As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Time to make "Contact"?

Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
cover_contact.jpg

More Info Here

I was in Gamestop today and noticed this on the shelf. I remembered a couple of people here talking about it but I wasn't sure if they were saying good things or bad.

Any opinions? Most reviews give it a 6-7 out of 10.

steam_sig.png
Tw4win on

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I enjoyed it straight thru, but on that note it was kinda short. Didn't bother me at all tho. I'd recommend it, a nice way to play a diffrent kinda RPG type game.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It is hard to find?

I'll admit that I went to a Gamestop in a shopping center on the DC/MD line. Without wanting to make too many generalizations I'll just say that I don't think the latest quirky Japanese game is going to sell very well there. It's also the first Gamestop I've been in where the clerks didn't know anything about games but it was the cleanest ance nicest looking store I've seen.

Given the fact that they seem to have some pretty hard to find stuff sitting around I may make it my normal store...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What was up with the ending?

Couscous on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Contact was a really great game as long as you're not scared of level grinding.

Taya on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was really excited about this game being something different until it came out and people started saying it wasn't really that different at all.

The other day I saw it in a clearance pile at Circuit City and gave it a pass. If I hear better things, I may go try to find it again.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Remember how much it was?

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It was $16.97. I would have snagged it on principle, but I had also just finished buying a Wii.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'll have to check Circuit City tomorrow...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I enjoyed it, but it didn't quite live up to the aura of Earthbound-like quirky charm that everyone was expecting it to. And yeah, level grinding.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Go to Circuit City. I picked this up for $16.96 a few weeks back.

Rocket Slime & Phoenix Wright are that price as well. I picked up PW but I've yet to go back and get Rocket Slime...must...do....soon....

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    And Rocket Slime was the best one of the three games you just mentioned.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I didn't really enjoy it, not even enough to finish it. That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's just not the game I wanted to play.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    TrikoTriko Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I bought the game brand new for under $13 at Circuit City. Enjoyed the few hours I've played of it so far, definitely something different when it comes to RPGs. However, I haven't played the game since; when I bought Pokemon Pearl.

Triko on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It was an okay game. There was a lot of potential that was never realized.

I'm pretty sure they are working on a sequel, so I hope they improve it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    And Rocket Slime was the best one of the three games you just mentioned.

It's still on my list of games to get, so I'll be getting it soon, and last I checked (3 weeks ago) they had about 8 copies. So I doubt they're going anywhere.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Contact is good. So is Rocket Slime.
    What's the lesson? Oh right.
    We all love the DS.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Will someone explain the ending to me?

Couscous on
  • Options
    The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Constant grinding with a terribly boring combat system mixed with the odd internet meme reference during conversation.

The_Dciple on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The game bored me to tears. I quit playing as soon as I had to hunt down some old man's dog.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If you have to grind, you're doing it wrong. Much easier just to cook up a ton of potions and drink them while killing all the enemies on the way to the boss.
    titmouse wrote: »
    Will someone explain the ending to me?
    As near as I can understand it:
    The professor was largely self-interested, and wanted the cells, as they were enormously powerful (see the dragon defense system). He used Terry and you to collect them and fight off the CosmoNOTs. Terry, thoughout the game, was wearing a watch the professor gave him, which ostensibly just let him stay in contact with the Professor, but actually let you control him as well, without Terry noticing. Terry figures this out over the course of the game, and after the Professor gets the last cell and ditches him on the island, Terry takes off the watch and tries to smash it. You show him who's boss. He then gets picked up and taken back home by Mint, who has apparently taken a shine to him.

Cut to the Professor's lab, where the old man has left a message for you. You realize that through all this time, you weren't thinking of Terry as a person, just an avatar to beat up monsters with. You're stuck looking at an empty lab, contemplating what you've done, and the ethics of playing video games at all.

That's what I got out of it, at least. Results may vary. Sad and strange and moving and ridiculous, all in one.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    That actually sounds like a really interesting ending premise.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ballman wrote: »
    Yeah. I wouldn't say it was my favorite DS game, or even that it was always fun, but it made you think and I respect that a lot.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    YesNoMu wrote: »
    Yeah. I wouldn't say it was my favorite DS game, or even that it was always fun, but it made you think and I respect that a lot.

If it is how you describe it, I may just go pick it up anyway. Game plots are kinda stale in general and developers with unique ideas aren't rewarded enough in my opinion. My main problem right now is that I have so many tried and true fun games that I neglect that I have a hard time justifying new game purchases.

Ballman on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

If it is how you describe it, I may just go pick it up anyway. Game plots are kinda stale in general and developers with unique ideas aren't rewarded enough in my opinion. My main problem right now is that I have so many tried and true fun games that I neglect that I have a hard time justifying new game purchases.

Be forewarned- it's a cool idea, but one that doesn't make itself clear until the very end of the game, and even the delivery is so minimalist and botched that it may as well have been a plotless game.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Be forewarned- it's a cool idea, but one that doesn't make itself clear until the very end of the game, and even the delivery is so minimalist and botched that it may as well have been a plotless game.

This has been my only real complaint with the game so far. I'm like...5 hours in, and it's been fun, and I want to finish it, but man - there's almost no real 'plot' to speak of.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007

This has been my only real complaint with the game so far. I'm like...5 hours in, and it's been fun, and I want to finish it, but man - there's almost no real 'plot' to speak of.

The real question is: "Is there more plot than in Children of Mana?"

Because the plot there is almost nonexistant, and I still played that for ~6 hours.

Ballman on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was excited for it before it came out and got it on release. I've only played it for a couple hours though. I loved the art and writing and all the meta-game shit, but the gameplay was just NOT there. There was nothing at all to the combat and there was way too much of it.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    I was excited for it before it came out and got it on release. I've only played it for a couple hours though. I loved the art and writing and all the meta-game shit, but the gameplay was just NOT there. There was nothing at all to the combat and there was way too much of it.
    If you pick an outfit and weapon class and stick with it, you develop some skills that add strategy to the system. But I agree, it is pretty barebones.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png