a strike against my original dream of being a professor.

haha, both of our dreams of becoming a professor crushed by completely opposite issues

you are the yin to my yang

or something idk what those words actually mean but it feels right

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »

this checks out.

as an aside, I use an 8 character minimum, 255 maximum, caps, lowercase, numbers and symbols policy... but I count space as a symbol and I strongly encourage passphrases.

"My password1" :)

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

sure why not.

Fuck. That.

Oh the richer you get the more useless you become? :P

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I much prefer teaching.

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

sure why not.

Fuck. That.

your blue collar work ethic has no place in the investor class narwhal begone

• Options
    I keep telling you people

16+ characters in dead languages!

My password is in Etruscan

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I don't like grading this paper.

This student already didn't get a good grade on his exam and complained about it. And his paper is not terrible, if the assignment was to write about what he wrote about. However, it just plainly isn't the assignment I gave and if I give it a bad grade he will whine again, and I will feel bad. I hate giving out bad grades, it makes me feel like crap and that's largely because people take it so poorly.

I never had too much of an issue with that. I didn't choose what grades to give the students. They get what they've earned. I tried to be generous, but that only goes so far. If the answer was flat out wrong, there wasn't much I could do for them.

it's so much easier for people to be shittier about grades in a Philosophy class.

Because they are like "but like, I said a thing, that's all I'm supposed to do right?"

People were shitty about their grades all the time for me, too.

I'm not saying that it's shocking people care deeply or are surprised when they get a bad grade. It's just not something you should feel bad about. There's a certain amount of subjectivity in grading a paper, but you're not intentionally giving them low grades because you have an icy heart.

I mean, he's not, but

I'll admit that I did this a few times. We caught a couple of blatant cheaters printing out the same pdf with different names, and the prof decided not to do anything about it. I spoke with them about it a couple of times, and they kept doing it. After the second time it happened I would grade them as low as I possibly could and I would delight in it. They'd still get the points that they had "earned" but I never gave them any of the wiggle room I would give other students.

I totally understand if people work together on assignments they technically aren't supposed to, but when you're giving me literally the exact same work you're just insulting my intelligence.

Wait jeez what level of schooling was this?

Repeated plagiarism like that would normally get someone either a fail of the course at minimum or expelled.

Undergrad. I was teaching mostly sophomores and some freshmen, it was a kind of intro theory course that all CS students were required to take.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

sure why not.

Fuck. That.

Fuck. That. I replaced this SAME THING on a truck Saturday. It's not my fault the Mustang has an engine bay as small as my dick.

Yeah but unlike your dick it seemingly has a function...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

sure why not.

Fuck. That.

no they're both equally good at fucking things.

• Options

oh ew

grading >>> teaching

haha, both of our dreams of becoming a professor crushed by completely opposite issues

Oh no that didn't crush my dreams of becoming a professor; realizing that I *also* hate 1. research and 2. the way academic labs are structured is what crushed my dreams. However I'm basically ok with it now, except when I see people getting tenure-track jobs and feel a prick of irrational and malicious envy.

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

sure why not.

Fuck. That.

your blue collar work ethic has no place in the investor class narwhal begone

My blue collar what what?

I don't recognize those next two words.

• Options

sure why not.

Fuck. That.

Tbf you were fucking your wife's car earlier

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

sure why not.

Fuck. That.

Statement not based on evidence.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Teach a man to fish and he'll pay you once.
    Sell a man a fish a day and he'll pay you until he dies.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    In order to log in, please drink the verification can. Then, use the tab to draw blood and place a single drop of blood onto the keys in the correct order to pass the password dna verification test.

• Options
    edited March 2017

oh ew

grading >>> teaching

Oh no that didn't crush my dreams of becoming a professor; realizing that I *also* hate 1. research and 2. the way academic labs are structured is what crushed my dreams. However I'm basically ok with it now, except when I see people getting tenure-track jobs and feel a prick of irrational and malicious envy.

yeah i don't really regret not doing it. yeah i would have probably been more happy with my career, eventually, but it would have meant delaying kids, having no money for longer, suffering through a phd program, etc.

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    The thing that sucks about grading is that there's an expectation that you have to burn your own personal time at home after hours to grade the mountainous stacks of papers. This means even when you go "home", you aren't off the clock. You're just doing unpaid labor. In fact, some folks even HIRE graders, which means teachers are losing money to get back their free time.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    i always use shit passwords at work because they make me change it every three months and i can't repeat an old password ever again...there is no way i'm making a new GOOD password every three months and taking the time to remember it

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    BEAST! wrote: »
    i always use shit passwords at work because they make me change it every three months and i can't repeat an old password ever again...there is no way i'm making a new GOOD password every three months and taking the time to remember it

i increment the number at the end and circle back to 1 after 3 cuz the system doesn't say i can't do it

This discussion has been closed.