As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Yeah, another pass for me.

They should license some Yngwie Malmsteen so that I'd have an excuse to wedge my puffy, middle-aged body into some leather pants.

You don't need an excuse to do that!

Indeed, leather pants are their own reward.

I can play some passable Yngwie to tempo while doing some sloppy 3 and 4 string sweeps, but no way could I do pre-car wreck Yngwie when he alternate picked everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auR9pQ2FjCI

That fast scale run that starts at 2:02 still floors me, 25 years after I first watched it. His right hand is a freaking machine.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I remember rhythm on Summer Song being fun to play. All of Satriani’s lead stuff is still beyond me, though.

I remember how vocal he got about the change in music then is when I first heard him
    Now he just complains about how electronic music is

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm really enjoying "Christian Woman". The acoustic part has been tough on my fingers since I haven't played much over the past month, but it's coming around. I'm up to 91% now, which with my questionable detection isn't bad. I really want more Type O-Negative now.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm really enjoying "Christian Woman". The acoustic part has been tough on my fingers since I haven't played much over the past month, but it's coming around. I'm up to 91% now, which with my questionable detection isn't bad. I really want more Type O-Negative now.

You need to invest in some giant Peter Steele Frankenstein boots and maybe it will happen.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I don't know who does the images for the Rocksmith subreddit, but they always crack me up:

2x569gz2l1dm.png

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The DLC for September 18th, 2018 is Stone Sour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kZp21V63vo

“Absolute Zero” – C# Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Say You’ll Haunt Me” – C# Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bother” – Eb Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Stone Sour is an American rock band formed in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1992, performing for five years, before disbanding in 1997. They reunited in 2000 and since 2006, the group has consisted of Corey Taylor (lead vocals, guitar), Josh Rand (guitar), and Roy Mayorga (drums). Longtime members Joel Ekman (drums, percussion) and Shawn Economaki (bass guitar) left the band in 2006 and 2011, respectively. Former lead guitarist Jim Root left in 2014.

It doesn't actually look too bad to play, but C# Standard is a bit of a non-starter for me.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Ooh, Bother. I like that one. Will probably pick it up, even though it's Eb.

Edit: I say probably as I immediately buy it. Will give impressions after lunch.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Oh man, my barring muscles have atrophied. Bother is pretty simple, but it's pretty much barring the whole time, and my hand hurts. It's definitely good for a workout in that respect.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    The latest addition to the menagerie.

caftsvi0y34j.png

• Options
    That's a pretty nice couch, but it's hard to see with that bass in the way.

• Options

I do love my couch, to be clear.

The bass is nothing fancy -- just a relatively cheap Ibanez I ordered from Amazon -- but it'll work well enough for plugging into Rocksmith and noodling.

• Options

I do love my couch, to be clear.

The bass is nothing fancy -- just a relatively cheap Ibanez I ordered from Amazon -- but it'll work well enough for plugging into Rocksmith and noodling.

My bass is a cheap Jackson I think I paid $150 for, and while it may not sound amazing (it's good, but it could be much better with some upgrades), it's still designed like a Jackson and plays amazingly.

• Options
    And having now had a chance to plug it in and run through a couple of songs: The bass is actually a very different instrument to play, physically, than the guitar -- mostly due to the heavier strings and the difference in scale length. And I need to work on not using my thumb.

Also (not that I'm complaining, necessarily), it feels like the RS note detection is more … forgiving when playing bass.

• Options
    And having now had a chance to plug it in and run through a couple of songs: The bass is actually a very different instrument to play, physically, than the guitar -- mostly due to the heavier strings and the difference in scale length. And I need to work on not using my thumb.

Also (not that I'm complaining, necessarily), it feels like the RS note detection is more … forgiving when playing bass.

Oh, it's definitely more forgiving on bass. It's not even close.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Ah, I didn't realize that was your first bass. Yeah, it is a whole different beast. I think most people think it's just an easier guitar, and in some ways it is, but those strings take some getting used to and if you're going to be actually good at the instrument, it's a whole different skill set than playing guitar. I've been playing bass almost as long as I've been playing guitar, and pretty much every band I've been in has been as the bassist (I learned long ago that guitarists are a dime a dozen but good bassists are pretty rare). If you're the type of person that enjoys rhythm and groove, the bass can be a lot of fun.

• Options
    Ah, I didn't realize that was your first bass. Yeah, it is a whole different beast. I think most people think it's just an easier guitar, and in some ways it is, but those strings take some getting used to and if you're going to be actually good at the instrument, it's a whole different skill set than playing guitar. I've been playing bass almost as long as I've been playing guitar, and pretty much every band I've been in has been as the bassist (I learned long ago that guitarists are a dime a dozen but good bassists are pretty rare). If you're the type of person that enjoys rhythm and groove, the bass can be a lot of fun.

Yep -- my brother plays bass, so I've picked up his a couple of times, but this is the first time I've ever sat down with one and tried to play it as an actual instrument and it's going to take some adjustment (which I'm looking forward to).

(Actually, my other brother played drums back in high school, but unfortunately while there were lots of songs that any two of us knew how to play, I don't think there was a single song that all three of us agreed on, so we never really played all three together.)

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    To be fair, I have no interest in Stone Sour.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The DLC for September 25th, 2018 is 2010s Mix Song Pack V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXFartFFq48

“Paradise” by Coldplay – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Red Eyes” by The War On Drugs – E Standard – Bass; Capo Required – Lead/Rhythm
    “Ex’s & Oh’s” by Elle King – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

This has to be the lowest total number of notes released in a pack for a long time. Even on the easier packs, there tends to be at least one song that has very narrow bars on the riff repeater.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Looks like Rocksmith and a lot of it's DLC (everything before July 2017, it looks like) is on sale for the next week.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    And it sounds like the next pack is going to be 3 Joy Division songs:

The only Joy Division songs I can think of off the top of my head are Love Will Tear Us Apart and Dead Souls.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    I have a weird relationship with Joy Division. On the one hand, I'm a big New Order fan and I really like the music on the Joy Division stuff. On the other hand, Ian Curtis' vocals were terrible and I just can't get past them.

• Options
    Submitted for your approval:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHqeX5VFs3Y

• Options
    Also, now that I've spent a couple of weeks messing around on the bass, I'm finding that I'm paying a lot more attention to bass lines when I'm listening to music.

And some groups have surprisingly good bass -- Duran Duran, for example: I played Hungry Like the Wolf today and there's a LOT going on in that bass part.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Ah, yeah, love me some Duran Duran bass and drum parts.

Nothing like merging the energy and dynamism of punk with prog level musicianship (lets layer a 7/8 groove under 4/4 guitars and a disco vocal melody) and (for the most part) tight, clean structure and orchestration.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Also, now that I've spent a couple of weeks messing around on the bass, I'm finding that I'm paying a lot more attention to bass lines when I'm listening to music.

And some groups have surprisingly good bass -- Duran Duran, for example: I played Hungry Like the Wolf today and there's a LOT going on in that bass part.

I remember someone/somewhere/something talking about Andy? no, Bass Taylor! Anywho he's a really good bassist and hated the New Wave boring bass lines and instead made them funkaliciously awesome!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

Nothing like merging the energy and dynamism of punk with prog level musicianship (lets layer a 7/8 groove under 4/4 guitars and a disco vocal melody) and (for the most part) tight, clean structure and orchestration.

One reason I like this game (aside from the obvious stuff where it gives me a reason to play my guitar, and now my bass) is that playing the different parts really lets you see how the song was actually put together.

• Options

One reason I like this game (aside from the obvious stuff where it gives me a reason to play my guitar, and now my bass) is that playing the different parts really lets you see how the song was actually put together.

I've been playing guitar for damn near 30 years, so I'm usually pretty good at picking out guitar parts when listening to songs (I'm decent at playing by ear), but there have been a number of songs I've gotten on Rocksmith that were either a lot harder than I realized, or that had much more interesting guitar parts than I realized and I'm therefore glad I picked it up because it's much more fun to play than I would have thought. I don't need Rocksmith as I was learning songs by tab or watching videos long before it was a thing, but aside from the other good stuff it brings like tones, session mode, and riff repeater, I'm glad I got it because it's shown me songs that I would have otherwise probably avoided, which had ultimately improved my skills.

Though I kinda wish they had a Rocksmith subscription service where you could just pay $10 a month and get access to all of the DLC.

• Options
    The DLC for October 2nd, 2018 is Joy Division.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG-ZtLvLaBA

“Love Will Tear Us Apart” – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Transmission” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Disorder” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    Joy Division's style quickly evolved from their punk roots. Their sound during their early inception as Warsaw was described as generic and "undistinguished punk-inflected hard-rock". Critic Simon Reynolds observed how the band's originality only "really became apparent as the songs got slower", and their music took on a "sparse" quality. According to Reynolds, "Hook's bass carried the melody, Bernard Sumner's guitar left gaps rather than filling up the group's sound with dense riffage and Steve Morris' drums seemed to circle the rim of a crater."According to music critic Jon Savage, "Joy Division were not punk but they were directly inspired by its energy.

I would have preferred a twelve pack, but this is a day one purchase for me. Love Will Tear Us Apart and Transmission would probably be their two most played songs and it's no surprise to find them in the DLC. Maybe I can hold out hope for a Bauhaus pack one of these years...

Tried to get my Rocksmith cable working again last night without success. Hopefully I'll find a post that tells me of the one obscure check box that will allow the game to see it again.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    What's happening with your cable?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Looking back to August:
    The weird thing I had with output is that it didn't seem to change anything when setting the output from the start bar. Had to go through the settings menu to make it stick. Still sorting out the input, which Windows claims to know that it's a Rocksmith cable.

So, is it not registering the cable as a Rocksmith cable? I actually struggled with this for a long time, so working off the assumption you have the same problem, hopefully I can help.

For me, it used to occasionally not register the cable correctly when I connected it and I could never figure out why. I eventually upgraded my computer to a Windows 10 machine with usb 3.0 ports, and it got way worse! I looked in to it, and all of the official support on it suggested they believe it to be caused by insufficient power to the usb port. They recommended an external port with a power adapter (or trying other ports on the computer).

That ended up working for me, but only for indirect reasons. At least 75% of the time it still doesn't register the cable correctly when I plug it in. The trick I found, is it seems to retry every time I unplug and replug it. This is obviously a lot easier (and safer on your ports) to do with an external usb port adapter that has mechanical switches to turn the usb port off and on. So what I do is open the sound options, go to the recording devices tab, and plug in the cable. If it shows up as "Rocksmith cable", then I'm set, but most times I have to re-roll. So I flick the switch on that port off and on till it works. Sometimes it registers as a microphone, or a generic recording device, but the game won't recognize the cable with either of those.

It's weird, but it works for me. If you have the same problem, I hope this helps.

• Options
    The cable shows up in Windows as a mic (Rocksmith...) and I can test it from the Windows audio setting screen and hear it through the speakers. In Rocksmith it shows up as having no cable connected.

Google tells me that it might be a privacy setting in not allowing applications access to the mic. I didn't think to look at the privacy settings and it would explain my issues, so hopefully it will do the trick when I get home.

Wow, I didn't realize that I hadn't played RS in that long.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I have a weird relationship with Joy Division. On the one hand, I'm a big New Order fan and I really like the music on the Joy Division stuff. On the other hand, Ian Curtis' vocals were terrible and I just can't get past them.

Yeah the vocals are just...

like they're bad to the point where I'm hesitant to even refer to them as vocals

• Options
    an_alt wrote: »
    Maybe I can hold out hope for a Bauhaus pack one of these years...

I'd also be very happy with Love & Rockets and/or The Church.

• Options
    I wrote a lengthy post on steam forums for how to dial everything in. Check it out as a reference. I’m at the park with my daughter and have limited google or I’d link it.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Also, while I do genuinely like the Tuvan rock version I linked above, this is probably my favorite version of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VCpmYvroxo

• Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I wrote a lengthy post on steam forums for how to dial everything in. Check it out as a reference. I’m at the park with my daughter and have limited google or I’d link it.

Thanks for the tip. If the privacy checkbox doesn't work, I'll check it out.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular

like they're bad to the point where I'm hesitant to even refer to them as vocals

I keep typing up responses and they all come across meaner than I intend so I'll just go with "I disagree". I've always enjoyed Ian's vocals personally.

• Options
    It was the stupid privacy checkbox. Played some Joy Division last night. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    I keep typing up responses and they all come across meaner than I intend so I'll just go with "I disagree". I've always enjoyed Ian's vocals personally.

I've always thought his vocals suited the music very well.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »

That's honestly probably for the best. This strikes me as one of those polarizing things things where people either like it or loathe it.

• Options
    The DLC for October 9th, 2018 is Variety Pack XVIII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-N6SgxkO3c

“Surfin’ Safari” by The Beach Boys – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Stay Together For The Kids” by blink-182 – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Green Grass & High Tides” by The Outlaws – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Gratitude” by Beastie Boys – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass

An interesting mix. Surfin' Safari looked a bit more interesting than I would have guessed. Green Grass & High Tides looks like it would hurt to play. The others looked a bit dull

Pony wrote: