As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The DLC for December 18th, 2018 is Rolling Stones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TACqpfGtYw

“Sympathy For The Devil” – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Brown Sugar” – Open G – Lead/Rhythm; Open D - Alt Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass; Open E – Alt Lead
    “Gimme Shelter” – E Standard – Lead/Bass; Open E - Rhythm
    The Rolling Stones are an English rock band formed in London in 1962. The Rolling Stones were at the forefront of the British Invasion of bands that became popular in the United States in 1964 and were identified with the youthful and rebellious counterculture of the 1960s. Rooted in blues and early rock and roll, the band started out playing covers but found more success with their own material; songs such as "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Paint It Black" became international hits. After a short period of experimentation with psychedelic rock in the mid-1960s, the group returned to its "bluesy" roots with Beggars Banquet (1968), which along with its follow-ups Let It Bleed (1969), Sticky Fingers (1971) and Exile on Main St. (1972), is generally considered to be the band's best work and is seen as their "Golden Age". It was during this period they were first introduced on stage as "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World."

Those are some odd mixes of tunings, but they are pretty good songs. I'll definitely be picking this up at some point.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm not really a Stones fan, but those are some marquee songs, so I'll check out how fun they look before deciding.

• Options
    The DLC for January 8th, 2019 is Chuck Berry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFWel_XMm-s

“Johnny B. Goode” – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “School Day (Ring Ring Goes The Bell)” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “You Never Can Tell” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

While I do like listening to Chuck Berry, those 5 and 6 fret stretches look a little tough. I hope the pack sells well though.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Endaro wrote: »
    RickRude wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just old and in the get off my lawn phase. I think it all sounds like mud and find the trend moronic.

It's a trend that's been going on since at least the mid-80s. :P

Tony Iommi was using C# Standard (C♯-F♯-B-E-G♯-C♯) going back to the early 70's. If you're too old for Black Sabbath you're pretty old indeed!

But that was due to having an injury. Yes it gave them the sound but there was a reason. I dunno, I just puke at these tunings . Seems like people should just pick up a bass

old.jpg

You rang?

Oh, and as someone who plays bass in Rocksmith most of the time, it doesn't confer immunity to wonky-ass tunings.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'll probably get Johnny Be Goode, just because it's Johnny Be Goode. I'll probably pass on the other 2, but I really want to watch Pulp Fiction now for some reason.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    The DLC for January 8th, 2019 is Chuck Berry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFWel_XMm-s

“Johnny B. Goode” – E Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “School Day (Ring Ring Goes The Bell)” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “You Never Can Tell” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

While I do like listening to Chuck Berry, those 5 and 6 fret stretches look a little tough. I hope the pack sells well though.

Yeah, especially at the bottom of the neck -- trying to play 3rd fret E/8th fret A is possibly more than my fingers are willing to give me.

And the lead stuff is surprisingly tricky -- relatively simple, but very fast & very clean.

Great songs, though, and fun to play.

• Options
    Yeah, the rhythm section in School Day (in G down on the 3rd fret) is murder on my fingers; especially trying to play that 3/8 stretch cleanly.

I tried backwards duck-walking to see if that would help, but I almost fell and fractured my skull, so ...

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Yeah, the rhythm section in School Day (in G down on the 3rd fret) is murder on my fingers; especially trying to play that 3/8 stretch cleanly.

I tried backwards duck-walking to see if that would help, but I almost fell and fractured my skull, so ...

You need to train before you can embody Chuck Berry.

Start with something more achievable. Pick up a 14 year old girl in St. Louis and drive to Kentucky and get picked up on Mann Act charges.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The DLC for January 15th, 2018 is Paramore II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWuh2gm2ojs

“Misery Business” – Eb Drop Db - Lead/Rhythm; C# Standard - Bass
    “Rose-Colored Boy” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Ignorance” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm; D Standard - Bass

Seems a bit dull to play, but I hope some of you enjoy it.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Just because they don't want to play that song anymore doesn't mean we can't, I guess.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Just because they don't want to play that song anymore doesn't mean we can't, I guess.

Which song?

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Misery Business.

They retired it from all live performances last year.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Misery Business.

They retired it from all live performances last year.

Ah, dumb.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Hayley Williams announced during a concert that the band will play the song "for the last time for a really long time", mainly due to a line from the second verse that was deemed sexist and anti-feminist

• Options
    Endaro wrote: »
    Hayley Williams announced during a concert that the band will play the song "for the last time for a really long time", mainly due to a line from the second verse that was deemed sexist and anti-feminist

Ah, that's not dumb.

I feel like that's pretty much the exact opposite of what I thought the verse was trying to say but I can see how it could be interpreted that way. And, I mean, I'm definitely not gonna argue with Williams :P

• Options
    edited January 2019
    The DLC for January 22nd, 2019 is Variety Pack XX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJeWNIUUd0U

“Breakfast At Tiffany’s” by Deep Blue Something – E Standard - Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Whiskey In The Jar” by Thin Lizzy – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “On The Sunny Side Of The Street” by Les Paul & Mary Ford – E Standard – Rhythm/Bass; Capo Required - Lead
    “Teenage Dirtbag” by Wheatus – E Standard – Lead/Bass

Not really feeling this one. Hope some of you enjoy.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
  • Options
    The DLC for January 22nd, 2019 is Variety Pack XX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJeWNIUUd0U

“Breakfast At Tiffany’s” by Deep Blue Something – E Standard - Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Whiskey In The Jar” by Thin Lizzy – E Standard – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “On The Sunny Side Of The Street” by Les Paul & Mary Ford – E Standard – Rhythm/Bass; Capo Required - Lead
    “Teenage Dirtbag” by Wheatus – E Standard – Lead/Bass

Not really feeling this one. Hope some of you enjoy.

Another one that I bought entirely on the strength of one song (Whiskey in the Jar), but I hope the other songs are fun, at least.

• Options
    I'll definitely get Whiskey in the Jar-o, but I'll think about the rest.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Going back to the Chuck Berry pack, I decided to give the rhythm section on School Day another stab and I was terrible. Like 34% accuracy. I forget the exact response from RS, but it was something to the effect of "Pretty bad."

Then I discovered that at some point I'd bumped my volume knob and turned it down to about 3, which is why the game wasn't actually detecting any of my notes.

Also, I figured out that if I capo the rhythm section at the third fret (so that I don't have to try to do those mighty 3/8 stretches), I can actually get a pretty decent result.

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Whiskey in the jar's main riff is so much fun to play. I may have to buy this one. If I can find my cord. Moved recently. It might be in storage.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Ok. I wanna try out a bass but really don’t want to spend much. Any suggestions?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    The Squier VM Jaguar is $200 on Amazon. I checked around with reviews and my friends who really know about such things and it's apparently a really good deal. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it feels nice and all the mechanical bits are solid. Apparently the electronics aren't top notch, but a decent step above the bottom of the barrel.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    Yeah I figured that’s what I might end up with. The problem I’m having is my guitar is a $200 used one and I’m having mental issues paying the same price for something I just wanna try out to see if I like it!

Hah!!!!!!!!!!!!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    In my opinion, the difference between cheap vs expensive basses is smaller than cheap vs expensive guitars. You can probably find a used one fairly cheap. As long as it works, it should be good enough to start with.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    In my opinion, the difference between cheap vs expensive basses is smaller than cheap vs expensive guitars. You can probably find a used one fairly cheap. As long as it works, it should be good enough to start with.

Yeah, only major problem IME with cheaper basses is the action can be godawful high off the shelf and will definitely be the first thing you should adjust.

While encouraging Banzai's experimentation, here's some motivation:

https://youtu.be/_yqOA0BMXS0

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

Yeah, only major problem IME with cheaper bases is the action can be godawful high off the shelf and will definitely be the first thing you should adjust.

That's part of why I think it's less of a big deal for basses. High action on a bass is easier to deal with that high action on a guitar. But yeah, definitely look for some tutorials on doing a setup yourself, as it's fairly easy to do.

• Options
    That ($200) is about what I paid for mine, also off of Amazon. But maybe also check local second-hand/antique stores to see if they have used instruments?

• Options
    Also:

Do it. Doooooo iiiiiiiiitttttt!

• Options
    The Rocksmith YouTube page hasn't updated yet.

It's Queen again. Details and video to come.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My bass was tossed into the crowd in a fit of frustration
    An Epiphone explorer bass it was dirty as hell and needed to be restrug badly

• Options
    The pack has "Hammer to Fall", “Somebody to Love”, and "I Want to Break Free" in it. Right now, at least, I don't see "Somebody to Love" listed as a separate purchase, but I picked up the pack and all three songs did show up in my list.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Oooh, Hammer to Fall is a fun song, will probably get it and I Want to Break Free. I've known Somebody to Love for years, and I much prefer singing it to playing guitar or bass to it.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    The DLC for yesterday, January 30th 2019 is Queen III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiAIKfYRE1g

“Somebody To Love” – E Standard - Lead/Alt Lead/Bass; Capo Required: Rhythm
    “Hammer To Fall” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “I Want To Break Free” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Glad my period isn't this late.

Odd bit of personal trivia, my SO and I went for Halloween as half of Queen from the I Want To Break Free video. Unfortunately, the big party was like a week and a half before Bohemian Rhapsody came out so nobody had any idea what we were doing. My impression is that this whole pack looks fun to play, but I wouldn't trust my opinion.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    The DLC for yesterday, January 30th 2019 is Queen III.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiAIKfYRE1g

“Somebody To Love” – E Standard - Lead/Alt Lead/Bass; Capo Required: Rhythm
    “Hammer To Fall” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “I Want To Break Free” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Glad my period isn't this late.

Odd bit of personal trivia, my SO and I went for Halloween as half of Queen from the I Want To Break Free video. Unfortunately, the big party was like a week and a half before Bohemian Rhapsody came out so nobody had any idea what we were doing. My impression is that this whole pack looks fun to play, but I wouldn't trust my opinion.

Yep, fun to play on all counts. And I'm looking forward to picking up the movie when it comes out on disc.

On an unrelated note, I got 100% when I did the bass track for Whiskey in the Jar. Which it's mostly just bouncing on the root notes of the chords, but still ...

• Options
    For some damn reason I never knew the song was called "Hammer to Fall"!!!!! I LOVE that song!!!!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    The DLC for February 5th, 2019 is 90s Mix IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67FNoIoc2CM

“When I Come Around” Green Day – Eb Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “One Of Us” by Joan Osborne – Capo Required – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “Trippin’ On A Hole In A Paper Heart” by Stone Temple Pilots – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Apparently Green Day songs do have a lead guitar part. Learn something new every day...

Definitely a more beginner friendly pack with some decent enough songs. Probably not going to pick this one up myself though.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    The DLC for February 5th, 2019 is 90s Mix IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67FNoIoc2CM

“When I Come Around” Green Day – Eb Standard - Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “One Of Us” by Joan Osborne – Capo Required – Lead/Alt Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “Trippin’ On A Hole In A Paper Heart” by Stone Temple Pilots – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Apparently Green Day songs do have a lead guitar part. Learn something new every day...

Definitely a more beginner friendly pack with some decent enough songs. Probably not going to pick this one up myself though.

Yeah, I might give this one a pass as well. The Green Day would probably be fun to bang out, but not fun enough to justify Eb tuning; and the Joan Osborne is the kind of fingerstyle/picked arpeggio stuff that I never have much luck with in Rocksmith. Ah, well.

• Options
    And now I'm really glad I didn't buy the pack, in light of the apparent "Let's just delete the .exe file" bug on the PC version at the moment.

• Options
    And now I'm really glad I didn't buy the pack, in light of the apparent "Let's just delete the .exe file" bug on the PC version at the moment.

I wondered what that patch was.

I'll also point out that there's currently a sale on Rocksmith and DLC.

• Options

I wondered what that patch was.

I'll also point out that there's currently a sale on Rocksmith and DLC.

OK, it appears to be redownloading the main file, happily.