Options

Raindrop/ [JOB] talk/ Typin' up reports in the hotbox

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Was it their first time hearing of Texas' existence?

cuz I figure that's pretty much common knowledge about texans.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I haven't really convinced my supervisor to let me search and execute my own orders except when WFM is down. However, I have found a new way to use my new power: Working two orders at once. This is stuff we used to do all the time at Verizon. In fact we would do 3 or 5 orders at a time before we had WFM, but WFM doesn't seem to do well with that kind of multi-tasking so we had to shave it down to 2 tasks at a time. Once we switched companies any multi tasking was crushed because we couldn't get orders except through WFM.

You might ask why or how you could work multiple orders at once: it's simply a matter of having to wait for software. The slower the software is, the more tasks you could theoretically work at once. If it takes 10 min for a reflow to go through, then while you're waiting that 10 minutes you work another order, possibly reflowing it too, and then work a third. Now that was Verizon software; new company doesn't have a reflow function, but you still have to wait for the software to load, especially when it's being particularly laggy (company grows itself exponentially but doesn't consider whether it should invest in more servers AHOY!). Rather than waiting impatiently for a load screen, I can now swap windows to another order, do something on it, and then switch to the first order. With practice I'll probably be able to pull of 100 tasks per day now. That's sure to piss someone off which might get me noticed enough to either have something changed in company process or even put me in a position to do something less dumb with my time.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    TIL about meth mites.

Meth mites are a rare condition where, if someone takes way, WAY too freaking much meth (defined as "at least five times a week for at least six straight months") and/or way too much other drugs, they start hallucinating that they're filled with parasites and/or covered with bugs. Medically it's termed "formication" or Delusional Parasitosis/Ekbom's syndrome.

Had another person come in complaining of being filled with worms (someone other than the bucket-of-poop person) but this person brought bits of flesh that had been scraped off chest sores.

Unsure if this is less bad or worse than a bucket of poop.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I want to say less bad, but on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is a bucket of poop it's like a 9.9

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    This reinforces my already strong decision to not do meth.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So a position I'm after had more than three hundred applicants, which is why I hadn't heard back (and won't until next week, which may be optimistic). Guess that's what happens with library work that doesn't require a MLIS, but hopefully having one and some library experience pushes me into the "interview these people" pool.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    New work shoes and my plantar faciitis is gone. Feels good man.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'll dress a bit nicer on Friday. By which I mean toss on a jacket over a shirt and jeans. Coworker has decided to mimic me by wearing a tie and short sleeve shirt. He looks like he's going to a Bestbuy interview.

CLaRg4dl.png

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    So a position I'm after had more than three hundred applicants, which is why I hadn't heard back (and won't until next week, which may be optimistic). Guess that's what happens with library work that doesn't require a MLIS, but hopefully having one and some library experience pushes me into the "interview these people" pool.

Library experience is exceedingly rare and valuable for non-MLIS positions. Especially if your library system posts jobs on the city or county job site, since the vast majority of applicants on those sites are applying for every job on the site whether they're qualified or not.

There are still some managers who don't want to hire someone with a degree for a non-degreed position because they don't want to have to rehire once they get a librarian position. But now that we're recovering from the Librarian Glut of '09, I think it's more common for managers to prefer having a really qualified circ clerk for six months rather than trying to hire some rando and hope for the best. Good luck!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I'll dress a bit nicer on Friday. By which I mean toss on a jacket over a shirt and jeans. Coworker has decided to mimic me by wearing a tie and short sleeve shirt. He looks like he's going to a Bestbuy interview.

CLaRg4dl.png

If he starts asking about your skincare then you're really going to have to worry.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    It seems to have occurred to the people going "Well, I'm sure you'll be kept on beyond your current contract, anything else would be foolish" that I'm still not currently scheduled to be kept on beyond my current contract.

First I was asked by the acting transition manager to help with a project where some 800 card customers need to be migrated from one system to another before June (for... reasons), and they needed someone to help automate that process. That's fine, no worries. I was then told that while she obviously couldn't promise anything, and she'd already sung my praises hither and dither, being a major part of a project like this would really raise my visibility.

Then one of the leads from finance stopped by and asked if my contract was really up end of May and when I said it was, but I was expecting a talk with my boss on Monday about the future, he said to let him know how it went and if needed, he'd push on from his end to keep me on.

So if nothing else, I'm feeling very appreciated by my immediate surroundings.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh my god, oh my god...

I may have had a bit too much Blue Milk last night.

Thankfully the class is having a potluck party every period.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PLAYING HOOKY GONNA GET FAST FOOD AND BEER

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Oh my god, oh my god...

Did Blue Milk involve Hpnotiq in any way?

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Oh my god, oh my god...

It was a White Russian with blood food dye.

• Options
    I have to buy some Hpnotiq for a bachelor party next month. No bachelor party is complete without Incredible Hulks ever since a friend made us drink far too many at my bp way back when. Anyway, I think I need to work out a Blue Milk recipe using it. My lactose intolerance definitely ups the level of difficulty though. Maybe something with coconut milk. That would work out better than cow's milk flavor-wise too.

• Options
    NEW PLAN

BEER AND GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

NO ONE CAN STOP ME HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Options
    I have to buy some Hpnotiq for a bachelor party next month. No bachelor party is complete without Incredible Hulks ever since a friend made us drink far too many at my bp way back when. Anyway, I think I need to work out a Blue Milk recipe using it. My lactose intolerance definitely ups the level of difficulty though. Maybe something with coconut milk. That would work out better than cow's milk flavor-wise too.

Why not just use lactose-free milk?

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Oh my god, oh my god...

With most people I'd assume this was a typo, but with you...

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh my god, oh my god...

How does blood food dye make milk blue? Is it Tom Selleck's blood?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Oh my god, oh my god...

With most people I'd assume this was a typo, but with you...

Oh shit, yeah, that's a typo.

Oh man, I am tripping balls in this high school English class on account of this hangover.

• Options

Why not just use lactose-free milk?

That could be an option. Coconut milk really should pair up better with the tropical fruit flavor of the Hpnotiq though.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    NEW PLAN

Yes but how would you say that in Mandarin

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    KetBra wrote: »
    NEW PLAN

Yes but how would you say that in Mandarin

XIN DE JIHUA

PIJOU GEN GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

MEIYOU REN NENG TINGZHI WO

Edit: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quid on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Automation has taken a dark turn.

Just passed a sign waver outside who looked kinda weird...then I realized it was a fucking mannequin with a motor hooked up to move the arms/sign.

• Options
    There's a lady here that appears to have sprung her daughter out of class with the same idea. Eff da police.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Today was day three of our track and sign course, assessment day. I got 88% which was the highest in the group. Still a level 2 like I got in my first assessment 2 years ago, but 6% higher total score. Considering I have made no effort to expand on or even maintain my knowledge since my first assessment, and was worried I'd do worse than the first time, I'm pretty pleased with how I did.

The main thing is it has been quite inspiring. Learning from this instructor, who is a bit of a superstar in the world of guiding/tracking, has been an incredible privilege and it's made me want to work harder at increasing my own knowledge. We are all planning to do a reassessment again in a few months and I am determined that next time I will get level 3.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I may have just been given the majority of a triple berry pie. I may be just eating this thing straight out of the pan with a fork.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also the newest fad of these high school students is playing original ass Counter-Strike. Like pre 1.6.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    My manager was called back down to the London office a couple of days earlier than expected, so he had a free ticket spare for today if anyone wanted it.

Coincidentally I was heading down to London today and hadn't yet booked my tickets

So here I sit in first class, enjoying the beautiful British summer sun with a free glass of beer in my hand. Plus my total journey with return ticket was £20 cheaper!

Work can occasionally be good for something

Quantum Tiger on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Also the newest fad of these high school students is playing original ass Counter-Strike. Like pre 1.6.

Wait why?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I'm overhearing some fucking thermonuclear takes from the conference room nearby that's supposed to be a meeting about mechanical equipment but has somehow devolved into sexist comments and bitching about safe spaces. (Note there is a woman in that room awkwardly laughing and responding.)

I just almost yelled fuck you out loud.

I kinda need my job though

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    There's a lady here that appears to have sprung her daughter out of class with the same idea. Eff da police.

So mad that the wife shot down that plan for Monday. Stupid state testing.
    I want to be the cool parent sometimes!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Sleep wrote: »

Wait why?

You got me. I keep seeing them starting up a dust map. I am currently watching two yahoos trying to do a lan game and I keep blanking out their screens with a cute cat picture that says, "How's your homework coming?"

• Options
    edited May 2017

Wait why?

You got me. I keep seeing them starting up a dust map. I am currently watching two yahoos trying to do a lan game and I keep blanking out their screens with a cute cat picture that says, "How's your homework coming?"

Amazing.

Please tell me you're doing it as they engage one another in combat

Sleep on
  • Options

Wait why?

Amazing.

Oh absolutely. I am doing it at the worst moments.

• Options

Wait why?

Amazing.

Your student's rage sustains me.

Are they smart enough to be using flash bangs or are they just running around with newbie sticks?

• Options

Wait why?

Amazing.

Are they smart enough to be using flash bangs or are they just running around with newbie sticks?

They are buying guns. I took control of a kid at start, spent on his money on the worst guns and then used up all the ammo then let him have control again. I then blanked his screen the moment he saw someone.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Wait why?

Amazing.

Are they AWP camping yet?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    As of right now my productivity is over 400%. If I can manage to keep this up over weeks/months, it's sure to either piss someone off or send someone into a panic. I'm enjoying the fuck out of that knowledge (the only enjoyment I can get out of this job anymore, sadly), because this is a much more effective protest than me putting in a ticket or telling management that their systems are broken and wrong. Someone's gonna pay for that 400%, and it's not gonna be me because union.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
This discussion has been closed.