Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Sara's out and Scott free; tag your spoilers.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The monoliths open the vault on the planet.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Patch notes sound good.

I'd like to see open world games stick around, if only so devs get better at making them, and gamers get better at playing them.

Even superb open world games with handcrafted, really well done content like W3 suffer from players bingeing on it long after the repetition numbs any appreciation for what they're seeing.

Seriously, the urge to clear one's map of content markers has a really low satisfaction outcome (fillin' those bars) at a really high cost to enjoyment.

Zelda doesn't have any actual quest markers on the map except the one that you have selected. It's beautiful to not have to worry about the 50 or so markers that are littered everywhere... You can do it one at a time.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Also devs are caught in a catch 22: limit exploration and you're criticized for making a linear corridor simulator; create an open world and players will complain it's either empty or too full of stuff to see that your main plot becomes meaningless.

Just curate your own experience and take some responsibility for the way you play

That works until you realize that largely you don't know whether content is good or not until you play it, especially in a story-based game like ME. Like yeah, if a marker says it's part of the mineral scanning quest, I'm not going to do that. But most of the quests in this game are written in a way that they could be interesting, and you don't know until you do it whether or not it's successful. Personally, I've found that they aren't often enough that I wish they had culled some of the worst stuff, even if it didn't result in improvements elsewhere.

Or like the monolith quests: I dug going through those on Eos. My 2nd planet was Voeld, where I am now, and I still do them because I assume they unlock stuff with the vaults or something, but I don't know what they do. They seem pretty freaking important, but the actual mechanics of that quest no longer interest me. What am I supposed to do in that situation?

This is super valid too, the whole question of novelty in mechanics, storytelling, and whether or not the player needs a change at that point (or will change if given the option).

I think one of the strongest elements in ME2 wasn't that it was a linear corridor shooter, but that they tried hard to make each mission, loyalty or otherwise, feel different. You were essentially shoehorned into a tasting menu of gameplay and atmosphere. Short, sweet, and out of your hands.

Whereas andromeda is more of a truly large buffet, and players are complaining that they got full because they filled up on 1 dish.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm really glad they did the "get the hell out of the hinterlands" radiation zone thing because holy crap some of those areas are absolutely enormous once they open up.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I'm really glad they did the "get the hell out of the hinterlands" radiation zone thing because holy crap some of those areas are absolutely enormous once they open up.

Eos basically triples in size O_o

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Speaking of voeld the game decided i was not allowed to manual save on Voeld, even though i completed my priority mission there* and was just knocking out side content. I tried switching the mission i was tracking and everything. Eventually just went back to my ship.

the moshae is terrible and i hate her.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about though those outer edges seem absent of anything very interesting except for super annoying fans.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Speaking of voeld the game decided i was not allowed to manual save on Voeld, even though i completed my priority mission there* and was just knocking out side content. I tried switching the mission i was tracking and everything. Eventually just went back to my ship.

the moshae is terrible and i hate her.

You're terrible and I hate you!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    My new favorite bug is a squaddie becoming unrevivable after getting sync killed by one of the large aliens. What makes it fun is that the squaddie can still banter with my other squadmate despite their body being elsewhere.

GHOSTS!!!

Along these same lines I learned recently that if you start up a cutscene conversation while in combat the combat continues and you still take damage.

Leading to comedy gold as Ryder stands there having a casual conversation just ignoring the fact that he's slowly being mauled death and eventually falling over dead, but he'll be damned if that stops him from continuing to sass.

• Options
    Also if you have your scanner up when you walk into a conversation your view just stays where you had the scanner pointed. As someone who basically always has my scanner out (I know about the icon and the notification but damnit what if it misses something?) I've run into this a few times if I walk into a cutscene on accident.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I'm 60 hours in and level 45 and finally got around to maybe trying to create a second "favourite" so I can switch to more styles on the fly. Holy hell - how does it even work? I tore my hair out trying to get skills set up into a second "favourite" profile. I finally did it - now how do I switch on the fly? Do I have to go into the profile menu and switch manually or is there a hotkey? Do I have to use the tab key for the radial menu? Honestly they could not have made this system any more obtuse.

PS loving the game otherwise. SP is a blast. Barely scratched the surface of MP, that'll have to wait as I'm having too much fun in SP.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    envoy1 wrote: »
    I'm 60 hours in and level 45 and finally got around to maybe trying to create a second "favourite" so I can switch to more styles on the fly. Holy hell - how does it even work? I tore my hair out trying to get skills set up into a second "favourite" profile. I finally did it - now how do I switch on the fly? Do I have to go into the profile menu and switch manually or is there a hotkey? Do I have to use the tab key for the radial menu? Honestly they could not have made this system any more obtuse.

PS loving the game otherwise. SP is a blast. Barely scratched the surface of MP, that'll have to wait as I'm having too much fun in SP.

Go into the radial menu, there is a shortcut to favorites listed below the radial menu. edit: for Xbox its "X" once inside the radial menu, iirc.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I want to be able to yell at SAM through kinect like the DadFinder

FuriousJodo on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017

:whistle: You dont have to be lonely

at Dadfinder dot com :whistle:

edit: yes it would pretty awesome to be able to change profiles through the kinect

ObiFett on
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular

If you're on PC, the different Profile hotkeys are F1 thru F4 by default.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I just met with a hologram of Addison, and when the hologram blinked her eyes were definitely still visible.

Nightmare fuel.

Granted, I played as male Ryder, so I didn't experience the females animations that seem highly contentious; but Addison was the most bizarre model in the game. No other human I encountered had even remotely the level of god awful animations (or lack of) that she had, nor did they have the idiotic clown makeup they decided to give her.

Female Ryder aside, I can't help but wonder if Addison was fixed prior to launch, if the animation issues would have been so highly publicized. She is really bad, and inexplicably so. The animations for any aliens, or notable humans (Sloane, Reyez, etc) were completely fine.

I have played fem shep and other than a couple oddities I have not really been bothered by her facial animations yet. Addison especially the weird my face is tired conversation is very out of left field WTF. I am baffled by what was going on with her there but I really don't interact with her that often so pretty minor issue.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

:whistle: You dont have to be lonely

at Dadfinder dot com :whistle:

edit: yes it would pretty awesome to be able to change profiles through the kinect

Does VoiceAttack have an Xbox app? That would probably work.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    My biggest thing with the default Sara complaints is...who the hell plays ME without making their own ShepRyder?

I did it specifically because so many were complaining I figured I may as well try the default and experience it first hand. Overall she looks fine there are a few animation oddities from time to time but nothing yet that has made me annoyed or bothered me.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular

If you're on PC, the different Profile hotkeys are F1 thru F4 by default.

Mind. Blown.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's amazing how the never-ending game hints will tell you shit like "hit s to slow down!"

And yet never tell you things like "use T to fast travel back to the Tempest" or "use F1-F4 to change profiles!"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Also devs are caught in a catch 22: limit exploration and you're criticized for making a linear corridor simulator; create an open world and players will complain it's either empty or too full of stuff to see that your main plot becomes meaningless.

Just curate your own experience and take some responsibility for the way you play

The problem is that we as gamers have been trained for basically all of our lives that the content needs to be done. How many games locked the best endings behind completionist requirements? How many games locked X or Y away until Z? I'd say Bioware was one of the key players in this in the past with requiring you do to most if not all of the side content to get sufficient GoodGuy/Asshole points to unlock key dialog/endings. It's just in the past that being completionist in KOTOR or ME2 wasn't actually that high of a bar, and most of that side content was at least somewhat worthwhile. Now we get "collect 14 minerals over 7 planets for 200 credits." But we're trained to do these because "what if I need that one mineral to build the final weapon". It's hard, mentally, to escape the conditioning. At least it is for me, which leads to burnout.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm at lvl 45 and didn't know I could change profiles.

I'm just sticking to soldier, fuck all this noise it doesn't even matter at this point, just Widow and Sidewinder everything and move 10 meters to the next random enemies.

Tried using the asari sword then it made me teleport with stupid biotics and I was all "nope", went back to Kett Katana.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I'm just sticking to soldier, fuck all this noise it doesn't even matter at this point, just Widow and Sidewinder everything and move 10 meters to the next random enemies.

Tried using the asari sword then it made me teleport with stupid biotics and I was all "nope", went back to Kett Katana.

Man, no offense, but that just sounds boring. You can play a third person shooter anytime... In Mass Effect you go with Biotics/Tech for the unique kills and stuff.

Different strokes/different folks I know.

• Options
    I really wish the gear was a bit more robust. I'm basically stuck wearing Angara stuff because I want the Tech boosts. I would have liked it if the different races all had their own Tech/Bio/whatever gear so that I could mix and match a bit more.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    One thing I like about the team banter is that it's made clear they're always sitting in the back. Pyjak as front passenger confirmed.

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »

The problem is that we as gamers have been trained for basically all of our lives that the content needs to be done. How many games locked the best endings behind completionist requirements? How many games locked X or Y away until Z? I'd say Bioware was one of the key players in this in the past with requiring you do to most if not all of the side content to get sufficient GoodGuy/Asshole points to unlock key dialog/endings. It's just in the past that being completionist in KOTOR or ME2 wasn't actually that high of a bar, and most of that side content was at least somewhat worthwhile. Now we get "collect 14 minerals over 7 planets for 200 credits." But we're trained to do these because "what if I need that one mineral to build the final weapon". It's hard, mentally, to escape the conditioning. At least it is for me, which leads to burnout.

I'm in the same boat, believe me. I only wish i could practice what i preach. :P

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    I really wish the gear was a bit more robust. I'm basically stuck wearing Angara stuff because I want the Tech boosts. I would have liked it if the different races all had their own Tech/Bio/whatever gear so that I could mix and match a bit more.

You need to find your inner fashionista, tech bonuses be damned!

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    I did spend a long time deciding on the colors for that hoodie.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I want to fight just wearing my sweet leather jacket.
    MAKE IT SO BIOWARE

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Heleus defender armor for life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    So, one of the things that I find interesting about their selection of preset faces—lack or minimal touchups aside—is that the majority of them are either a) non-white or b) outside the spectrum of general attractiveness. Which is to say that even if they had adjusted certain things about those faces, they'd still be normal everyday faces. While the source of the default faces for the Ryder twins happen to fall very strongly along those lines of general attractiveness. Racial connotations aside, the other responses that I've read about the faces are that people don't play these games to look "normal." Sometimes citing other games where "ugly" involves generating characters with what would be physical deformities IRL.

Like, this image below is from comes from a 2015 survey taken by Dr. Chris Solomon of the University of Kent and more or less involved a process of compositing faces into what would be considered the epitome of beauty for that population (Source). That's about as close to the original release that I can trace to; the article has been heavily aggregated, and salted with other opinions. If the faces, etc possible have even been mentioned already within the context of ME:A too, idk. It should be noted that I am not suggesting that they cast those two because of this survey, I think it's coincidental more than anything. There's naturally some variation between American/other beauty standards too as it was a UK-only sample, natch.
    most-beautiful-people-uk.jpg

Here's shots of the models and whatnot:
    tumblr_ojd95z4IHS1ubh1kvo1_1280.png

But I think part of the reason that people are voicing such a strong "the presets/faces are ugly" thing is that gap. You can be a face that falls into the ideal or... just normal face with wonky sliders. Whether or not Sara's face model has been over manipulated or whatever, I don't know... I've left that argument alone intentionally in this post.

Also curious to know what the actual face models for the cyberscans think about how their appearances are being bashed to high hell on the internet and back. Especially Addison's model.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »

I was the same until DA:I. I really enjoyed the middle portion of that game and then I made an effort to 100% everything before I started the end mission. By the time I got there I had long since stopped caring about the villain and his evil plan. When I read ME:A would allow you to continue to complete side stuff after the ending I made an effort to make use of it. I think it helped greatly.

Also the UI gets a fair amount of deserved criticism but it feels like they were trying to be helpful with how the missions or organized in folders in the journal. Priority missions at the top, then ally missions, then location specific, the additional tasks. Maybe in the next game part of the tutorial could include pointing out that only the top two really matter as far as the ending is concerned.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Hmm...I actually think most of the lady faces are okay to attractive. Some I like even better than default Sara tbh.

The dude faces I don't even think its a case of them being non-white...they're just kind of lumpy in a weird way.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

That works until you realize that largely you don't know whether content is good or not until you play it, especially in a story-based game like ME. Like yeah, if a marker says it's part of the mineral scanning quest, I'm not going to do that. But most of the quests in this game are written in a way that they could be interesting, and you don't know until you do it whether or not it's successful. Personally, I've found that they aren't often enough that I wish they had culled some of the worst stuff, even if it didn't result in improvements elsewhere.

Or like the monolith quests: I dug going through those on Eos. My 2nd planet was Voeld, where I am now, and I still do them because I assume they unlock stuff with the vaults or something, but I don't know what they do. They seem pretty freaking important, but the actual mechanics of that quest no longer interest me. What am I supposed to do in that situation?

This is super valid too, the whole question of novelty in mechanics, storytelling, and whether or not the player needs a change at that point (or will change if given the option).

I think one of the strongest elements in ME2 wasn't that it was a linear corridor shooter, but that they tried hard to make each mission, loyalty or otherwise, feel different. You were essentially shoehorned into a tasting menu of gameplay and atmosphere. Short, sweet, and out of your hands.

Whereas andromeda is more of a truly large buffet, and players are complaining that they got full because they filled up on 1 dish.

I also think a lot players are raising the wrong issue. They're complaining that the buffet is too big rather than pointing out that some of the dishes are poop on a plate. I refuse to complain about too much content in a game I like. Down that path lies madness. I will, however, complain about content that's bad, no matter how much or how little of it there is. More is, as they say, better. But with that in mind, accounting for the quantity of content in the design of a game is part of making that content good. There can't be too much or too little content, there's only good or bad content.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

Man, no offense, but that just sounds boring. You can play a third person shooter anytime... In Mass Effect you go with Biotics/Tech for the unique kills and stuff.

Different strokes/different folks I know.

well, the combat is rather boring. run into group of enemies, use a special, use another, fire weapon, dash around, one enemy in the bunch will break your shield, hide, cover spray until shield is up, repeat.

it's always been boring in the games outside of the ME3 multiplayer, it's just a means to an end to get more story. It's just the story this time is rather eh.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    So, one of the things that I find interesting about their selection of preset faces—lack or minimal touchups aside—is that the majority of them are either a) non-white or b) outside the spectrum of general attractiveness. Which is to say that even if they had adjusted certain things about those faces, they'd still be normal everyday faces. While the source of the default faces for the Ryder twins happen to fall very strongly along those lines of general attractiveness. Racial connotations aside, the other responses that I've read about the faces are that people don't play these games to look "normal." Sometimes citing other games where "ugly" involves generating characters with what would be physical deformities IRL.

Like, this image below is from comes from a 2015 survey taken by Dr. Chris Solomon of the University of Kent and more or less involved a process of compositing faces into what would be considered the epitome of beauty for that population (Source). That's about as close to the original release that I can trace to; the article has been heavily aggregated, and salted with other opinions. If the faces, etc possible have even been mentioned already within the context of ME:A too, idk. It should be noted that I am not suggesting that they cast those two because of this survey, I think it's coincidental more than anything. There's naturally some variation between American/other beauty standards too as it was a UK-only sample, natch.

But I think part of the reason that people are voicing such a strong "the presets/faces are ugly" thing is that gap. You can be a face that falls into the ideal or... just normal face with wonky sliders. Whether or not Sara's face model has been over manipulated or whatever, I don't know... I've left that argument alone intentionally in this post.

Also curious to know what the actual face models for the cyberscans think about how their appearances are being bashed to high hell on the internet and back. Especially Addison's model.

As long as the model for Addison doesn't possess a human face somehow glued over one of those CPR dummies from swim lessons at the Y, I don't think she should take anything she reads about her computer incarnation, you know, personally.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Hmm...I actually think most of the lady faces are okay to attractive. Some I like even better than default Sara tbh.

The dude faces I don't even think its a case of them being non-white...they're just kind of lumpy in a weird way.

The facial hair options are atrocious, and I was unable to achieve a skin color that wasn't "vaguely orange". I'd rather play default than look like a Woolly Willy after a horrific bronzer accident.

• Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular

I hope they're not paying too much attention to it. I played ME3 a long time before I discovered that the embedded reporter, forget her name off the top of my head, was supposed to be attractive. Or at least was based on someone in the gaming industry who is attractive. There was a pretty big gap between the two of them imo.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »

As long as the model for Addison doesn't possess a human face somehow glued over one of those CPR dummies from swim lessons at the Y, I don't think she should take anything she reads about her computer incarnation, you know, personally.

Seems appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy7p7TRM5oA

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »

I know I've seen someone rework her to have not terrible lighting and normal make-up, and she looks perfectly fine. It isn't an issue with whoever provided the face scan for her, but what Bioware did with it.

This discussion has been closed.