Options

Hotel Torhammer [chat]

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Biometric spoofing techniques already exist; people make fake fingertips and irises (contacts) and even faces (...depending on what system you use, you can just fool the image matching with a paper mask...). In these ways, biometrics almost feel less secure than passwords.

You can also, as with any system, try to just hack into the actual system and put in data for a fake employee or whatever, but of course at that point you have also bypassed password protection.

or you can just hit the system administrator with a pipe until they log you in as an admin

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Hmm so if I get a new desktop and attempt to build it myself, and I'm shooting for under $1,000.00 what's the odds that I can craft a machine that is rul gud

1k will get you rull good but not best of the best

also depends if you want to include a monitor in that price

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Hmm so if I get a new desktop and attempt to build it myself, and I'm shooting for under $1,000.00 what's the odds that I can craft a machine that is rul gud

Yeah, Havelock, what are you intending to re-use from your current PC?

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    obviously the best way to deal with security is to go hard in the other direction and make our passwords public.
    the wh press secretary is way ahead of you

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Isn't there a whole thread on that in the tech forum?

Yeah but I know chat peeps post specs in here every so often and I wanted to get an idea first.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I can't wait to play this game. This weekend I should have it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    $700 gets you medium-low components

$1000 gets you medium-high components

$1400 gets you high-end components

If you need a monitor, add another $300+ into that quote.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »

Yeah, Havelock, what are you intending to re-use from your current PC?

I'm keeping the keyboard, mouse, and headphones, potentially the monitor as well.

I'm just looking for a whole new desktop

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the little known man in the mirror attack.

Where a malicious 3rd party poses as you in mirror until you no longer recognize who you are anymore and private information loses its meaning

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    aUsuQWS.jpg

What I love about depictions of the future is that it's always rooted in whatever is seen as bleeding edge in the present.

Like, in Alien, the computers are loud, monochrome monstrosities.

Minority Report had motion controls, but still on static displays.

For me, a truly 'futuristic' method of interacting with a computer interface is through projected holograms, like what Stark does in the Iron Man films. Like, having computers where the user doesn't have to wear anything, or modify themselves in any way, seems like the most likely future point.

Although I guess implants for all for purely mental communication is a possibility.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Ok. I'm aiming for high end / longevity so looks like this'll have to get tabled until I get a promotion or get comfortable eating sandwiches every night for dinner

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »

Where a malicious 3rd party poses as you in mirror until you no longer recognize who you are anymore and private information loses its meaning
    No message could be any clearer...

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    synd do you know if the iphone encrypts some or all of its RAM?

the main ram never touches the auth process, there is encrypted RAM in the secure enclave.

I hope that covers the memory location for $incorrectPasswordAttempts

pretty sure everything from number of attempts to what was tried is stored there (if they store it at all).

It was part of what tripped up the FBI - they couldn't trick the device into thinking only 1 attempt was made because the memory was inaccessible on the auth process.

Yeah.

I want to know how the tools they ended up using work. They got leaked but I can't find any breakdowns on the route they use to hack in.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Work rejected my application for time off

I have the days to take, but they said I can only take up to ten at a time and I'd applied for 13 as I was going to the states

Well golly that sure has killed any chances of me ever staying late again

What the shit.

That is HORSEshit.

I'm quite annoyed

Partly for the bullshit bureaucracy, partly because I've 3 extra holiday days that I wanted to use on an expensive transatlantic flight rather than like, dicking about at home

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Just look at yourself​and realize the change <in your passwords>

• Options

Just look at yourself​and realize the change <in your passwords>
    New Password:
    Na na naaaa na na naaaa
    Na naaa na naaa naaaaaa

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    taking holiday days for the sake of having to take them is the worst

it's like having a weekend where no one else is free

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Ok. I'm aiming for high end / longevity so looks like this'll have to get tabled until I get a promotion or get comfortable eating sandwiches every night for dinner

I just did a built for a friend that came out to about $750

reused case
    new series mid-level intel CPU: 200
    middle of the road mobo: 100
    16 gigs RAM: 100
    500 gig SSD (not the new SUPERFAST nvme ones): 150
    graphics card (sold her my used 970): 150
    power supply: 50

which, the used graphics card is cheating... a 1060 is compable and about $250

• Options
    Dunno who here is interested in White Wolf stuff, but the current Bundle of Holding (https://bundleofholding.com/ ) is Changeling: The Lost, with the 1E World of Darkness book. Not sure what edition or if it's oWoD or nWoD or NEW new WoD or WoD Classic or whatever flavor it is. But check it out if you're into that goth shit. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Like say $600-$700 range

1) do you have a monitor?

2) do you have an OS?

If 1 and 2 are both yes than the odds are reasonable.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah Haves if you're looking for "I can comfortably bump up the sliders to awesome boob physics level graphics" you should try and budget closer to $1400 if possible.

PC master race my ass.

• Options
    This PSA brought to you by notorious hacker Michael Jackson

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Installed updates please type in password before using fingerprint unlock...

No Macbook.... No! Bad Macbook!

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Yeah Haves if you're looking for "I can comfortably bump up the sliders to awesome two body problem physics level graphics" you should try and budget closer to $1400 if possible.

• Options
    yeah for a while it used to be cheaper to build your own PC

not really any more

I imagine the market is way smaller than it was.

• Options
    Also in addition to my rocket stove and camping trip this weekend my boss is out of town ALL NEXT WEEK so actually things are starting to turn Millhouse.

Just need to get wife's car fixed up and honestly I'll be ready to put on my drinkin' shoes.

• Options
    I'm the worst with secrets, you threaten to hit me I'll give you admin passwords, for $200 I'll give you the nuclear launch codes, if a russian spy wanted to compromise me by seducing me she could be entirely up front about being a spy it wouldnt change things

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also in addition to my rocket stove and camping trip this weekend my boss is out of town ALL NEXT WEEK so actually things are starting to turn Millhouse.

Just need to get wife's car fixed up and honestly I'll be ready to put on my drinkin' shoes.

what's the difference between your regular shoes or drinking shoes?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

not really any more

It's still cheaper to build ("build" being like order it through ibuypower and have them assemble and ship it) than going to like best buy because the store bought models skimp and put in garbage ram or weak PSUs that make it hard to upgrade later.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Can't you get a 1060 for 250ish,a good i5 for the same, then spend a hundred ish each on a psu and ram and mobo and be running max settings on most stuff these days? I haven't hit anything my i74770k and 1060 can't max out.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

what's the difference between your regular shoes or drinking shoes?

I...

God DAMMIT PREACH YES I ONLY ACTUALLY LITERALLY OWN ONE PAIR OF SHOES OKAY!

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

not really any more

Yeah. Plus warranties are better when you have one number to call.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dunno who here is interested in White Wolf stuff, but the current Bundle of Holding (https://bundleofholding.com/ ) is Changeling: The Lost, with the 1E World of Darkness book. Not sure what edition or if it's oWoD or nWoD or NEW new WoD or WoD Classic or whatever flavor it is. But check it out if you're into that goth shit. :D

changeling isn't goth shit >:[

But also probably best to hold off since the new edition is coming out soon and it's probably pretty good (but these books are also pretty good and some of the additional rulebooks are actually pretty useful+describe neat alternative contracts and also more goblin contracts)

edit: (this is nWoD but not new new WoD ie no god machine)

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    I just sold an i5 2500k/8gb/geforce 760 system for $300 and they play battlefield 1 no problem on it

it's not going to run in 4k ultra or anything but it still looks/runs better than the consoles

• Options
    edited March 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Can't you get a 1060 for 250ish,a good i5 for the same, then spend a hundred ish each on a psu and ram and mobo and be running max settings on most stuff these days? I haven't hit anything my i74770k and 1060 can't max out.

yeah but that's still $800 before case, monitor, and OS.

edit: plus storage.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Shaming achieved.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah Haves if you're looking for "I can comfortably bump up the sliders to awesome boob physics level graphics" you should try and budget closer to $1400 if possible.

PC master race my ass.

Yeah when I was working for the State at a higher level 3 years ago I could have afforded it in a lol fuck it way but I came back at a lower class level due to voluntary separation so I'm going to have to wait a few months and save up.

I'm still eating sandwiches for dinner though. I like sandwiches

• Options
    Also y'all would be proud of me. I'm going a completely non lethal method to get rid of moles in the yard.

I'm doing four of those sonic thingies to drive them out so I don't have to put down anything toxic.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    synd do you know if the iphone encrypts some or all of its RAM?

the main ram never touches the auth process, there is encrypted RAM in the secure enclave.

I hope that covers the memory location for $incorrectPasswordAttempts

pretty sure everything from number of attempts to what was tried is stored there (if they store it at all).

It was part of what tripped up the FBI - they couldn't trick the device into thinking only 1 attempt was made because the memory was inaccessible on the auth process.

Yeah.

I want to know how the tools they ended up using work. They got leaked but I can't find any breakdowns on the route they use to hack in.

I mean, what was interesting about most of those leaks is that Apple said that the overwhelming majority of the exploits in those leaked docs were patched out a long time ago... it is entirely possible the solution that worked on the san bernadino phone wouldn't work any more anyways.

This is your daily reminder to not put off updating your personal phones or tablets or desktops to the newest shit when it comes out unless you are locked into your current version for compatibility reasons - gotta keep patching those holes.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
This discussion has been closed.