As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Since the sale is on, I bought some songs off of my wishlist:

Tesla - Modern Day Cowboy
    I love this song but was scared off by having watched the lead playthrough and thinking that was basically both parts. Thinking I was maybe ready, I tried out rhythm first and found it actually pretty easy and fun. I'll tackle lead in the near future.

Dio - Rainbow in the Dark
    Started this one but was put off by the strange fingering pattern, so I'll get back to it when I'm in the mood to really dig in.

Def Leppard - Rock of Ages
    I'm a long time Def Leppard fan, so this is mainly for nostalgia. The song itself is very simple, but fun if you like it.

Poison - Nothing But a Good Time
    I was kind of scared by this one, but actually trying it out, it's not bad at all and quite fun. One of those great "feel like an 80's rockstar" songs. Pretty much A - G - D for the whole song.

Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the World
    Fairly easy as well, but a lot of fun if you like the song. I've heard a lot of complaints that it's pitch-shifted to make it in standard tuning, but I don't notice unless I hear them side by side.

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The DLC June 26th, 2018 is Joan Jett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAeJbiDGEik

“Bad Reputation” by Joan Jett - E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Crimson & Clover” by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “I Hate Myself For Loving You” by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

I'm just debating picking this up now and waiting for the Thanksgiving or Christmas sale.

Sorry for the late post. Vacation and the World Cup have mostly kept me away from the computer.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    The DLC June 26th, 2018 is Joan Jett.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAeJbiDGEik

“Bad Reputation” by Joan Jett - E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Crimson & Clover” by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “I Hate Myself For Loving You” by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

I'm just debating picking this up now and waiting for the Thanksgiving or Christmas sale.

Sorry for the late post. Vacation and the World Cup have mostly kept me away from the computer.

Will definitely be picking it up as soon as my refretted guitar is back in my eager little hands.

• Options
    The DLC for July 3rd, 2018 is 70's Mix IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmNjmtgT4oM

“Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve)” by Buzzcocks - E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Who Do You Love?” by George Thorogood – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Jungle Love” by Steve Miller Band – E Standard – Lead/Bass; Open A - Rhythm

I would have sworn that Buzzcocks song was on Rocksmith already.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    The DLC for July 3rd, 2018 is 70's Mix IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmNjmtgT4oM

“Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t’ve)” by Buzzcocks - E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Who Do You Love?” by George Thorogood – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Jungle Love” by Steve Miller Band – E Standard – Lead/Bass; Open A - Rhythm

I would have sworn that Buzzcocks song was on Rocksmith already.

Will definitely be getting that one as well, as soon as my guitar is back in my greedy little hands.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I never heard of the Buzzcocks before

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I never heard of the Buzzcocks before

It's a name I've heard before, but I don't think I ever associated them with a specific song until now. (And I did recognize the song as something I'd heard before, but couldn't say where or when or whom it was by until now.)

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Even as an old fart, I know of the buzzcocks, but never really cared for their music. Does the Steve Miller song sound weird to anyone else? I have quite a bit of his songs and that version sounded odd/off to me.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    I have my newly-refretted guitar back! And now that it's refretted, my playing is … well, about the same as before, except now I can play specific notes where the frets were too worn down previously. Still, it's nice! And (since they also had to restring it, obviously) I'd forgotten just how good a brand new set of strings can feel. Should probably restring my acoustic. And my Appalachian dulcimer, for that matter.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I found this interesting: https://news.ubisoft.com/article/rocksmith–what-is-the-most-played-dlc-song

Kind of surprised at the top song (Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden). It's one of my top played, and a lot of fun, but I didn't expect it to be among the top played for everyone. I think I only have 3 of the top 30.

• Options
    I found this interesting: https://news.ubisoft.com/article/rocksmith–what-is-the-most-played-dlc-song

Kind of surprised at the top song (Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden). It's one of my top played, and a lot of fun, but I didn't expect it to be among the top played for everyone. I think I only have 3 of the top 30.

Interesting stuff -- the one in the top 30 that actually surprised me was that Bach fugue in G minor.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

Interesting stuff -- the one in the top 30 that actually surprised me was that Bach fugue in G minor.

I don't know if I've played that particular one yet, but I've played several of the Bachsmith songs and they're actually quite fun. They take a classical song and do it in a certain style, like jazz or rock. They don't sound like they should work, but somehow they do.

• Options
    Where’s my Run DMC news????

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

I don't know if I've played that particular one yet, but I've played several of the Bachsmith songs and they're actually quite fun. They take a classical song and do it in a certain style, like jazz or rock. They don't sound like they should work, but somehow they do.

Yeah, I have those and I've at least noodled with all of them -- need to spend more time on the one that's kind of in the style of Django Reinhardt. (Is that the one we're talking about here?) I was just surprised that it got enough traction to make it to top 30.

• Options
    The DLC for July 10th, 2018 is Run-D.M.C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aylEttukOnQ

“It’s Tricky” - E Standard – Lead/Bass; D Standard - Rhythm
    “Rock Box” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “King Of Rock” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Run-DMC was an American hip hop group from Hollis, Queens, New York, founded in 1981 by Joseph Simmons, Darryl McDaniels, and Jason Mizell. Run-DMC is widely acknowledged as one of the most influential acts in the history of hip hop culture and one of the most famous hip-hop acts of the 1980s.

If you're looking to pick up a few easy 100s, this would be the pack. It's cool that they're adding more variety, but I'll take a pass on this one.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Take it easy; they usually post the video just after 9am pacific.

To be honest, I'm not sure how I can seem to remember to update the thread in a timely manner when every week I get an "oh yeah, it's Tuesday" moment that seems to come as a shock to me.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Dang, 24th fret action on Rock Box. I kinda dig that one, might have to pick it up.

• Options

To be honest, I'm not sure how I can seem to remember to update the thread in a timely manner when every week I get an "oh yeah, it's Tuesday" moment that seems to come as a shock to me.

Sorry if it came across as pushy. Didn’t mean it that way at all. As someone that used to post the updates and ran the challenges I appreciate your effort!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

Sorry if it came across as pushy. Didn’t mean it that way at all. As someone that used to post the updates and ran the challenges I appreciate your effort!

No offense taken. I didn't take it as being pushy, just that you were excited.

The updates are actually a bit of a break. I'll be getting frustrated at something at work, then I look down and realize I can take a couple of minutes for the weekly post.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I’ll admit to being a Run dmc fan and was excited to see what songs they might pick. But not nostalgic enough to pick them up.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Oh baby, "This Love" by Pantera is confirmed as one of next week's DLC. I wonder if it's a whole pack of them. I'll most likely pick that one up, at least.

Edit: And also, this was already in the pipeline before Vinnie Paul passed away, so strange timing.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    The DLC for July 17th, 2018 is Variety Pack XIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rpfpFrxJQ

“I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” by The Proclaimers - E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    "Rebel Rouser” by Duane Eddy – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Feeling Good” by Nina Simone – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “This Love” by Pantera – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Sorry Sir Carcass, just a single track for you. While I do like Rebel Rouser and Feeling Good, they look a little dull to play.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Purchased!

I actually saw the Proclaimers in concert a few years ago. It was funny -- the voices were still the same, and they were as energetic as ever, but these days they look like a couple of dads when they're up on stage.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Purchased!

I actually saw the Proclaimers in concert a few years ago. It was funny -- the voices were still the same, and they were as energetic as ever, but these days they look like a couple of dads when they're up on stage.

Had that same experience at a They Might Be Giants show a few years ago. They still sounded the same, but they’ve definitely aged.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Purchased!

Had that same experience at a They Might Be Giants show a few years ago. They still sounded the same, but they’ve definitely aged.

Actually, if I really think about it, in both cases it's probably more like younger, hipper grandfathers these days.

• Options
    Newflash, the 90's was like 25 years ago. ;)

I might buy that Proclaimers song, too. I'll have to see what it looks like. Definitely getting Pantera, though.

• Options
    The Proclaimers song, for better or worse, is basically just E, A, B, repeat. They do throw in one C# minor just to mix things up a bit … I had fun with it.

The Duane Eddy song is also a good one.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Oh neat, apparently Reddit is running a weekly song challenge.

I wonder if we could piggy back off it, and just post scores in here, just to keep people engaged.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    The DLC for July 24th, 2018 is Joni Mitchell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad4gFDjLJ3Y

“Big Yellow Taxi” – Open E – Lead; E Standard – Alt Lead/Bass; Capo Required – Rhythm
    “Both Sides, Now” – Eb Standard – Lead/Alt Lead; Capo Required – Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “A Case Of You” – Eb Standard – Lead; Capo Required – Rhythm; E Standard - Bass

Time to pull out the acoustic and play some folk rock. Well, not me, but hopefully some of you.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    That just made me realize I want some Counting Crows.

Edit: I just realized Big Yellow Taxi is in Open E tuning. Interesting.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    This week, a bunch of songs from Ubisoft games:

“The Ballad Of Clutch Nixon” by The Road Vikings – E Standard – Bass; Custom Tuning: B Standard - Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm
    “Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag Main Theme” by Brian Tyler – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Blood Dragon Theme (Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon)” by Power Glove – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Strategy And Spying” by Billy Martin – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Ezio’s Family” by Jesper Kyd – E Standard – Lead/Alt Rhythm; Drop D – Rhythm/Bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6bKG3-E_vg

Kind of thinking I'll pass.

• Options
    On the plus side, the whole pack is only $5. I think it's a super cool idea to use music from their own games, though I'm not really fan of transcribing other instruments to guitar, which some of these do. The Ballad of Clutch Nixon looks pretty fun (IMO), as does Ezio's Family.

• Options
    On the plus side, the whole pack is only $5. I think it's a super cool idea to use music from their own games, though I'm not really fan of transcribing other instruments to guitar, which some of these do. The Ballad of Clutch Nixon looks pretty fun (IMO), as does Ezio's Family.

Didn't check the price but yes, $5 is certainly reasonable. For me, it's not the fact that it's game music; it's just that none of the excerpts really called out to me. (Although I do have the soundtrack for Blood Dragon in iTunes somewhere.)

• Options
    And I just watched a video of Joni Mitchell performing A Case of You from back in the early 1980s, and I didn't realize she was actually playing Appalachian dulcimer -- need to get mine out and start messing around with it.

• Options
    The DLC for August 7th, 2018 is Greta Van Fleet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhQ6Y7XcF2Q

“Highway Tune” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Black Smoke Rising” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Safari Song” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Greta Van Fleet is an American rock band from Frankenmuth, Michigan, formed in 2012. The band's heavy rock sound is influenced by the work of Led Zeppelin and many other rock and blues acts, with lead vocalist Josh Kiszka having a voice that has been compared to Robert Plant's "husky howl."

Not a terrible sounding band, but I won't be picking up anything until I can get Rocksmith working again after the last Windows update.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    I just can't get into them, mostly due to the singer. He sounds like a kid doing a bad Robert Plant impression, to me, with a crazy amount of auto-tune. It's a shame because the songs themselves look pretty decent to play.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    is influenced by the work of Led Zeppelin

Jeez, they weren't kidding...

• Options
    I described them as if Steve Harrington from Stranger Things started a Zeppelin cover band. Having said which, I did pick up the pack and have had fun with the songs.
    The DLC for August 7th, 2018 is Greta Van Fleet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhQ6Y7XcF2Q

“Highway Tune” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Black Smoke Rising” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Safari Song” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Greta Van Fleet is an American rock band from Frankenmuth, Michigan, formed in 2012. The band's heavy rock sound is influenced by the work of Led Zeppelin and many other rock and blues acts, with lead vocalist Josh Kiszka having a voice that has been compared to Robert Plant's "husky howl."

Not a terrible sounding band, but I won't be picking up anything until I can get Rocksmith working again after the last Windows update.

What problems are you having? I'm also playing on Windows but haven't had any difficulties (well, except for the relatively infrequent crashes to desktop).

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The windows update reset all my sound options so the output was set to my monitor and input to the microphone instead of the optical out and rocksmith usb that it should've been.

Took way longer than I'd like to admit to figure that out and get going again

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    The weird thing I had with output is that it didn't seem to change anything when setting the output from the start bar. Had to go through the settings menu to make it stick. Still sorting out the input, which Windows claims to know that it's a Rocksmith cable.

Pony wrote: