As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad Food Thread] "I'd stick with soylent. Never know what chimera that meat came from..."

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Also @Indie Winter I assume turkey floss is the same as pork or chicken floss. It's sooo good.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    why would you eat canned chicken

Because you're poor and have a weird schedule and hate cooking huge amounts of food for yourself and you don't have anyone to eat with you most days

I can't imagine the canned chicken is any cheaper than getting a rotisserie at a grocery store. Or, rather, not so much cheaper to be worth eating canned chicken. The whole canned chicken is like $10 here. The tuna style canned is like $4. And rotisserie is $5.

I guess if you want to plan your meal out ahead and not cook it I can see the advantage.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Cookie for breakfast? Why yes, I am an adult, why do you ask?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    woah woah hang on there

the heck is turkey floss

It is the turkey version of pork floss.

If you cook it for long enough the muscle strands in the meat seperate and you get a floss like substance. It has good texture and ok flavour.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

Because you're poor and have a weird schedule and hate cooking huge amounts of food for yourself and you don't have anyone to eat with you most days

I can't imagine the canned chicken is any cheaper than getting a rotisserie at a grocery store. Or, rather, not so much cheaper to be worth eating canned chicken. The whole canned chicken is like $10 here. The tuna style canned is like $4. And rotisserie is $5.

I guess if you want to plan your meal out ahead and not cook it I can see the advantage.

Preppers gonna prep.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I suppose I should examine my eating habits

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular

It's actually even easier to cook large batches when you're single because you don't have to worry about anyone else.

You can make what you want.

I find Sundays are a really good day get something on the go (slow cooker or at least on the hob or in the oven) because then I can use the time it's cooking doing life admin such as sorting out paper work or doing washing. Or playing computer games.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    yeah cooking when I was in a relationship was "I don't feel like..." back and forth.

Cooking now is "oh shit there's a deal on X, guess I'm eating that for a week!"

E: and I cook a whole bunch in one go and just warm it up over the course of the week.

bowen on
  • Options

I agree

The closest I can find in the UK is this:

Can Cook Sliced Chicken In Gravy 280G

And for 3 quid more I can just buy a whole chicken I can stick in the oven so why bother

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Does boiling a chicken make it tender or tough?

First one, then t'other.

If you simmer it right at the boiling point and don't overcook it, you can get a nice tender chicken. Poaching is even better, but it can be tricky on an electric stove.

If you cook a chicken in liquid at a rolling boil, all the proteins are going to shorten and tighten and all the meat is going to wring itself out like a sponge. You end up with very dry and tough chicken, and you leave most of your flavor behind in the pot.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

I agree

The closest I can find in the UK is this:

Can Cook Sliced Chicken In Gravy 280G

And for 3 quid more I can just buy a whole chicken I can stick in the oven so why bother

Oh that $5 chicken was already precooked, ready to eat as soon as you get in your car. If I was going to cook it myself I could probably get a roaster for maybe $3-5 depending on the day and what sales they've got going on.

• Options

It's actually even easier to cook large batches when you're single because you don't have to worry about anyone else.

I find Sundays are a really good day get something on the go (slow cooker or at least on the hob or in the oven) because then I can use the time it's cooking doing life admin such as sorting out paper work or doing washing. Or playing computer games.

Yeah, I do that sometimes

I cook a lot of pasta and meat and and then eat it for a week

I feel like making some kind of crock pot chili

Maybe I'll check out that Jamie Oliver sweet potato chili

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    You should totally learn to cook huge amounts of food for yourself though, if you have a freezer.

Whip up a massive meal that you can easily separate into individual portions, that you can defrost and reheat easily later

It's even better (read cheaper and you get more) if you replace any meat with veg.

I routinely make a veggie chilli I can portion up and wack in the freezer,

While I agree in theory, and I do own a slow cooker, some days I can't fathom doing anything and so buying something easy and ready made is a good way to ensure that I can just kind of stew in my own mental distress and eat a box of crackers or a tin of chicken. Or Chef Boyardee ravioli straight out of the can.

hoo boy am I feeling some sorta way and it is not great

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

The only reason I can think of is that you're a judge on Chopped.

Ive pretty much written off chopped.

There were a few episodes with audience submitted ingredients (hint hint, anonymous people are horrible) and one ingredient was beef eyeball. Cue a judge docking points for using it and giving points to the that did use it.

Nonono, fucker. You eat and you grade what i put in front of you.

Oh and kids chopped always gives them some processed sugar candy to add in... as if thats all kids want to cook with.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options

Yeah, I do that sometimes

I cook a lot of pasta and meat and and then eat it for a week

I feel like making some kind of crock pot chili

Maybe I'll check out that Jamie Oliver sweet potato chili

If you've got access to a blender/food processor and some canned tomatillos, this is my go-to crock pot chili:
    Holiday Chili

Ingredients
    2-11 oz. cans tomatillos, rinsed and drained
    ¾ c. lightly packed cilantro leaves
    3 dried ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
    1 small fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded
    2-14.5 oz. cans fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
    1 ½ pounds stew meat (or beef chuck, if you're feeling fancy,) cut into ½ inch pieces
    Salt
    Ground black pepper
    2 T. olive oil
    2 c. chopped onions (2 large onions)
    1 c. chopped bell peppers (2 small)
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2-15 oz. cans kidney beans and/or black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 c. frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
    2 T. chili powder
    1 t. dried oregano, crushed

Instructions
    In a blender, combine tomatillos, the ¾ c. cilantro, the ancho chiles, and jalapeno pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth. (If mixture is hard to blend, add a portion of the liquid from the tomatoes.) Add tomatoes to blender or food processer. Cover and blend or process until smooth.

Season beef with salt and black pepper. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Toss beef in hot oil until browned on the outside but not cooked through. Drain. (Optional: if you prefer that browned onion flavor, cook them in the leftover oil and beef fat over low heat, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize.)

Add all ingredients to slow cooker and stir until combined. Cook for 8 hours at low heat.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    That looks great, thank you

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I feel like nearly any chili that calls for corn is always made better by using hominy instead.

• Options
    You should totally learn to cook huge amounts of food for yourself though, if you have a freezer.

Whip up a massive meal that you can easily separate into individual portions, that you can defrost and reheat easily later

It's even better (read cheaper and you get more) if you replace any meat with veg.

I routinely make a veggie chilli I can portion up and wack in the freezer,

While I agree in theory, and I do own a slow cooker, some days I can't fathom doing anything and so buying something easy and ready made is a good way to ensure that I can just kind of stew in my own mental distress and eat a box of crackers or a tin of chicken. Or Chef Boyardee ravioli straight out of the can.

hoo boy am I feeling some sorta way and it is not great

Oh yeah, of course there are days you just have to get a ready meal. But ideally that's kept to a minimum. Or you're cooking a quick side to go with the ready meal.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Now that's some spicy chicken.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    oreot.jpg

I made oreo truffles today

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Also, my problem with "make big batches" is that it sounds great... but then I just sit down and eat whatever I've just made (or half of it, and then the rest later that night or tomorrow).

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    oreot.jpg

I made oreo truffles today

I'll take

Umm

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Also, my problem with "make big batches" is that it sounds great... but then I just sit down and eat whatever I've just made (or half of it, and then the rest later that night or tomorrow).

Or you find that after having eaten it, you can go 6 or 7 months before eating it again.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I just don't like a lot of food when it's reheated.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i tried making bigger batches when i moved out but eventually i stopped really liking eating the same thing again and again and now i cook for one, maybe two meals at a time

although i'm quite lucky in that i live near some very cheap and good quality grocers, and cheaper butchers that mean that it's fine for me to buy food in quantities small enough for one person for a better price than just getting the packaged chicken thighs etc.

• Options
    So I went out into the Internet to find the best temperature to toast a sandwich at, and I came across this.

Real talk, Bad Food Thread: does anyone really put six slices of ham on a single sandwich? Like, if I get up to three slices of meat I'm making what I feel like is a pretty decadent sandwich.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Depends on the ham.

OSCAR MAYER Deli Fresh Smoked Ham is probably shaved thinner than a newspaper and made of 49% water.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I like the cold kind.

Boiling meat is super critical for lots of Korean stews and soups, which are hands-down the best stews and soups in the world, so...

Choose your weapon.

Okay, my first weapon of choice is dakhanmari, which literally means "one chicken."

It's a long cooked chicken broth that they put potato, green onion, radish, big mushroom slices in, along with one half or one whole chicken carcass. It's boiled at the table and you pull out parts and dip them into soy with hot dried chiles or this other... sauce thing.

Then at the end when the broth is cooked down and intense you add hand cut noodles and scarf them down.

Chicken soup.

Plantain.

Blender.

I win.

(For real, though, there is nothing like plantain soup and it is in a class above all other soups for me.)

Dakhanmari sounds pretty great, though.

I think my favorite Chinese soup is probably hot and sour soup with the pig's blood.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Also @Indie Winter I assume turkey floss is the same as pork or chicken floss. It's sooo good.

I can't stand the stuff, it is like the only regular foodstuff around here I really hate.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    So I went out into the Internet to find the best temperature to toast a sandwich at, and I came across this.

Real talk, Bad Food Thread: does anyone really put six slices of ham on a single sandwich? Like, if I get up to three slices of meat I'm making what I feel like is a pretty decadent sandwich.

Yeah super depends on the thickness. If I go to the deli at the store and get them to cut it? Two is plenty. The prepacked stuff is thin to where you can usually see light through it like a window pane
    I like the cold kind.

Boiling meat is super critical for lots of Korean stews and soups, which are hands-down the best stews and soups in the world, so...

Choose your weapon.

Okay, my first weapon of choice is dakhanmari, which literally means "one chicken."

It's a long cooked chicken broth that they put potato, green onion, radish, big mushroom slices in, along with one half or one whole chicken carcass. It's boiled at the table and you pull out parts and dip them into soy with hot dried chiles or this other... sauce thing.

Then at the end when the broth is cooked down and intense you add hand cut noodles and scarf them down.

Chicken soup.

Plantain.

Blender.

I win.

(For real, though, there is nothing like plantain soup and it is in a class above all other soups for me.)

Dakhanmari sounds pretty great, though.

I think my favorite Chinese soup is probably hot and sour soup with the pig's blood.

Fuckin LOVE platanos. I mostly get them when they are super ripe and bake/sautee them and have some crema on the side. Local Spanish supermarket has sour creams from many countries in central america and yeah that place is good people

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    woah woah hang on there

the heck is turkey floss

If you cook it for long enough the muscle strands in the meat seperate and you get a floss like substance. It has good texture and ok flavour.

You mean like pulled pork?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    woah woah hang on there

the heck is turkey floss

nah, fluffier and drier. Google says "meat cotton candy"

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    woah woah hang on there

the heck is turkey floss

Nah man it's dry. Like cotton candy
    blogs_youngandhungry_files_2014_01_devito_pork_floss_2.jpg

• Options
    Did you ever have that weird fluffy beef jerky stuff that came in what looked like a chewing tobacco can? It's like that.

What, was that just my FFA club?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hello consumer. Please enjoy the New McDonald's Uniform
    crew.jpg

We hope your nutrition is adequate

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I think the worst thing I ever smelled was my McDonald's uniform after finishing an 8 hour shift.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hello consumer. Please enjoy the New McDonald's Uniform
    crew.jpg

We hope your nutrition is adequate

EquilibriumStill0021-PrestonFamily.jpg

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Thats the death star cafeteria uniform

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It looks comfy. I don't get the complaints.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This discussion has been closed.