Options

Hotel Torhammer [chat]

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    wait to flip flops count as shoes?

If so I own two pairs of shoes.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    taking holiday days for the sake of having to take them is the worst

it's like having a weekend where no one else is free

We get floating holidays we have to schedule like vacation hours, excepting they cannot be saved year-to-year. But also we have strict guidelines on how many can take off at a time so I end up burning holidays "just because" while simultaneously missing out many of the common school-out holidays because everybody wants them.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular

No

They are flip flops

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    yeah for a while it used to be cheaper to build your own PC

not really any more

I imagine the market is way smaller than it was.

Yeah. Plus warranties are better when you have one number to call.

though I'd much rather deal with Corsair/Asus/Intel/Nvidia directly for warranty stuff than with HP or whoever

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    synd do you know if the iphone encrypts some or all of its RAM?

the main ram never touches the auth process, there is encrypted RAM in the secure enclave.

I hope that covers the memory location for $incorrectPasswordAttempts

pretty sure everything from number of attempts to what was tried is stored there (if they store it at all).

It was part of what tripped up the FBI - they couldn't trick the device into thinking only 1 attempt was made because the memory was inaccessible on the auth process.

Yeah.

I want to know how the tools they ended up using work. They got leaked but I can't find any breakdowns on the route they use to hack in.

I mean, what was interesting about most of those leaks is that Apple said that the overwhelming majority of the exploits in those leaked docs were patched out a long time ago... it is entirely possible the solution that worked on the san bernadino phone wouldn't work any more anyways.

This is your daily reminder to not put off updating your personal phones or tablets or desktops to the newest shit when it comes out unless you are locked into your current version for compatibility reasons - gotta keep patching those holes.

yeah I knew that phone was pretty old, I'm just curious on what method they used

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

No

They are flip flops

then I own one pair of shoes.

And they've spent the last year in the woods and they're on my feet in the office right now.

One has a hole in it from a fire.

I somehow still work here.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Thing about building your own PC - if you want to use it as a game machine - is that you typically don't have to spend that much to get something that is roughly on par with current consoles, and you can try and keep in mind an upgrade path so two or three years down the line you'll be in an even better place

If you want to get The Absolute Best Right Now then, yeah, it's going to be expensive

• Options
    (Man that whole Apple/FBI case really annoyed me. Both sides making stupid arguments in bad faith.)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also y'all would be proud of me. I'm going a completely non lethal method to get rid of moles in the yard.

I'm doing four of those sonic thingies to drive them out so I don't have to put down anything toxic.

AKA

Give my neighbors moles.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

not really any more

Yeah. Plus warranties are better when you have one number to call.

though I'd much rather deal with Corsair/Asus/Intel/Nvidia directly for warranty stuff than with HP or whoever

I suppose.... I got an extended warranty on this one though as they were trying to get money out of me. Well jokes on them. They had to upgrade my video card last time and I am about ready to get a new cpu out of them soon heh.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also y'all would be proud of me. I'm going a completely non lethal method to get rid of moles in the yard.

I'm doing four of those sonic thingies to drive them out so I don't have to put down anything toxic.

AKA

Give my neighbors moles.

you bet your sweet liberal ass I did.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I heard dynamite works too AH

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    RE: the JonTron stuff I posted late last night.

• Options
    I feel bad for the moles though cause they've got three directions to go leaving my yard and two of them are certain death.

• Options
    I wore flip flops and jeans when I was the adopted American in a random stag party I befriended in Liverpool.

I got made fun of for a bit for that, and was very confused because it's normal in CA to see that

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options

AKA

Give my neighbors moles.

I love non lethal methods that just spread it to someone else. It's the most american thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I'm saving that dynamite for a special occasion.

• Options

AKA

Give my neighbors moles.

I love non lethal methods that just spread it to someone else. It's the most american thing.

Somebody Else's Problem Non Lethal Mole Trap by GardenHome

• Options

AKA

Give my neighbors moles.

Like avoiding my tax burdens!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Can't you get a 1060 for 250ish,a good i5 for the same, then spend a hundred ish each on a psu and ram and mobo and be running max settings on most stuff these days? I haven't hit anything my i74770k and 1060 can't max out.

yeah but that's still $800 before case, monitor, and OS.

edit: plus storage.

Storage is also cheap but you can repurpose most of that too from older builds. Cases are dirt cheap if you don't want fancy. Os is probably free since you probably already have some version of Windows. And this is for current top of the line. You can go way cheaper and still max out most stuff. Get a older processor for instance. Save a hundred bucks or so.

It's still way cheaper to build your own than buy a pre-built. Unless you count hours of labor at this point.

SniperGuy on
  • Options

"Fishing"

• Options

"Fishing"

"Butts"

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

Anytime I've heard anything about Jontron it reinforces my already low opinion of him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    For real though before I die I'm going to try dynamite fishing once.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

not really any more

It's still cheaper to build ("build" being like order it through ibuypower and have them assemble and ship it) than going to like best buy because the store bought models skimp and put in garbage ram or weak PSUs that make it hard to upgrade later.

it's always cheaper to DIY

they need to make a profit

It's the rent vs buy thing where people will scream at each other than all things being equal, rent is cheaper because ?????

no, profit is baked into that god damned equation

Occasionally places like ibuypower will run coupons and deals to get rid of old stock, but unless you're doing 100% comparison on all components, chances are they're skimping out somewhere. Typically you'll see it in the Motherboard, RAM, or PSU, and occasionally get a stupidly non-expandable case.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    For real though shortly before I die in a boating accident I'm going to try dynamite fishing once.

• Options
    For real though cause of death is I'm going to try dynamite fishing once.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2017
    (Man that whole Apple/FBI case really annoyed me. Both sides making stupid arguments in bad faith.)

yes, but Apple was very much arguing in bad faith for the benefit of the consumer as opposed to the FBI who was trying to say that the government having the keys to the castle is good for everyone...

Like, fuck the entire argument the government was making and thumbs up to the broader tech world telling the gov't to pound sand during that

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Anytime I've heard anything about Jontron it reinforces my already low opinion of him.

I fail to see why I should care about him at all tbh

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    this ost file is 67gb what in the actual fuck

• Options

"Here lies well some of not chuck, he didn't realize how close the before I die and dynamite fishing were, much like he didn't notice how close the open flame and the dynamite was."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sniper no Sniping!!

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

This is the correct approach. For some reason people thing random you tubers and people shouting on Twitter have more influence than they actually do.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

not really any more

It's still cheaper to build ("build" being like order it through ibuypower and have them assemble and ship it) than going to like best buy because the store bought models skimp and put in garbage ram or weak PSUs that make it hard to upgrade later.

it's always cheaper to DIY

they need to make a profit

It's the rent vs buy thing where people will scream at each other than all things being equal, rent is cheaper because ?????

no, profit is baked into that god damned equation

Occasionally places like ibuypower will run coupons and deals to get rid of old stock, but unless you're doing 100% comparison on all components, chances are they're skimping out somewhere. Typically you'll see it in the Motherboard, RAM, or PSU, and occasionally get a stupidly non-expandable case.

and this is why it's always more expensive to roll your own

if you're tech savvy enough to go for it you look at that $50 mobo and just can't pull the trigger, you gotta get the $100 one

can't sacrifice the quality of your sweet rig

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Building your own PC these is too easy anyway. The last one I built worked perfectly on the first boot, which is stupid.

Kids these days. It should be at least a day, preferably a whole weekend of maddening heartache and despair wondering why your PC is crashing after 13 minutes but when you turn the case on its side, it seems to work?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

This is the correct approach. For some reason people thing random you tubers and people shouting on Twitter have more influence than they actually do.

honestly I have to re-google JonTron like every few months when y'all bring him up.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

I'd watch that

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    chicken in a can
    its the tuna of the land
    so lend me a hand
    and be my friend
    as we eat this
    chicken in a can

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    credeiki wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Dunno who here is interested in White Wolf stuff, but the current Bundle of Holding (https://bundleofholding.com/ ) is Changeling: The Lost, with the 1E World of Darkness book. Not sure what edition or if it's oWoD or nWoD or NEW new WoD or WoD Classic or whatever flavor it is. But check it out if you're into that goth shit. :D

changeling isn't goth shit >:[

But also probably best to hold off since the new edition is coming out soon and it's probably pretty good (but these books are also pretty good and some of the additional rulebooks are actually pretty useful+describe neat alternative contracts and also more goblin contracts)

edit: (this is nWoD but not new new WoD ie no god machine)
    Man, all the goths played it at my FLGS. This is what they get into when Vampires are too lamestream, and they want to play a game ironically. "LOL Fairies, but fairy tales are actually some dark shit, yo."

Bundle of Holding is like Humble Bundle. You buy it when you explicitly want to purchase old games at discount prices with some money going to charity. This isn't to appeal to people who are going to buy the latest and greatest RPG books.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    synd do you know if the iphone encrypts some or all of its RAM?

the main ram never touches the auth process, there is encrypted RAM in the secure enclave.

I hope that covers the memory location for $incorrectPasswordAttempts

pretty sure everything from number of attempts to what was tried is stored there (if they store it at all).

It was part of what tripped up the FBI - they couldn't trick the device into thinking only 1 attempt was made because the memory was inaccessible on the auth process.

Yeah.

I want to know how the tools they ended up using work. They got leaked but I can't find any breakdowns on the route they use to hack in.

I mean, what was interesting about most of those leaks is that Apple said that the overwhelming majority of the exploits in those leaked docs were patched out a long time ago... it is entirely possible the solution that worked on the san bernadino phone wouldn't work any more anyways.

This is your daily reminder to not put off updating your personal phones or tablets or desktops to the newest shit when it comes out unless you are locked into your current version for compatibility reasons - gotta keep patching those holes.

I don't update on purpose

I leave my videos and photos open to anyone who wants to look at them or share them

I have several thousand tasteful nudes of myself in there

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.