Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Sara's out and Scott free; tag your spoilers.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Skippable autopilot animation is the thing that might get me back into SP.

Now let me mass-open all my crates because I have literally like 150.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    I just met with a hologram of Addison, and when the hologram blinked her eyes were definitely still visible.

Nightmare fuel.

Granted, I played as male Ryder, so I didn't experience the females animations that seem highly contentious; but Addison was the most bizarre model in the game. No other human I encountered had even remotely the level of god awful animations (or lack of) that she had, nor did they have the idiotic clown makeup they decided to give her.

Female Ryder aside, I can't help but wonder if Addison was fixed prior to launch, if the animation issues would have been so highly publicized. She is really bad, and inexplicably so. The animations for any aliens, or notable humans (Sloane, Reyez, etc) were completely fine.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Skipping on the galaxy map is very good, and shows they're listening. Love the game as it is, but that it will probably get better is a good sign

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Skipping on the galaxy map is very good, and shows they're listening. Love the game as it is, but that it will probably get better is a good sign

Yeah, definitely happy for that.

Though the funny thing is, if they would have made it so you have to point your ship toward a direction and simply jet across the galaxy for minutes at a time, fly into the systems and then do your scans or land or w/e, I would have liked that even more.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    A few additional things that I didn't see mentioned in the patch notes here:

https://www.masseffect.com/news/the-journey-ahead
    kmnbs9n4hb39.png

• Options
    edited April 2017

Though the funny thing is, if they would have made it so you have to point your ship toward a direction and simply jet across the galaxy for minutes at a time, fly into the systems and then do your scans or land or w/e, I would have liked that even more.

I don't understand what is different between what you'd prefer and how it currently is?

EDIT: I mean I guess you just select a system instead of pointing your ship?

I would just like to say that the actual flying around systems..system...in ME2/3 wasn't really any better. The ship was functionally a very slow moving cursor; and not in any way faster than the current animation that plays between worlds.

I'd have liked some sort of threat in galaxy map exploring, that was ok in ME3 (but so easy to game it didn't really have a large impact in gameplay), but otherwise, simply trading one slow system for another doesn't seem the best use of time?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    I just met with a hologram of Addison, and when the hologram blinked her eyes were definitely still visible.

Nightmare fuel.

Granted, I played as male Ryder, so I didn't experience the females animations that seem highly contentious; but Addison was the most bizarre model in the game. No other human I encountered had even remotely the level of god awful animations (or lack of) that she had, nor did they have the idiotic clown makeup they decided to give her.

Female Ryder aside, I can't help but wonder if Addison was fixed prior to launch, if the animation issues would have been so highly publicized. She is really bad, and inexplicably so. The animations for any aliens, or notable humans (Sloane, Reyez, etc) were completely fine.

Agree, and I'm playing as Sara. I don't find her bad at all except a little bit of weird smiling.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I have a feeling that this might be what was actually planned.. The whole map seems so fully figured, it might be that they just decided to cut the feature because they couldn't get it right

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Phoenix138 wrote: »

kmnbs9n4hb39.png

Wondering if that latency will make a difference as damn can MP be laggy af at times.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

kmnbs9n4hb39.png

Wondering if that latency will make a difference as damn can MP be laggy af at times.

I don't know why, exactly, but I haven't experienced the sort of rubber banding and desyncing in ME:A's multiplayer, in a multiplayer game in...well...I actually can't remember when. Probably early WoW days.

Even when lag is bad in a game (Destiny), it is accounted for to a decent degree, by what you are seeing and how you are playing. Yes, there is still plenty of lag in multiplayer, but it is less you bouncing back where you were 5 times and more "oh hey, that character is invincible...look at that, a red bar. shocking"

Given EAs focus on multiplayer games for their flagship titles, it is weird that multiplayer in Andromeda feels unusually bad.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2017
    Echo wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Wee, Kineticist got fun now that Throw detonates and then primes again.

...and this seems to be bugged more often than not and Throw doesn't re-prime the target.

From what I've seen it's not that it doesn't prime the target but the the duration of the primed state is really short compared to other primers.

Has to be under a second then, because my Lances sure don't do anything.

edit: and it's on a talent that says it increases the Throw duration by 400%.

Echo on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    TheColonel wrote: »
    What's obnoxious is when you do get some crew banter on a mission or walking about only to have it get cancelled because you accidentally drove/walked into the range of a kett base or into another NPC who starts talking.

What I want? For the NPC conversation trigger to save, wait until the fighter is done, and then have it trigger with a "So as I was saying...<restart audio cue>"

A thousand times this. This forever. Have literally no idea how much banter I've missed because of this. I got people apologizing to each other and I never knew there was beef there, there are counter-jokes being made and I never caught the first one.

I have to basically stop the car when one starts up or I'll worry about missing it and having even less of a clue about what's going on between characters.

In fairness, Ryder is a bit of a clueless doof.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I don't understand what is different between what you'd prefer and how it currently is?

EDIT: I mean I guess you just select a system instead of pointing your ship?

I would just like to say that the actual flying around systems..system...in ME2/3 wasn't really any better. The ship was functionally a very slow moving cursor; and not in any way faster than the current animation that plays between worlds.

I'd have liked some sort of threat in galaxy map exploring, that was ok in ME3 (but so easy to game it didn't really have a large impact in gameplay), but otherwise, simply trading one slow system for another doesn't seem the best use of time?

The key difference between the extended powerpoint transitions that we have now and what I'm talking about is actually being actively engaged in the movement.

Being able to actually fly through the entire expanse of space with a fast travel option for those who don't want to do that would have been much better.I liked the space system in ME 1 and ME 2. ME 2's fueling thing was interesting. Given the whole frontier/survival notes of this iteration, that type of simulation would actually fit a little better too.

edit: as it is, it seems like we got the animated fast travel sequence, but they cut the manually flying bits out. Given what's there, the better solution would be to cut/skip the animation entirely, which we're going to get the option to do.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    My biggest thing with the default Sara complaints is...who the hell plays ME without making their own ShepRyder?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    My biggest thing with the default Sara complaints is...who the hell plays ME without making their own ShepRyder?

I usually use the pre-defined characters because I can't tell you how many times I had to restart in Fallout/Skyrim because my head shape or nose made me look like an alien.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

A lot of people apparently. I was surprised to hear it, but in ME1-3 a lot of people did default.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I hope some of the animation fixes include Ryder's eye position during conversation. Drack's eyes are up here, Ryder.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I resorted to default Ryder in this because I actually could not produce something non-horrific in the CC after 40m of trying.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    female femshape
    hell even male shep
    looked totes better than what you could custom make
    mainly femshep.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

kmnbs9n4hb39.png

I still haven't played a team MP match. I'm hoping the major lag issues are fixed by the time I get around to it. Luckily ME3 is my only other experience with online gaming so I don't have anything better to go off of when it comes to lag/netcode.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

A lot of people apparently. I was surprised to hear it, but in ME1-3 a lot of people did default.

I'm perfectly happy playing stock characters in Bioware games. They are already someone else in a crafted story.

I take more time in character creation in Bethesda games, because those let me define my character
    more.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I used default dude Shepherd for the entirety of the original trilogy.

In ME:A I immediately made a modified FemRyder but that was partly because the stock faces were all terrible.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    I resorted to default Ryder in this because I actually could not produce something non-horrific in the CC after 40m of trying.

Same. The one I did wound up with her right eye a quarter inch higher than her left. I don't know what option did that because the base head doesn't look that way.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    female femshape
    hell even male shep
    looked totes better than what you could custom make
    mainly femshep.

That was always true for the male option, but default FemShep looked pretty bad until ME3.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Finally beat the game, can safely move on to multiplayer now I suppose. Ninety eight percent complete too, wasn't aiming for one hundred but got surprisingly close.

Fucking lost it earlier today, was tired of running around for movie day and wanted to get it over with finally. When I returned to the Tempest to do the final bit, I went to go finish the retrieval.

Except, Liam kept running away from me. My exact thoughts were, "stop running away from me you piece of shit so I can talk to you." Ran to where he was supposed to end up...and then bugged out. And kept walking up the ramp to the vid call area. If I ran towards him he started sprinting (by the way that's actually a nifty feature, NPCs will actually run to get out of your way rather than staying true to their defined paths and slowing you down as much as possible). Finally he ran into a wall so I figured alright cool HE'S FINALLY GOING TO STOP I JUST WANNA CHILL OUT AND WATCH A MOVIE WITH VETRA.

He actually just jumped through the ceiling and ended up outside said wall. In outer fucking space. Without any outer fucking space gear on. This is where I lost it and started laughing.

And that wasn't enough, he decided to keep running alongside the window towards the spot that he was supposed to be waiting at before deciding nah, I'm not far enough in outer fucking space and straight up ran out into the great unknown, falling off the Tempest. I kinda just stood there for a few seconds blankly before turning around, figuring I would have to land on a planet and return but he kinda just walked by and ran back to his stupid little terminal against the wall.

Look I don't care how much it breaks immersion, glitches and faults like that are absolutely hilarious and I love them.

butts
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The best part of the game is the gravity lifts. When you go up them the door closes and locks your friends in behind you. Never to be seen again.

In the first vault the I locked my allies into the
    purification field
    as a door closed right as i ran through.

I laughed pretty hard.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The best part of the game is the gravity lifts. When you go up them the door closes and locks your friends in behind you. Never to be seen again.

In the first vault the I locked my allies into the
    purification field
    as a door closed right as i ran through.

I laughed pretty hard.

Yeah, there's some Master Chief co-op partner level abandonment going on with those lifts.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'm really hoping Bioware has had someone for the last two weeks working on alternate Asari faces. It's insane that that made it into the final release it is glaringly obvious.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    My new favorite bug is a squaddie becoming unrevivable after getting sync killed by one of the large aliens. What makes it fun is that the squaddie can still banter with my other squadmate despite their body being elsewhere.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I typically take one of the default faces and make a few minor adjustments.

In ME1 I spent like an hour making a passable facsimile of myself only to discover about 30 seconds into the game that the lightest skin tone made him look like an albino. Remembering that with MEA, I cleverly chose the second-lightest skin tone. Now half the time he looks fine, the other half he looks like he got a spray tan.

But he vaguely resembles Rob Lowe so I just pretend he is a slightly less cheerful Chris Traeger.

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    My new favorite bug is a squaddie becoming unrevivable after getting sync killed by one of the large aliens. What makes it fun is that the squaddie can still banter with my other squadmate despite their body being elsewhere.

GHOSTS!!!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Patch notes sound good.

I'd like to see open world games stick around, if only so devs get better at making them, and gamers get better at playing them.

Even superb open world games with handcrafted, really well done content like W3 suffer from players bingeing on it long after the repetition numbs any appreciation for what they're seeing.

Seriously, the urge to clear one's map of content markers has a really low satisfaction outcome (fillin' those bars) at a really high cost to enjoyment.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    So uh use caution when crossing a shuttle landing platform.

ji9i87z93beu.jpg

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Also devs are caught in a catch 22: limit exploration and you're criticized for making a linear corridor simulator; create an open world and players will complain it's either empty or too full of stuff to see that your main plot becomes meaningless.

Just curate your own experience and take some responsibility for the way you play

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I appreciate that was accounted for by some existing game system.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Patch notes sound good.

I'd like to see open world games stick around, if only so devs get better at making them, and gamers get better at playing them.

Devs have had quite a few years to figure out open world games, but they all stick to the same formula while rarely adding anything unique. It's not that "gamers are doing it wrong". Every game becomes the same bland thing when all you do is clear enemy outposts, unlock radio towers, and gather resources for crafting.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Speaking of shuttles, I discovered last night that you can stand on them and ride off into the sky! Or at least until you hit the top of the map and fall through it.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Patch notes sound good.

Devs have had quite a few years to figure out open world games, but they all stick to the same formula while rarely adding anything unique. It's not that "gamers are doing it wrong". Every game becomes the same bland thing when all you do is clear enemy outposts, unlock radio towers, and gather resources for crafting.

Eh this had some fun exploration and didn't feel like an Ubisoft game. Like I discovered quests just by picking a spot and driving over there, as to why I wanted to do that, because it was there? Like I recall my favorite thing about Black Flag was just sailing the pirate ship, and the worst part was doing the story mode. Andromeda to me had a fun map to explore, and little nugget quests to get me to explore.

Some people didn't like it, but even mainlining it for a week I never felt I was just checking boxes and I've grown to hate the ubi soft open world game oeuvre.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Patch notes sound good.

This is largely valid, but games like W3 had enormous diversity and got the same criticism. At some point the common factor is the player, not the game.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Also devs are caught in a catch 22: limit exploration and you're criticized for making a linear corridor simulator; create an open world and players will complain it's either empty or too full of stuff to see that your main plot becomes meaningless.

Just curate your own experience and take some responsibility for the way you play

That works until you realize that largely you don't know whether content is good or not until you play it, especially in a story-based game like ME. Like yeah, if a marker says it's part of the mineral scanning quest, I'm not going to do that. But most of the quests in this game are written in a way that they could be interesting, and you don't know until you do it whether or not it's successful. Personally, I've found that they aren't often enough that I wish they had culled some of the worst stuff, even if it didn't result in improvements elsewhere.

Or like the monolith quests: I dug going through those on Eos. My 2nd planet was Voeld, where I am now, and I still do them because I assume they unlock stuff with the vaults or something, but I don't know what they do. They seem pretty freaking important, but the actual mechanics of that quest no longer interest me. What am I supposed to do in that situation?

This discussion has been closed.