As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield] - 2042 - Launches Nov 19th

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    I haven’t noticed that marker. Can you describe? I tries using the PIAT and gave up on it as it didn’t seem too effective. Likely I was using it wrong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    @toyd look here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzUQhgy6lh4

re- @jackfrags
    you have to remember that YouTube isnt life.... Anyone can look like a badass in cut up clips. They still slog through bad games like we do every now and again.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    I really hope they remove the PIAT's minimap marker because it is getting really mortar spammy on certain modes.

Ehhh, the splash damage is pretty minimal. Unless a person just doesn't move, it's gonna be hard to get kills from it. Pretty good for nailing tanks long range, though. But still, if the tank gets hit and doesn't move or fall back to repair, that's on them. I don't think the piat thing is too bad.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Some of those side routes into objectives on breakthrough Fjell 652 can be really narrow at points and the explosions really deter the masses from pushing through those points. If that has not been your experience, I wish my playtime was like yours.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Some of those side routes into objectives on breakthrough Fjell 652 can be really narrow at points and the explosions really deter the masses from pushing through those points. If that has not been your experience, I wish my playtime was like yours.

I dunno, my cynical side says bullets do the same thing to my team anyway. And since you can’t get explosives from ammo crates then I’m pretty indifferent to this since the drag rifles and everything else also have splash damage. Just my opinion.

Also got to assault rank 20 and started in on the mastery assignments. Now I gotta do a bunch of damage with explosives, yay. That one is gonna take awhile.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToyD wrote: »

I dunno, my cynical side says bullets do the same thing to my team anyway. And since you can’t get explosives from ammo crates then I’m pretty indifferent to this since the drag rifles and everything else also have splash damage. Just my opinion.

Also got to assault rank 20 and started in on the mastery assignments. Now I gotta do a bunch of damage with explosives, yay. That one is gonna take awhile.

Grand Operations on Narvik as the attackers should help with that assignment. Specifically the sandbag fortification at the front of the A flag. Defenders love to hunker down behind it to try and mow down charging attackers. If you can charge through and hit it with your sticky dynamite, hooo boy, damage and kills for days.

Well really only the one time, unless they rebuild it, but still.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Finally snagged it on a good round of Rotterdam conquest. Those chokepoints around C, D, and E are nice. A and B don’t choke up as much. Also solo’d a tank in the streets with my dynamite then rpg to the back of the turret a couple times. Was a good round. Now to assault mastery 3.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anyone playing on PS4, or just in general, find the revive prompt to be a little finicky? I'm sure I look like an idiot flopping all over the person on the ground trying to get the prompt to show up. Then half the time I just cycle between picking up their weapon and mine over and over again...

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Anyone playing on PS4, or just in general, find the revive prompt to be a little finicky? I'm sure I look like an idiot flopping all over the person on the ground trying to get the prompt to show up. Then half the time I just cycle between picking up their weapon and mine over and over again...
    I did at first until I got used to it. Trick is to never hold it down. Just tap it. If you don't immediately start picking them up, just tap it.

If you're cycling, you're holding the button down. Don't do that.

Also, you have to be crouched or standing. You can't start the revive prone.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Is there a point to squads other than acting as moving spawn points? I don't know anyone IRL that plays this game, and I generally don't party up with randos in these sorts of games (ex. No Fill in 50v50 fortnite), but this version seems to be pushing squads a lot harder than the previous one. If I felt like there was some positive aspect to them other than getting closer (read: too close) to the action in a little less time, but as it is forming a "solo squad" is the first thing I do in each game.

Convince me to not do that, if you can.

So far this game is kind of brutal compared to BF1. I can't ever see the enemies due to the Q nerf, I die in a stiff breeze, and I generally don't have much idea what is going on (though that's partly that I just need to learn the new maps). I'm not complaining, I don't mind a challenge, but I feel like I have a lot of stuff to learn / unlearn. So far my K:D is around 0.5 or so, but I've only played maybe 4 games so far.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Squads are good if you can wrangle these feral cat randos into a competent unit. Any squad member can revive any other squad member, otherwise only a medic can rez you (50/50 shot as to whether or not a rando will pick you up, though) Being able to spawn on your squad is good, and completing the squad leader's orders gets you points for supply drops, heavy tanks, and that sweet sweet V1.

If you don't particularly care about winning and just want to run around shooting mans, there's nothing wrong with just solo squadding it. Just don't expect much in the way of back-up if you find yourself outgunned.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Squads are good if you can wrangle these feral cat randos into a competent unit. Any squad member can revive any other squad member, otherwise only a medic can rez you (50/50 shot as to whether or not a rando will pick you up, though) Being able to spawn on your squad is good, and completing the squad leader's orders gets you points for supply drops, heavy tanks, and that sweet sweet V1.

If you don't particularly care about winning and just want to run around shooting mans, there's nothing wrong with just solo squadding it. Just don't expect much in the way of back-up if you find yourself outgunned.

I mean, I'd like to win, but I'm only 1/32 of the team so I have little influence (which is good because I'm so bad).

But non-medic squad rezes are extremely compelling. That's probably enough for me.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Most of the time in squads with random people it’s just a possibly convenient spawn point.

However sometimes you’ll get some people that randomly decide to stick together and the play is much more fun and successful. Just occasionally stick with one and see what happens. No comms required, just moving and taking points together.

Sometimes I’ll just randomly be somebody’s gunner. Those rounds where it clicks always end up very fun, but they are definitely the exception and not the norm in random games.

The number 1 thing to get a squad going though is a leader actually giving orders. In probably 80+ % of my games I can immediately request order and be auto-given squad leader due to the person actually doing it not giving a care about orders.

The other thing is, it’s free points. If you issue/follow orders, the squad gets more points.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by issue or follow orders. They did not go through that in the tutorial.

Also that was a really weird tutorial.

• Options
    I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by issue or follow orders. They did not go through that in the tutorial.

There is a button that brings up a comm rose that has things like need ammo, need medic, go go go, some minor social thinks like yes/no. On that menu is also a “request order” or if you’re the squad leader it’s “issue order” to assault or defend an objective. Or you can point at the 3d point until it gets highlighted and press the q button on pc, not sure what it is on console to issue orders that way. This will put a small green set of arrows around that objective in your HUD showing you what the order is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2018

If you're the squad leader, you can issue orders by "spotting" flags. So you can order your squad to attack or defend objectives. This builds up squad points you can use for reinforcements like heavy tanks or supply drops. Most people try to save them for the V1 rockets, though. If you aren't the squad leader, you can request orders through the comm rose thing, and if the leader doesn't issue an order in about 60 seconds, you become the leader.

Edit: It's R1/RB on console to issue orders, so I assume Q on PC? The "not as good as BF1 spotting" button.

Skull2185 on
  • Options

If you're the squad leader, you can issue orders by "spotting" flags. So you can order your squad to attack or defend objectives. This builds up squad points you can use for reinforcements like heavy tanks or supply drops. Most people try to save them for the V1 rockets, though. If you aren't the squad leader, you can request orders through the comm rose thing, and if the leader doesn't issue an order in about 60 seconds, you become the leader.
    On the comm rose, you can also pick the objective from options rather than spotting the flags.

I always spot the flags, BUT IT'S AN OPTION :). Helpful when in vehicles.

• Options
    Thanks guys, I will stay in the squad and look for that next time I play.

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »

On the comm rose, you can also pick the objective from options rather than spotting the flags.

Also helpful when the interface doesn’t want to highlight your point or you’re hiding or whatever. :-). I tend to use the comm rose so I don’t have to look at the point and die while doing that. It happens more than I’d care to admit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Also helpful when the interface doesn’t want to highlight your point or you’re hiding or whatever. :-). I tend to use the comm rose so I don’t have to look at the point and die while doing that. It happens more than I’d care to admit.

Something I'm super good at is mixing up the buttons and dropping a grenade at my feet.

• Options

Something I'm super good at is mixing up the buttons and dropping a grenade at my feet.

That is me with the new squad leader options menu. Not used to hitting B yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, I will stay in the squad and look for that next time I play.

Also, if you're in a squad by yourself and you lock it, you're taking away the ability for others to be in a squad. As of right now, each team is limited to the amount of squads they can have.

Being in a squad is just overall better, even without any communication. First, you get more points outright by helping them, spawning on them, they spawn on you, or them helping you. Those points then can be used by the squad leader to call in extra support vehicles, supplies, or V1 rockets. Spawning on your squad is also one of the best ways to help attack an objective. This game has some serious choke points on some maps, so if you can bypass them or at least get farther into the map instead of running from the farthest spawn point each time you can help yourself and your team. There really is no downside to playing with others, even pubbies.

253J736.png
  • Options
    Sadly, I've become the squad leader more often than I would prefer. I've already botched at least 2 flying bomb call-ins.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    I’ve only had 1 that I got no points on. Two however have been amazingly well timed and placed. That point list scrolls forever and it’s sooooo satisfying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Sadly, I've become the squad leader more often than I would prefer. I've already botched at least 2 flying bomb call-ins.

meh, you're going to miss some so don't worry about it too much. But, when it does connect... it's so great (as ToyD mentioned).

253J736.png
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Question for PS4 players: How, in the name of Zeus’s Butthole do I trigger these reinforcements?

This is how far I have gotten:
    - Hold L1 and R1 and the circle with the 4 possibilities appears
    - Hold the Right Stick in a direction to select one of those, but keep holding it!
    - Press Triangle (while still holding L1, R1 and the right stick!) to select the thing you’ve selected in green

It then says something like V1 rocket selected/ready, and then? I cannot figure out what to do next.
    What is the next magic button I need to press to drop my supplies/vehicles/bombs?

I remember that when I did it the first time some kind of help tooltip appeared but then I got sniped and it disappeared, which is a very useful way of giving you important information.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    On pc, once you’ve selected the reinforcement, you’re given a set of targeting binoculars. You aim with them at the spot to drop with the dot on what you want it to drop on, then hit the fire button.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WolveSight wrote: »

meh, you're going to miss some so don't worry about it too much. But, when it does connect... it's so great (as ToyD mentioned).

It's not that I got the chance to place the pie plate of doom and whiffed. It sucks, but I can deal. It's the press B and whatever my crosshair was currently on is the target that irks me.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    Dont need to push anything just plop your stickin the direction of the item and release when over it.

To get the vehicles you have to redeploy. V1 you get binos .

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    WolveSight wrote: »
    Spawning on your squad is also one of the best ways to help attack an objective.

In my experience so far (which as I mentioned is limited) spawning on players is one of the best ways to die. Accidental squad-spawns is the reason I made a point to leave any squads with people in them.

• Options
    In my experience so far (which as I mentioned is limited) spawning on players is one of the best ways to die. Accidental squad-spawns is the reason I made a point to leave any squads with people in them.
    It's both. It rewards you for intelligently choosing when to spawn on a squadmate (you can see his or her situation before you spawn) and punishes you for poor choices.

• Options
    It's both. It rewards you for intelligently choosing when to spawn on a squadmate (you can see his or her situation before you spawn) and punishes you for poor choices.

Spawning on squadmates can be very frustrating in a game where your team is getting curbstomped. Every time you spawn, before you can get your bearings, you are gunned down. It’s much better in other matches as long as you pay attention like Biz says.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Inversely its infuriating to get the drop on somebody, take some hits in the gun fight and then have his buddy pop in and drop you with a single shot.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Inversely its infuriating to get the drop on somebody, take some hits in the gun fight and then have his buddy pop in and drop you with a single shot.

Reload animations sometimes seem absurdly long too. :-D

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hit a new personal best of two wins in a row last night! Two games of Domination, but still that felt nice. The button tap thing for revives works like a charm too. I regret ever saying anything bad about the Model 8, that thing is awesome.

Too bad you don't get reinforcement stuff in the smaller modes like Dom, cause my squad was awesome and actually followed my orders. Best squad both times, and we were weirdly coordinated despite not using voice chat. Like we'd split up two and two and attack points from two sides. Good times.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    the trick to pubby squad wrangling is not to give them orders and expect them to do them. You look at what your pubbies are already doing and then you sneakily order them to do it, then they'll accidentally get you squad points. Also, dropping the ammo can on a handful of piat users is good civilization. In can we trust.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I assume you can't just say "Attack a point" that's halfway across the map and has no squadmates on it and still get the credit right? Someone on the squad has to actually contribute to the capture to get points?

The realization that squadmates can rez you have fundamentally changed my approach to this game. I also started stealing leader to try to get order points and it sometimes worked out. I have yet to earn enough points for the V1, but I did generate a tank one time. If I was any good at using tanks that might have been pretty good!

edit: I'd never thought about PvP games being easier/harder, usually it has to do with who you are fighting with/against, but this game is just fundamentally harder than BF1. You don't even spawn with full ammo. BFV is not going to hold your hand for anything.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I assume you can't just say "Attack a point" that's halfway across the map and has no squadmates on it and still get the credit right? Someone on the squad has to actually contribute to the capture to get points?

The realization that squadmates can rez you have fundamentally changed my approach to this game. I also started stealing leader to try to get order points and it sometimes worked out. I have yet to earn enough points for the V1, but I did generate a tank one time. If I was any good at using tanks that might have been pretty good!

edit: I'd never thought about PvP games being easier/harder, usually it has to do with who you are fighting with/against, but this game is just fundamentally harder than BF1. You don't even spawn with full ammo. BFV is not going to hold your hand for anything.

You would assume wrong

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    So, due to Thanksgiving, I took like 6 days off this game. I missed it bad. Got a PS4 Pro and a new 4k TV, though, so played last night. I finally fully golded the MG34 (so pretty) and unlocked the MG42 at the same time.

The MG42 is awesome and I love it and I dunno if I'll ever stop playing Support. Unlocked the Hades appearance for the head, too, so goggles and facemask are a go.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    From what I've seen so far support really has the most diverse gameplay options. Stuff that fundamentally changes how you play that class.

Like, mmgs needing to be deployed to ADS and be really effective, or specializations that focus on defense building. Hell, you can even get the M30 Drilling which is way more of a risk/reward skill gun with its OHK to the head. It definitely feels like the belle of the ball this go round. Medics and assaults are really samey, particularly assault ( I guess with the exception of the gewher and the m1a1 which I think are more or less functionally the same so just use the gewher.) I've barely touched recon this go round. I tried going scopeless and playing aggressively but noticed a couple of headshots didn't seem to drop people and I got killed, frustrated, and switched back to medic.