Options

Hotel Torhammer [chat]

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »
    i always use shit passwords at work because they make me change it every three months and i can't repeat an old password ever again...there is no way i'm making a new GOOD password every three months and taking the time to remember it

::hacks into Beast's workplace server::

Enter username

DRUNKBEAST

Enter password

EATTHEBOOTY

Access Granted

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    i always use shit passwords at work because they make me change it every three months and i can't repeat an old password ever again...there is no way i'm making a new GOOD password every three months and taking the time to remember it

Lucky

I have to do a new one every month

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Oh, is it time for a new password?

March17, with 0 padded until you hit min length.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I use an algorithm to mentally generate individual passwords for each site. I use a separate, easy to change algorithm for work because they make me change my password every 3 or 4 months.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Maybe I can quit my job and start a magazine called "guns and gardening"

That seems like it could hit a lot of markets.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Keeping a note with passwords at your desk seems like a terrible idea.

Or was that the joke.jpg?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Definitely been using a base password plus year and quarter for places where I have to change passwords that often.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    A couple years ago they changed the password restrictions for our AD passwords and so my existing passwords were no longer valid.

I spent over 10 minutes coming up with more and more complex passwords that it kept saying were invalid. It wouldn't accept anything, including a random character password over 20 characters long. I finally just did a two word rude phrase in frustration, which it accepted.

So that + incrementing numbers has been my password ever since because now I'm scared to try anything else for fear I'll just lock myself out permanently.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Maybe I can quit my job and start a magazine called "guns and gardening"

That seems like it could hit a lot of markets.

gty2ue4ztyky.jpg

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    A couple years ago they changed the password restrictions for our AD passwords and so my existing passwords were no longer valid.

I spent over 10 minutes coming up with more and more complex passwords that it kept saying were invalid. It wouldn't accept anything, including a random character password over 20 characters long. I finally just did a two word rude phrase in frustration, which it accepted.

So that + incrementing numbers has been my password ever since because now I'm scared to try anything else for fear I'll just lock myself out permanently.

CleavelandSteamer2017

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Oooh, someone got us a rull nice closeup of the Falcon 9 with EchoStar XXIII on top! :)

xvdLPGk.jpg

Conspicuously absent: Landing legs and grid fins. This booster ain't coming back, it's got too much lifting to do. Sacrificing itself for the greater good!

Launch window opens at 01:34 EDT, so unless I stay up late I won't be covering this one live. An excellent launch to watch for you West Coast folk (10:34pm), or you early-morning Europeans (05:34 UTC).

Weather is so-so for this launch window tonight though, but failing that it will try again 48 hours and 1 minute later :P

But anywho, there she is in all her glory! Wave goodbye when you watch the launch, because there will be NO landing attempt!

As I mentioned earlier, this is the 2nd of up to 5 launches from Cape Canaveral this month, which is pretty freaking cool. Space Coast is back, babay!

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I keep telling you people

16+ characters in dead languages!

My password is in Etruscan

Bad policy. Dead Languages never change, making them susceptible to appropriate dictionary attacks.

• Options
    Butts

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    you should all just come up with an appropriate passphrase, use it to lock your one password vault, and then let your shit be truly random generated for you everywhere.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    I have too many passwords.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    my password is the source code for a Malbolge program that prints "password1"

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

Not enough hoes

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Keeping a note with passwords at your desk seems like a terrible idea.

Or was that the joke.jpg?

The two requirements that I mentioned (low min/low max length and lots of arbitrary rules) are both really common and really awful practices.

• Options

Not enough hoes

Z3r0H03S2017

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I'm glad today is Friday (For me, my week ends today). I don't think things are going to get any better, really, but at least I don't have to get out of bed tomorrow.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Malbolge sounds like it was written by Maelbolgia so that none of the agents of Heaven could ever hack into Hell's shit

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Do you guys have a master document with your accounts, passwords, etc for your next of kin should you get hit by a bus?

• Options
    had to take a password class today and it was pretty much

"don't use the following password: gundam wing best anime for cats"

"instead use: Gund@mW!nGB3st?nim34C@ts"

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    Do you guys have a master document with your accounts, passwords, etc for your next of kin should you get hit by a bus?

yes.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »

Malbolge sounds like it was written by Maelbolgia so that none of the agents of Heaven could ever hack into Hell's shit

It's pretty amazing.
    Malbolge figures out which instruction to execute by taking the value [c], adding the value of c to it, and taking the remainder when this is divided by 94. The final result tells the interpreter what to do[...]

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    you should all just come up with an appropriate passphrase, use it to lock your one password vault, and then let your shit be truly random generated for you everywhere.
    i do this for all things except the login to my stupid work computer

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Hm I just don't understand how seriously the government sponsor wants this proposal to be in this horrifying format.
    As it is, I have a nice proposal that you can read through and follow logically. As they (maybe) want it to be, I'd have to add ~10 pages of entirely redundant shit . It probably doesn't matter either way, but it feels so bad to turn a good document into a bad one that I keep hoping they don't really mean it?

I guess they probably do, though, or, at the very least, they won't hold it against us if we follow their horrible structure and they might if we don't. Grosssssssssss

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Lucky

I have to do a new one every month

who are these fuckfaces in charge of these policies so I can take a dump in their office

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    TL DR wrote: »

I have a post-it that says FIRE MY HARD DRIVES INTO THE SUN.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    i do this for all things except the login to my stupid work computer

I want touchID and similar tools to be accepted for AD authentication so badly. fuck having to type those passwords in at all unless you are going in through a website or a new machine.

Validate the computer, auth with biometrics, reset passwords only in the event of breaches.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

"leet substitution" on passwords add basically 0 complexity to brute force hacking

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    It strikes me that too few programs actually say "Access Granted" when you log in

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

"leet substitution" on passwords add basically 0 complexity to brute force hacking
    And yet, shitty office IT departments persisted...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

plus the removal of spaces from this made it less secure than the first option, though that first option could stand to add a capital letter or two, and not be in reference to the 1:40 scale statue sitting on their desk.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of biometrics because I'd rather tell someone my password at gunpoint than have my hand cut off or my eye gouged out.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Lol

Incognito mode circumvents NYTimes paywall

Rekt

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

This sounds like... the opposite of correct

the entropy of gundam wing best anime for cats is fucking enormous, if you add an exclamation on the end it's like heat death of the universe for a regular PC to crack

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    it feels so bad to turn a good document into a bad one that I keep hoping they don't really mean it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhYJS80MgYA

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Rami wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of biometrics because I'd rather tell someone my password at gunpoint than have my hand cut off or my eye gouged out.

you are probably not that important. (edit: not you specifically, speaking to the more broad you most of the time)

That is pretty much the counterpoint to every paranoid person I have ever met. What are you doing / what do you have access to that justifies the level of effort needed to bypass your security measures?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

The trick is to never be given access to anything valuable

can you feel the struggle within?
This discussion has been closed.