As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield] - 2042 - Launches Nov 19th

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Wow so nobody picks up downed teammates, huh?

Unless they're in your squad or a medic, they can't. But even if they are medics, there's a 75% chance they won't pick you up anyways.

So I’ve been trying but lately I just am trying to avoid dying like you just did before I revive you. But I also have squadmates like a sniper that doesn’t get out of his scope long enough to help me too.

It also doesn’t help that medic guns are really tough for me so I just don’t wanna play medic anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Wow so nobody picks up downed teammates, huh?

Unless they're in your squad or a medic, they can't. But even if they are medics, there's a 75% chance they won't pick you up anyways.

So I’ve been trying but lately I just am trying to avoid dying like you just did before I revive you. But I also have squadmates like a sniper that doesn’t get out of his scope long enough to help me too.

It also doesn’t help that medic guns are really tough for me so I just don’t wanna play medic anyway.

Sometimes folks just get downed away from good cover and I don't think they have gotten used to laying smoke before going for those riskier revives yet.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Yeah no I literally just watched my squad lead pick a dude up right next to me and then both of them just left me there, the actual medic, to bleed out behind perfect cover with no enemies nearby. That sort of thing is happening a ton in each match. I'm not sure if people are actually aware they can revive squad mates.

• Options
    Yeah no I literally just watched my squad lead pick a dude up right next to me and then both of them just left me there, the actual medic, to bleed out behind perfect cover with no enemies nearby. That sort of thing is happening a ton in each match. I'm not sure if people are actually aware they can revive squad mates.

Well they aren’t aware they have to be ON the point to capture it in mine, so that seems likely.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Ok tanks are about useless too?

Zero splash damage on shells and good heavens they go down easy.

I dunno. I'll have to play with them some more. If there's a way to hang back and avoid the 80 panzerfausts that immediately come at you and maybe a specialization that makes the gun more effective against infantry it might feel better. I've seen very few actual tank on tank fights.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Boy that second recon rifle really sucks, huh? It's so weak... It feels pretty awesome to nail long range headshots in a Battlefield game. Less awesome when that headshot doesn't kill your target.

The model 8?

It’s not a sniper rifle, it’s a medium-close range high powered semi-auto

2 shot kills to the body in close range is really good

Oh.

Well that would explain its awfulness as a sniper rifle :P

That might actually work with my more aggressive "play the objective" style of recon play, too. Hmm, might pop the scope off that thing and use the irons.

That's what I do.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I take it back about the Model 8. Slapped an aperture sight on it and have been playing aggressively. It's pretty awesome.

I just wish I would stop getting paired up with complete morons. Squad mates will just run right over my dying body, supports don't toss ammo, and nobody fucking listens to squad orders. I just played a game of Breakthrough as Axis on Narvik. We'd take B and then I'd issue the order to take A when it became available, and my dipshit squad was no help at all. Two recons just as far away from the point as possible, sniping and being worthless. The medic was content to just stay at B even though it was secured. I was support and pretty much took A by myself. Twice. I was hiding in a closet on the point and just blasting anyone away who showed up. There's was the tiniest sliver of blue left to fill when I got overrun. Retook B and again took A basically alone. Fully capped it this time, and then we destroyed the last two objectives for the win.

Happy to finally get a win, but goddamn do I hate the people that play this game...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Yeah Battlefield's biggest problem is its player base. They just... don't understand what's happening at any given time.

Games like Squad and Post Scriptum all have a heavy focus on team play that forces you to work with your squad because if you don't you get absolutely wrecked. 40 second respawns timers and limited spawn locations, high lethality, and massive maps with long engagement ranges mean you need to communicate and cooperate.

The downside here is the games aren't really accessible to the average player and have a steep learning curve. Battlefield has to be more open to the average player but then you run into the issue of the average player not performing the most basic fucking functions of their roles (unless they're snipers and then they perform it too well) in favor of getting those sweet killzzz.

BFV has taken a lot of good steps towards encouraging team play, and maybe it will get better as people start to learn the mechanics of the game a little more, but the dipshit BF player who doesn't drop ammo, revive, or cap objectives will, unfortunately, always be a facet of Battlefield games.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »
    The Turner SMLE semi auto rifle is civilization. I was struggling to find a gun I was really enjoying but the Turner with a 3x is my jam I have it at level 9 after a few nights of playing with it. It gives me good mid to longish range capabilities and is no slouch up close if I need to spam it into someone.

I'm having a lot of fun with battlefield and I am starting to remember what made me sink so many hours into Battlefield 3.

Ok my turner brother- then comes the hard question.

Box mags or gigantic stripper clip?

I go stripper but do hate the half an hour reload time. (Takes 4 strippers to reload)

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Yeah Battlefield's biggest problem is its player base. They just... don't understand what's happening at any given time.

Games like Squad and Post Scriptum all have a heavy focus on team play that forces you to work with your squad because if you don't you get absolutely wrecked. 40 second respawns timers and limited spawn locations, high lethality, and massive maps with long engagement ranges mean you need to communicate and cooperate.

The downside here is the games aren't really accessible to the average player and have a steep learning curve. Battlefield has to be more open to the average player but then you run into the issue of the average player not performing the most basic fucking functions of their roles (unless they're snipers and then they perform it too well) in favor of getting those sweet killzzz.

BFV has taken a lot of good steps towards encouraging team play, and maybe it will get better as people start to learn the mechanics of the game a little more, but the dipshit BF player who doesn't drop ammo, revive, or cap objectives will, unfortunately, always be a facet of Battlefield games.

I tend to give them a pass really. I mean a lot of mainstream games focus on kills alone. There is precious little in this game that tells you things like "drop ammo for more sweet points" or "reviving gives you oodles of points" or "spotting gives teh pointz too." Once you know these things, it's like breathing and you get more points than you know what to do with. Heck, I ran a portion of the game in the top few spots of my scoreboard just by fortifying a point. I had 0-0 and had only built stuff. It's just too easy to play without doing it and if you aren't paying attention to assignments, literally nothing drives you to do these things. Let alone figuring out squad functions.

Now, having said all that, I LOVE a good squad that's paying attention. Oh man the points just flow like alcohol. I really do love this game. It got a lot of bad press and, seeing the final product, yep it def has some bugs, but the gameplay is SO GOOD. Except for medic guns. Eff those things. :-D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    lol yeah I think I about tripled my points output as recon by putting the gun down and just spotting dudes. And double that when weasel is flying a bomber.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    I capped out at the top of my leaderboards the other night just reviving. I still got plenty o' kills but mostly just reviving. Smoke, rez, rinse, repeat.

I'm honestly playing medic more than support which is the opposite of what I always do. It may be because of the changes to mmg's, not being able to ads and all. Which would be more manageable if the bipods weren't glitchy as hell. I hope they smooth that out some.

• Options
    lol yeah I think I about tripled my points output as recon by putting the gun down and just spotting dudes. And double that when weasel is flying a bomber.

The spotting scope is incredibly valuable in this game, even more so than spotting tools were in 3+4. Since almost no-one can do it, it's a huge tactical advantage if the recon can get into a good position.

Heck, it's useful sometimes to just pop it up and swipe quickly across a point you're approaching. I often tag enemies I had no chance of actually seeing before.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    El Mucho wrote: »
    The Turner SMLE semi auto rifle is civilization. I was struggling to find a gun I was really enjoying but the Turner with a 3x is my jam I have it at level 9 after a few nights of playing with it. It gives me good mid to longish range capabilities and is no slouch up close if I need to spam it into someone.

I'm having a lot of fun with battlefield and I am starting to remember what made me sink so many hours into Battlefield 3.

Ok my turner brother- then comes the hard question.

Box mags or gigantic stripper clip?

I go stripper but do hate the half an hour reload time. (Takes 4 strippers to reload)

I went with the larger clip. 20 rounds lets me do a lot of work.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    PC BFV thanksgiving, who's up?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Hey so if you shoot the big cannons on the desert GO, does that do anything significant? You don't get points for it but I like make big gun go boom.

Edit: man I had a v1 rocket but I could never get a chance to call it in.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Spotter scope or flare gun?

The scope probably has the advantage for not requiring ammo, but flare gun is a quick fire and forget without having to look for targets. Hmmm.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

The scope probably has the advantage for not requiring ammo, but flare gun is a quick fire and forget without having to look for targets. Hmmm.

The flare gun also has a very limited radius so it’s only really useful on relatively confined maps with defined choke points like Devastation or Fjell 652

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The flare gun also has a very limited radius so it’s only really useful on relatively confined maps with defined choke points like Devastation or Fjell 652

Also, the flare from the flare gun can be shot down.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    scope, hands down. flare gun is worthless

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    It was so good in other games, but in this one the area is WAY too small, and its just not nearly as useful. Spotting scope is easily way better.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options

Yeah, the radius is very small. Like one-two houses. Considering some control points are an entire farm or a city block, it doesn't offer nearly the amount of coverage that it did in One.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »
    I gotta remember that Jackfrags is inhumanly good, and Im a wet fart at this game, but man he makes that Drilling shotgun look fun.

Also, the non-headshot kill indicators look like skull/penis combos abominations, and I can't unsee it...

Not to discount Jack's above average skill he is no where near "inhuman" , if you want inhuman watch Relaaa.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ReIativity/videos?disable_polymer=1

Nah, Jack's inhumanly good at Battlefield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehzjikwM8yo

I beg to differ.

• Options
    scope, hands down. flare gun is worthless

As a recon, I do more damage with the scope than a bolt action rifle.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Hmm, might switch back to the scope then. Was doing OK with the flare gun firing it up at the flags, but I'd probably get more spot assists with the scope.

Played assault for the first time last night. Grand Operations on Narvik, because Narvik is the only GO map it would seem... anyway got shredded as the attackers, as usual, but I did manage to storm the fortifications at the A flag and tossed out my sticky dynamite. Dove backwards down the slope and detonated them, destroying the fortification and earning a penta-kill.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Ok tanks are about useless too?

Zero splash damage on shells and good heavens they go down easy.

I dunno. I'll have to play with them some more. If there's a way to hang back and avoid the 80 panzerfausts that immediately come at you and maybe a specialization that makes the gun more effective against infantry it might feel better. I've seen very few actual tank on tank fights.

I would say that they don't work as you are expecting.

The Axis light tank with the 20mm autocannon will rip up infantry. In other tanks, you should be using your coaxial machinegun against infantry. The exception to this is the Allied AA tank. Out of the box, it works more like what you are expecting (explosive splash damage against infantry).

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Smoke is essential for any attacking team... the medic has 5 smoke if you equip the launcher and grenade.

Can shoot what you cant see. I make entire pushes with that 5 smoke successful because it makes people move up.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    Got one of my weekly cosmetic drops today. A red ironsight for the Sturmhgewehr 1-5. A tiny red, unnoticeable sliver of metal. Feeling SO deluxe right now...

• Options
    canuckont wrote: »
    Smoke is essential for any attacking team... the medic has 5 smoke if you equip the launcher and grenade.

Can shoot what you cant see. I make entire pushes with that 5 smoke successful because it makes people move up.

This.

I attribute most of my Rush-centeic grand operations objective victories largely to the fact I smoke the area so my team can move up. Medic is really turning into the go to attacker class for me. Defense I mainly play support with the trait that let's you build fortifications hella quick and my mg-34.

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what all the negative stuff beening said about smgs are. I dont particularly an issue with getting anyone, feels like I mostly die to ke7 or what ever the starting support weapon is.

Mg34 all the way for defense, I'm looking forward to trying out the 42. I almost never die ti the mg34 but when I'm using it I feel like a rain of lead. I think it'll be better once they tweak the bipod mechanism.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Mg42 is insane. You basically just instantly delete anything you shoot at.

Also regarding tanks I think the only default tank with a decent cannon vs infantry is the Pz4. It has the classic BF tank splash damage.

• Options
    Sonork wrote: »
    The Mg42 is insane. You basically just instantly delete anything you shoot at.

Also regarding tanks I think the only default tank with a decent cannon vs infantry is the Pz4. It has the classic BF tank splash damage.

the upgrade 95mm howitzer on the churchill is similar to the 7.5cm KwK 37 L/24 on the default PzIV

but you really want to upgrade to the KwK 40 on the panzer anyway so you won't have that long.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    When running as medic or support I'm starting to think its actually better to run with the pouches instead of the crates.

Most of these people playing seem incapable of feeding themselves so having to actually interact with a crate means I get waaaaay fewer resupplies than by just chucking it at them.

• Options
    When running as medic or support I'm starting to think its actually better to run with the pouches instead of the crates.

Most of these people playing seem incapable of feeding themselves so having to actually interact with a crate means I get waaaaay fewer resupplies than by just chucking it at them.

I’ve noticed this too although I do see more people grabbing from it. Enemies dropping ammo and the crates not giving explosives really hinders them imo.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToyD wrote: »

I’ve noticed this too although I do see more people grabbing from it. Enemies dropping ammo and the crates not giving explosives really hinders them imo.

it'd be one thing if the portable crates gave explosives like the buildable ones, but they don't so it's really just a less efficient pouch

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    So I tried towing an AA gun with the Universal Carrier on Arras and it was... kinda buggy, to say the least. I was jumping around on the damn thing and it was undrivable. It was only until I detached that I could do anything at all.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Drovek wrote: »
    So I tried towing an AA gun with the Universal Carrier on Arras and it was... kinda buggy, to say the least. I was jumping around on the damn thing and it was undrivable. It was only until I detached that I could do anything at all.

Towing things is super duper buggy, on all maps with all vehicles

Edit: I’ve actually done a 360 corkscrew in midair towing an AA gun on twisted steel driving a Sd.Kfz. 251

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Yeah you know, I'm more or less enjoying the core gameplay but there are a lot of things I'm noticing about the presentation overall that feels off.

You've got your standard compliment of Dice bugs but things like the Grand Operations airborne plane segments being the British regardless of your side, or when defending objectives as the British you yell "destroy that objective!" instead of "defend that objective!" Just small things in the presentation that are kind of weird considering their extra month of development and how solid BF1 felt at launch. At least conceptually.

Also the KE7 is some bullshit.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I got this and just played a 64 person game where I was the only medic on my team. I mean, I got a ton of medic XP but it was extremely rough. So many times even if there are medics, no one seems to pick anyone up.

Otherwise, I've been having fun.

There are way too many snipers as well.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I really hope they remove the PIAT's minimap marker because it is getting really mortar spammy on certain modes.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png