As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: Ode to Joycon

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Huh, weird. I actually saw a copy of Street Fighter out in the wild today. Didn't think it came out until later in the week.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So tempted to pick up Street Fighter but the $40 price tag is making me wary...

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Huh, weird. I actually saw a copy of Street Fighter out in the wild today. Didn't think it came out until later in the week.

For some reason I assumed Street Fighter 2 Ultra was going to be download only. Probably because it's been so long since there was a physical copy of Street Fighter 2 for sale for anything.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    If I feel the need to play a 2D fighter it's gonna be either Samurai Showdown IV or Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

There's no way I'm rewarding Capcom while USFII is at that price point.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    This SF2 is a 14.99$ game at best. Forty dollars is absurd.

• Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Wait, is samurai showdown available for switch?

I've only ever played the SNES one and have always been interested in picking it up again.
    I think I glanced at the wiki for VI once and it was basically like walking into a bar intending to order a gin & tonic and discovering that it was now the set of WORLD'S MOST EXTREME BARTENDING ON TRAVEL CHANNEL with flaming fruit spears and glassware full of glowing neon ooze flying everywhere

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Man if they brought back the Last Blade series on Switch, that'd be awfully tempting. I had a lot of fun with Last Blade 2 years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    Wait, is samurai showdown available for switch?

I've only ever played the SNES one and have always been interested in picking it up again.
    I think I glanced at the wiki for VI once and it was basically like walking into a bar intending to order a gin & tonic and discovering that it was now the set of WORLD'S MOST EXTREME BARTENDING ON TRAVEL CHANNEL with flaming fruit spears and glassware full of glowing neon ooze flying everywhere

Yes, a few Neo Geo games are available on Switch.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I'd recommend a glass screen protector too.

I'll second it each time. So good!

I wish I wasn't so burned out on Screen Protector applications. Bah.

Hey, I'm still playing naked. I mean, the Switch is naked. No screen protector. Same for my phone and Vita, though for my N3DSXL I keep a microfiber cloth between the screens when closed. Nekkid is best!

That reminds me, I need to hunt down a travel case for my Switch, basically something I can put it in when I throw it in my backpack and not have to worry about it being pulled out of sleep or having the sticks ripped off or whatever.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh and if you can, buy the RDS Game Travelers backpack. It's damn perfect. It carries everything in pouches that are all side by side along your back so they don't bump into each other. It has room for everything that comes with the Switch + the pro controller + 2 sets of joycons + headset and phone pouches in the outer flaps. It also has a zipper at the top with a pocket made out of soft material that's perfect for putting your 3DS in. Oh and the Switch screen's pouch will fit the screen with a hybrid cover on it.. which is very important to me. The other game traveler cases are cool but the backpack is the creme de la creme.

Edit: I carry all that plus the mario kart wheels and the dog controller shell and never does it feel too cramped or full.. it still has room for things like books etc.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Mario Kart and Zelda finally arrived, so I can actually play games on my Switch now!
    First thoughts: Wow I'm glad I already ordered a pro controller, because those buttons were going to kill my thumb with Mario Kart. I've still got a week or so before it arrives, so I guess I'll have to live with it for now.
    And I can see myself going for digital versions in the future, as those game cartridges are pretty fiddly, with the cover and all.

My wifi reception's being a bit iffy, though. I had to power it off (is there any way to do that in TV mode? I couldn't find one) and turn it on again before it would see the signal. Maybe something to do with sleep mode? Is that a known thing?
    And what's this ARMS testpunch thing? A time-limited demo? And are there any other demos people can recommend?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    In spite of its price and content and all, SF2 seems poised to do really good numbers. It sold out on Amazon.

After I saw a review I admit I was more tempted. Control over character palettes seems fun, and the massive digital artbook included basically makes this a big celebration of SF2.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Since we don't have a separate ARMS thread yet, I'm gonna go ahead and make one today.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Oh and if you can, buy the RDS Game Travelers backpack. It's damn perfect. It carries everything in pouches that are all side by side along your back so they don't bump into each other. It has room for everything that comes with the Switch + the pro controller + 2 sets of joycons + headset and phone pouches in the outer flaps. It also has a zipper at the top with a pocket made out of soft material that's perfect for putting your 3DS in. Oh and the Switch screen's pouch will fit the screen with a hybrid cover on it.. which is very important to me. The other game traveler cases are cool but the backpack is the creme de la creme.

Edit: I carry all that plus the mario kart wheels and the dog controller shell and never does it feel too cramped or full.. it still has room for things like books etc.

Are you referring to the PDP backpack? Because Amazon doesn't return an RDS one for me

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

It's only a quarter to play at the local arcade

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
      Maz- wrote: »
      Since we don't have a separate ARMS thread yet, I'm gonna go ahead and make one today.

See you in there! I keep waffling on the purchase but as it approaches I'm edging closer and closer to a "buy". Hoping the Testpunch isn't a disappointment!

• Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      Maz- wrote: »

See you in there! I keep waffling on the purchase but as it approaches I'm edging closer and closer to a "buy". Hoping the Testpunch isn't a disappointment!

I definitely preordered after the Amazon price drop and I'll decide to keep or cancel after trying it but I'm optimistic

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
        klemming wrote: »
        Mario Kart and Zelda finally arrived, so I can actually play games on my Switch now!
        First thoughts: Wow I'm glad I already ordered a pro controller, because those buttons were going to kill my thumb with Mario Kart. I've still got a week or so before it arrives, so I guess I'll have to live with it for now.
        And I can see myself going for digital versions in the future, as those game cartridges are pretty fiddly, with the cover and all.

My wifi reception's being a bit iffy, though. I had to power it off (is there any way to do that in TV mode? I couldn't find one) and turn it on again before it would see the signal. Maybe something to do with sleep mode? Is that a known thing?
        And what's this ARMS testpunch thing? A time-limited demo? And are there any other demos people can recommend?

Pro controller or no, your thumb will probably thank you if you turn on the auto-accelerate option in mario kart. What it does is make your Kart behave as if you were holding down the accelerator button all race long. Which, let's face it, you were already gonna do. You still need to hit the button yourself to get a start-of-race speed boost, but after that you can let go.

The ARMS global testpunch is a limited demo of the online battle mode, yeah. Similar to Splatoon's global testfire. The first window is this weekend, starting Friday.

• Options
        NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
        I think I actually prefer D5 in handheld mode. The art is so vibrant and crisp. Just got into the second area and I'm happy that I'm no longer one-shotting stuff so that I can actually use my support characters.

• Options
        UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
        ForceVoid wrote: »
        I think I actually prefer D5 in handheld mode. The art is so vibrant and crisp. Just got into the second area and I'm happy that I'm no longer one-shotting stuff so that I can actually use my support characters.

Yeah I was playing portable for the Laharl DLC and that food table at the end was just gorgeous.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
      • Options
        urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
        ForceVoid wrote: »

If you cast the spell you get the EXP even if it doesn't heal/cure them, just FYI.

• Options
        Enlong wrote: »

Pro controller or no, your thumb will probably thank you if you turn on the auto-accelerate option in mario kart. What it does is make your Kart behave as if you were holding down the accelerator button all race long. Which, let's face it, you were already gonna do. You still need to hit the button yourself to get a start-of-race speed boost, but after that you can let go.

The ARMS global testpunch is a limited demo of the online battle mode, yeah. Similar to Splatoon's global testfire. The first window is this weekend, starting Friday.

Someone recently said there's indication that the testpunch will also allow local battles. That's a great idea for a test window, even if you need to authenticate online first. I can see if my kid and I have fun playing it together.

• Options
      • Options
        skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
        In spite of its price and content and all, SF2 seems poised to do really good numbers. It sold out on Amazon.

After I saw a review I admit I was more tempted. Control over character palettes seems fun, and the massive digital artbook included basically makes this a big celebration of SF2.

We should hope it sells well since it looks like Capcom may be basing support on it.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/25/capcom-says-switch-support-could-be-determined-by-sales-of-ultra-street-fighter-2/
        In regards to Switch, Capcom will think of how to support the Switch while looking at how Street Fighter 2 does on the system in May.

Nintendo Console Codes
        Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
      • Options
        KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
        Basing your support on an overpriced updated version of a 25+ year old game, huh?

Bold move, Capcom.

• Options
        cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
        Not to mention a game that's in direct competition with another high-profile fighting game.

Ah well, hopefully the Amazon figures hint at good sales.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
      • Options
        GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
        They didn't mean that that way.

For me, it's more like "shall we sell them boring and sucky fighting games that everyone hates with a premium price or shall we try to make something neat and what people would actually buy". You know, gauge the interest and look what people are buying and tailoring their selection for that audience.

Of course certain part of the Internet is already sharpening their garden shears and looking at Capcoms manparts...

I'd honestly wait and see. Capcom seems to be pretty impressed overall with the Switch and will bring games they feel suitable for it.

And the folk wondering about pirates, Sail ships. Swords and cannons. Beautiful vistas and shady characters. World politics that gave people a change to rob other people legally (well, the whole business culture in the US is base on this, but anyway... :wink: )...

Pirates are neat, I've loved them over 20 years and will love in the future. Pirates are one of the most underused settings in gaming. SM's Pirates is the best pirate game I've played, Monkey Islands being the close second. I really would love to have a proper pirate game for Switch. AC IV was great if you erased all the gringy assassin stuff and less that stellar controls (the whole series is bad in this regard).

I'd buy WWII CoD if it came to Switch even tho I generally hate CoD gameplay. It is so console-y. Maybe it could suit for a ultra casual pew pew...

My country suffered heavy losses in the 39-45 but we prevailed, thanks to partnering with the Germans. I will never attest to notion that every German soldier was evil during WWII. They pretty much saved us from the Soviets, who were absolutely horrifying in every regard. I know it might sound strange to someone from the US, and I am in no way a nazi or even far right. Germans were pretty much our only friends when everyone else abandoned us to survive the Soviet attack. Deals with the devil etc...

But when I play games, I don't think about these things. Why would I, I play games to have fun and great experiences. One can respect the sacrifices of the veterans and still enjoy games fully. Of course every one of us is different. I have some ethical reservations about modern war games though (or the culture surrounding them), so I can understand the feelings of those who don't like to play WWII games because "they think too much"...

• Options
        SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
        edited May 2017
        I'd be willing to bet that Capcom's first real support of the Switch is a Monster Hunter game.

I base this on no personal stake in it at all.

Seidkona on
        Mostly just huntin' monsters.
        XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
      • Options
        NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

RE: wifi - yes, initial wonkiness is a known thing and, yes, turning it off and on again fixes it. I don't think it has anything to do with sleep mode. I use my Switch primarily as a home console and it's in sleep mode whenever I'm not playing. Since I turned mine off and on, it's been fine.

• Options
        cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
        Entaru wrote: »
        I'd be willing to bet that Capcom's first real support of the Switch is a Monster Hunter game.

At this point there's really nowhere else for Monster Hunter to go if they want it to still be portable.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
      • Options
        MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
        TimFiji wrote: »
        Viskod wrote: »

It's only a quarter to play at the local arcade

I've played SF since it first released in arcades back in 89' (man I'm old) and I never payed less than $.50 a game.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
        Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
        Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
        Steam ID
        Twitch Page
      • Options
        cloudeagle wrote: »

At this point there's really nowhere else for Monster Hunter to go if they want it to still be portable.

*whisper from a dark future*
        "Monster Hunter Triple Cross; New Nintendo 2DS exclusive"

• Options
        cloudeagle wrote: »

And they will not make a non-portable Monster Hunter. Sales numbers drop into the toilet whenever it's on anything that is not a portable.

• Options
        TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
        *whisper from a dark future*
        "Monster Hunter Triple Cross Unite; iOS exclusive"

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
      • Options
        Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
        That MH Switch is in development is as safe a bet as a these things get. It's a no brainer.

The interesting money is on how ridiculously long they'll take to localise it the west.

MhCw7nZ.gif
      • Options
        edited May 2017
        That MH Switch is in development is as safe a bet as a these things get. It's a no brainer.

The interesting money is on how ridiculously long they'll take to localise it the west.

Good thing is it doesn't matter as much as I can now just import the Japanese release until it is released here.

Seidkona on
      • Options
        But the localization, tho.

Where else am I gonna get yugioh abridged jokes in an official script?

• Options
        I really hope 8-4 gets the localization again. MH3U was incredibly well done (and I love those folks).

• Options
        But the localization, tho.

Where else am I gonna get yugioh abridged jokes in an official script?

Is a character in that game from AMERICA? Or does his hair give him super strength?

• Options
        DrezDrez Registered User regular
        Enc wrote: »
        Loving minecraft on the switch. Only downside ive run into is that there is a limit on things like cows (probably to prevent system slowdowns). Kinda makes leather farming slow.

If you want to maximize that, know that the only "active" areas are immediately surrounding you, and also the area considered world spawn. So if you are far from spawn raising cows and it doesn't let you breed anymore, check spawn to see if it's full of NPC animals. You could thin the herd there, or change modes and move spawn to your farm so that only one area is considered active by the game, easier to control what animals are there.

Personally I have a nice little farm going with sheep and cows and have never gotten the max animals message, I guess I just thin the herd often enough that it's not a problem. It's also right next to spawn though.

Forgive the nature of the question, but is there any real point to Minecraft aside from self-made objectives/milestones?

I mean, there are no actual objectives in the game (like what Terraria has with bosses, a lot of unique loot collection/creation, etc.) right?

I did buy it for the Switch and was getting deep into it. But, as with the last 4 times I bought it (PC, PS3, PS Vita, iPhone), I forget that while you can build like crazy there's no real objective to strive for. Right?

I swear I'm not trashing the game, just want to know if I'm missing something.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
      This discussion has been closed.