As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: Ode to Joycon

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I could really go for Spelunky on this thing.

Honestly, they could just make this thing an indie game machine and never make a AAA title and I'd be happy.

The Nintendo Vita?

Yes, a Nintendo Switch PSP/Vita emulator would be my fantasy app. If I ever get to rub a genie, that's what I would wish for.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I'd recommend a glass screen protector too.

I'll second it each time. So good!

I wish I wasn't so burned out on Screen Protector applications. Bah.

I haven't used screen protectors for over a decade probably.

I've been relatively uncareful with my Switch and it's perfectly fine so fuck it.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Basing your support on an overpriced updated version of a 25+ year old game, huh?

Bold move, Capcom.

Kinda like basing your support of a console by releasing only the third part of a trilogy on a new platform.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Loving minecraft on the switch. Only downside ive run into is that there is a limit on things like cows (probably to prevent system slowdowns). Kinda makes leather farming slow.

If you want to maximize that, know that the only "active" areas are immediately surrounding you, and also the area considered world spawn. So if you are far from spawn raising cows and it doesn't let you breed anymore, check spawn to see if it's full of NPC animals. You could thin the herd there, or change modes and move spawn to your farm so that only one area is considered active by the game, easier to control what animals are there.

Personally I have a nice little farm going with sheep and cows and have never gotten the max animals message, I guess I just thin the herd often enough that it's not a problem. It's also right next to spawn though.

Forgive the nature of the question, but is there any real point to Minecraft aside from self-made objectives/milestones?

I mean, there are no actual objectives in the game (like what Terraria has with bosses, a lot of unique loot collection/creation, etc.) right?

I did buy it for the Switch and was getting deep into it. But, as with the last 4 times I bought it (PC, PS3, PS Vita, iPhone), I forget that while you can build like crazy there's no real objective to strive for. Right?

I swear I'm not trashing the game, just want to know if I'm missing something.

Terraria is certainly more objective/quest/goal oriented than Minecraft is (and my favourite of the two) but Minecraft does have a lot of the milestones and goals. There are alternate nether realms to travel to and explore, materials and gear to obtain from them, secret underground dungeons, and eventually another different realm with bosses and treasures.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Loving minecraft on the switch. Only downside ive run into is that there is a limit on things like cows (probably to prevent system slowdowns). Kinda makes leather farming slow.

If you want to maximize that, know that the only "active" areas are immediately surrounding you, and also the area considered world spawn. So if you are far from spawn raising cows and it doesn't let you breed anymore, check spawn to see if it's full of NPC animals. You could thin the herd there, or change modes and move spawn to your farm so that only one area is considered active by the game, easier to control what animals are there.

Personally I have a nice little farm going with sheep and cows and have never gotten the max animals message, I guess I just thin the herd often enough that it's not a problem. It's also right next to spawn though.

Forgive the nature of the question, but is there any real point to Minecraft aside from self-made objectives/milestones?

I mean, there are no actual objectives in the game (like what Terraria has with bosses, a lot of unique loot collection/creation, etc.) right?

I did buy it for the Switch and was getting deep into it. But, as with the last 4 times I bought it (PC, PS3, PS Vita, iPhone), I forget that while you can build like crazy there's no real objective to strive for. Right?

No, no 'real' point. I think the closest path to traditional gameplay would be working your way through survival mode til you beat the Ender Dragon, but you're not ever directed to do so.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    But the localization, tho.

Where else am I gonna get yugioh abridged jokes in an official script?

Is a character in that game from AMERICA? Or does his hair give him super strength?

The line "Screw the rules, I have more money than the guild!" is uttered.

• Options
    edited May 2017

Terraria is certainly more objective/quest/goal oriented than Minecraft is (and my favourite of the two) but Minecraft does have a lot of the milestones and goals. There are alternate nether realms to travel to and explore, materials and gear to obtain from them, secret underground dungeons, and eventually another different realm with bosses and treasures.

Hmm! I didn't realize there were ANY bosses.

Okay I'll keep screwing around with it. Thanks!

edit: Is any logic to what I should do? Is a hellavator the best way to descend and get the mats or whatever I need to get into my nether regions?

Drez on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

edit: Is any logic to what I should do? Is a hellavator the best way to descend and get the mats or whatever I need to get into my nether regions?

Yeah I've played Minecraft for years and actually never fought either of the big bosses, never been to The End. I always get wrapped up in just building cool stuff.

I just made this post at another forum for someone else who was having trouble finding rare materials.

The best thing to do is go to a Y depth of 11 or 12 (look on your map) and dig in straight lines of 3 or 4 height. Move 2 spaces over, dig another line, in order to maximize the number of blocks exposed and minimize digging. I think diamond only spawns from 7-16 but you want to be above 11 or 12 because that's a common depth of lava pools at your feet, you don't want to break into it spewing out at you. In addition to diamonds you will also find redstone, lapis lazuli, gold, coal, and iron, but iron is rarer that deep.

OH YEAH remember you need an iron pickaxe to mine anything other than coal or iron. You do not want to accidentally destroy diamonds!

Diagram:
    W9BDNXG.png

Even digging at the right level, you will run into lava at that depth. Dig carefully and be prepared to back up fast. Make an iron bucket or two, fill it with water, and pour it on the lava. If you can get it to touch source blocks it will turn to obsidian. Otherwise it will just turn to cobblestone and the lava will still be flowing behind that. You'll figure it out after some experimentation.

Before you try to do anything in the Nether or with bosses you will want to learn how to get set up for enchanting and experiment with that, get some good enchants on your gear. The enchanting table takes a diamond and 6 obsidian, which you can only mine with a diamond pickaxe, which takes 3 diamonds. ASAP you will want to enchant your pickaxe with some level of Fortune, which causes more of resources to drop from blocks you mine, you can get 4 diamonds from 1 block, and tons of lapis lazuli for more enchanting. The enchanting table gets buffed by bookshelves near it, so for that you'll need sugarcane for paper and a breeding pen for cows for their leather to make books. Also, anvils are able to combine enchantments onto a single piece of gear so you'll want one of those too.

There are so many badass enchantments.

The portal to the Nether is made from a rectangle of obsidian, minimum 10 blocks (missing the corners), and then you light it with a flint & steel. It's a whole other hellscape dimension of terrors and fire. Don't attack the pigmen. They will never forgive you. In there you are looking for a specific kind of construction to fight in to get the materials to summon a boss, as well as other materials to make a thing that can lead you to the location of a portal to another different dimension with another boss, leading to unique rewards. The whole thing is pretty involved.

There are some solid hours of gameplay there to prep and explore.

Oh yeah there's also ocean monuments which you'll want to be able to breathe underwater for, with their own cthulean horrors to encounter.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    The order of operations is not my strong suit. I build up a sweet base, get distracted. Go exploring, get distracted. Start a farm, get distracted. Start enchanting, get distracted. My experience is just a series of half-assed and half-finished things. I think it's good to work on getting armor & weapons out of iron then diamond, do some enchanting... ?????.... ender portal?
    Oh yeah there's also ocean monuments which you'll want to be able to breathe underwater for, with their own cthulean horrors to encounter.

Holy shit, there is a lot I missed.

Wraithverge on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Holy shit, there is a lot I missed.

Yeah, keep an eye out while you're sailing...
    sIRaf3s.png

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Yeah I've played Minecraft for years and actually never fought either of the big bosses, never been to The End. I always get wrapped up in just building cool stuff.

I just made this post at another forum for someone else who was having trouble finding rare materials.

The best thing to do is go to a Y depth of 11 or 12 (look on your map) and dig in straight lines of 3 or 4 height. Move 2 spaces over, dig another line, in order to maximize the number of blocks exposed and minimize digging. I think diamond only spawns from 7-16 but you want to be above 11 or 12 because that's a common depth of lava pools at your feet, you don't want to break into it spewing out at you. In addition to diamonds you will also find redstone, lapis lazuli, gold, coal, and iron, but iron is rarer that deep.

OH YEAH remember you need an iron pickaxe to mine anything other than coal or iron. You do not want to accidentally destroy diamonds!

Diagram:
    W9BDNXG.png

Even digging at the right level, you will run into lava at that depth. Dig carefully and be prepared to back up fast. Make an iron bucket or two, fill it with water, and pour it on the lava. If you can get it to touch source blocks it will turn to obsidian. Otherwise it will just turn to cobblestone and the lava will still be flowing behind that. You'll figure it out after some experimentation.

Before you try to do anything in the Nether or with bosses you will want to learn how to get set up for enchanting and experiment with that, get some good enchants on your gear. The enchanting table takes a diamond and 6 obsidian, which you can only mine with a diamond pickaxe, which takes 3 diamonds. ASAP you will want to enchant your pickaxe with some level of Fortune, which causes more of resources to drop from blocks you mine, you can get 4 diamonds from 1 block, and tons of lapis lazuli for more enchanting. The enchanting table gets buffed by bookshelves near it, so for that you'll need sugarcane for paper and a breeding pen for cows for their leather to make books. Also, anvils are able to combine enchantments onto a single piece of gear so you'll want one of those too.

There are so many badass enchantments.

The portal to the Nether is made from a rectangle of obsidian, minimum 10 blocks (missing the corners), and then you light it with a flint & steel. It's a whole other hellscape dimension of terrors and fire. Don't attack the pigmen. They will never forgive you. In there you are looking for a specific kind of construction to fight in to get the materials to summon a boss, as well as other materials to make a thing that can lead you to the location of a portal to another different dimension with another boss, leading to unique rewards. The whole thing is pretty involved.

There are some solid hours of gameplay there to prep and explore.

Awesome! Thank you! You've just breathed new life into the game for me!

Thanks for spending the time and effort to write this up and post it!

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    b1rdman wrote: »
    Oh and if you can, buy the RDS Game Travelers backpack. It's damn perfect. It carries everything in pouches that are all side by side along your back so they don't bump into each other. It has room for everything that comes with the Switch + the pro controller + 2 sets of joycons + headset and phone pouches in the outer flaps. It also has a zipper at the top with a pocket made out of soft material that's perfect for putting your 3DS in. Oh and the Switch screen's pouch will fit the screen with a hybrid cover on it.. which is very important to me. The other game traveler cases are cool but the backpack is the creme de la creme.

Edit: I carry all that plus the mario kart wheels and the dog controller shell and never does it feel too cramped or full.. it still has room for things like books etc.

Are you referring to the PDP backpack? Because Amazon doesn't return an RDS one for me

Yeah PDP backpack. Got those two brands mixed up.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Welp. Man, this thing leaked like crazy.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/25/15690876/new-seaman-yoot-saito-teaser

Please come to Switch please come to Switch PLEASE COME TO SWITCH!

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/25/15690876/new-seaman-yoot-saito-teaser

Please come to Switch please come to Switch PLEASE COME TO SWITCH!

I hope it's with Gilbert Gottfried since Leonard Nimoy's not available

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    :eh: That game was weird.

I don't know if it would carry the same interest today. At the time it was like a first step into a wider world of more advanced AI, games we could talk to, tech that might fit into other genres etc. But the revolution didn't happen and now it's just a curiosity. A slightly more entertaining Siri.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    This SF2 is a 14.99$ game at best. Forty dollars is absurd.

It's only a quarter to play at the local arcade

I've played SF since it first released in arcades back in 89' (man I'm old) and I never payed less than $.50 a game.

I used to play it for 10 pence. **Sticks out tongue**

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I'm buying SF despite the pricetag just because i havent bought an SF game in a long time and I've been on a fighting game kick since Injustice 2 released.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    This is kinda nuts. The Switch is doing well enough to buoy the fortunes of retailers like Best Buy and Target.

Also on another subject
    skeldare wrote: »
    In spite of its price and content and all, SF2 seems poised to do really good numbers. It sold out on Amazon.

After I saw a review I admit I was more tempted. Control over character palettes seems fun, and the massive digital artbook included basically makes this a big celebration of SF2.

We should hope it sells well since it looks like Capcom may be basing support on it.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/05/25/capcom-says-switch-support-could-be-determined-by-sales-of-ultra-street-fighter-2/
    In regards to Switch, Capcom will think of how to support the Switch while looking at how Street Fighter 2 does on the system in May.

Apparently this was mistranslated.
    It's more like "we are investigating on how best to support the Switch. Also we wanted to remind you we have a game releasing soon."

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Who would have thought that a straightforward console with steady content releases would interest people!

Jokes aside, super stoked it's doing well.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm buying SF despite the pricetag just because i javent nought an af game in a long time and I've been on a fighting game kick since Injustice 2 released.

Oh no, Death came for @Handsome Costanza! Thankfully Death only got his typing skills. Close call!

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    This SF2 is a 14.99$ game at best. Forty dollars is absurd.

It's only a quarter to play at the local arcade

I've played SF since it first released in arcades back in 89' (man I'm old) and I never payed less than $.50 a game.

I used to play it for 10 pence. **Sticks out tongue**

It's a quarter at my arcade about 15 minutes away! Woo!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
      Cruor wrote: »
      I'm buying SF despite the pricetag just because i javent nought an af game in a long time and I've been on a fighting game kick since Injustice 2 released.

Oh no, Death came for @Handsome Costanza! Thankfully Death only got his typing skills. Close call!

Sounds like a stroke to me, actually...

camo_sig2.png
    • Options
      Cruor wrote: »

Fortunately Death missed my Switch but got my phone instead. There's a spiderweb of cracks right over the virtual keyboard.

You have no idea how many typo's I had to fix in just that sentence alone.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • Options

AAAHHHH! I don't know what it says but my pants are suddenly very tight!!

• Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Now to wait for the English release...

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      Hey look. I am psychic.

Wooooooo.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    • Options
      edited May 2017
      *Runs into the thread, breathing heavily*

Hey guys.. did you hear?.... MonHun is coming to the... oh god damnit! *sits down*

Handsome Costanza on
      Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
      That's great and all but I'd really prefer one that was made from the ground up for Switch.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      edited May 2017
      That's great and all but I'd really prefer one that was made from the ground up for Switch.

You'll eventually get that.

This allows them to put out a fast title on popular new hardware while they work on MH5.

Seidkona on
      Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    • Options
      skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

They're obviously testing the waters.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      I'm more interested in that MH spinoff game. Can they port that to Switch next?

• Options
      AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
      That's quite a logo.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    • Options
      NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular

AAAHHHH! I don't know what it says but my pants are suddenly very tight!!

Poor Google translate, but it as at least understandable:

"This is a News Flash! "Monster Hunter double cross Nintendo Switch Ver." Decision on sale! You can enjoy Nintendo Switch in the Monster Hunter series largest hunt answers to! bit.ly/2riJ8KT #MHXX #nintendoswitch "

• Options
      SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
      So I've learned that playing Fast RMX in handheld mode is dangerous because I gradually draw the screen closer and closer to my face

sig.gif
    • Options
      KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
      I loved MH3U for Wii U. Sure aspects of it felt like it was a 3DS game... but the monsters themselves looked good and the art design for weapons and armor was interesting enough that I didn't care about the muddy textures.

If it lands this year I'll be really happy. If it lands next year... hmm I'll still be keen, but I assume there will be a lot of good titles out by then.

• Options
      Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
      Console Munster Hunster is my favorite Munster Hunster. Four didn't grab me and I skipped Generations expecting XX to show up on Switch. The Switch's screen would mitigate my complaints about 3ds MH anyway, but there's something to be said for beating the tar out of Arzuros in 1080p on my 51" screen.

This discussion has been closed.