As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy about the next season being only 13 episodes. Even better if it means quality over quantity. This season seems to be the opposite of that, which makes me sad.

edit: not that there's any guarantee of quality, of course!

I wish more American shows were only 13 episodes long. There's so much bloat out there that the longer these shows live, the worse they start to feel. The CW's Arrow and Flash could really benefit from reduced seasons.

At the same time, I wonder if this next season of SHIELD will be its last.

The Marvel Netflix shows have suffered from the 13-episode format. A few of them could have benefited from having shorter runs for sure.

The greatest slight against the Marvel shows is that they promised something as well polished as the MCU but it became obvious with each season that they had a rough outline at best and that the production's were being done fly by night.

Daredevil season 1 has a coherent arc for most of it's characters, looks good, and feels like it's taking place in an actual locale (Hell's kitchen jokes aside it feels like NYC).

Every iteration loses bits and pieces of this until you get to iron fist where the character arcs are drawn with spirograph - mostly ending in the same place, the story takes 13 episodes to go nowhere and you have scenes shot in locales like China-on-the-Arthur-Kill.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty happy about the next season being only 13 episodes. Even better if it means quality over quantity. This season seems to be the opposite of that, which makes me sad.

I wish more American shows were only 13 episodes long. There's so much bloat out there that the longer these shows live, the worse they start to feel. The CW's Arrow and Flash could really benefit from reduced seasons.

The Marvel Netflix shows have suffered from the 13-episode format. A few of them could have benefited from having shorter runs for sure.

24 benefited hugely from the shorter format in its last season.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

I feel 13 episodes can be tricky. I like the split 22 episode seasons that AOS does, because it's enough time for two complete story arcs with some thematic ties between them, with enough room for some season long character arcs and side plots.

Thirteen by itself is too long for a single, focused story, but too short to play around too much with one off episodes or side stories. (There are exceptions, of course, but in general.)

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I feel 13 episodes can be tricky. I like the split 22 episode seasons that AOS does, because it's enough time for two complete story arcs with some thematic ties between them, with enough room for some season long character arcs and side plots.

Thirteen by itself is too long for a single, focused story, but too short to play around too much with one off episodes or side stories. (There are exceptions, of course, but in general.)

To be fair, when’s the last time AoS had a one-off?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Holy shit. This show totally did start as monster of the week. God, remember that?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Holy shit. This show totally did start as monster of the week. God, remember that?

Remember that time they plugged a hole in their plane with an inflatable raft?

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    And they had that boring Ward character, just super bland, glad they got rid of him after 15 episodes or so.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Game of Thrones is another interesting case where I'm not actually sure it would benefit from more time. Ostensibly they would have more space to tell more story, but I have the nagging suspicion that if they had more time it would just give people more time to dwell on the issues that simply get glossed over in favor of the fevered pace they've moved at in the later seasons. It's almost like they need 3x or more the number of episodes to do the full story justice, so they are better off not even bothering to try and just skipping to the provocative bits.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Personally I feel like 13 is on the short side, and the problems with the Netflix series (which I like) have little to do with their length.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It all depends on the writers output and what you like. Everything being 13 would suck, everything being 22 would... well, just don't watch them all? :P

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I'd just ignore IW.
    If it gets rolled back like we all assume during IW2, you can just show whatever events happen after the snap back. This assumes it'll get rolled back all the way to the snap, though. If the soup stone just vomits out half the universe when Thanos is defeated, it'll need to be handled differently.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Man, I wish they'd let MCU movie characters guest star in the last season. Or get Bobbi to finally come back.

Also, what else can they do? They've done Spies, Inhumans, Aliens, Magic, Matrix-type elseworlds, Time-travel... I wonder if they can do Hell/underworld?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno if someone isn't 'letting' MCU players guest star in the TV show. Most probably don't want to. The two who've done so are Sam Jackson, who is like an acting shark who will die if he ever turns down a job, and Jamie Alexander, who was a minor character.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I dunno if someone isn't 'letting' MCU players guest star in the TV show. Most probably don't want to. The two who've done so are Sam Jackson, who is like an acting shark who will die if he ever turns down a job, and Jamie Alexander, who was a minor character.

The problem is Blindspot got renewed, otherwise from the events of Thor Ragnarok you'd have a pretty good reason just to have Sif hang out with SHIELD for a while.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

While minor characters, Agent Hill, Dr List, Agent Carter and two of the Howling Commandos also appeared on episodes.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Jaimie Alexander was recruited for Ragnarok, but couldn't because of scheduling issues; it was supposedly just a cameo, which means
    it was probably Sif getting ganked. So now that she wasn't in Ragnarok, Sif can just kind of show up whenever since she's the only one left from Asgard other than Thor.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    IW Spoiler in relation to current conversation.
    Russo's are on record in interviews saying Sif got snapped. So her coming back is a possibility, but her not is too.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Is there any word on what impact (if any) Infinity War is going to have on (movie spoilers below)
    The Netflix shows? Did half of Hell’s Kitchen get snapped? Do they plan to address it there? I can see them fitting it into SHIELD easily enough, but I can’t help thinking a post Infinity War universe really changes the vibe of Jessica Jones, DareDevil et al.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Is there any word on what impact (if any) Infinity War is going to have on (movie spoilers below)
    The Netflix shows? Did half of Hell’s Kitchen get snapped? Do they plan to address it there? I can see them fitting it into SHIELD easily enough, but I can’t help thinking a post Infinity War universe really changes the vibe of Jessica Jones, DareDevil et al.

Infinity War spoilers
    Infinity War SPOILERS
    I kind of feel like they're not going to even reference it.

Though it would definitely be cool to see how people would react to something like that. They could also use the ensuing chaos as the reason why Villain of the Season is able to take over and consolidate their power. Like, half the jailers gone and the other half on the pay roll, Wilson Fisk just walks out of prison and takes things over.

But if they are going to do anything with it, I'm not expecting it until Iron Fist season 2 at the earliest. Luke Cage is already filmed and ready to go, so it's not possible for them to adjust the story.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Infinity War spoilers
    Infinity War SPOILERS

Though it would definitely be cool to see how people would react to something like that. They could also use the ensuing chaos as the reason why Villain of the Season is able to take over and consolidate their power. Like, half the jailers gone and the other half on the pay roll, Wilson Fisk just walks out of prison and takes things over.

But if they are going to do anything with it, I'm not expecting it until Iron Fist season 2 at the earliest. Luke Cage is already filmed and ready to go, so it's not possible for them to adjust the story.

IW effects on Marvel Netflix
    Nothing will happen there until after Avengers 4. Everything on those shows will take place before the snap. If there are lasting effects (i.e. assuming the whole thing doesn't get rewound entirely to the point where nobody notices anything changed), then it'll be prelude to a Daredevil season or something. People will be talking about it, but none of the cast will be missing unless they couldn't get an actor back anyway.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Infinity War spoilers
    Infinity War SPOILERS

IW effects on Marvel Netflix
    Nothing will happen there until after Avengers 4. Everything on those shows will take place before the snap. If there are lasting effects (i.e. assuming the whole thing doesn't get rewound entirely to the point where nobody notices anything changed), then it'll be prelude to a Daredevil season or something. People will be talking about it, but none of the cast will be missing unless they couldn't get an actor back anyway.
    "remember when the purple guy who looked like the big green guy killed half of everybody and our civilisation collpased?" "Yeah, Kingpin used it to buy a lot of real estate, we have to stop him"

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Aha! The next season is going to be shorter because it won’t air until the summer. Marvel want to wait until after Avengers 4 is out, according to Comic Book Resources.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Hmmmmm. So now I would guess (INFINITY WAR SPOILERS)
    that they'll do the snap as a stinger at the end of this season, then spend the first episode or two next season with the remaining characters dealing with it before whatever happens in Avengers 4 presumably brings them back.

I guess this handily avoids both the issue of having to wait for the movie and cutting cast members (unless they want or need to anyway) but man that's gonna be a long wait.

• Options
    Aha! The next season is going to be shorter because it won’t air until the summer. Marvel want to wait until after Avengers 4 is out, according to Comic Book Resources.

I definitely thought it would make the most sense for them to do it this way, but I also didn't think they'd actually do it this way. Cool.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    That makes room for agent carter to come back right guys? Right? I enjoyed agent Carter :(

• Options
    I would love to see Agent Carter come back. All of Natasha's flashback /exposition scenes in Age of Ultron were so much more gut-punching having seen Agent Carter.

I mean, that scene where the undercover Russian spy studied in bed and then smilingly handcuffed herself to her headboard so she could sleep... Jesus fucking Christ that was chilling!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'd love more Farscape!

About as much chance as any other show suddenly getting resurrected.

• Options
    I don't think we're getting another season of Agent Carter. It just didn't do that well, and that second season could have been better. And of course they had to end it on a cliffhanger. Did Jack Thompson survive? He probably would have if there were a third season.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Let’s be honest, the first season of Agent Carter could have been better, too.

Or do we need to go over the idiocy that was Leviathan’s plan?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    That makes room for agent carter to come back right guys? Right? I enjoyed agent Carter :(

Hayley Atwell's last series was cancelled, so one can only hope.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Agent Carter was a disappointing and weak execution on a great concept/character. Haley Atwell deserved better, and so did we.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'm always boggled by the disdain people have for Agent Carter.

Like, everyone's got their own things, and I'm certainly not going to argue whether you should like it or not. I just did--a lot--and it always surprised me that it seems near universally disliked.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    I don't think Agent Carter was an amazing show. It was however, very charming.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    If we can't get Agent Carter back, I'd like a made for tv/netflix/blu-ray movie that wraps up the hanging plot threads and finally has her helping to form SHIELD.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Agent Carter was without a doubt, one of my favorite things to come out of the MCU.

And it also introduced Dottie, one of the best villains of the MCU.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Like, everyone's got their own things, and I'm certainly not going to argue whether you should like it or not. I just did--a lot--and it always surprised me that it seems near universally disliked.

Can't speak for anybody else, but I inherently dislike prequels. I think Dunk and Egg is the only exception to the rule, but it's perfect, so how do I judge that? So Carter started off getting the side eye and crossed arms from me. I warmed up to it because of the cast, but not enough to really care when it got canned.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    If we can't get Agent Carter back, I'd like a made for tv/netflix/blu-ray movie that wraps up the hanging plot threads and finally has her helping to form SHIELD.

Six Two seasons and a movie two-part mini-series!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular

I'm glad you liked it! Like you said, everyone's got their own things. For example, I friggin' loved Netflix's Marco Polo and think it's super weird that it wasn't a hit. But that's okay, it doesn't change how I feel about it.

I'm not going to go into detail about why I was disappointed by Agent Carter S1 and struggled to finish S2. Basically I was really excited for it based on Captain America: The First Avenger and the Agent Carter short, and then thought what they actually produced was fairly low quality. They had short seasons but it felt to me almost as though the showrunners didn't know that - it seemed pretty aimless to me.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Both seasons of Agent Carter didn't know how to stick the landing. But Dottie was always awesome.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I liked Agent Carter a lot, but the things about both seasons that have stayed with me are the characters, not the stories.